Start by marking “A New Introduction to Bibliography” as Want to Read:
A New Introduction to Bibliography

A New Introduction to Bibliography

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  167 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
In recent years there has been increasing interest in the textual problems of the eighteenth, nineteenth, and twentieth centuries. "The only really acceptable modern textbook on physical bibliography". -- The Library
Published February 1st 2007 by Oak Knoll Press (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about A New Introduction to Bibliography, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A New Introduction to Bibliography

Alex Lawless
I read particular chunks of this, and skimmed most of it. It's not really designed to be read cover to cover (unless you are very interested in rare books bibliography), but more a guide to further existing bibliographic knowledge. I personally find that Gaskell is much easier to comprehend than Bowers, and is much easier to use as a guide and manual, rather than establishing every possible occurrence that could happen when writing a bibliographic record (ahem... Bowers...).
Dan Axmacher
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
fascinating if you're into it
Kristen
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: education
It's a textbook.
Jesse
May 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
There is an intellectual legacy in bibliographical studies. Amongst such traditional bibliographical pioneers as Pollard, McKerrow, Greg, Bowers, and Tanselle, Phillip Gaskell must surely be included in the list. His "New Introduction" is still the most comprehensible work in the genre, and it has remained to be the standard virtually since its first impression and distribution. The book guides the reader through bibliographical terminology by providing sufficiently detailed descriptions of the ...more
Mel
This book is the standard book for learning about antique books. (So I have been led to believe by UCL and the people at my work). It gives in Great detail every aspect of book production from the hand-press period, (making paper, ink, layout, type, binding etc.) as well as for 19th century book production. It answers a lot of questions and is a great referrence. It is however a little dull to read all the way through. And suffers from the problem of trying to explain in words complicated physic ...more
Michele
Mar 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
I learned a lot in this book, although it is only useful information about the history of book publishing and the used book trade. Still, absolutely fascinating to someone like me. It truly is something of a trade "bible." Anything you want to know about the field of bibliography--it's in there.
Audrey
This book was my constant companion during my rare book cataloging internship. I used it any time I was having trouble determining a book's format or formulating collation. It's an exercise to read through, but densely packed with great information on books of both the hand-press and machine-press eras. It's a classic.
Alexis Ferguson
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
An excellent source on the history of paper and book production during the hand-press and machine-press period. The guide to bibliography is well organized and information. A very dense read, however.
Shonda Wilson
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very technical
Lynne
Hugely important, easily parsed overview of the history of the physical production of the book in both the hand-press and machine press eras.
Chris
Aug 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: librarian-books
Full of information, but a tough read. I give it 4 stars for the info and 2.5 for readability. I didn't read the whole thing though, only the parts assigned for class.
Jacob
Jan 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
The classic work on the subject.
Abby Farr
Mar 12, 2013 rated it liked it
It was very informative and useful for research purposes but it was very dry and often boring.
Roger
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
An extremely good introduction, though a lot of it is very difficult to visualize. If it were better illustrated, it would be a 5-star book, though it would probably end up being 1,000 pages.
Jason
  • Libraries in the Ancient World
  • A Short History of the Printed Word
  • Introduction to Manuscript Studies
  • A History of Illuminated Manuscripts
  • Patience and Fortitude: Wherein a Colorful Cast of Determined Book Collectors, Dealers, and Librarians Go About the Quixotic Task of Preserving a Legacy
  • The Printing Revolution in Early Modern Europe
  • Double Fold: Libraries and the Assault on Paper
  • Intellectual Foundation of Information Organization
  • The Book History Reader
  • The Nature of the Book: Print and Knowledge in the Making
  • Reference and Information Services: An Introduction (Library and Information Science Text Series)
  • The Book in the Renaissance
  • Marginalia: Readers Writing in Books
  • What They Don't Teach You in Library School
  • Fundamentals of Collection Development and Management
  • The Literary Underground of the Old Regime
  • The Organization of Information (Library and Information Science Text Series)

Nonfiction Deals

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99