Start by marking “Learning to Fall” as Want to Read:
Learning to Fall

Learning to Fall

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  386 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Brynn honors her passion for horses by studying at the toughest veterinary program in the country. Months from graduating, tragedy strikes—tragedy for which she can’t help but feel responsible. Brynn feels suffocated by the weight of her father’s legacy and his dusty hopes for horse show jumping success. When Brynn’s frenetic efforts to dig the family business out of debt ...more
Published August 2nd 2016 by Sparkpress

To ask other readers questions about Learning to Fall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learning to Fall

Chasia Lloyd
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't know the first thing about horses, but I loved the heck out of this book.

"Learning to Fall" is a moving tale of a vet school student and show jumping rider named Brynn. Her life gets turned upside down when an accident causes her father and a horse to die. She has to put school on hold so she can save the family business after discovering her father left behind a lot of debt.

This NA throws romance on the back burner and focuses on Brynn's up-and-down journey of the year following her fat
Cindy Roesel
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
The relationship between a human being and a horse rarely just happens, it takes time. The owner needs to spend time feeding, grooming, talking and riding her horse. Equine research shows talking to your horse often in a conversational tone is most important. Studies have been done, showing horses have remained calm in traumatic situations because their owner remained calm and spoke in a peaceful voice.

Anne Clermont introduces us to the very unique and beautiful world of horses in her debut nove
Linda
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Most horse stories are written for young adults, but this one has adult themes and conflicts. The protagonist follows the hero’s journey touching bottom before rising from the ashes of despair from what are seemingly unsurmountable odds. Clermont rises to her own challenge of telling the story first person which restricts the author to keeping that voice in every scene. Each chapter pulls us forward to the next and she maintains dramatic tension throughout the book. There were places in the narr ...more
Rebecca
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Anne Clermont's LEARNING TO FALL is a heart-in-the-throat tale of seeking one’s destiny. Brynn Seymour, a show jumping rider, is thrust into impossibly challenging circumstances, struggling to make the right choices and put to rest the family tragedy that alternately paralyzes and pushes her beyond her limits.
Great novels about horses are few and far between, and LEARNING TO FALL, with its insights into the cutthroat, dangerous and glamorous world of show jumping, fits neatly into ones that stic
Julie Hersum
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading LEARNING TO FALL by new author Anne Clermont. This book has it all: tears, joy, tension, well-developed characters (some of them I want to read even more about!), quality dialogue; it was an all-around beautiful story that kept me turning pages all the way to the very end. And the end did not disappoint! I highly recommend this book, whether you are horse lover or not!

Gretchen Lida
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horse-books
A great escape! This book was so much fun. Clermont was able to get her readers to feel as if they too had been practicing their two-point and flew over the jumps with Jet and Byrnn. All Barn rats, dressage queens, eventing junkies, and adorable hunter girls need this book.
Emily Pacey
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read, Great Price

Bought because it's about horses and it was very inexpensive. Once I started reading, I just couldn't put it down. For anyone who loves horses.
Gaele
What will be familiar in many ways to anyone with experience of the competitive world of horse showing, Clermont opens the doors and provides an honest (if not always pretty) window into the world: cutthroat and full of joys and struggles large and small. Wanting to live a more stable life, not depending on the vagaries of wins and losses, Brynn has dedicated her time to her studies in veterinary school. But, an accident and years of financial juggling left her family in deep debt, with few opti ...more
Lisa Dunckley
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Learning To Fall was a pleasant surprise—so frequently equine fiction (especially from first time authors) is sub par, and this was a good read. Main character Brynne Seymour is in her last year of vet school and recovering emotionally from the loss of her father in an accident when she finds out that he left tons of debt and their horse training facility about to be foreclosed on. Of course she decides to save the property by taking over the training business and getting the property out of deb ...more
Terez Rose
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a lovely book this was to read. I am not a horse person, so I wasn’t sure how deeply I’d get drawn into the plot, but Clermont’s skill lies in creating a very human, gripping story with appeal for all. I am, however, a yoga and mindfulness meditation type, and I loved the element of this that found its way into the story. The Northern California setting was gorgeously rendered, and the characters were fully actualized. The excitement, pageantry (and the partying!) of the competitive world o ...more
Keisha
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am only one chapter in and I believe I will really enjoy this book. thus far the author's writing style speaks to me.
....... I finished this book and sit between a 3 1/2 star and 4 star rating. More towards the 3 1/2 but I can't say I did not enjoy this book. It is set around a horse farm and competitive show jumping which speaks to my heart. I constantly search for books set around a horse theme because that is my passion. I think the book started out strong but then towards the end I found i
Martha Bratton
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's a good book, and I gave it an extra star because I'm a horse show junkie. The author has an unusual combination of skills for writing this book, so it feels very authentic.

Clermont captures the poetry of horse & rider mutuality. If you aren't an animal lover, it might seem a little melodramatic, but I spent several years riding horses and traveling to shows with my daughters and think it's accurate. The connection between horse and rider is powerful, and the lessons learned are dramati
Debi Robertson
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
An intriguing read. Well written with interesting and realistic characters. A good study of the affects of guilt and what happens when we carry it around.
Linda Marie Marsh
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Learning To Fall......It's something we all have to do at some point in life, sometimes more than once. This is a good story about a young woman whose dreams get turned upside down and no, you do not have to be a horse aficionado to enjoy it! It's is about disappointment, guts ,and determination to reach for the impossible dream.
Brynn returns home to re-vamp the family business upon her fathers death, and it's more than she bargained for...yet she takes the leap! The author will have you rooting
Holly Tracy-Cure
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Susannah
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Top Drawer

The flow of the narrative is perfect. Tares along in the right spots. Develops relationships with warm and care. Liked her characters but occasionally they could feel flat. The main character's mother for instance. More of a silhouette than a person. What I wasn't crazy about was Bryn never finishing her Vet degree with only six months left. Would love to see more adventures where she joins up with Jason.
Penelope S. Rice
Good solid read.

I acknowledge that I am a soft touch when it comes to books about horses and riding, but Anne Clermont has done as superb job of capturing the realities of horsemanship, competitive riding and maintaining a stable on a less than affluent income. The characters are well developed and although the plotline is nothing new, she brings a solid story to flesh it out. Well done. Suitable for young riders too.
Kristi Sanders
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unexpected beauty

I wasn't sure what this book would bring me. I admit to loving horses and this started with making me think of Flika. But it was anything but that. It was better. This woman goes through so many trials in her life but she hangs on. Even when she thinks she can't anymore. This story is beautifully written and has such amazing moral values and findings. You must sit down and read Learning to Fall.
Carmel Ann Sperti
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Riding with Devils Chasing Her

Brynn's adventures in show jumping and the agonies of life form the basis for this very satisfying novel. Full of heartaches, joys and challenges, LEARNING TO FALL is a realistic and well developed novel, much better than the average horse girl yarn. I look forwatd to more from Anne Clermont.
SHERRY
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My new favorite author! I loved the characters and horses in this book. I couldn't put it down. My only complaint is that it wasn't long enough. I hope Anne Clermont is working on a sequel, because I need to know what comes next for Brynn and Jason as well as for Jett and Redwood Grove Stables. And of course, I want a happy ending for Eve.
Orly Konig
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Learning to Fall perfectly captures the highs and lows of the show jumping world, and the magical connection between horse and rider. I thoroughly enjoyed the lush details and heart-pounding excitement. Anne Clermont clearly knows the world she writes about and delivers a debut that will thrill horse lovers.
Helene
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great characters to love and hate along with insight into living with and loving horses. This. Story is not just for horse lovers! I Found myself galloping to the finish ( unable to stop reading) as the plot gained momentum and finally resolution, forgiveness, love and triumph for Brynn the protagonist! A great and unforgettable read!
Jena
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“As if conjuring my dream, the earth shook.”

The opening line of Learning To Fall reads as an omen. The earth shook and then Brynn’s world shook, leaving her to desperately try to hold on to everything she has ever known and loved.

Learning To Fall is a stunning debut novel that sweeps you into the world of horse show jumping. But to say that this is just a book about show horses is selling this exceptional book short. This book is about finding yourself when life seems determined to rip you apart
Beth Gilroy
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Equestrian-based novel

Great story with a lot of accurate equestrian references which doesn't normally occur together. I'd love to read a sequel to see how Brynn and the others continue on.
Shelley Engel
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Relaxing

To be honest I only read this book because my dear cousins name is "Brynn" & she was a show jumper.
It was a well written, although, predictable. I would recommend it to much younger women to read.
Sara Suseyi
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was excellent. I'm so blessed to live in a place that is home to so many talented authors and this is one of them. I read this book within 48 hours and it kept me wanting more. Great emotional pulling storyline.
Don
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful Book

What a beautiful story. I enjoyed every minute of reading it. One of my all time favorites. A must read for those who like to feel good when the story is over.
Celeste Behsmann
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i read this book in a little over 24 hours. I really couldn't put it down. The description and detail made the story intense and page turning.

The story was believable. and well written.
Carol Cain-Hom
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful read! I related to Brynn and her story, even though I'm not horse person. I couldn't put it down and found myself reading into the wee hours. I can't wait to read Clermont's next book!
Lara Jones
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is the perfect summer beach read!
Horse Book Lovers: Review 5 20 Feb 14, 2017 05:02PM