Start by marking “The Sign of One” as Want to Read:
The Sign of One

The Sign of One (Sign of One #1)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  130 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
ONE FOR SORROW, TWO MEANS DEATH.

In the Barrenlands of Wrath, no one dies of old age. Kyle is used to its harsh laws, but the cold-blooded separation of identical twins and execution of the 'evil twists' at the Annual Peace Fair shocks him.

Published April 7th 2016 by Egmont UK

To ask other readers questions about The Sign of One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sign of One

Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
3.5 out of 5 stars!

T/W: Scenes of execution

This was a YA Science Fiction novel that I had thought about reading for a while, but today was the day I sat down and read it in just a few hours. The first book in a trilogy, that I do plan to continue reading on with. In this world, if twins are born, then one twin is assumed to be good and the other evil. They get separated and the community witnesses horrific executions to those who are caught up in betrayals. After his first venture to one of the
Annika
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an intense read! The Sign of One adds a slight YA twist to the sci-fi thriller, and does it well.

Full of quick twists and portraying a protagonist who seems very real, the Sign of One is pretty much unputdownable. An intriguing story that moves at a quick pace and doesn't spare you the slightly gory details, it also offers you an interesting world where some people are despised only because they were born as identical twins.

This was more interesting to me than a lot of thrillers I've re
Eugene
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Well, as the author I would give it five stars, wouldn't I? Is that bad? ;-)
Yzabel Ginsberg
[I received a copy of this book through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.]

2.5 stars. I'm not exactly sure how to rate this novel, because it was entertaining... but nothing I've never seen before. I guess I've just read too many “dystopian YA” novels to be easily awed?

Good things:
* There's a romantice arc, but it's far from being the main focus. The characters don't act like dumbstruck hormone-governed bodies who'll place a kiss above the fate of the world.

* The sci-fi background. It
Delbridl
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Syndi Day
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
i was the lucky winner of a copy of this novel through a goodreads win. it is a very unusual story about a futuristic world on another planet which is both sophisticated and primitive. in this culture identical twins are called subjects and are marked by chopping off the end of their little fingers. being born an identical twin is not good. as children they are subjected to a ritual to determine which one lives and which one dies. the two main characters meet up and discover they are both secret ...more
Gillian
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Kyle lives in a regime where twins are feared and the regime is all-powerful. Secrets of his past life come to haunt him and he must find out who he truly is. Definitely a YA book - much of it reads too young for adults - but I enjoyed the dystopian background, characters and premise enough to read to the end (although it did take me 5 days, which if you know me, says it all!).
Williamss2905
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this thing down a fantastic read love it and can't wait for the second instalment
XinaHailey
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
A tale of twins.. With a twist! (pun entirely intended)
In a world where being born a twin means death or inevitable solitude, Eugene brings to life the ideas of being 'other' in a society that wants you to do nothing more than to fit in. A gripping Sci-Fi tale that had me eagerly reading on, finishing the entire novel in under 24 hours.

I look forward to the next installment in what I believe is going to be a trilogy!!
Brenda
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story!

The Sign of One is a great read, particularly for fans of sci-fi/fantasy and dystopian novels. As a reader, I tend to prefer relatable dystopian and science-fi/fantasy. I do not like anything that is “too far out there” and all about the world, tech, and gadgets. I want a character driven story just with an original setting that adds a new dimension to the story. The Sign of One achieves this. As I was reading this book, I felt tones/shades of Star Wars and Ender’s Game. Fans of thes
Lorna
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have to confess that when it comes to the realms of fantasy and science fiction I do tend to favour the fantasy side. Sci-fi would never be my first choice of genre, however, every now and then a book comes along that changes my mind. The Sign Of One is one of those books.

Living in the Barrenlands of Wrath, people are used to hardship. Life is tough, and usually brief. However, after Kyle attends his first Annual Peace Fair his world is turned upside down. Being ignorant of what the Peace Fair
Janine
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Sign of One is an action-filled science fiction set in a world with all the key features of a terrifying dystopian society. A tyrannical leader, harsh laws, struggling lower class citizens and of course, a secret rebellion.

The story kicks off with a fast pace from the beginning and rarely lets up throughout. As can be typical of first stories in a new dystopian world it does start with somewhat of a barrage of ter
Arwen
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
ONE FOR SORROW, TWO MEANS DEATH.

When Kyle himself is betrayed, he flees for his life with the reluctant help of Sky, a rebel pilot with a hidden agenda. As the hunt intensifies, Kyle soon realises that he is no ordinary runaway, although he has no idea why. Fighting to learn the hideous truth
Nicola Lush
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Sign of One is an exciting, gripping read from start to finish. Set in a dystopian wasteland called Wrath, where twins are regarded as evil, the appealing protagonist Kyle is horrified at his first visit to the Peace Fair. There he sees racks of cages, each with a pair of terrified twins inside, waiting to discover which one has twisted blood and will be executed. But then the Reapers attack, and Kyle gets hit by a blaster. His injuries should kill him but somehow he survives - a fact which ...more
Lozzi Counsell
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it
CONTAINS SPOILERS
This was a really good book with highly developed characters who all had flaws that made them more relatable to the reader. The one character who probably wasn't as believeable was Wink - the way she spoke and acted made her seem a bit older than her actual age, but I still fell in love with her. The reason I marked this book down was due to the ending (very good ending) but I sense that it is most likely the first book in a series and although I have the want to read the next b
Eleanor Whitehead
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really loved it. I thought it was surprisingly well written for its genre (YA dystopia) and the story romped along once we were past the scene setting. I couldn't put it down for the last hundred pages. The plot twists and turns enjoyably (apologies for the bad pun!) and as the landscape was so vividly drawn it was easy to become completely absorbed by the tale. The Sign of One felt as though there were influences of Mad Max and Star Wars but that was no bad thing. The characters were not comple ...more
Emma Christina
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I devoured this in one go, a brilliant story, brilliantly gritty and relateable characters and a interesting new dystopian world (which reminded me of an outer planet from Firefly) with new and frightening rules and ideas. The only thing i would criticise is that sometimes the amount of new words and animals made it flow a little less smoothly than it could have, but this is a minor thing. Looking forward to revisiting this in a sequel.
Scott
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes characters get lost in science fiction novels because the worldbuilding and technology overshadow their flesh and blood struggles. Not in The Sign of One. The characters, exotic locations, and fast-moving plot are beautifully balanced, and you see and live through every (occasionally horrible) experience that Kyle struggles through.
I loved it, although I shiver every time I use a kitchen knife now. Poor Kyle!
You must read this book. Can't wait for the next in the series.
Bobby Lambert
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although not a young adult or a fan of science fiction / dystopian worlds, I enjoyed reading the book. I found the story well-told, rattled along, good descriptions, not overdone. Violence not too graphic and interesting device about recovering quickly. Some interesting questions posed (how did one twin become different?), answers maybe in next book in series? I would certainly recommend it.
Patricia Moren
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another enthralling Sci-Fi with a multitude of great characters and a fascinating storyline, taking place on a desolate planet called Wrath. Eventually good conquers evil and the planet has a chance to recover and right the wrongs of the past. Possibly a chance for a sequel but this story has a conclusion.
Karen Barber
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
4.5 star rating
A slow start as we get to grips with life in the Barrenlands. Kyle is warned not to attend the annual Peace Fair-when he does, an awful chain of events begins.
Once we learn more about the way the world is set up, I found this gripping.
Some well-drawn characters; full of action and an ending full of hope.
Will certainly recommend this.
Sarah Roberts
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This marks the first part in what promises to be an excellent trilogy. The action begins immediately when Kyle ‘chooses’ to visit the Annual Peace Fair and the pace doesn’t relent throughout the rest of the story.

For the full review, please visit The Read Box:

Michele Barnes
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: p-mccleod
Not my favourite book but I kept going with it. The ending was predictable, setting up the next instalment. I did like the lead character Sky and sympathised with her desire to find her sister. Maybe will read the sequel
Sarah Lloyd
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Omg the Gemini folks - LeGuin, Ballard, Ness... Bravo Eugene Lambert.

Best young adult fiction since Northern Lights.
Bethany (thelittlebookblog)
Really good book, review to come
Vincent Ripley
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Book review will be posted on www.mrripleysenchantedbooks.com
Kirsty
Sep 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Not my sort of read so leaving and moving on
Maia Moore
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Original review posted here

I saw this book tipped as The Maze Runner meets The Fire Sermon and that didn’t really make me want to read it as I didn’t particularly enjoy either of those books. However, I was sent the sequel to review and thought I’d get the first book (via a birthday present from Nathan) and give it a go.

I’m really glad I did. I see where the comparisons come from with those two books, but this was so much better to me. It was like everything I wanted from those two books but did
Emma Joseph
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Decent read but not outstanding. I read the first third in a night. Thought it was looking like a great read. I thought the concept of the pure bloods and twists was interesting.
The middle was just plain boring. I went days without picking it up and when I did I wasn’t hooked. I felt like the author was filling time and nothing significant happened.
I pushed on and enjoyed the ending. I’m considering reading on now where as yesterday I wasn’t.
Has a hunger games type feel to it. Typical dystopian
Avery
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
It was a good read, but the plot was typical corrupted government and I found it was kind of predictable
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Eugene Lambert is a refugee from the world of science and engineering, and a graduate from Bath Spa University's MA in Writing For Young People. When not scribbling away in his cabin, he flies gliders and goes for long walks. The rumours of him suffering from a severe work allergy and being an identical twin are both true...

Eugene's debut SF thriller, The Sign of One, was shortlisted for the AM He
More about Eugene Lambert

Sign of One (2 books)
  • Into the No-Zone (Sign of One, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Caves of Steel (Robot, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
  • The Great Glass Sea
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)