Start by marking “The Dragon Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Dragon Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #3)

The Dragon Heir

(The Heir Chronicles #3)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  34,917 ratings  ·  1,225 reviews
The covenant that was meant to keep the wizard wars at bay has been stolen, and the sanctuary of Trinity must prepare for attack. Seph monitors the Weirwalls, while Jack and Ellen train their army of ghosts to face an onslaught of wizards. Even Anaweir Will and Fitch are setting traps around the town's perimeter. To Jason Haley, it feels as though everyone but him has a ro ...more
Published August 12th 2008 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon Heir, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Zoren Baker
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Cheryl You can indeed do that. I borrowed an audio copy from my local library.

·  34,917 ratings  ·  1,225 reviews

Start your review of The Dragon Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #3)
Anne

This was better than I remembered, but maybe not so good that I'd shove this series in anyone's face & beg them to read it.
Still.
DRAGONS!

description

I guess more specifically, dragon. Because there's only one heir to the Dragon...thingy. Guild? I don't know. Whatever. It's not important. Just know that, unlike all the rest of the magical people, nobody even knew this type of person could exist.
SURPRISE!

description

This one has all of the characters from the previous two books in it, but the main focus is on
Teri
Apr 04, 2009 rated it liked it
I just can't rate this book as highly as the first 2 which is a bummer as it's the conclusion. The two main characters were soooooo whiny I felt like I was reading Harry Potter #5. Then it seemed like the author had to go somewhere so she just tied up the end real quick. . . "and he died and she lived and the other two lived happily ever after, the end"
Wealhtheow
Aug 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, fantasy
Magic is real, and the people who use it are dicks.

Wizards have been engaged in a bloody battle for supremacy for generations, and they don't care who they destroy in the process. In The Warrior Heir, young Jack finds out that he has magic and that the wizards plan to use him as a pawn in their latest scheme. With help from the few wizard rebels, he manages to badly damage the wizards' power over the other magic guilds. In the second book, The Wizard Heir, the growing band of rebels continue th
Molly Mortensen
For a finale, this book was rather underwhelming. It was okay and I still plan to continue the series, but I expected more.

Who died? (view spoiler)

It surprised me that Jason and Madison were the stars of Dragon. I expected it to be Seph and Jack. I wish it was Seph and Jack. Though I should've liked them, Madison and Jason just annoyed me. Madison's story
Afton Nelson
Nov 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
A great finish to the "Heir" Trilogy. I had a few issues with some of the characters in the story.

SPOILERS***

Linda and Leander's brief stint in this book was annoying. Why couldn't they come back and help in the battle? Bring a few weapons from the castle's stash? Could they buy a cell phone and call to check in? The Trinity Weir people were in desperate need all the while Linda and Leander hang out in a castle and have basically no part in this book.

I was confused about the dragon/lady. Was s
Andy
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read, own
4.5/5

This was seriously awesome! The Dragon Heir picks up right after the events in The Wizard Heir. This installment focuses more on Madison Moss and Jason Haley. When Jason steals the Dragon Heart from Ravensguild, the Wizards are in an uproar and desperate to get it back. Trinity is preparing for war, Leander Hastings & Linda Downey leave to go after the weapons horde at Ravensguild, leaving Seph McCauley in charge with only a handful of other wizards.

I absolutely love the world Chima has c
Krista (Miura Haruma-san, I will always miss you)
DJ
May 29, 2010 rated it did not like it
Noelia Alonso
Aug 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
This was a pretty underwhelming conclusion to the initial trilogy. More than predictable and quite unsatisfactory. My edition was 499 pages long and everything is "resolved" in the last 30 pages or so and it's not even a good conclusion. Besides the overall plot, I wouldn't say this is a sequel to the first two books. Some characters don't feel like the characters from the previous two books. I was not happy with this and I'm sure as hell won't be picking the next two books that came out after t ...more
Michelle
Mar 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya, 2009
The final book in the excellent ‘Heir’ trilogy wraps up the conflict centered on the talented youths Jack, Ellen, Jason, Seph, and Madison. The war between the different factions of wizards has come to a head and the discovery of a powerful weapon, the Dragonheart, has each side fighting for its control. I think this volume even edged out ‘Warrior Heir’ for my favorite of the three – this one was so much more developed and the characters matured in many ways.

One thing that really bugged me was
Aaron Exists
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was good. Ok, maybe great. Some stuff didn’t make full sense, and crazy stuff happened, but that’s acceptable.
Erik McManus
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think that this was a good conclusion to the series. It brought just as much magic and high intensity as the other two and gave you a lot more of each of the characters. I also enjoy the fact that it keeps it realistic with the people and all the things they are going through amidst battles between mages (that being personal and relationship struggles).

It could get dark at times but not too dark that it is bordering on a thriller or horror. Just dark in the sense that the plot is becoming a li
Areej Farooq
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Arminzerella
Robin (Bridge Four)
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-5-stars, sexy
3.5 Stars rounded up

The Dragon Heir is much a story about Madison and Jason who played roles in the Wizard Heir. This is the third book in a series that will be five books long. I have read both of Cinda Williams Chima’s series and while I prefer The Seven Realms Series this one is also a solid fantasy series. The characters are full of flaws, making good decisions and bad. Sometimes I think the pacing of the story tends to drag a bit throughout and then all the action ends up being at the end.
LastMonk
Jan 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Good grief, stop asking me! I recommend it to anyone who wants to finish the stinkin' series!
Recommended to LastMonk by: *sigh* Nobody, it's the third book!
Shelves: new-favorites
Alright. Here we are. I assume that if you've gotten this far, you've read and enjoyed the previous two. Good for you. We finally have something in common. I feel like I know you already, nameless reader.

The Dragon Heir is the third and final installment of the Heir Trilogy. (For those among you who do not understand the meaning of the word "trilogy" means.) I really have mixed feelings about this one--hence the four-star rating.

The book starts strong, and moves along nicely, weaving together se
Jill
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it
*3.25

Alright heres the thing....The first half of this story was not the best...it was very slow and the main POVs were very annoying and whiny. At the end of Wizard Heir, my favorite character in this whole series was Jason. In this book he turns into this whiny, attention seeking ass. He did improve but it took him a majority of the book and he still never compared to the Jason in the previous book. Also, Madison was just generally annoying idk why honestly. SEPH was the shining light in this
Denae Christine
Jul 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Andrew Mowere
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This one was not my favorite. the escalation was a bit much.
Francesca
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall great writing. The story was entertaining but throughout I never really connected with the protagonists and the characters was curious about were overlooked and/or (view spoiler)
I see there are two more books in the series but right now - still on the read what you have drive - I won't be continuing with this.
Lea
Jun 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Idk I’m kind of attached to the characters at this point. All of the three books I‘ve read so far could‘ve been way shorter but I think I like them enough to continue the series.
Nov 12, 2008 rated it it was ok
Kelly
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
I was very disappointed in this book and the author. Ms. Chima made it feel like she had a very tight deadline that she needed to make and so she didn't spend the time or the effort on this book that she spent on the previous two. I had high hopes for her trilogy but this last book ruined it.

SPOILERS AHEAD....

Firstly, the two main characters were not very lovable this time around. Madison's entire storyline seemed fairly pointless. All of the drama and the tension was set up because Madison was
Celines
Jan 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: free-time
Independent reading project

The Dragon Heir

In The Warrior Heir trilogy written by Cinda Williams China the lives of Jack Swift, Seph McCauley, Madison Moss and Jason Haley are connected through life events that were struck in motion the day Jack realized he was a warrior. The 5 magical guilds were sorcerers, seers, warriors, enchanters and wizards. They were all gifted people who were born with Weirstones, a crystalline source of power that sits behind the heart.

In the beginning of the trilogy J
Sep 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Oh, I wish they had a 2 1/2 stars rating...I'm still sort of smarting from the drop-on-my-rump letdown I got from this final installment in what is otherwise an excellent teen fantasy series. It all started out intriguing, with Chima picking up a supporting character from the previous book and fleshing out his role a bit more. (He happened to be one of my favorite characters, so I was happy about that!) The plot thickens, characters from all the books enter onto the playing field and more histor ...more
Tiffany
Apr 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, modern-fantasy
I don't really lnow what I was hoping for in the last installment of this trilogy, but what I got was the same, same, same (not a bad thing). A teensy prologue that I to skim through (I'm not a big fan of prologues) followed by a couple hundred pages of people waiting around for something to happen, which builds into a giant, amazing, epic scene that leaves me breathless and makes me forget about the not-so-exciting start of the book. Unless you really have a pet peeve for slow beginnings, this ...more
Nathan
Dec 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
A bit of a letdown to an otherwise decent series. By this point nearly all the characters seem to be roughly the same. You could describe them all as moody, rebellious, sarcastic, and a bit of an outcast. None of them are very likable this way either, and you don't really get pulled in rooting for them.

The grand war that occurs is somewhat silly too, you have a couple hundred wizards fighting half a dozen people and the author attempts to describe it in ways that sound like a massive fight with
Abigail
Mar 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
So now its come to the last book.... Jeez this series went by way too fast! But now I'm happy to finally be writing this review to close the door to this wonderful trilogy. To say the least I was not disappointed by this last book.
I liked the narrative of Madison I felt like she was a respectable person who puts everyone before herself. She was so strong and I loved her attitude and her Southern roots.
It took me awhile to really grow fond of Jason. At first I felt like he didn't have the right i
Alex Marriner
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy this book even though i am only part of the way into the book. I really liked how the book started and it gave the reader good background information before starting into content of the book. I feel that by doing this a reader who hasn't read the first two would be able to pick this up and read it without a problem. Now I don't know who your favorite character is but mine is definitely Jason. From what i have read it seems like he will be one of the most influential characters in ...more
Branwen Sedai *of the Brown Ajah*
"It's not enough to do something. It's important to do the right thing."

"Falling in love was like falling off a cliff. It felt pretty much like flying until you hit the ground."

In this next installment of the Weir series, the conflicts between the wizards and the other guilds have come to a head as the infamous dragon stone is borrowed (ahem, stolen) from the Ghyll and the power structure of the guilds begins to come apart. Surrounded and without many options, the young wizards and warriors read
Madison Mega-Mara...: #34 The Dragon Heir 1 5 Apr 30, 2019 10:05AM
official book review is really bad 4 35 Nov 23, 2014 11:42PM
Language Arts 7 R...: reading log 2 5 Oct 14, 2012 02:45AM
The Heir Series 2 31 May 26, 2011 06:55PM
So I went to get this book 3 57 Aug 14, 2008 03:23PM

• The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, #2)
  • Invincible (Chronicles of Nick, #2)
  • Raven Rise (Pendragon, #9)
  • Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)
  • The Magician (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #2)
  • The Last Kids on Earth and the Skeleton Road (Last Kids on Earth, #6)
  • Icefire (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • Dragon Rider (Dragon Rider, #1)
  • The Battle for Skandia (Ranger's Apprentice, #4)
  • Flyte (Septimus Heap, #2)
  • Scrooged
  • Legends of the Dragonrealm: Dragon Masters
  • Legends of the Dragonrealm: The Gryphon Mage
  • The Immortal Heights (The Elemental Trilogy, #3)
  • Queste (Septimus Heap, #4)
  • The Pool of Two Moons (The Witches of Eileanan, #2)
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
New York Times bestselling author Cinda Williams Chima comes from a long line of fortune-tellers, musicians and spinners of tales. She began writing romance novels in middle school, which were often confiscated by her teachers.

Her Heir Chronicles series (magic comes to contemporary Ohio) comprises The Warrior Heir The Wizard Heir . The Dragon Heir The Enchanter Heir, and the Sorcerer Heir.

Chima's

The Heir Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Warrior Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #1)
  • The Wizard Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #2)
  • The Enchanter Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #4)
  • The Sorcerer Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #5)