Start by marking “Otherlife Dreams (The Selfless Hero Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Otherlife Dreams (The Selfless Hero Trilogy, #1)

Otherlife Dreams

(The Selfless Hero Trilogy #1)

Runner has a problem. He and 499,000 men and women of the military are trapped in a game. Runner is the only person in the IT department in game, the only one with administrative access rights. And he doesn't remember his password. When their brains were synched with the game, it scrambled most of their memories.

The problem is that whoever loaded their minds into the gam
Published January 21st 2016 by William D. Arand

To ask other readers questions about Otherlife Dreams, please sign up.
Robert
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Otherlife Dreams (The Selfless Hero Trilogy, #1)
Gavin
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Otherlife Dreams was the first book in William D. Arand's Selfless Hero Trilogy. It was typical LitRPG with a classic Sword Art Online set up. It was actually pretty hardcore on the RPG aspect and elements of the story even for a LitRPG book! What is had going for it was that despite going heavy on the RPG nature of the VR world the hero found himself trapped in this was not one of those LitRPG books that got bogged down in endless streams of mindless, repetitive, stats. It had some stats for su ...more
Melisa
Jun 07, 2016 rated it liked it
"This one's for the guys."

I think this book has a very specific audience; RPG players who are male. I've played many RPGs and enjoy virtual reality stories but, being female, don't really fit the target audience. Why does it seem like it's for guys only? Because every female character description includes her bust size. And they are all gaga over the main character. All..of...them. And all the secondary characters ARE female. Yeah. Other things I found annoying that you may not include a charact
Ian
Oct 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
The initial concept was fun: Thousands stuck in game, game glitched, main character is special because of the breadth of his skills rather than having one special thing. Then the main character met a few other people (all beautiful girls) and the wheels came off. I found my eyes skipping over entire paragraphs just to get past the truly wretched dialogue and the description that surrounds it. Why comment on every girl's appearance every time you talk to them? Why leer CONSTANTLY and tell the rea ...more
Jordan
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
The idea of a character being launched into and stuck inside an MMO is becoming a regular genre these days but William Arand manages to separate himself from the pack. Most protagonists usually benefit from their status in the form of unique buffs etc. However at the star of this story, Runner the main character is actually disadvantaged and bravo to the writer for starting at this point.

Unfortunately that's about it, great idea but the dialogue was cringe worthy, if Runner isn't preaching to s
Steve Naylor
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Rating 3.0 stars

I did this backwards. I read all the other William D. Arand books first and now I am reading this. With other peoples reviews it seemed like all the other books in some way tied into this one. So far, this is one of the weaker books this author has written. It started off pretty well. The main character Runner had a goal in mind. He was leveling up, he built his group up with sexy unique women and then..... pretty much nothing. Nothing really happened in the second half of the b
Soo
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, reviewed
Mini-Review:

4 Stars for Narration by Jeff Hays
3 Stars for Story

Pros:
- At 2x speed, the story didn't take long.
- Jeff Hays' narration gave the story more personality.
- Simple plot and cookie-cutter characters.
- Writing was okay.

Cons:
- Vague setting for both virtual & real worlds.
- God Mode
- Uninteresting Harem Setup
- Conflicting plot line vs actual events within the book.
- Stuff just happens but not in a manner that makes me more curious about the event or idea. Refer back to God Mode.
- If the
Johnny
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Solid

This is a good fun read and I await the second book.
Does have some editing problems, but I didn't find many.
Gergana
Sep 16, 2016 marked it as zzz-books-not-for-me
DNF: 50%
This book is not meant for me... Kittens. Everyone else appears to like it though, so probably it's just me.

Read in September, 2016
Bookwyrm Speaks
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book is about Runner, a Military ship computer system analyst, who, at the start of the book, wakes up with no real memories, and a computer prompting him to enter name and password to access his system. He finds he cant remember the password, but a prompt shows him that if he enters the game he is logged into, he will be able to level up and regain his memories, with the caveat that if he dies in game, he will be brain dead in real life. He then tries to set up a game character, but it glit ...more
James Halski
Aug 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Ok i'm not gonna lie to you, half the thing that got me to read this book was the cover.

I'll tell you what Collin, it was a bit slow in the first half but they really picked it up after halftime. Went from zone coverage to man to man and they really brought the fight back in the last quarter. But was it enough to get us through to the semi-finals? We can't be sure. I've got shiny book syndrome...ohh look a book about space.....
Bobby Nichols
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting

Very different than most of the genre, the main story here isa dependent on the surrounding story. It's an interesting change of pace.

The characters are excellent and detailed. I want to know more about the game world though, and those details are sparse and slow in coming. That's the only reason this book didn't get 5 stars.
Kian
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
The first book is slow to engage but in the end, it gets exciting and the characters are varied. I was hesitant about this story but things get really interesting from book 2. Hope there was more.
Steve
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
This was actually a re-read of this series, as it'd been long enough that the last installment of Fostering Faust had Runner elements in it that were foggy for me.

The setting and premise are interesting and provide essentially unlimited potential for world-building or just settings for books. That's convenient, as that's exactly what the author[s] do with other tie-in book series.

All that said, this is one of the weaker books in that constellation. I can't really put my finger on it, but it jus
GaiusPrimus
Nov 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: litrpg
A really interesting entry into the LitRPG genre.

More realistic to a certain extent than some of the other books I've read in the genre, with an interesting twist/explanation to the skills of the main character. The "gaming system" is a bit all over the place, and you can see that the author didn't put a ton of time into it but it's not a detriment to the story.

My biggest issue with the book is the way the "party" comes about. I don't want to sound like a SJW but when the guy only meets women,
Dave Stone
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
pretty good, wacky premise, a little dumb
Yes this is a harem, but with no sex. (like Star Justice by Michael-Scott Earle)
Pretty sure this is the first book by William D. Arand and everything you love about Super Sale on Super Heroes is here. you've got your cocky hero who cracks jokes about indiscriminate killing, and then is guilt ridden over killing rapists and murderers. once again a strong cast of fiery independent women who take no guff from the cocky hero. add an interesting plot twist o
Friday
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Americanized version of Manga/Anime Fantasy & Video Game sub-genre - Trapped in Fantasy MMORPG (with additional Harem, sub-genre, with the honest shy guy variant rather than pervy lead). Follows typical and prominant examples of the genre closely in content, plot, characters, ideas and style. Some minor variations, mostly negligable, and somewhat Westernized.

Watch the original Sword Art Online, and you're there (though it is better than this book).
John Cruo
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely a great series. In a way it reminds me of a few different books like way of the shaman and the gam3 kind of mixed together in a good way. I love the idea of converting NPCs and that the main protagonist is basically the Super novice class, which is rare and innovative.

I would say more, but I have read the entire series and I'm afraid I would accidentally throw out a spoiler.

But I am a fan of this author and all his work.
Jay Collins
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
These type books are not my favorite but I must say I did like this one and have no issue giving it 3.5 stars. Great story and likable characters. I will continue with the series. Hmm maybe 3.75 Stars is better for this book and I will mark it as 4 and keep it at that if the series proves to be as good as the first book.
Mahesh
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A little confusing but a very good story

This was quite different from the other books of author. This is kind of like more SciFi than fantasy and I loved that. Sometimes it was confusing but at the end all my doubts cleared with all the context provided. Will definitely jump to next one!
Jeffrey S. Samuels
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
excellent story

one of the best treatments of gaming literature that I have found. The story is entertaining, the premise is cohesive, and I really wish the next installment was available.
Matthew Vaughn
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dang good book

A very solid book. Well thought out, and unique in it's components. If you can get passed the miscellaneous spelling and grammar errors (missing commas and periods, not always following the same capitalization rules, etc.) You will love this book.
Garrett
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very solid book in the genre. The unique ideas couple well with the written time frame, and seem to create plot twists on their own. Can't wait to see how the end of Otherlife Dreams is continued on in Otherlife Nightmares. Well done. ...more
Angel Ludwig
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Cool story

The editing needs work--the author and editor both need to revisit comma and -ly usage among other issues--but the genre's tropes are used well and the story is developing well so far.
Peter
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
A few minor editing glitches that didn't noticeably bug me in no way detract from a great read; well-written story leads to great open-ended finish with promise of brilliance ahead ;) ...more
Kaladin
May 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobook
gave up. couldn't hold me interest ...more
Alexander Eszes
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome Read

The action and humor were fun and prevelent. There was never a dull moment. Scott and Linda welcome you :-)
Wolfgarr
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very good series. I would recommend this to almost anyone.

A word though. Definitely a Guys book.
Lady Alleta
Aug 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: litrpg
Peter
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a review for the entire Otherlife trilogy (Dreams, Nightmares, Awakening).

The first book was what I'd come to expect from Arand. A fun and enjoyable read, but not the kind of thing I'd recommend to my friends. Arand's prose hiccups in a few places and can be a bit generic if nothing interesting is going on. Fortunately, Otherlife: Dreams is full of interesting things. Runner is constantly trying to figure out what's happened and find a solution, a mystery that kept me reading due to its
Jose Cruz
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A harem adventure, but it's still really good

This is the story of Runner, who is being logged into a virtual world to attempt to save himself and 499,000 men and women from being entrapped in a game. The only specifics Runner remembers is he is IT personnel on a ship, but can't remember his password to get him into the systems to help everyone. The issue is that all the "players" had their consciousness fully loaded and and if they die, they go brain dead IRL. It doesn't help matters that the p
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Glad! 1 8 Jan 24, 2016 09:44PM

• Eastern Expansion (Wild Wastes, #2)
  • Wild Wastes (Wild Wastes, #1)
  • Southern Storm (Wild Wastes, #3)
  • Fostering Faust (Fostering Faust, #1)
  • Fostering Faust 3 (Fostering Faust, #3)
  • Fostering Faust 2 (Fostering Faust, #2)
  • Remnant II (Remnant, #2)
  • Remnant (Remnant, #1)
  • Incubus Inc. (Incubus Inc., #1)
  • Remnant III (Remnant, #3)
  • Incubus Inc. II (Incubus Inc., #2)
  • Mask of the Template (Celestine Chronicles ,#1)
  • Forged Bonds (Binding Words, #4)
  • Herald of Shalia
  • Life Bonds (Binding Words, #2)
  • Token of the Blessed (Celestine Chronicles ,#4)
  • Gamer for Life (Alpha World, #1)
  • Sword of the Tyrant (Celestine Chronicles ,#5)

The Selfless Hero Trilogy (3 books)
  • Otherlife Nightmares (The Selfless Hero Trilogy, #2)
  • Otherlife Awakenings (The Selfless Hero Trilogy, #3)

News & Interviews

Nature, in Her infinite awesomeness, can provide solace even when you’re stuck in the house. As a matter of fact, the numbers suggest that...
“A plan rarely survives contact with the enemy and all that, but I’d still rather not plan to fail because I failed to plan,” 0 likes
“Seize the fish, tempus flytrap, time waits for nomads.” 0 likes