Start by marking “The Mirror & the Maze (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
The Mirror & the Maze (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1.5)

The Mirror & the Maze

(The Wrath and the Dawn #1.5)

The city of Rey is burning. With smoke billowing, fires blazing and his people fleeing, Khalid races back to defend his city, and protect his queen. But Khalid is too late to do either. He and his men arrive to find the city in ruins, nothing but a maze of destruction, and Shahrzad is gone. But who could have wrought such devastation? Khalid fears he may already know the a ...more
Published April 26th 2016 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Mirror & the Maze, please sign up.
Simona yes, this book is only an ebook. i'm sure that you can find it as a kindle or audiobook on amazon, however.…moreyes, this book is only an ebook. i'm sure that you can find it as a kindle or audiobook on amazon, however.(less)

Start your review of The Mirror & the Maze (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1.5)
⊱ Poppy ⊰
“And I shall take from you these lives, a thousandfold.”

Ohh Khalid Jan nothing is your fault. You're so perfectt, when you're going to accept that. Why do I forget how much I love khalid and every single side and main character of this story. If it would've been in my hands I would've made the author helpless to write a thousand books on khalid. Anything which is about Khalid will always be per-fect!!

The fear he’d felt before was nothing now. Nothing compared to the horror of cer
Kassidy
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a great jump start to get me back into this world going into The Rose and the Dagger!
Mikee (ReadWithMikee)
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
❝Look around you, Khalid Ibn al-Rashid. Look around you with the eyes of a man, not the heart of a boy.❞

Rating: {★ ★ ★★}

Khalid is a great king and an even greater man. No surprise there! This novella doesn't add much to the general storyline of The Wrath and the Dawn but we see more of the storm that builds within Khalid's mind as he finds out that Jalal has sent Shazi away with Tariq.

Khalid doesn't speak much but when he does, he means a lot. But I believe his character speaks more
sunny
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it
yo Khalid,

YOU CUTIE, LET ME EAT YOU
P
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Khalid's story after what happened in The Wrath and the Dawn.

This novella is my favorite. Khalid rides back to his city to find out it's being ruined. What he feels for Shahrzad is unstoppable, though. Just wow !

Maryam Rz.
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, young-adult
4 STARS! a shattering short addition :(
“Look around you, Khalid Ibn al-Rashid. Look around you with the eyes of a man, not the heart of a boy.”
*weeps, dries tears; breaks, puts her pieces back together; falls, but does not get up*

Storyline

I kept wondering what happened when Khalid returned to Rey and found Shahrzad gone, and in this very short novella we get to read Khalid's POV and decision; I'm grateful for this.

I totally understand why it couldn't be put in The Wrath & the Dawn, I jus
Rachel Maniacup
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rachel by: Éimhear (A Little Haze)
This short story is a preparation for The Rose & the Dagger. It showed a glimpse of what happened in the first book, (The Wrath & the Dawn) after the destruction of Rey City.

My heart still breaks for Khalid here,my poor,handsome king! And in this book, my admiration for Jalal and Despina leveled up!

I'm loving this series and Renee Ahdieh even more!^^
Fafa's Book Corner
Apr 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner !

Beware spoilers ahead!

Initially I had no intention of reading The Mirror and the Maze. But once I saw that it was available on the publishers website I decided 'Why not'. I am surprised to say that I actually liked it!

The story begins right after The Wrath and the Dawn with Khalid returning home. Much to Khalid and his men's surprise they see smoke coming from their home. They get their horses to move faster and eventually make it. Khalid is in shock at the
Lia
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories

I am so not ready for The Rose and The Dagger. This novella reminded me that, a) Renee Ahdieh is capable of breaking my heart within the space of 7 pages and that, b) I am still very much in love with Khalid Ibn al-Rashid.
TJ
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Khalid my poor baby!

Éimhear (A Little Haze)
"And I shall take from you these lives, a thousandfold."

Consider my interest peaked for the next book!!! Which is surprising because I really wasn't a fan of The Wrath and The Dawn.... But as I said then, this series might be worth sticking with for the writing alone.

Two stars

This can be read here.
✨ A ✨
“And I shall take from you these lives, a thousandfold.”

Ahh... I love Khalid POV's.

He is on his way back to his burning city and I could feel his despair and worry for his people and his family and most of all Shahrzad.

At first Khalid believes it's his enemies striking his city. But when Jalal tells him about the story he then thinks it's the curse that set his city ablaze. That it's in fact his own fault.

And as much as Khalid is desperate to reunite with Shahrzad, he knows that he can't a
Aya
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
“And I shall take fro you these lives, a thousandfold”.
The fear he'd before was nothing now. Nothing compared to the horror of certainty.
All the death. All the destruction.
My fault.

And Shazi left with Tariq because of the destruction, too!
Let's hope Khalid and Shazi will be together again.
Stacee
I don't know how I missed this last year. It was a good little snippet into Khalid's head, but I could have done with a million more pages. ...more
Sarah DiMento
This was my least favorite of the short stories. It just seemed totally pointless. But I still love Khalid and the story did remind me of where we left off in the first book. Thank God the second book is finally here and in my hands!!
 mols
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: etc-books
this has gotten me hyped for the sequel!
• Lindsey Dahling •
I needed more of this. More Khalid. Always more Khalid. LITERALLY ALWAYS.
Stephanie
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Okay. I absolutely love hearing more of the story and feelings from Khalid. I want him to find happiness. These two short stories might actually push me right into book two.... ♡
Chesca (thecrownedpages)
The Mirror & the Maze takes place right after the The Wrath & the Dawn. Khalid was on his way back to his kingdom ruined by the storm. That was it, my dear friends.

When I started reading the first paragraph of this novella, my brain was already running through situations on what Khalid would do when he arrived in Rey. My guesses were all correct.

If you’ve read the first book, you would surely have an idea on how Khalid might have reacted to his situation, how he might have felt, and whatever
Kate (GirlReading)
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I liked that this picked up almost exactly where The Wrath and the Dawn finished. It was really interesting to see the initial aftermath and consequences through Khalid's point of view. I do wish it could have been longer but it's definitely made me even more excited to finally read The Rose and the Dagger!! ...more
enqi ☁️✨ (hiatus due to college)
I've always wanted to know what happened in the time between The Wrath and the Dawn and The Rose and the Dagger and here it is!

As Khalid had just learned from his inquiries along the border between Khorasan and Parthia, this was the boy responsible for the budding unrest. Responsible for organizing a force against Khalid. He would be damned a thousand times before he’d allow Shahrzad to fall into this traitorous boy’s care.

Honestly I'm just grateful for the additional Khalid/Shazi conten
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
Meh! What you get is... "And I shall take from you these lives, a thousandfold.".... over and over.

description

This was pointless.

*Read this for our May Short Story Month Marathon, a personal challenge during which Sandra and I will be going through our short story collection.
Marla Mei
The writing is just so beautiful. I wanna cry. It makes me wanna reread The Wrath and the Dawn and the novellas other than this before reading The Rose and the Dagger. You know what? I might just do that.
Nat
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
“And I shall take from you these lives, a thousandfold.”

I almost forgot how much I loved Khalid because it’s been too long, but this story brought it all back. And now I can’t stop thinking about him. I even reread this tale because I was freaking out so much the first time.

The Mirror and the Maze follows Khalid’s return to the city of Rey. With smoke billowing, fires blazing and his people fleeing, Khalid races back to defend his city, and protect his queen. But Khalid is too late to do either.
Sara
Dec 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
I think i have forgotten too much of this series to get much out of the accompanying novellas.
Anna
Apr 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
This is how I feel reading these short stories (and this one in particular):
Book: Here we have some Khalid for you. Come. *shows Khalid*
Me: *tries to reach Khalid and almost succeeds*
Book: Time's up. *gets Khalid back*

WHY MUST YOU TORMENT ME SO.

These short stories are way too fucking short.
Darcey
noooooo baby Khalid don't think that! this isn't your fault! it's dumbass Shazi's father and the dumbass rebellions fault!!
:((

thanks to amazon kindle and the author for the free book :))
Reem Ghabbany
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I don't think one can write a chapter for a one chapter novella ...more
AHeartFullOfBooks❣️
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My beautiful Khalid❤️ I love reading from his POV and getting a glimpse into his mind. He’s so cute when he’s worried about Shazi.
Giulia
Well, this 9 pages were.... interesting?

I'm not sure what to make of this, I WANT TO READ THE SEQUEL.
It peaked my interest, but it wasn't that great. Other than this, I can say my heart is with Khalid, now and forever.

Now, let's get into the next one.

• A RomaJuliette Christmas Special (These Violent Delights, #0.5)
  • The Tailor (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1.5)
  • The Demon in the Wood (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #0.1)
  • We Free the Stars (Sands of Arawiya, #2)
  • Riden's Chapter (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1.5)
  • How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories (The Folk of the Air, #3.5)
  • The Lost Sisters (The Folk of the Air, #1.5)
  • Reveal Me (Shatter Me, #5.5)
  • The Traitor Queen (The Bridge Kingdom, #2)
  • Life After Legend II (Legend, #3.75)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Fracture Me (Shatter Me, #2.5)
  • The Spanish Love Deception
  • Shadow Me (Shatter Me, #4.5)
  • The Shadows Between Us (The Shadows Between Us, #1)
  • COVID-128 (The Lunar Chronicles #4.6)
  • Destroy Me (Shatter Me, #1.5)
  • Daughter of the Siren Queen (Daughter of the Pirate King, #2)
See top shelves…
THE WRATH & THE DAWN and its sequel THE ROSE & THE DAGGER are available wherever books are sold.

FLAME IN THE MIST will be released on 5.16.17.

** Please note that requests for Advanced Reader Copies should be made through Penguin, and all other requests should be submitted through the author's website. **

The Wrath and the Dawn (2 books)
  • The Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1)
  • The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath and the Dawn, #2)