Start by marking “Baby Bear's Not Hibernating” as Want to Read:
Baby Bear's Not Hibernating

Baby Bear's Not Hibernating

Baby Black Bear has had so much fun with his friends moose, owl, and rabbit, that he's decided not to join his parents in hibernation for the winter. So as the weather begins to turn cold and snow starts to fall, Baby Bear just keeps frolicking, all under the watchful but unseen eye of his dad. After a while, Baby Bear begins to realize that life outside the den is not qui ...more
Published November 17th 2016 by Down East Books (first published October 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Baby Bear's Not Hibernating, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Bear's Not Hibernating

Sandra
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Baby Black Bear is planning to stay awake the who-o-o-o-o-le winter. To be prepared he asks his friends for smarts way to survive. Hoow does owl stay awake all winter? What does moose eat when all the leaves are gone? How does hare keep himself warm? When the first snow comes Baby bear says goodbye to his parents and gets himself ready for the adventure. But the branch breaks when he tries to lie on it. And frozen twigs for dinner is not what he was expecting. He also is too big to fit in hare's ...more
Suzanne
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, netgalley
After dealing with a child who actively resists bedtime, I enjoyed reading this story about a little bear who resists sleep. He learns what his friends do during his hibernating time, and ultimately finds out that he really wasn't missing much by sleeping. I do like how he keeps moving so he won't fall asleep - that is just too familiar. The facts about bears at the end were extremely interesting as well.
Abigail
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Children's Stories About Hibernation and/or Bedtime Resistance
Baby Black Bear is determined not to hibernate in this entertaining tale from author Lynn Plourde and illustrator Teri Weidner, deciding that he will experience winter with his friends Owl, Moose and Hare instead. Indulgent Papa Bear, wise to ways of young cubs, follows from a distance as his son attempts to stay awake, always there to provide food and shelter, but removed enough from the situation to give Baby Bear a sense of exploring on his own. Eventually Baby Bear realizes that snuggling wi ...more
Amanda
This was perfect for my 3s and 4s who are just learning the word "hibernate" - we loved it!
Amanda
Absolutely adorable.
Joni Thomas
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

My kids cannot get enough of this book! I have read it twice to them already and they have already requested it for bedtime tonight as well. It's not hard to see why either.

For starters the pictures are beautiful. The muted colors are gorgeous and so calming for kids to see at bedtime..

Baby Bear is just like any kid fighting bedtime when he tells his parents that he is NOT hibernating for the winter. He goes to visi
DelAnne Frazee
ASIN: B06VWGR55Y
Reviewed For NetGalley and Rowman & Littlefield
Reviewer: DelAnne
Rating: 5 Starts

Baby Black Bear enjoys playing with his friends so much that he has decided not to into hiberntion with his Mom and Dad. As they prepare to go to sleep Baby Bear announces that he is not going to hibernate this
Storywraps
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Any minute now the snow will start falling, winter will settle in and all good little bears will be tucked in their cozy caves snoring away until spring. That is all little bears except this particular baby black bear. He decides to skip the sleep and hang out and play with his friends. Who wants to hunker down and miss out on all the adventures that they are having? No way... a fun and frolicking winter it will be.

His concerned dad keeps a watchful eye on his cub. Dad prepares himself for an in
Erika
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. I was not influenced by the publisher and all thoughts are purely my own.

I initially requested this book on Netgalley to see if it would be a good fit for my young cousins, whom are big animal lovers and I'm already narrowing down my list of books to get them for Christmas. I would say that this book definitely makes the short-list for me! This is a charming little book about a rambunctious little black bear who doesn't want to hib
Ashley Salisbury
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very very cute!!
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book had me at the first page. Baby Bear is a cute and stubborn little bear who loves winter! He does not want to hibernate and sleep through the season so, when his parents head off to the den to sleep, he says good-bye, see you in the spring and heads off to visit his friends. He has some great friends who teach him what they do in the winter, and a heart warmingly protective dad.

This is a gorgeous little picture book with wonderful illustrations done in watercolour. It is a cute story th
Adrienne
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Baby Bear insists he is NOT hibernating, and when he finds out that some forest friends--Owl, Moose, and Hare--don't hibernate, he figures he'll do what they do in order to stay awake for the whole winter...but that turns out to be harder than he thought. Luckily, unbeknownst to him, someone special is looking out for him.

What a cute book! The plot is adorable, with Baby Bear so sure he can (and DID) stay awake through the whole winter, and the illustrations are fantastic. In the scenes with his
Philip
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
4ish stars.

I love picture books that double as fact sheets. And it's a combination bedtime story. Triple threat.

You could totally use this with a kid who wants to stay up the whoooooooole night. Honestly, staying up all night kind of sucks. I've done it. Baby Black Bear asks his buddies how they go without hibernating and he tries it himself (unknowingly) under the watchful eye of a great dad who lets him experience firsthand what's in store and allows Baby Bear to realize for himself that it's
Skippysreviews
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really liked the illustrations in this book. They were consistent and pleasant. I also like that the animals are more life-like and less “cartoony”.

The lesson Baby Bear learns is, to me, about being who you are and not trying to be someone else. When Baby Bear tries to be like Owl, Hare, and Moose, he learns pretty quickly he was not made to be like them. I like how Papa Bear is right there, watching over his little cub the whole time, making sure he is ok.

I also liked that there were fun fact
Robyn
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This endearing story about an inquisitive, stubborn baby black bear’s encounter with other animals while he attempts to avoid hibernation with his family, will provide young readers with knowledge of the wintertime habits of various species, while sparking interest in learning more about both these and other animals.

Throughout the book, the author meshes both fiction and non-fiction text effectively.

The use of bold text for select words is effective in demonstrating emphasis and expression, and
Fel
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Baby Bear's Not Hibernating is a joyous book! Baby Bear is portrayed as determined little guy, but he carries the innocence that all children posses. You can't help but be impressed by his determination, while wanting to give him a hug for his sweetness.

The watercolor illustrations are beautiful, and really add to the book's appeal. Visually, they grab your attention and leave you wanting more. They also follow the story perfectly, allowing you to get immersed in the little story of Baby Bear.
Erika Quinonez
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A wonderful book for bedtime or to teach your little one a few fun facts about bears, which can be found conveniently at the end of the story. There were a few things I didn't know about Black Bears until this book that genuinely surprised me.
Baby Bear is a cute and stubborn little bear who loves winter! He has some great friends and a heart warmingly protective dad. I thoroughly enjoyed this and highly recommend it to everyone with little ones of your own.
Donna Maguire
This is a gorgeous little picture book with some amazing images and I can easily see it becoming a firm family favourite. The story is very good, you learn from it as well as genuinely enjoy it - very highly recommended and I'll be looking to get a copy to keep. It's the kind of book I loved and cherished as a child.
Cat
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cute little story of a baby bear who wants to stay up all winter! Good tale to bring up hibernation with with little ones! Bedtimes no fun at all for young ones of any species! Illustrations are adorable!
I received a free download of this book on Net Galley in exchange for my review.
Michele Knott
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wonderful book to add to your bear collection or really to just your read aloud section! Great hybrid book - makes a fun story while also learning some facts!
Poongothai
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
A good bed-time book with interesting facts about bears at the end.

Thanks to netgalley
Elizabeth
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute story with good information about hibernation. Would be a fun read aloud.
Jennifer Kelley
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations, good story, if a bit long for preschoolers.
I especially enjoyed the smaller illustrations that are along the side of the book.
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Soft watercolors illustrate this story. It would be a good read for bedtime. I like that it has facts about bears after the story.

I received an ARC from NetGalley.
Sarah Peterman
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, 2016
Adorable book about a baby bear who doesn't want to hibernate and his parents who support him.
littlemiao
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a silly book about a silly little bear who decides not to sleep through winter, but does so anyway. Silly as it was, the book also managed to be informative in regards to the wintertime habits of bears. The Miaolings could relate to a baby bear getting silly notions, but they couldn't really relate to someone wanting to stay awake for so long.
Diana Pettis
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book.
Bethe
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Bookaday #44. Nice addition for a hibernation unit, a story with imbedded fact. Back matter includes more vocabulary & facts.
Christine Grant
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Hibernation Story Time. Baby Bear decides not to hibernate this winter. He asks his friends to help him stay away the whooooooole winter!
Amber
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books
Cute book
« previous 1 3 next »
I write kids' books--talk about a FUN job! I worked for 21 years as a speech-language therapist in Maine schools. When I got married, I got 3 & 4-year-old stepsons as part of my ready-made family. I read the boys picture books at bedtime. They fell asleep after 2 or 3 books, but I kept reading stacks and stacks of picture books and started to dream . . . maybe I could write picture books. I wa ...more