Start by marking “First Snow” as Want to Read:
First Snow

First Snow

Look out. Now look up. From the sky one flake falls, then another. And just like that—it's snowing.

In this beautiful book from debut creator Bomi Park, a young girl wakes up to the year's first snowy day. From her initial glimpse out the window to her poignant adventures—rolling a snowman, making snow angels—the girl's quiet quests are ones all young readers will recogniz
Published September 6th 2016 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about First Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Snow

Start your review of First Snow
Kendall
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely story and stunning illustrations that evoke the quiet serenity of winter at night and the excitement of the first snow. Magic!
Rebecca
Just beautiful! Bomi Park's nighttime illustrations look like pastel on canvas -- they are evocative and fuzzy. You, too, will want to be a little child having a magical night in the first snow.
Bookishrealm
I randomly picked this one up when it was checked back into our library. I didn't dislike it but I also didn't enjoy it. The illustrations were beautiful and I loved that the book focused on utilizing black and white and the only pop of color was white. It made the book feel as though I was reading it during winter (even if I live in the South). However, I think that is book will be better known for it's illustrations opposed to the text simply because there wasn't much to really read. I don't k ...more
KC
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Outstanding illustrations
Barbara
Originally published in South Korea, this lovely picture book relies on the contrast between light and dark tones and shades to tell the story of the first snow of the year, always a memorable experience no matter how old someone is. A little girl awakens to find snow flurries falling outside her window, gets dressed, heads outside, and then makes a snowball that she rolls across the yard, all the way into the woods and then into a clearing. There, she finds several other youngsters who have don ...more
Julie
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous. These may be my favorite illustrations from 2016. I especially like that the artist uses only black, white, and red, except for the little touch of brown on the calico cat and some of the animals in the forest. :)
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Think this got an extra star because I loved the illustrations
Ben Truong
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
First Snow is a children's picture book written and illustrated by Bomi Park. It centers on a little Korean child celebrating the titular first snow.

The text is rather simplistic and straightforward. With few unobtrustive words, the narrative in tandem with the illustrations evokes a world of enchantment of a first snowfall. The artwork recalls the child portraits of mid-20th-century artists, but gives them new dignity with a somber palette.

The premise of the book is rather straightforward. A sm
Alex  Baugh
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
While the world is sleeping, it begins to snow. A small girl hears it, sees it and puts on her snowsuit, hat and red scarf. In the yard, she makes a snowball and starts to roll it, followed behind by a small white puppy. The girl rolls and rolls her snowball, which grows and grows, going past some houses, and into the county, then, alongside a speeding train, through the woods and all the animals living there, finally arriving at a field full of other children building snowmen. But in the mornin ...more
Stephanie Croaning
This is a nearly wordless picture book that follows a young child as she awakens during the night to see that snow has fallen. She sneaks outside and creates a snowman. The illustrations are primarily black and white, with splashes of red for her scarf and mittens.

The child pushes her ball of snow through the town and into the forest, making it bigger and bigger. The story takes on a magical, dreamlike quality as she then encounters hundreds of other children who are all making snowmen in this w
Samantha
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was perfect for reading to 2-5 year olds. They all enjoyed the story and the illustrations are very beautiful.
Jessica
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The black, white, and red paintings that illustrate the book not only help set the tone of winter and magic in the middle of the night but further the story as much as the brief text.

The story itself reminds me of the childhood wonder similar to boarding the Polar Express or stepping into Narnia.

I was excited to learn that this title was originally published in South Korea and just in the United States in 2016.

I plan to use this title for storytime in the future.
Ashley Wesner
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
So wonderful! It's a joyous look at the first snowfall of the season. Love the splashes of colors. Reminiscent of Keats' Snowy Day.
Kid Lit Reviews
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, 2016-reviews
A young girl hears the soft patter of snowflakes against her windowpanes. It is the First Snow of winter.Quietly, she puts on her snow gear and tip toes outside. There, she and her small pure white dog pat together a snowball; she then begins rolling it into a larger base for a snowman. Out her yard, the toddler rolls her snowball into a farm under the moon, faster now next to the train, and then into the woods—where a bear cub rolls a snowball of his own.

As the snowball gets bigger, the girl, s
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A heartwarming debut, that captures the magic of a child's first snow.

With beautiful illustrations, and a sweet story, readers will love the wonder, and adventure of First Snow. I love the simplicity of the story, and the illustrations. The black and white coloring with little bits of red, make for a timeless feel. Look closely at each of the illustrations, especially within the woodland scenes, because there just may be a few things hidden within the trees.

We absolutely love this book. It's o
Kristina Jean Lareau
A young child awakens to the first snow, and wanders outside to explore.

This debut picturebook captures the wonder and magic of the first snow of the season. It is a quiet book, rendered in soft shades of black, white, gray and a splash of red. From the snow-speckled endpapers to the final quiet spread, this picturebook breathes life into the reader.

Incredible.
Crystal
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ideas-for-kids
Captures the magic of snow and childhood wonder with beautifully simply artwork and writing. Translates beautifully from Korean, as the magic of children and snow transcends language and cultural barriers. A lovely choice for any adult reading to a young child.
Joanne Roberts
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Starts strong. Finishes in surreal style. Would have like to see one or the other. Felt off-balance. Cool black and white with limited color style, but not used to potential.
Kirjapallo
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute book. The ending was a bit weird, but maybe kids don't notice that the children are making snowmen in the sky... ;)
Michele Knott
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Simple text, but the real story is in the illustrations. The artwork is simply gorgeous. It warranted more than one reading for me.
Evan
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There is nothing more magical than the delicate falling of snowflakes.
Mairead
Gift from Moopsie! So beautiful. Loved the page with the elevated train and in the street between buildings especially. The glow of the snow!
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Toddler-Preschool
It's the first snow of the season and this little girl cannot wait to get outside. Bundling up, the little girl starts in her backyard with a small ball and roll, roll, rolls it through her city neighborhood, through the farm fields, and through the woods. Soon she comes across a clearing full of other children making snow people. Helping each other, the children make a whole village of snow people which then take flight, dancing in the sky. At this point, adults can be reassured that this littl ...more
Kelsey
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Age: Toddler-Preschool

Raven Black
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Poetic story about the first snow fall and how magical it is to one child. Invokes The Snowman's "sneaking out" feeling and that nothing bad could happen. I did go back and look at the illustrations more closely as there are some hidden items/critters/etc. that I was wondering if were really there or the child's imagination (ie: her puppy turned in the polar bear). SPOILER of course, the odds the child rolls a snowball far enough to find a magical world with other children is very small, therefo ...more
Janet
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Looking forward to seeing more books from this debut South Korean artist. First Snow is a lovely soft and gentle about going out into the first snow. Lovely the illustrations that Park created using four dominate colors: white, black, a little beige and a bit of red. Check the double page illustration depicting "through the woods". Look deep into that forest and see what animals are about observing the little girl roll a large snowball.
Peacegal
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I agree with the others who called this book "magical." The gentle, dreamlike illustrations are a joy. Although, I cringed when we see the illustration of the little girl's yard--that poor dog and her puppies, chained outside in the snow!--the overarching theme of this book places it strictly in the realm of fantasy, not the least bit indicated by the fact that many children leave their homes in the middle of the night alone.
Becky B
When the first snow falls, a child goes out into the snow to make a snowman with the other children.

I like the subtle touches that show that this is set in Korea, like the kimchi pots in the backyard. I was a little disturbed at the thought of a child sneaking out in the middle of the night to make a snowman without their parents' knowing. But I think that's reading a little too much into this. The illustrations are soft and beautiful. This would be a good multicultural winter read.
That One Librarian
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Soft illustrations in black and white with pops of red and light skin tones create a quiet and hypnotic depiction of a young child's first snow. The child dons snow gear to creep outside and makes a snowball, rolling it past buildings and animals to a clearing where many other children are also building their snowmen. Gentle and sweet.
Emma
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is pure magic. The illustrations are sparkling and you can hear the crunch of the snow through them. Though I would be giving out a disclaimer to the children I read it too that they shouldn't sneak out the house at the first sign of snow lol!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Before Morning
  • The Red Book
  • The Snowy Nap
  • Hooray for Snow!
  • Where's Walrus? And Penguin?
  • Where's Walrus?
  • Blizzard
  • Bunny Slopes: (Winter Books for Kids, Snow Children's Books, Skiing Books for Kids)
  • Winter Dance