Start by marking “Bad Girls Throughout History: 100 Remarkable Women Who Changed the World (Women in History Book, Book of Women Who Changed the World)” as Want to Read:

Aphra Behn, first female professional writer. Sojourner Truth, activist and abolitionist. Ada Lovelace, first computer programmer. Marie Curie, first woman to win the Nobel Prize. Joan Jett, godmother of punk. The 100 revolutionary women highlighted in this gorgeously illustrated book were bad in the best sense of the word: they challenged the status quo and changed the ru ...more
Published September 6th 2016 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Bad Girls Throughout History, please sign up.
Jenna i would say yes. probably middle school-high school. (maybe 13+, only b/c a few of the women mentioned were known for sex/sexy things, ie. dr. ruth…morei would say yes. probably middle school-high school. (maybe 13+, only b/c a few of the women mentioned were known for sex/sexy things, ie. dr. ruth (sex therapist), betty page, christine jorgensen (1st transgender female) madonna, etc.)(less)
Anika No, however there is another book like this one called, Rebel Ladies who Brazen Rocked the World by Penelope Bagieu, that is a graphic novel.

Nat
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it

This book is a noteworthy collection about 100 remarkable women who changed the world, featuring spectacular watercolours illustrations for each and everyone. I did go in a bit hesitant since I've tried my hand at similar collections to this one, such as Rejected Princesses by Jason Porath, but they untimely failed in capturing my interest because of the length of the essays that read l
Lindsay
Readable? Yes. Ground-breaking? No.

The title should really read something more like, Bad Girls Throughout History Mostly Since the 19th Century and Who Are Mostly White, and More Frequently American or Western European.

I liked the concept, but I found some of the information a little off. And as my alternate title suggests, this is by no means even close to a comprehensive or inclusive collective biography. About 80% of it covers the last 200-ish years.

And at first glance, Shen's artistic style
Marty :} (thecursedbooks)
Nothing makes me happier than seeing more and more feminist books being released, books that have the purpose of educating ladies about our legacy, about the fact that we can too. I loved this book because it was powerful, I had these 100 indeed remarkable ladies who did great stuff, some of these women I've already known of, others were unknown to me. The illustrations were very beautiful and added a lot to this book. Why I gave it 3 stars considering all this praise? Because it's very short an ...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Bad Girls Throughout History: 100 Remarkable Women Who Changed the World is an absolute must-have in every home library, and not just those owned by girls. It’s an essential read that helps bring to light the incredible impact women have on humanity as a whole, as well as the innate strength and capacity for greatness each woman possesses.

Ann Shen is the writer and illustrator behind this interesting book. Each of the one hundred short articles is accompanied by watercolor illustrations, and ea
Liz Janet
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Ann Shen gives us a non-exhaustive list of some of the most well-known women for the contributions they made to humanity, from their work on abolitionism, to improvement in medicine, to ruling whole countries, to their advancement of the arts. Small snippets describing their lives accompanied by beautiful drawings of the characters, sort of a Rejected Princesses
for those with no internet.

The book is quite simplistic in its description, barely giving us any detailed information, which may be use
Shreya
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
If you will read none of my other reviews, I beg you to read the entirety of this one. Read, comment, share, like, whatever. Just see this and take a moment to think about it. Thank you.

This book, while important in our world today, still leaves a lot to be desired. "Throughout History" should mean featuring women from all parts of the world and all walks of life, yet the overwhelming majority of the women featured here were white. European and American women dominated the scene, and POC were o
Marie the Librarian
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A million stars and everyone should read this!! The illustrations are gorgeous and these women are soooo badass!!!
Kazia
Sep 24, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a fun coffee table book, but a bunch of relatively small things added up to bother me. No First/Native Nations women were featured, which is especially troubling in such a US-focused book. The author also uses outdated terminology when describing a trans woman (specifically, "transsexual"), and it doesn't feel like it's being used as a historical term. It's also super entertainment-focused, and a lot of the entries could barely be considered skimming the surface (not that anything more t ...more
Tran Thanh Tu
A powerful book which sheds light on inspiring yet unknown women. Very worth reading, indeed.
Emily
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feminism, nonfiction
This is a book about those who came before us, who knocked up against that glass ceiling and made a tiny fissure or a full-on crack.

This was a quick, inspiring read about women who accomplished great things in their lives and challenged societal norms through their success and/or actions. I knew a lot about several of them going in, like my favorite person Dolly Parton, and some I'd barely heard of before, like Aphra Behn, who I had just learned about in A Room of One's Own. Reading this made me
Katie
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in a couple hours on my commute home. What a fun book!! Chapters are short, maybe one or two pages detailing the major accomplishments of 100 badass ladies throughout history. Each chapter is also followed by an illustration, some including an inspiring quote from the woman it depicts. This is an eye-opening, entertaining, and ultimately triumphant book for all women. I wish this had been around when I was a teenager.
Monica Kim: Reader in Emerald City
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
mini review of “Bad Girls Throughout History: 100 Remarkable Women Who Changed the World” and “Legendary Ladies: 50 Goddesses to Empower and Inspire You” by Ann Shen.
Great, beautifully illustrated books celebrating some of the incredible women & goddesses. Definitely not an exhaustive list, but each book contains gorgeous illustrations & illuminating essays that’ll make a great gift. I don’t know if these books are for kids or adults, but I think it’s more geared towards adults because
Melki
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: girl-power, history
I'll go three stars for this one only because I think the author accomplished what she set out to do - provide thumbnail sketches of important women. It's up to you the reader to dig deeper if any of these brief biographies catch your fancy. I really had no quibbles with the women chosen for the book except that there were a few too many movie stars, and that the author's "caricatures" were a little too pretty and unrealistic.
description
The Dyslexic Bookworm
***Actually 3.5 Stars***

This book was good, but it felt a bit repetitive and the writing style was boring at times. I must say though that the art in the book was beautiful. One thing I do wish the author had included was more remarkable women from countries other than the United States. I also still don't know if this is a children's book or not, since, in my opinion, it reads more like a ya book. Someone, please let me know! But, overall this book was just okay.
Joanne Moyer
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick read of 100 not so much 'bad' girls, more like women who dared to be different and changed the world in their way.
The list works it's way chronologically from women like Joan of Arc, Marie Curie, Bonnie Parker, Oprah, Joan Jett and Tina Fey.
There are also nice illustrations for each woman.
An interesting look at 100 interesting women.
Rachel Strolle
Not enough WOC and some who I was like "really?" (*cough* Edith Wharton)
Brave
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
From actresses and artists to aviators, and strippers to scientists, there is truly a little taste of everything in here. I thoroughly enjoyed this read, and even though it included some (perhaps) questionable entries, I still enjoyed reading through the "Bad Girls" in History, and found it funny to see which women were included.

This book follows a format of an entry for each of the 100 women which includes a few paragraphs about the lives of these women and why they were included here. It also
Lis Carey
This is a great little collection of short, one- or two-page bios of "bad girls," women who did what they needed to do rather than what they were expected to do. There are warrior queens and pirate queens, actors and writers, inventors, actors who became inventors, politicians, doctors, nurses, notorious criminals, and spies. It's light, lively, with fun, colorful art showing the women described.

It is, sadly, quite oversimplified, probably inevitable given the limited space. We don't know if the
kory.
Mar 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
I'm not sure why I expected this to not be a white feminist mess.

It just feels like all these women, and their histories, struggles, and especially their problematic actions or beliefs, are being romanticized for the sake of a quick, simplified aesthetic feminist book.

There are women included in this who are racists, anti-abortion, eugenicists, ableist, have problematic political views, are just horrible people, and have those erased or polished to make the controversy around them seem like it w
Fabienne
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Maya Angelou "You've got to go out and kick ass" (p.170)
Andrea
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars really - maybe 4.75.

I really, really did enjoy this book. I thought the women chosen were great, the summaries succinct and the illustrations so wonderful.

Being a stickler as I am though, I still wish there had been more lesser known, perhaps even more diverse, selections -- though all of these women are definitely bad girls. Plus there were some that I know the more troubling aspects of their history (I'm looking at you Susan B. Anthony) that were glossed over in the descriptions. B
Reyes
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Entertaining, quick and easy to read and with gorgeous illustrations, very recommendable! My only issue is that it's not very innovative in the sense that I already knew about 95% of the women included in this book, and most of the ones I didn't know about left me a bit cold. Also, a lot of the biographies were way too short to fully transmit the impact these very awesome ladies have had in our society.
Sheila
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short biographies of 100 unique women who did amazing things for their time. My daughter loves these biographies, so we read these aloud together.
Erica Leigh
Beautiful illustrations with accompanying entries that are short but still fascinating; a great introduction to women who have made their marks in society and culture.
Kait
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
100 short, but certainly not sweet, synopses of seriously badass women throughout history.

If you are looking for a quick and fun read, complete with killer illustrations, then I highly recommend.
Melissa
I really enjoyed these short profiles on ‘Bad Girls’ and I’m pretty sure I’ll be gifting this one a few times in the future. Many I knew, Ruth Bade Ginsburg, Sally Ride, and Malala Yousafzai...some were new to me like Junko Tabei... but I found myself pausing to look up a few and read more, google their artwork, add their books, etc.

Just an FYI...it also includes grown up bad Girls from Gypsy Lee Rose to Bettie Page, as well as leaders of the feminist movements, and icons like Oprah and Maya Ang
Holly
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gah, I love books like this. I knew about many of these women already, but it was fun to get more information, and also meet others whom I barely knew or knew nothing about. I love that it was about them and their achievements, and the way that they've all done things to change the face of society and the world. They were (and are) revolutionary. I want more books about powerful and amazing women being bad and breaking glass ceilings and living their lives fearlessly and passionately. HERE FOR I ...more
Yasmine Ali
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
More like 4.5/5.
It is one of these books that won't make you remember ever single strong woman in it, but will make you remember their incredible work and strength that's helping us in our current days.
Ann Shen has done the right thing by giving the summery of these amazing ladies and not the tiring details that we will eventually forget. Her illustrations are what makes this book more interesting that it is, they are so fresh and young and spiritual.
I can't wait for Legendary Ladies: 50 Goddess
Antonella
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a fun read. Short stories about 100 amazing and badass women in our history. And when I say our I really mean it. OUR, WORLD HISTORY. We all should learn from these women and be inspired by them. Their life lesson transpire years and culture and most definitely race.

Some stories I knew, some I didn't but with most of them I was curious to know more.

I would NOT say these are bad girls, I would say these are brave women.

And as Queen Bey says we sure run this world.

Deserthomemaker
May 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Brief biographies of 100 women who have made history. Some I’d heard of, some I hadn’t, but all are interesting. I think this book works best as an introduction and jumping off point for deeper study of the women who you find most interesting.

• Around the World in Seventy-Two Days And Other Writings
  • Why I March: Images from the Woman's March Around the World
  • Dead Feminists: Historic Heroines in Living Color
  • Rad Girls Can: Stories of Bold, Brave, and Brilliant Young Women
  • Girls Who Rocked The World: Heroines From Anne Frank to Natalie Portman
  • Half-Marathon: You Can Do It
  • Stormtroopers: Beyond the Armor (Star Wars)
  • Women in Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World
  • The Little Book of Feminist Saints
  • Fight Like a Girl: 50 Feminists Who Changed the World
  • The Spectacular Sisterhood of Superwomen: Awesome Female Characters from Comic Book History
  • Bad Girls of Fashion: Style Rebels from Cleopatra to Lady Gaga
  • All Strangers Are Kin: Adventures in Arabic and the Arab World
  • Runaways: The Complete Collection, Vol. 3
  • No Truth Without Ruth: The Life of Ruth Bader Ginsburg
  • Aladdin: A New Translation
  • She Persisted Around the World: 13 Women Who Changed History
  • Women Who Dared: 52 Stories of Fearless Daredevils, Adventurers, and Rebels
Ann Shen is an illustrator, letterer, and author based in Los Angeles. A graduate of UCSD and Art Center College of Design, Ann has created work or a number of publications, campaigns, products, and galleries for children of all ages. She lives with her husband and their small menagerie of animals.

She's written and illustrated two books, "Bad Girls Throughout History" (2016) and "Legendary Ladies"
“You are never too old, too small, or too late to live the life you’re meant to lead. Especially if it means rewriting the rules to do it.” 6 likes
“Everything we’ve gained has been hard-won by a woman who was willing to be bad in the best sense of the word.” 4 likes