Start by marking “Seas (Wendy Darling, #2)” as Want to Read:
Seas (Wendy Darling, #2)

Seas

(Wendy Darling #2)

Wendy Darling: Seas finds Wendy and Michael aboard the dreaded Sudden Night, a dangerous behemoth sailed by the infamous Captain Hook and his bloodthirsty crew. In this exotic world of mermaids, spies, and pirate feuds, Wendy finds herself struggling to keep her family above the waves. Hunted by the twisted boy who once stole her heart and struggling to survive in the whim ...more
Published September 20th 2016 by Sparkpress

To ask other readers questions about Seas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seas

Start your review of Seas (Wendy Darling, #2)
TJ
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, kindle
Received from: SparkPress
Received Via: NetGalley.com

THE REVIEW

Why this book?

I liked the first book in the series

What I thought

This one wasn’t as good as the first. Sure it was interesting to see her life with the pirates and to find out that Hook is actually the good guy. I just couldn’t connect with the story. I kept putting it off for some reason and it felt like it took me forever to finish it. I’m not saying the story was bad though, it was fun and adventurous at parts but at other parts it
Colleen Oakes
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
A summary:

"Proud and insolent youth," said Hook, "prepare to meet thy doom."
""Dark and sinister man," Peter answered, "have at thee.”

- J.M Barrie, Peter Pan
Stephanie (Bookfever)
I felt basically the same way about Wendy Darling: Seas as I did with volume one, Wendy Darling: Stars. I liked it for sure, though some parts were a little tedious. I did like this book more than the first one, I must say. I also thought the end was the best part of the whole book. And yet again the ending made me say holy crap out loud.

This book is pretty much about Wendy trying to find her place on the ship the Sudden Night among Captain Hook and his frightening crew. But also about protecti
Cassandra
I may be done with the series.

The first one was a guilty pleasure read but the second one took away the pleasure and just made me feel like I was wasting my time on a bad book. I really loved the first one, solely because I loved dark Peter but this book was all about Wendy. I didn't love Hook and learning his back story.

No longer the retelling I'm looking for.
Lisa Mandina
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just like with Three Dark Crowns I was contacted back in August to be a part of a Fall YA Tour. Now the books came a little later than planned, so I didn't get to this one before the publishing date unfortunately. I also had asked for the first book in the series, but due to the mix up and late mailing, I didn't get it. Fortunately, the author does a great job of catching you up on what happened in the last book. It's not done in a big info dump at the beginning, although you do get the necessar ...more
Sigourney
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Received from NetGalley for review.

‘He may want me, but he does not have my permission to take me. I do not belong to Peter Pan. Or any man, for that matter.’

YES WENDY. So many times, yes. I never knew I could have so many feelings about Wendy Darling, I even hate the name a little less now.

Wendy Darling, badass extraordinaire, returns in Seas having escaped Peter’s clutches only to be kidnapped (rescued?) by Captain Hook. Collen Oakes blew my mind last year with the first instalment in
Brenda
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Not a lot happens in Wendy Darling: Seas. In fact, I can break it down into one or two sentences for you without spoiling anything: Wendy and Michael float around with Captain Hook, find out he's not such a bad guy, and learn how to beat up Peter Pan. There. I can say that it really isn't much more fascinating than that; I'm not revealing any major plot points, but I'm not really missing any either. Everything you need to know is right there.

Surprising though it may be, the nothing that happens
⋆☆☽ Kriss ☾☆⋆
This installment to the Wendy Darling series packs a serious punch of great writing, storytelling, and especially character development. This is a great book! A great follow up to an excellent beginning forged in Wendy Darling Volume One: Stars. I loved this book. But god, how am I to survive the wait for volume three? Those last few pages... like a sucker punch in the gut.

Now that the set up is all fleshed out, this second installment lets us get into a lot of dark undertones coupled with an ex
Abby Vincere
May͛a [semi-hiatus]
This review contains potential spoilers! It's half-rant, after all.

If I had to grade this book using the educational system at school it would be deemed as...satisfactory. I find second books in trilogies to be really important installments, so I was curious to see how this one would turn out. I liked it waayyyyy better than book one, and it was enough to keep me reading and turning the page.

Let me first make myself clear. The lack of Peter Pan in this book cleared my skin and whitened
Kayla
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
We've took the story in a whole new direction and I love that ...more
Danielle N
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy and Peter Pan!
I was hesitant to request an ARC of Seas because honestly, I was unaware this series existed. I had not read volume one.. bad girl. Tsk tsk. But I was too intrigued not to. So I was pretty stoked when I received a copy and quickly downloaded this onto my Kindle and dove in. Fortunately, I felt that enough background was provided regarding previous events it seemed safe to proceed.

This was a truly fun and adventurous retelling, and my first involving Peter Pan (restraining from commenting further
Annette
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Normally I have a very strict rule when it comes to binge reading. I just don't do it. I don't wanna risk not being able to get into another book. But, for this trilogy I made an exception. I read the first book last Thursday and I picked up the second book yesterday, which means I will be able to finish the trilogy before the end of the year.

And damn, it was so incredibly worth it to loosen up on this rule! I'm a huge Alice in Wonderland fan, but not even Queen of Hearts got to me like this bo
Rachel Meyer
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't remember much about the first book in this series, but I do know this one was just as dark and twisted. But in an interesting way.

The adventure continues as Wendy joins forces with Hook, who turns out to be not quite as bad as Peter has made him out to be. I really loved all the pirate parts, and Hook, and watching Wendy grow some more. She's such a wonderful character- tough, yet very ladylike. She's awesome.

We also get to see some new locations and learn some new information about Pete
Heidi Goehmann
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
There is something about Wendy that makes my heartache, but also that leaves me inspired to be a braver version of myself. Middle novels in a series can kill and I actually loved this one more than the first. The unraveling of Hook's character was exceptionally done and the supportive characters were full fledge fantasies coming to life, while feeling slightly like people you may know in your own life.

Looking forward to the finale! Oh, one last thought... THAT CLIFFHANGER!!!!
Nele
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved Seas better than Stars, and it's all because of the much-awaited Captain James Hook. He might be a villain, but he's portrayed as a human with his flaws and all. And I adore him.
Yes, I love a good villain.
Wendy also takes a strong stand in this book and I love her for it.
Nickie Cleaver
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think I might have liked this one better than the first book. I like that Captain Hook is actually a good guy and Peter is the bad one
Alicia Miller
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
So this second book in the Wendy Darling series is my favorite so far. I loved spending my time braving the seas on a bonafide pirate ship with crusty sea pirates, bargaining with mermaids, and getting the inside scoop on ancient Neverland lore! AH, so good!! Wendy is slowly, but surely coming into her own and I must say I enjoy this Wendy WAY more than the one in book one. So naturally I can't wait to find out what book three has in store. Very happy with the journey this retelling series has t ...more
Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛
-POTENTIAL SPOILERS-

This one was as good as the first, if not better! The first half is slow, yes, but the build-up of the world and the different pirates was really good and I found myself getting invested in everything, like the story about the original Lost Girls.

Actually, all the backstories in this one were really good, especially the one about how Neverland came to be and why Peter Pan is as crazy as he is. I'm hoping he gets redeemed in the third book or something.

Pretty much everythin
Cyra Schaefer
Likes:

I think the thing that I liked the most about this series is that Peter is the villain and the pirates are the 'heroes'. I liked learning about life aboard the Sudden Night and seeing Wendy and Michael create relationships with the different pirates. I feel like the only pirate that was actually scary was Smith, the first mate, and I think at a certain point in the book, it becomes all for show.

I like how brave Wendy has to be in this book. She has to be brave with the pirates for Michael.
Melanie
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to SparkPress for the advance copy via Netgalley. The review that follows is my own opinion.

Colleen Oakes is a masterful storyteller. I loved the first book in the Wendy Darling series and I was not disappointed with the second! Oakes paints a lush portrait of a wondrous and dark Neverland where our heroine, Wendy, is caught between a vicious boy who is obsessed with her and a crew of violent pirates. Wendy is a fabulous character - despite her fear she's braving an impossible situati
Kayleigh  Sparrow
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a little slower than the first, but there is so much character development.
I love how much Wendy has grown and have brave she has become but she's not been turned into so superhero warrior. She's still a normal girl but her love for her family makes her brave, something I find very relatable.
The chapter with the mermaids had me skin crawling and that ending, what! I need the next book now!
Moriah
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, read-2016
Noooooooo!

What is anything? I need more - NOW!
Review coming soon-ish.
Kelly
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Seas is the second in the Wendy Darling trilogy.

In the first book, Stars, the story starts of quite similar to the Peter Pan tale we all know so well; Wendy and her two brothers, John and Michael, have settled in for the night while her parents head out to an evening party. Soon after, their bedroom window bursts open and a boy, a flying boy, enters the room and their lives.His name is Peter Pan, he tells them, and he comes from a place called Neverland. Through storytelling and wonder, Peter m
Brinley
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book so much better then the first one. Where the first one dragged, I felt like this one kept me excited the entire time. I feel like the author's writing improved immensely between the books, especially her characterization.

What I Liked
-I really liked the setting of Hook's ships, and getting to know each of the pirates. We got to meet more characters in this book, and their motives and actions were much more fleshed out. I really liked Hook, and the way the story of Pan's history
Jade
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
We already know Peter to be an unreliable narrator, so it's no surprise that Hook is not so much a monster but just a man. Pirates, however, aren't always the best people to trust so Wendy has to navigate a tentative agreement with Captain Hook, avoiding Peter, finding a safe place on the ship, and keeping herself and Michael alive. It's quite fun to read, to be honest.

While  Stars explored Neverland itself, Seas explores the history of its inhabitants. What really happened between Hook and P
Kelly Sierra
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Colleen Oakes. She has this knack of taking classic stories like Peter Pan or Wonderland and creating bold new stories that make the females the real heroines of the story. Most of the time these are darker retellings, that take the original hero and makes them the villain, and vice versa. This series is a reminder of that.

When we last saw Wendy, she had been taken by Captain Hook and his pirates, along with Michael, leaving John behind. Wendy had realized that Peter was pretty much a ps
Giuliana
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Belle With the Books
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
As someone who genuinely loves J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan, I was initially unsure of any sort of retelling of the story. I read the first in this series last year and immediately loved it. Peter is so different in this story than in the original. Yes, he is still mischievous and egotistical, but also manipulative and menacing. Oakes has done a wonderful job giving infinite depth to the story of Peter Pan v. Hook. Wendy is finding out so many things about Neverland and the people there. Oakes has in ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Unhooked
  • Second Star
  • Ensnared (Splintered, #3)
  • Jugar la vida
  • Tiger Lily
  • Unhinged (Splintered, #2)
  • Splintered (Splintered, #1)
  • RoseBlood
  • The Fate of Crowns (The Fate of Crowns, #1)
  • Cuando mamá lastima
  • Forest of Souls (Shamanborn, #1)
  • The Lost Kids (Never Ever, #2)
  • 極主夫道 4 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the House Husband, #4)
  • Don't Call the Wolf
  • Never Ever (Never Ever, #1)
  • El color del corazón: La historia de Harriet Beecher Stowe y la novela que cambió una nación: La cabaña del tío Tom
  • Hannah (Daughters of the Sea, #1)
Colleen Oakes is the bestselling author of books for both teens and adults, including The Black Coats, Queen of Hearts Series, The Wendy Darling Saga and Sister of the Chosen One. She lives in North Denver with her husband and son. When not writing or plotting new books, Colleen can be found swimming, traveling or immersing herself in nerdy pop culture.

You can visit her webpage at: www.colleenoak

Wendy Darling (3 books)
  • Stars (Wendy Darling, #1)
  • Shadow (Wendy Darling #3)