Start by marking “The Mirror & the Maze (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
The Mirror & the Maze (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1.5)

The Mirror & the Maze

(The Wrath and the Dawn #1.5)

The city of Rey is burning. With smoke billowing, fires blazing and his people fleeing, Khalid races back to defend his city, and protect his queen. But Khalid is too late to do either. He and his men arrive to find the city in ruins, nothing but a maze of destruction, and Shahrzad is gone. But who could have wrought such devastation? Khalid fears he may already know the a ...more
Published April 26th 2016 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Mirror & the Maze, please sign up.
Barbara Walker Hopefully, it would be a good idea and most authors do join the short stories.

⊱ Poppy ⊰
“And I shall take from you these lives, a thousandfold.”

Ohh Khalid Jan nothing is your fault. You're so perfectt, when you're going to accept that. Why do I forget how much I love khalid and every single side and main character of this story. If it would've been in my hands I would've made the author helpless to write a thousand books on khalid. Anything which is about Khalid will always be per-fect!!

The fear he’d felt before was nothing now. Nothing compared to the horror of certainty.

All
Kassidy
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novellas, ebooks
This was a great jump start to get me back into this world going into The Rose and the Dagger!
Maggie
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
❝A maze to mirror his thoughts—lost. Directionless.❞

Oh Khalid. The same boy-king who stole my heart in The Wrath & the Dawn. Of course he's worried about his city, his people, and of course he's worried about Shazi. His love and care for her is so cute it makes me so sad. It's such a cute love story and both of them together makes everything better.

This starts off where The Wrath & the Dawn left and nothing much is told. Jalal lets Khalid know Shazi is safe with Tariq and even when Kha
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
❝Look around you, Khalid Ibn al-Rashid. Look around you with the eyes of a man, not the heart of a boy.❞

Rating: {★ ★ ★★}

Khalid is a great king and an even greater man. No surprise there! This novella doesn't add much to the general storyline of The Wrath and the Dawn but we see more of the storm that builds within Khalid's mind as he finds out that Jalal has sent Shazi away with Tariq.

Khalid doesn't speak much but when he does, he means a lot. But I believe his character speaks more through
Sana
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it
yo Khalid,

YOU CUTIE, LET ME EAT YOU
P
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Khalid's story after what happened in The Wrath and the Dawn.

This novella is my favorite. Khalid rides back to his city to find out it's being ruined. What he feels for Shahrzad is unstoppable, though. Just wow !

Mary S. R.
4 STARS! a shattering short addition :(
“Look around you, Khalid Ibn al-Rashid. Look around you with the eyes of a man, not the heart of a boy.”
*weeps, dries tears; breaks, puts her pieces back together; falls, but does not get up*

Storyline

I kept wondering what happened when Khalid returned to Rey and found Shahrzad gone, and in this very short novella we get to read Khalid's POV and decision; I'm grateful for this.

I totally understand why it couldn't be put in The Wrath & the Dawn, I jus
Rachel Maniacup
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rachel by: Emer
This short story is a preparation for The Rose & the Dagger. It showed a glimpse of what happened in the first book, (The Wrath & the Dawn) after the destruction of Rey City.

My heart still breaks for Khalid here,my poor,handsome king! And in this book, my admiration for Jalal and Despina leveled up!

I'm loving this series and Renee Ahdieh even more!^^
Fafa's Book Corner
Apr 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner !

Beware spoilers ahead!

Initially I had no intention of reading The Mirror and the Maze. But once I saw that it was available on the publishers website I decided 'Why not'. I am surprised to say that I actually liked it!

The story begins right after The Wrath and the Dawn with Khalid returning home. Much to Khalid and his men's surprise they see smoke coming from their home. They get their horses to move faster and eventually make it. Khalid is in shock at the
Emer
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
"And I shall take from you these lives, a thousandfold."

Consider my interest peaked for the next book!!! Which is surprising because I really wasn't a fan of The Wrath and The Dawn.... But as I said then, this series might be worth sticking with for the writing alone.

Two stars

This can be read here.
Giulia
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories

I am so not ready for The Rose and The Dagger. This novella reminded me that, a) Renee Ahdieh is capable of breaking my heart within the space of 7 pages and that, b) I am still very much in love with Khalid Ibn al-Rashid.
✘Tabby✘
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book, kindle
Khalid my poor baby!

Anniebananie
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh die Geschichte war genau das was ich zum Überbrücken bis zum nächsten Band brauchte! Sie spielt nach dem ersten Band bzw. zum Ende des ersten Bandes und dann war ja auch noch das erste Kapitel des zweiten Bandes als Leseprobe mit dabei, ich bin gespannt wie ein Flitzebogen wie es weitergeht mit Sharzad, Chalid und allen anderen! :)
Aya Hamza
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
“And I shall take fro you these lives, a thousandfold”.
The fear he'd before was nothing now. Nothing compared to the horror of certainty.
All the death. All the destruction.
My fault.

And Shazi left with Tariq because of the destruction, too!
Let's hope Khalid and Shazi will be together again.
Stacee
I don't know how I missed this last year. It was a good little snippet into Khalid's head, but I could have done with a million more pages.
⚡ molly ⚡
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: etc-books
this has gotten me hyped for the sequel!
Sarah DiMento
This was my least favorite of the short stories. It just seemed totally pointless. But I still love Khalid and the story did remind me of where we left off in the first book. Thank God the second book is finally here and in my hands!!
Stephanie
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Okay. I absolutely love hearing more of the story and feelings from Khalid. I want him to find happiness. These two short stories might actually push me right into book two.... ♡
Cait • A Page with a View
Apr 24, 2016
Chesca
The Mirror & the Maze takes place right after the The Wrath & the Dawn. Khalid was on his way back to his kingdom ruined by the storm. That was it, my dear friends.

When I started reading the first paragraph of this novella, my brain was already running through situations on what Khalid would do when he arrived in Rey. My guesses were all correct.

If you’ve read the first book, you would surely have an idea on how Khalid might have reacted to his situation, how he might have felt, and wh
Kate (GirlReading)
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked that this picked up almost exactly where The Wrath and the Dawn finished. It was really interesting to see the initial aftermath and consequences through Khalid's point of view. I do wish it could have been longer but it's definitely made me even more excited to finally read The Rose and the Dagger!!
Marla Mei
The writing is just so beautiful. I wanna cry. It makes me wanna reread The Wrath and the Dawn and the novellas other than this before reading The Rose and the Dagger. You know what? I might just do that.
Cláudia
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, my heart.
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
Meh! What you get is... "And I shall take from you these lives, a thousandfold.".... over and over.

description

This was pointless.

*Read this for our May Short Story Month Marathon, a personal challenge during which Sandra and I will be going through our short story collection.
Nicay │The Nerdy side of a Queen
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Full review to come.
Nat
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
“And I shall take from you these lives, a thousandfold.”

I almost forgot how much I loved Khalid because it’s been too long, but this story brought it all back. And now I can’t stop thinking about him. I even reread this tale because I was freaking out so much the first time.

The Mirror and the Maze follows Khalid’s return to the city of Rey. With smoke billowing, fires blazing and his people fleeing, Khalid races back to defend his city, and protect his queen. But Khalid is too late to do either.
Anna
Apr 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
This is how I feel reading these short stories (and this one in particular):
Book: Here we have some Khalid for you. Come. *shows Khalid*
Me: *tries to reach Khalid and almost succeeds*
Book: Time's up. *gets Khalid back*

WHY MUST YOU TORMENT ME SO.

These short stories are way too fucking short.
Reem Ghabbany
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I don't think one can write a chapter for a one chapter novella
AHeartFullOfBooks❣️
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My beautiful Khalid❤ I love reading from his POV and getting a glimpse into his mind. He’s so cute when he’s worried about Shazi. ...more
Giulia
Well, this 9 pages were.... interesting?

I'm not sure what to make of this, I WANT TO READ THE SEQUEL.
It peaked my interest, but it wasn't that great. Other than this, I can say my heart is with Khalid, now and forever.

Now, let's get into the next one.

• The Garden of Three Hundred Flowers (A Thousand Nights #1.5)
  • The Jinni (The Forbidden Wish, #0.5)
  • Poison Dance (Midnight Thief, #0.5)
  • Bridge of Snow (The Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • The Glowing Knight (The Orphan Queen, #0.2)
  • The First Star to Fall (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1.5)
  • The King's Guard (Fire and Thorns, #0.7)
  • Voice of Gods (Blood of Gods and Royals, #0.5)
  • The Witch's Betrayal (The Assassin's Curse #0.5)
  • On the Merits of Unnaturalness
  • Morrighan (The Remnant Chronicles, #0.5)
  • The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • The Shadow Prison (The Ninth Chosen #1)
  • This Night So Dark (Starbound, #1.5)
  • Love is Poison (Snow White, #1-3)
  • The Night After I Lost You (The Lynburn Legacy, #1.5)
  • Icicles Like Kindling (Snow Like Ashes, #0.1)
  • Undone (Unraveling, #1.5)
THE WRATH & THE DAWN and its sequel THE ROSE & THE DAGGER are available wherever books are sold.

FLAME IN THE MIST will be released on 5.16.17.

** Please note that requests for Advanced Reader Copies should be made through Penguin, and all other requests should be submitted through the author's website. **

The Wrath and the Dawn (2 books)
  • The Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1)
  • The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath and the Dawn, #2)
“You sent Shahrzad away with a boy I would not trust with a dying snake.” 2 likes
“And I shall take from you these lives, a thousandfold.” 0 likes