Start by marking “The Sorcerer of the North (Ranger's Apprentice, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Sorcerer of the North (Ranger's Apprentice, #5)

The Sorcerer of the North

(Ranger's Apprentice #5)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  53,184 ratings  ·  1,548 reviews
The international bestselling series with over 5 million copies sold in the U.S. alone!

Time has passed since the apprentice and his master, Will and Halt, led the Araluens to victory against invaders, and Will is now a full-fledged Ranger with his own fief to look after. The fief seems sleepy–boring, even–until the king is poisoned. Joined by his friend Alyss, Will is thr
Published November 4th 2008 by Philomel Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Sorcerer of the North, please sign up.
Asteropê Someone numbered the wrong. They were going by chronological story-line, not the official publication order. I have edited and changed them to the…moreSomeone numbered the wrong. They were going by chronological story-line, not the official publication order. I have edited and changed them to the official, publication listing, which puts them as such:

5. The Sorcerer in the North (2006)
6. The Siege of Macindaw (2009)
7. Erak's Ransom (2006)

Series can have listing that differ, to account for chronological story-lines, but as far as I know, the main, official series list should follow the official, publication order.(less)
Elaine Isn't this after his apprenticeship, which would make him 21?

·  53,184 ratings  ·  1,548 reviews

Ahmad Sharabiani
The Sorcerer in the North (Ranger's Apprentice, #5), John Flanagan
The Sorcerer in the North (The Sorcerer of the North in the US) is the fifth book in the Ranger's Apprentice series by Australian author John Flanagan. It was released in Australia on 4 November 2006 and in the United States on 4 November 2008.
The book starts off with Will finding a dog wounded on the side of the road, injured by a spear. Then Will goes on to the castle he is assigned to and has a meeting with the Baron; the rule
rachel
Contains mild spoilers for this book and the prequels.

The Sorcerer in the North was, unfortunately, my least favourite of the series and probably the weakest sequel too. I was a little irritated by the beginning as it was set an entire five years after the events of The Battle for Skandia. but once I got used to an older will and the surrpisngly obvious lack of both Halt and Horace, it wasn't so bad... until we got pulled away from the new situation - again - and thrust into this new world of cl
Brianne
Feb 15, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, fiction, new-world
Kathleen
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good. One of the best in the series. Audio is superbly narrated by William Zappa, but I didn't care for the musical intrusions after each chapter.

However, the story is good. Moving at a fast pace, it feels like an adventurous alternative history set in a re-named England (Araluen), in the days of kings, knights, castles, and fiefdoms. No elves. No dragons.

Recurring key characters from prior series include Will the ranger and Alyss the courier diplomat (both are now adults, not apprentices
Samantha
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series just keeps getting better and better. I was a little nervous when there was a several years jump in-between this book and the last, and there were a few things that were glossed over in this jump (romance) that I wish I had gotten to explore with the characters, but I still enjoyed this book very much.

Will is finally a full Ranger, and is out on his own. While most of his growth happened in books 1-4, it is easy to see how much more he has improved in the skip of a few years, and his
Braden Bell
Jul 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of this series, but I felt that Flanagan started doing some great things in this book. It's Will's first adventure alone, and I was happy to see an increased role for Alyss. Flanagan has found a way, in my opinion, to credibly give his female characters important things to do in the context of a medieval world.

This book had some themes I think are especially important for adolescents to read--being popular vs. being good, the idea of appearances and making judgments on those appearanc
Tricia Mingerink
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like this book, but not as much as some of the others ones. Maybe because Halt isn't in it as much? All he does is bum around with Crowley (as far as the reader can tell). Which probably got terribly annoying to Crowley.

But it is neat to see Will learn to do things on his own.
Tamora Pierce
Nov 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the series
Recommended to Tamora by: I like the series
warning: cliff-hanger ending!
Ashrakat Deyab
Once you're really into this book, you can't stop reading. The only problem was that, for me at least, the first half didn't really grab my interest. It was quite boring, what with all the details and half of the book talking solely about Will's to-be mission. I wanted to get to the mission and once I did, I couldn't put the book down.

What I liked most about the novel was the element of mystery. In most of Flanagan's other books, the antagonist and protagonist are both clear as daylight, but in
Rebecca (whenallotherlightsgoout)
WHAT? These books have had cliff hangers before, but this is the worst one yet!!

I read Erak's Ransom before I read this one, and I'm glad I did. Reading the stories chronologically gives them a better flow.

This book was really good, but I liked some of the other stories better. The pacing of this book is on the slow side, and the mystery is not quite as interesting. I missed the supporting characters too. I'm hoping we will see more of them in the next book. One thing I found really unb
C.B. Cook
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a note: I'm updating my progress in this series, but since I'm behind and it's been a while since I've read these, I'm not going to do a review of each book. After I finish 7/8 I might do a review of those. :)
Dan
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, 2016, fantasy
Very enjoyable.
Elizabeth Dragina
My heart!! 💔

Where's the next stink'n book?!

*sobs* *wails* HORACE WHERE WERE YOU???!

Content ~ A lot of cuss words - just like in every John Flanagan book - and some rather unruly scenes.

I never can bring myself to give a GOOD review to John Flanagan, I'm just always so speechless. So this is the best I got. 😭
Michael Bates
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-a-copy
Plot-4 Stars
Characters-4.5 Stars
Setting-3 Stars

This book does nothing new but what it does do, it does well. The characters are the best part of the book. The plot can sometimes drag on into another book but it's still a good plot. The last couple of books in this series have been funnier. The settings still though disappoint me as well as the creatures. I was hoping for something new. Instead like the Races and cultures, it's all borrowed from Earth.
Would I read the next in the series? Yes. En
Garrett Longman
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Rangers Apprentice series by John Flanagan is truly one of the best series I've read so far in the world of reading. This is one of those books where you are just so compelled to keep on reading. I'm not a huge bookworm most of the time, but these books are incredible!

The series takes place in a vast land of kingdoms, battles, and sorcery. Will is centered in Sea Cliff fief temporarily until he is sent to the Northern lands as a jongluer. It is foretold that sorcery is about and a small cast
Kayla Loewen
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
In the past,I always considered this book to be a bit of a bore; I'm not sure why I ever thought that!
The story line is good, and it's exciting to read about Will on his first mission! I love the way he turned out. Well, with Halt as your teacher I suppose it would be near impossible to become anything but one of the best!
I really like the character Malcolm, and all the people that live with him in the Healer's Clearing.
I especially love the fact that Alyss became involved in the plot, and that
Andrew Fox
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This has been my favorite book in the series, so far.

Will finally settles in
But that's not the end
Now there's a sorcerer from the North
And he needs to find the source
-ˋˏc a i s e eˎˊ-
So, since Horace is now roughly my age I can add him to my fictional boyfriends shelf, Hahah (◍•ᴗ•◍)♡ ✧* !!! Also, so far this cover is my favourite and I absolutely adore this series!!!!
C.P. Cabaniss
One of my reading goals this year was to read some of the series that I have ignored, despite the fact that I was enjoying them. This was one of those series. I read the first four a few years ago and really enjoyed them, then I just didn't pick up the next one. Which isn't really like me.

Anyway, this one jumps forward a few years in the story and Will has become a full Ranger. In some ways this was a good jump for me because it was so long since I read the last book. I didn't feel as lost as I
Odette Knappers
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Oh, wat heb ik GENOTEN van dit deel! De tijdsprong tussen het vorige deel en nu geeft het verhaal een nieuwe impuls. Ook zit het lekker vol met actie en vond ik de humor heerlijk, met regelmaat zat ik met een grijns op mijn gezicht op de fiets (ik luister dit boek op weg van- en naar werk).
Hank
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the others. I am very glad I read Erak's Ransom before this one, the time-line order has a much better flow.

It is still a good story but there were too many dull parts and a terrible cliff hanger which forces me to read the next one....I might have anyway but I don't like being forced.
Natalie
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
This takes place several years after the fourth book. Will is a new member f the Ranger’s Corps and has just become one of the fifty full-fledged Rangers of Araluen. Will has just received his first commission and the fief that he will be assigned to—Seacliff. It’s supposed to be really nice, quaint, quiet, nothing to crazy or dangerous. Afterall, he’s now the youngest Ranger in the Corps and this is his first fief. Life at Seacliff is much different from the life that Will Treaty is used to—he ...more
Evan
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really a great addition to the Ranger's Apprentice series.
I am a fan of this series, as it includes a large amount of adventure, wit and great characters. For those who haven't read the series yet, I advise you do.
This is the first book in the series where Will is finished his apprenticeship. When Lord Syron of the Norgate Fief in Hibernia is struck by a mysterious illness, Will, Tug, his new dog, and his friend/lover Alyss are called in to figure out what is ailing the Lord of No
Trisha
Dec 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Short and Sweet of It
Will finally is set off on his own, but not to fight the straightforward, frontal assault enemies of the past. This time he is up against a legend, an elusive sorcerer rumored to be poisoning the king of a northern fief, a land integral to the protection of the whole kingdom.

A Bit of a Ramble
As with all of the Ranger's Apprentice books, I loved the characters, the battle tactics, the weaving of plot lines, and the setting. Seeing Will strike out on his own was almost poi
Johanna
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Sorcerer in the North is the fifth book in the Ranger’s Apprentice Series by John Flanagan.
It starts several years after the last book ended. Will is now a full-fledged Ranger (can I say shame on you for not showing me that happening?) and has his first own fief to look after. But trouble quickly forces him to leave his new home and embark on a secret mission to figure out the truth behind mysterious occurrences in a castle on the northern border of Araluen.
This books gives me what I loved a
Alex
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
C
Dec 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm loving these books... they just get better and better. The characters are growing into wonderful people I truly enjoy reading about. This is the book I'm having to make myself put down to continue on with the "adult" fantasy novel of a gazillion pages. I love that the young adult book with a couple hundred pages and no overabundance of text, is the more immersive and believable of the two.

Edit - finished it yesterday over my breakfast. :) They're quick reads & it was easy to guess what w
Connor
Mar 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
This is a really fast read and I enjoyed it, but in comparison to the other books in the series that I've read so far, it wasn't as great in terms of plot and unpredictability. I'm sure the next book will be awesome though.
Cordelianne
The sorcerer in the North is Will's first quest alone as a ranger. This book was less action packed and dragged a bit. In the next book this quest will be solved, so I expect there will be more battles and action :)
Lexie
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
9/10. I loved this one! Not quite worthy of a 10/10 rating but very close. One of my favourites in the series!
Who's best for Will, Evelyn or Alyss? 21 78 Feb 24, 2019 06:32PM
Analysis of Conflict in Ranger’s Apprentice 1 4 Dec 14, 2018 07:43AM
Analysis of Conflict in Rangers Apprentice 1 1 Dec 13, 2018 05:26PM
Vampires, Weres a...: The Rangers Apprentice Month Six 6 14 Jul 01, 2018 08:22PM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Player's Ruse (Knight and Rogue, #3)
  • The Rise of the Wyrm Lord (The Door Within, #2)
  • The Fall of the Templar (Grey Griffins, #3)
  • Dronningens Tåre (Historien om Mira, #2)
  • Ironhand (Stoneheart Trilogy, #2)
  • Seeds of Rebellion (Beyonders, #2)
  • Rage of the Fallen (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #8)
  • Albrek's Tomb (Adventurers Wanted, #3)
  • The Way of the Dragon (Young Samurai, #3)
  • The Maze of the Beast (Deltora Quest, #6)
  • Rivers of Fire
  • The Legend of the King (The Squire's Tales, #10)
  • Zero Hour (H.I.V.E, #6)
  • Sir Rowan and the Camerian Conquest (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #6)
  • Dragon Games (The Books of Umber, #2)
  • Leven Thumps and the Eyes of the Want (Leven Thumps, #3)
  • The Lost Scrolls (Tennis Shoes, #6)

For mysteries by this same author, see John A. Flanagan.

John Flanagan grew up in Sydney, Australia, hoping to be a writer. It wasn't until he wrote a highly uncomplimentary poem about a senior executive at the agency where he worked, however, that his talent was revealed. It

Ranger's Apprentice (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1)
  • The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, #2)
  • The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice, #3)
  • The Battle for Skandia (Ranger's Apprentice, #4)
  • The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, #6)
  • Erak's Ransom (Ranger's Apprentice, #7)
  • The Kings of Clonmel (Ranger's Apprentice, #8)
  • Halt's Peril (Ranger's Apprentice, #9)
  • The Emperor of Nihon-Ja (Ranger's Apprentice, #10)
  • The Lost Stories (Ranger's Apprentice, #11)
“You had this young man with you for... what, six years?"
Halt shrugged. "Near enough," he replied.
"And did you ever understand a word he was saying?"
"Not a lot of the time, no," Halt said.
Crowley shook his head in wonder. "It's just as well he didn't go into the Diplomatic Service. We'd be at war with half a dozen countries by now if he was on the loose."
Will drew a deep breath to begin talking. He noticed that both men took an involuntary half step backward and he decided he'd better try to keep it as simple as possible.”
94 likes
“Halt! How are you? What have you been doing? Where's Abelard? How's Crowley? What's this all about?"
"I'm glad to see you rate my horse more important than our Corps Commandant," Halt said, one eyebrow rising in the expression that Will knew so well. Early in their relationship, he had thought it was an expression of displeasure. He had learned years ago that it was, for Halt, the equivalent of a smile.”
60 likes