Start by marking “The Secret Diary of Lydia Bennet” as Want to Read:
The Secret Diary of Lydia Bennet

The Secret Diary of Lydia Bennet

In the tradition of Longbourn, Mr. Darcy's Diary, and Prom and Prejudice...

Lydia is the youngest of the five Bennet girls. She's stubborn, never listens, and can't seem to keep her mouth shut--not that she would want to anyway. She's bored with her country life and wishes her older sisters would pay her attention . . . for once!

Luckily, the handsome Wickham arrives at Long
Published October 25th 2016 by The Chicken House

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Diary of Lydia Bennet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Diary of Lydia Bennet

Lola
Aug 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: retellings
Oh Lydia, why must you be so clueless?

Lydia is one of those characters who you cannot fully love but neither can you fully hate. She is so very flawed but so very young and human also, and because of that, we can’t exactly blame her for everything.

In ‘‘The Secret Diary of Lydia Bennet,’’ we get a behind the scenes of what happens to Lydia when she leaves for Brighton. Since it’s written in journal entries, we get every one of Lydia’s thoughts and adventurers—more like misadventures.

I definitel
Cait • A Page with a View
I absolutely love Pride & Prejudice retellings (or spinoffs or whatever you want to call them), but this one didn't really work for me. The tone and characters just didn't fit and felt more like bad fanfiction than anything associated with Jane Austen. Plus, there's not much plot and the whole thing was pretty dull.
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Love, family, adventure, disappointment, learning.

So, here's the thing...

I don't like Pride and Prejudice.

I did like this story immensely.

I loved how Lydia's passion and impulsiveness came across - in the pages of this story she was very different from the character we see a little of in P&P, but still so faithful to Austen's creation.

Full review to come.
Kristin Davison
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: austen, library, ya

I loved this!

Lydia becomes a three dimensional character with thoughts and feelings and I loved the twist to her story. The writing perfectly represents her without becoming annoying.
Hailee
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A unique take on Lydia's version of Pride and Prejudice and the motives behind her actions.

This is written in diary form from Lydia Bennet’s perspective, the youngest Bennet sister in Pride and Prejudice and the author takes it for granted that the reader will have a good working knowledge of the plot of Pride and Prejudice. The diary format allows the reader to see Lydia’s surprisingly sympathetic feelings about the things that are happening to both her family and herself and still ma
Trin
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Mature" is not a word one would usually apply to Lydia Bennet, but this was a surprisingly mature and imaginative take on Lydia's part of Pride and Prejudice. That Farrant manages to accomplish this while staying true to the original story and creating her own lively, engaging narrative voice is truly impressive -- I picked this up while ordering, intending to do my due diligence by reading a few pages, and found I couldn't stop. Farrant finds depth in Lydia while still acknowledging her childi ...more
Robin Stevens
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a book I didn't know that I needed until I read it. Very clever and fresh and funny, Natasha isn't trying to be Jane at all - she's just telling a great story from her world. I loved this! 12+ (because you probably should have read Pride and Prejudice first)

Anni K. Mars
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es hat soo viel Spaß gemacht :D Es war spannend und interessant, romantisch und abenteuerlich. Nur das Ende hat mich ein klitzekleines Bisschen gestört. Es ging mir dann einfach zu schnell.
Alles in allem ein tolles Buch für jeden, der die Welt von Stolz und Vorurteil noch einmal besuchen möchte :)
Michaela Aisling
more of a 3.5?
Kirsti
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, if you've read any of my reviews about other P&P retellings, then in order to catch my interest they must be high quality, believable and unique, but still keep that infinite feel of P&P. This hooked me from the very beginning! This was not the Lydia I thought I knew, but rather a twist on a character that oddly enough worked well for the book. Coming from someone who drinks her tea from a "I'd rather be at Pemberley" mug, you know how dear I hold the original book. This is a worth ...more
Aisling O'Rourke
Review to follow soon!
Nasty Lady MJ
Oct 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
To see full review click here.

Another Jane Austen retelling?

Insert disappointment.

I know, I know. I should know better. I have been through so many of these retellings at this point I should be able to know instantly that 9/10 times I’m not going to like them The Secret Diary of Lydia Bennett was no exception.

Full disclosure, I bought this book thinking it was somehow related to the web series that everyone has bemoaning about for the past few years with a slight recover design. It’s not though.
Lauralee
Lydia is one of the most annoying and hated characters in Pride and Prejudice. When she marries George Wickham, we are happy that she is sent to live a life of unhappiness. Yet, in The Secret Diary of Lydia Bennet, we are given a look from Lydia’s perspective during her romance with George Wickham. Thus, we the reader not only get to hear her side of the story, but we get a glimpse of Lydia’s character.

Lydia is still childish and silly. However, she is still a teenager. She makes mistakes. She
Zane Jones
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. It was interesting to get someone else's thoughts about Lydia Bennet, and I did come out liking her a bit more. (Although she's still immensely annoying.) There were a few MINOR SPOILER too many kisses for my taste, but I was grateful that was all content-wise. There are also several uses of "Lord" and "God" in ways I wouldn't prefer, but it was accurate to the original. It was definitely not written in the same style as Pride and Prejudice, which I honestly appreciated, but stuck to ...more
Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛
-POTENTIAL SPOILERS-

This was really cute! I've read Pride and Prejudice parts of it, and despite finding Lydia kinda impulsive and annoying, I always felt sorry for her ultimate fate of running off with a man who didn't love her, then being made to marry him to protect her reputation.

However, I still found her interesting in spite of all that, and wanted to know what was going through her head when she said and did everything she....well said and did.

I will now consider this book canon as t
Elizabeth Mathis
In the tradition of Longbourn, Mr. Darcy's Diary, and Prom and Prejudice...

Luckily, the handsome Wickham arrives at Longbourn to sweep her off her feet. Lydia's not going to let him know THAT, of course, especially since he only seems to be inte
Yasmine
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Oh well, I did not love this book, but I did not hate it either, however annoyed I was with Lydia.

But just "meh"... I kinda knew even before starting that I would find it shallow, and it was a great deal shallow - therefore a great book for metro rides and lazy Saturday afternoons.

It was nice to see how the author tried to make Lydia a sort of feminist and strong character, but it nevertheless failed because Lydia is just so shallow and, well, not the brightest, however strong she was sometimes
Z
Lydia Bennet is the famously 'wild' sister in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. I suspected this book would attempt to 'explain' her behaviour and while in parts it does in other ways it is simply another story which centres on her.

I should say this is not, as I initially thought, solely a book that tells Pride and Prejudice from a different angle, there is new aspects of story to make it new and not repetitive.

While I did enjoy it, I wouldn't say it's something I'd consider a 'must read'.
Olivia
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that Lydia is a fantastic book, showing the much loved personality and exasperating thoughts of a young teenaged girl set rouge in Brighton in the late 18th century/ early 19th century. It explores further into the youngest Bennet daughter from Pride and Prejudice and gives her the leading role as she has been longing for. Separated from her somewhat reserved sisters seems to unleash a whole new light for the youngest Bennet daughter and she is encouraged by her 'snobby' sister Mary to t ...more
Miz
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this!! A bit (a lot) of artistic licence, but it was nice to hear the nice side of Lydia. Recommend!
katayoun Masoodi
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
i really enjoyed this, easy writing and making lydia come alive and being seen from a new angle.
Felicia Moore
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
very good book!!
Claire Saim
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dans le roman originel de Jane Austen "Orgueil et préjugés", ainsi que dans les différentes adaptations télévisuelles ou cinématographiques, Lydia, la jeune soeur Bennet, passe toujours pour -si ce n’est la plus stupide- au moins pour la plus frivole et la plus inconséquente. C’est par elle que le malheur arrive, c’est elle qui fait courir une grave disgrâce à toute sa famille, et il nous semble que peu lui importent les conséquences.

Dans ce roman, Lydia tient, sur une année, un journal intime,
Erikka
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: austen-fan-fic, 2017
I enjoyed this. Lydia is typically a silly and underdeveloped character. This fleshed her out a bit, gave her a voice and ambitions, and explained her relationship with Wickham a bit more. I actually started to like her, which is an impressive achievement on the author's part. I was a little disappointed in the non-period language (although she explains why in the afterword), but I liked the diary format. Also, the research on clothing and topography were quite well done and you can tell she enj ...more
Becky -  Pug and Books
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
"He entered. His beauty in scarlet regimentals was overwhelming. The world went black and I thought perhaps I had died, but then Kitty nudged me and I realized that I was alive, but had merely closed my eyes."

Lydia is my absolute favorite Bennet sister, she's frivolous, self-absorbed and completely unaware most of the time that she in inappropriate. I really enjoyed that someone decided to delve into Lydia and her character.

In this book Farrant makes Lydia far more complex than in the original
Maddie Senator
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for Pride and Prejudice, so sometimes when I see other authors' attempts at adding to the original story, I pick them up and try them. Most of the time I'm really disappointed because they turn out to be unrealistic or weird or because they try too hard to sound like Jane Austen and fail. But I'm glad I took a chance on this one, because I ended up really liking it! I gobbled it up. Though I was kind of skeptical of some of the new characters and the plot twists Farrant introduced, ...more
Carlisa Cramer
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
*ARC Gifted to me from Miss Print's ARC Adoption program. This in no way influenced my rating on the book.*

When I first heard of this book, I wasn’t so sure. The cover definitely isn’t the best thing, and it sounds like a copycat of The Secret Diary of Lydia Bennet from the Youtube Lizzie Bennet Diaries series. But it’s really not. And I’m glad that I read it. It was a pleasant surprise that I really enjoyed.

BTW: I’ve seen a better alternate cover and a different title: The Wild Girl of Pride an
Jessica Wilhoite
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen
I loved this book! :)
Edel
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a big fan of Pride and Prejudice I was so excited to get to read this book about the boldest member of the Bennett family . Lydia's story takes place at the same time as the original Pride and Prejudice so it's easy to jump into the story if you are already familiar with the plot. Mary gives Lydia a journal for her to keep in the hope it will improve her sister , so begins a look into this outgoing Bennett sisters life in diary form. Seeing the story from Lydia's perspective is an eye open ...more
Lauren
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I-I tried?

Okay, so this book is sort of a reimagining of Pride and Prejudice. Oh Jesus.
Now, now, this doesn't automatically make the book bad. I mean, sure Pride and Prejudice is a timeless classic relevant even 200 years after its publish date, but I'm SURE it'll be fine.
...And it was. Fine.
Okay, so before I dig into this book similar to a starved hyena getting a scrap of food, I want to talk about the good things. Because there are good things. Just not...great thing.
1). The book isn't
  • Secrets, Schemes and Sewing Machines
  • The It-Girl (The It Girl, #1)
  • A World Between Us
  • Sawbones
  • Season of Promise (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #3)
  • Othergirl
  • Brave Jane Austen: Reader, Writer, Author, Rebel
  • Revenge of the Star Survivors
  • One Glimpse (Indulgence, #2)
  • Transported: The Diary of Elizabeth Harvey, Australia, 1790
  • Rational Creatures
  • Spandex and the City
  • Darcy and Elizabeth: Love Blooms at Pemberley: A Sweet Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • The Middle of Nowhere
  • The Many Lives of Fitzwilliam Darcy
  • Gloss (Gloss, #1)
  • Mike's Place: A True Story of Love, Blues, and Terror in Tel Aviv
  • The Persuasion of Miss Jane Austen
Natasha Farrant grew up in the heart of London's French community, and currently combines writing with her career as a Literary Scout. She is the author of two successful novels for adults, Diving Into Light and Some Other Eden, both published by Transworld. She lives in West London with her husband, two daughters and a large tortoiseshell cat.
“Books may not judge you, but people do.” 4 likes
“It has started to snow. We all ran out when it began, and played at catching flakes as we used to when we were children. But it was cold, and our boots and gloves and cloaks were soon wet - you feel these things more when you are grown-up.” 2 likes