Start by marking “Beneath the Blackberry Moon: The Red Feather (Creek Country Saga #1)” as Want to Read:
Beneath the Blackberry Moon: The Red Feather (Creek Country Saga #1)

Beneath the Blackberry Moon: The Red Feather

(Creek Country Saga #1)

On a moonless night in 1813, Adela McGirth encounters a set of wolves and the steely eyed warrior who slays them, searing himself on her heart. When he returns, it’s with a brand of a different sort—the flaming arrows that destroy her life.

In the copper-haired captive, Totka Lawe finds the other half of his spirit. He vows he would die ten deaths to protect her
Published January 14th 2016 by Big Spring Press (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Beneath the Blackberry Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beneath the Blackberry Moon

Start your review of Beneath the Blackberry Moon: The Red Feather (Creek Country Saga #1)
Emilee
This is a must-read for fans of Christian fiction, especially native-America fiction. It's based on some actual events. This is a part of history that has been mostly forgotten. I enjoyed it even more so because it takes place close to my home in southern Alabama. There is a lot of action, some violence, adventure, and a sweet love story. I will be starting book two as soon as possible.
Stella Potts
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. So much history and the romance between the two main characters is awesome. But the book does end with a cliff hanger so don't read book one unless you intend to get Book 2 also.
Valerie
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this almost non-stop and finished in record time for me. I will be reading the next one in the series for sure.
Joleen
An Indian attack on a fort, an Indian raised by a white family joining the attack, women taken into slavery, and love that seems impossible, create a captivating story. You really get a feel for what the Native Americans battled in the hopes of keeping the land once their own.

Wonderful history and beautifully written. I admire that the author sticks to the biblical conviction that, despite the great love they may have for each other, for a Christian to marry they must both be in the
Becky Van Daniker
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Where do I even begin? Beneath the Blackberry Moon is incredible!

I’m one of those people that doesn’t bother to read what the book is about because I like to be surprised as I’m reading. If you love history and romance mixed in with Christian influence, you’ll want to check this one out.

The pages are filled with tons of history that make the story flow beautifully. We’ve all heard certain stories of history about the frontiersmen and Indian tribes, but this was a bit of h
Crystal Gates
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very well written book. I loved it. The storyline wasn’t predictable and the characters became very real and special to me. Highly recommend this book.
Shali
In all honesty, finishing The Red Feather became more of a chore, than anything else. There were multiple typographical errors, and each chapter skips a month ahead, which led me to feel that I was missing out on character and relationship developments.
And on top of the whole thing, the ending left me unsatisfied, and unwilling to continue.

Plus, it hinted at major, unnecessary drama to come in the next book(s). Though, perhaps I'm just reading too much into it, but I felt like it was sayin
Sydney Betts
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Of the dozen or so Christian novels I've read, this was written the best BY FAR. It was so absorbing and compelling that I dared not glance at the first paragraph of the next chapter if I did not have time to commit to reading it all. The action scenes, in fact, were so expertly depicted that it is hard to imagine the author was not a combat veteran. In addition, the historical material appears to be well-researched, even-handed, and accurate.

Why did I not give it all five stars? I would have--
Elaine Cooper
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Award-winning author April W. Gardner is a master at research, then incorporating her historical findings into an amazing piece of fiction based on actual events. "Red Feather" is the first of the 4-book saga called "Beneath the Blackberry Moon." This book draws you into a tale that is both raw and romantic. Gardner is a gifted wordsmith who creates characters that live on in your heart. Highly recommend for fans of historical fiction and romance.
Fiction Aficionado
I love it when I find a new author who becomes an instant favourite, and I had barely finished the first scene of this story before I began to suspect that would happen here. My suspicion was confirmed long before I finished the book. This story is utterly compelling, the writing is rich and engaging, and I was thoroughly immersed in the setting thanks to the author’s attention to historical detail—in particular, the Muscogees’ beliefs and way of life.

I love stories about characters
Christy Lockstein
Wounded Spirits by April W. Gardner is the first book in the Creek Country Saga. Based upon real events during the Creek War in 1812, it tells the story of the war between the Creek Indians and whites from both sides with compassion and honesty. Adela McGirth is known as the quiet and dependable of the three girls in her family. Elder sister, Elizabeth, is used to running the roost, while younger sister, Lillian loves to flirt and play. Adela is being courted by the most eligible man in the area ...more
Rebekah Gyger
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
THIS IS THE BOOK I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR!!!! I may be a little biased. I have loved historical fiction which featured Native Americans as main characters since I was a little girl and ever since then I have sought after a book where the hero was a full blooded Indian and in which the heroine left her culture to live with him while still retaining her faith in Christ. I always told myself that there had to be a book like this out there and when I realized that this was that book, I was hooked fro ...more
Beth Erin
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Full review on Faithfully Bookish http://www.faithfullybookish.com/revi...

April Gardner has captured the beautiful contrast between the beliefs, traditions, and history of the frontiersman and those of their Muscogee neighbors. This story captured my heart and transported me to that tumultuous time in our history. I am a BIG FAN now and I can’t wait to read more!

I received a copy of this book from the author for the purpose of providing an honest review. The opinions expressed are my own.
Regina
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A suspenseful and gripping tale!

All I can say for this novel is WOW! This book had me on edge and turning the pages quickly. Before I knew it I was finished! I cannot wait to see what happens next.
Michelle
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
`The Red Feather` is the first novel in the Beneath the Blackberry Moon series. It is a historical fiction novel about the Creek Indians by author April W. Gardner. The setting is the Mississippi Territory- 1813.

This novel is rather long - 409 pages, and to admit it there were a few times I was ready to throw in the towel and forget it. But, just as I was about to chunk the novel, an interesting part of the story kept me going.

Because the novel has a glossary, discussion question
Rosalinde Gradenwitz
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love April's writing style, she manages to make you feel as if the story is happening around you, bringing the pages to life. It's beautiful to see how the character develop their Faith, along with their love for each other, and this book was much faster in it's pace than the two previous ones which were real page turners for me.
I also loved the fact that the book didn't shy away from the truth. Darker fact in history are not glossed over or romanticized, yet God's presence through it all mak
Alicia
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Beneath the Blackberry Moon: The Red Feather (part 1) is a historical fiction novel about/during the Creek War (1813–1814, a regional war in Alabama and along the Gulf Coast). It's billed as a Christian historical romance series, although there was minimal preachiness until the end. The overall story could have been trimmed down a little with some further editing. And if you want a tidy resolution... you won't get it. This is the sort of series where the storyline contines into the next book, wh ...more
Sandra
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-book
I loved, loved this book. The main character Adela, was a strong but loving character. The story has love, romance, adventure, faith and Gods love. A little bit of something for everyone. Their is a scene in the fort that may be a little difficult for some, although it was very authentic. I received a copy of this book from the author, which I am so thankful for. I was not aware of April Gardner before reading this story of hers. I can't wait to move on to the second book.
Emock
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yes! This book has it all... Compelling story, developed characters with chemistry, well grounded setting, excellent diction and use of native language. Really what does this story lack? I was aware that this was a saga and would continue in to other books, so that didn't bug me. The author artfully foreshadows and ties in pieces over large cross sections. This one is worth every minute and more!
Marci McEntyre
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved the well crafted development of this story. The details of both cultures and traditions gave me a depth to the story I might have otherwise not known without researching the history of the Indian tribes during this time. I eapeciallt loved how the heroine remained steadfast in her faith and love for Jesus. And how she shared that faith with the Creek Indians. Kudos and praise to April Gardner for writing such a wonderful novel!!!
Kay M
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This exciting story begins in June, 1813 in present-day Alabama. It is a poignant story of the conflict between the white Americans and the Native Americans and also their entwining lives. I love this novel, because it captured my interest with its strong characters and intense storyline. Interesting historical fiction and a wonderful love story combine to make this book one that you will not want to put down.
B.J. Coleman
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kept me reading

I couldn't put it down early enough to get much sleep. I even woke up on two consecutive mornings at 2:00 am to read more. My ancestors are Creek. In fact she mentions William McIntosh in the book. I am a direct descendent through his daughter Kate. Details she writes into the story about the Creek and Red Sticks, etc. are so interesting and authentic. Great read.
Karen Hadley
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have fallen in love with this series.
From the minute I began reading I was hooked.
I love the story of a man and a woman from
two different cultures. How God uses the woman
to lead others to Christ as she serves as a slave.
The community of the Indian tribe is so wonderful
and how they fiercely loyal to their clans.
Judith Noameshie
Can't wait to read the second book!

I really enjoyed this book! Well researched and well written. It was hard not to root for Totka and Adela. Also it reminded me, those we consider enemies are precious to the LORD.
sharon sobzak
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Engaging

Very well written descriptions of surroundings, culture and emotions. A look at history from several viewpoints. Some parallels to now can be found for cultures blending and clashing. Powerful emotions.
Thestoryenthusiast
Wow. Just wow. This story gripped me from beginning to end. It is clear it is very well researched and I found the details of Indian history in the southeastern U.S. fascinating. I can't wait to read more of Totka and Copper Woman's story in the next book.
Emily Renee
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!!

I really enjoyed reading this book, and will definitely be buying the 2nd book in this series! I couldn’t put this book down!
Mary Turner
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good book,could hardly put it down. Can hardly wait to get the next book
Susan McCammon
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love this book. I love Christian fiction and I live historical fiction and this has both. I now have a better understanding of the Creek Native American people.
Ann
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Historical,enjoyed the adventure. Adele was a little confusing because she seemed to be able to makeup her mind, because of responsibility.

• Walks Alone
  • Shadowed in Silk
  • A River Too Deep (People of the Book, #1)
  • The Raveling (Age of Faith, #8)
  • More Precious Than Gold
  • The Refuge
  • Rebel (The Brides of Alba #3)
  • The Inconvenient Marriage of Charlotte Beck (Women of the West, #3)
  • Yesterday's Tomorrow
  • A Crown in the Stars (Genesis, #3)
  • For Love or Loyalty (The MacGregor Legacy, #1)
  • Prize of My Heart (Sea Heroes of Duxbury)
  • Among the Poppies
  • Flight to Eden
  • Embrace the Dawn (Scottish Highland, #1)
  • A Flight of Arrows (The Pathfinders, #2)
  • The Captain's Bride (Northern Lights, #1)
APRIL W GARDNER writes Christian historical romance with a focus on our Southeastern Native Tribes. She is also a military wife and mother of two who lives in South Texas. In no particular order, April dreams of owning a horse, learning a third language, and visiting all the national parks.

You can find April at these locations:

Website

You can find April at these locations:

Website
Facebook
Twitter
BookBub

Creek Country Saga (4 books)
  • Beneath the Blackberry Moon: The Sacred Writings (Creek Country Saga #2)
  • Beneath the Blackberry Moon: The Ebony Cloak (Creek Country Saga #3)
  • Drawn by the Frost Moon: Bitter Eyes No More (Creek Country Saga #4)