Start by marking “First Light (Forever After, #1)” as Want to Read:
First Light (Forever After, #1)

First Light (Forever After #1)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  351 Ratings  ·  130 Reviews
Seventeen-year-old Adrielle doesn’t believe in magic; she merely possesses it, though no one has ever mentioned that her unusual gifts—exceptional speed, a flair for fire, and an intimate knowledge of flora—aren’t things she was born with. When Adrielle starts a fire that burns down the family home, she must deal with both her grief and her siblings’ hurtful rejection.

Whi
494 pages
Published February 25th 2016 by Mirror Press

To ask other readers questions about First Light, please sign up.
Christi Yes it is clean. There is no sexual content whatsoever and reads like a fairytale.

Kathy * Bookworm Nation
Isn’t this cover gorgeous? So, so pretty! I admit, I wanted to read this just because of the cover, not knowing anything else about it. I was initially surprised to see this was written by Ms. Holmes, since most of her books are set in the Regency genre. I love it when authors branch out though and since I’ve enjoyed her other books I was looking forward to reading this one.

This was a very enchanting story! A mash-up of a bunch of different fairytales and yet completely unique and all its own. I
Chrissy
I usually have a lot of self control when it comes to books. I read after my chores are done or when I am waiting for something, like preschool pick-up. My self control flew out the window with this one. I was reading it at 10 am this morning because I had to finish it! I had to know how it resolved. It was so good.

This is an unexpected re-telling of Sleeping Beauty. Our main character is so likable. She's kind, and smart, and makes mistakes. She tries to be good and I loved that about her. Our
Jessie
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fresh and Familiar

First Light was a great new fairytale series. It referenced and included aspects from familiar fairytales, especially Sleeping Beauty, yet was new and refreshing.

Some stories lay everything out there and take you on a journey that is clear from the beginning. This was not one of those stories. I was driven to understand and make sense of this new kingdom and world. A world of princes and princesses, fairies, magic, curses, and an evil queen.

The queen was so despicable she broug
Kristen
Really enjoyed this one. Loved Cristian's & Adriella's relationship. Great story, villains & characters. It seemed like so many different aspects of the fairy tales were thrown in there. Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, etc. Can't wait to read the next one in the series...

Moral Note: Clean language, clean romance, mild-heavy violence.
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
3.5 Stars

FIRST LIGHT was a fairy tale with plenty of references to the ones we know, but all twisted up into a delightfully new adventure! With dashing and lovable characters, a kingdom in peril, and a destiny and romance to fight for, this was an enjoyable and entertaining read.

The characters had to be my favorite aspect of this story. They were great. Truly. I loved their weaknesses and their strengths, their good intentions and desires, their courage, and the way the relationships developed a
Shash
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love fairy tales! These were the first stories I ever fell in love with, the stories I wanted my mom to read to me again and again. With these as my first love, I always get excited when I pick up a fairy tale re-telling. And this was a great one to pick up and read! It is full of fairy tales! While the dominant fairy tale nod is to Sleeping Beauty, the story is full of other fairy tale references. I probably didn’t even catch them all. Oh, well! I’ll just have to read it again. And yes, I wou ...more
Melissa
This was a great book. A very interesting fairytale retelling with a little Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and a tiny bit of Snow white. So fun I never knew where this book was going to take me. There were lots of twists and turns. The Characters were great loved the Heroine and Hero and the Wicked Queen was truly wicked. Some strong supporting characters also that really strengthen the book. The ending was so fun and such a good surprise! I was a little worried I have liked all 3 of Michele's othe ...more
Sam B

I received this ebook through ebooksforreview in exchange for an honest review.

I first discovered this author through her Hearthfire Romance series. I absolutely loved this series, so when I had the opportunity to review this book I had high expectations. I must admit I was a little deceived as I didn’t like this book nearly as much as her other series.

First, some parts of the book were way to slow for me. The author would catch my attention, but wouldn’t get back to the “suspense” for
Jessica Jenson
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: never-read-again
I like to think that I'm a fair reader.

And I mean fair in the sense that I can open a book and delve into the story with no preconceived notions of how horrible it's going to be. So even though I have read another book by this author that I decidedly didn't like, I pushed aside my skepticism, determined to give this one a fair try--to do my utmost to enjoy it.

I am sorry to say that despite my best and most chivalrous efforts, I knew by the end of the first chapter that I was not going to like th
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Here is where I admit, yet again, that I don't always read the blurbs for books. Or, I just skim them a bit for a general feel and I don't really, really commit it to memory. So, yes, I didn't read the blurb and was so surprised at the course this book took. Ha. I know. I really should read the blurbs. But, sometimes it's fun to be surprised by an author you know and love. This book isn't like the other books that I've read by Michele Holmes but I've loved her books so far and I knew I wanted to ...more
Apr 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya-fiction
The synopsis of the story reads as follows:
Seventeen-year-old Adrielle doesn’t believe in magic; she merely possesses it. When Adrielle starts a fire that burns down the family home, she must deal with both her grief and rejection. Forced out of her village, she journeys to far away Tallinyne in search of her older, estranged sister—the only relative who might take her in. Thrust into a dangerous and unfamiliar world, Adrielle struggles to navigate a world of magic she never imagined where she i
Amanda ♕ Bookrose
First of all, I want to say that I was really surprised by how good this book was. I wasn’t expecting it. I really liked the fairy tale part of the story and it wasn’t just one fairy tale, it was a lot mixed together. For example, it was like sleeping beauty with a bit of Cinderella here and there. It brought back a lot of memories from my childhood which is absolutely what a book is about.

The aspect I liked the most in this book was the magic in it. It opens our imagination to a magical world w
Katie W
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read the premise for this story awhile ago and all I remembered was "magic." I was not expecting a mishmash of fairy tales, lovable characters, a darling romance, and a prince! I was definitely pleasantly surprised.

Adrielle has had a hard upbringing, as the youngest of eleven and when left orphaned and unwanted, she travels to find her older, mysterious sister--one whom she doesn't remember. Many mishaps and adventures lead her to her destination, where she is constantly learning--learning abo
Susan K
Romance, clean, period
I received an advance review copy in exchange for an honest review.
This was an interesting read for me, seeing the feelings and seeing Adrielle trying to figure out the events in her life. She realizes she has some abilities, but muddles through trying to figure out her place and why she doesn't fit in her family. She has to figure out her place in the kingdom, try to figure out what to do with her gifts, and hopefully find her sister. As she is working in the kitchen of th
Kara
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy
As a fan of stories based on fairytales, the synopsis of this one intrigued me. And I really enjoyed it! It feels like a mashup of a bunch of fairytales, yet with lots of original ideas as well. Which sounds a bit crazy probably, but somehow it all worked. I was swept into Adrielle's plight from the very beginning and spent the rest of the story avidly turning pages to find out what would happen next. The fairytale elements are lots of fun, the romance is pretty adorable, and there were several ...more
Tenille Berezay
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a really fun fairy tale mash up. It felt a little long, especially in the middle. I also thought the battle at the very end was too quick and easy. I wanted a little more of a struggle. The love story is really, really well done. Not a love at first sight attraction thing, but it really did seem to be something powerful enough to break a curse. Oh, and I loved Hale! His story is one I'm looking forward to reading in book two!
Kristen Kooistra
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
A fun mish-mash retelling of Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella. (With a hint of Snow White near the end.) This is original enough where you can forget it's based off any fairytale and honestly not know what comes next. At the same time there's enough ties where you won't feel like, "ummm, how is this a retelling?!" I hate when stories are advertised as retellings but have no discernible connection to a fairy tale.

I liked Adrielle's character and enjoyed watching her journey. The main place I felt t
Kerri
I've always enjoyed fractured fairytales, and this story did a great job of telling a new, but somewhat familiar-feeling tale. There are elements and references of other fairytales without feeling like a copycat. I enjoyed it for the most part. It did feel a bit long, and some parts had a tendency to drag. There also could have been a bit more explanation of some things. The curse parameters in particular seemed a bit muddied, and often changed to suit the needs. The pearls usage was also a litt ...more
Alisha
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
The first of this book moved really slow and it was confusing how the author tried to establish the premise and yet intentionally keep reader in the dark in some aspects. The middle I really enjoyed (cause of course, romance :)) Then the end was disappointing. I just really didn't like the direction it went. Overall it was a cute, fairy tale type story, with a charming handsome prince and and evil witch. I don't think I will continue the series though I'm not sure if the second book is out. I fo ...more
Emily
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lovely novel, lovely new fairy tale. Reminiscent of The Goose Girl.
Victoire
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Clean clever Romance. I wasn't wowed but it was still a great book.
Jeri
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fun fairy tale with magic, evil, fairies and true love. I enjoyed the twists in the story and the creative thinking to solve problems. Enjoyable, light reading appropriate for most ages. I look forward to reading more in the series.
Enci
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Actual rating is 3.75/5 stars.

I received an ebook copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was such a big surprise for me, in a very good way. I started reading this book expecting a usual YA book with unnecesarry teen drama, and then I was suddenly transported into this magical world where nobody is what they seem and you can't really trust anyone or anything, and you certainly can't trust in looks or charming manner, because those are usually what gets you into trouble.

The main
A Full Bookshelf
Jan 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF
Carmen8094
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
First light è una bella fiaba, una di quelle storie capaci di immergere il lettore di qualsiasi età in un mondo di fantasia in cui esistono le fate, la magia e il lieto fine.

La protagonista è Adrielle, una ragazza che, di punto in bianco, vede la sua vita cambiare drasticamente, e si trova costretta a dirigersi dalla campagna nella città di Tallinyne, alla ricerca della sorella maggiore, unica tra i suoi familiari, che, forse, vorrà occuparsi di lei.
Durante il viaggio incontra delle strane, bene
Camryn
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
You can also check this review out on my blog: https://thewritingcrafter.wordpress.c...

I was given this book in exchange for an honest review through the website Ebooks For Review. This has not affected my review in anyway, and I was not paid to write my review.

I think I lost count of the sheer number of fairytales and folk stories that were referenced or directly involved in this story. However, they were all well-woven into the plot and none of them screamed at being out of placed or distracte
M R
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Michele Paige Holmes presents a fun mix-and-match of fairytales in her new YA fantasy. It is a great blend of adventure, mystery, and, of course, romance. With a fun mashup of Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, and many other beloved tales, Holmes creates a fresh and exciting new story that immersed me in a world that felt both familiar and unique. Her characters and plots led to many unexpected moments. There were many times I was sure I knew what would happen, only for things t ...more
Magda
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
“… For hundreds and hundreds of years, it’s been said that fairies and other magic folk inhabit these parts. In particular they’re drawn to Canelia and have a history of blessing the Canelian nobility with gifts.”
Two stars, and I’m feeling very generous. Now let me explain. It sounded great: magic- tick, strong female character- tick, mystery- tick, journey- tick and dragons! I’m up for anything with dragons in it. So basically, it should have been a great a fairy tale retelling, but it just di
Tilda
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
-I received this ebook in exchange for an honest review-

First Light is about Adrielle, a farmer girl, who ends up at the castle. On her way she learn about magic and curses.
I really don’t want to write a lot of what it is about, it’s fairly predictable as it is without me accidentally spoiling anything. Anyway, it’s an original story based on a lot of fairy tales, which honestly is all I ever wanted.

I need to say, the first 150 pages or so, I hated the way First Light was written. It felt a b
Anoush Emrazian
When Adrielle's parents die she ends up heading into the capitol to live with her eldest sister as a castle servant. En route she gets waylaid by thieves, then gypsies, and eventually manages to get herself inside the impenetrable castle gates and even insinuates herself as kitchen help but can't seem to find her sister Cecelia or anyone that knows her.

Meanwhile the kingdom is experiencing an incredible drought and famine. The longer Adrielle is in the castle the more she learns about a terrible
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Power of the Matchmaker
  • The Mariposa Hotel (A Tangerine Street Romance, #3)
  • Spring in Hyde Park
  • A Midwinter Ball
  • Love is Come (Power of the Matchmaker)
  • Pimpernel (Pimpernel, #1)
  • A Timeless Romance Anthology: Road Trip Collection
  • A Timeless Romance Anthology: Mail Order Bride Collection
  • Summer House Party
  • A Timeless Romance Anthology: Sarah M. Eden British Isles Collection
  • Under the Mistletoe Collection (A Timeless Romance Anthology Book 14)
  • One Last Spring
  • Solstice
  • Legally Wedded (Legally in Love, #1)
  • Stick in the Mud Meets Spontaneity (Meet Your Match #3)
  • Unraveled: A Tale of True Love
  • The Mannequin (The Mannequin #1)
  • Gladly Beyond (Brothers Maledetti Book 1)
Michele Paige Holmes spent her childhood and youth in Arizona and northern California, often curled up with a good book instead of out enjoying the sunshine. She graduated from Brigham Young University with a degree in Elementary Education and found it an excellent major in which to indulge her love of children's literature.

She is the author of nine published romance novels, which include books in
More about Michele Paige Holmes

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
    $9.99 $2.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)