Start by marking “Cozy Classics: The Nutcracker” as Want to Read:
Cozy Classics: The Nutcracker

Cozy Classics: The Nutcracker

Cuddle up with a classic! In twelve needle-felted scenes and twelve child-friendly words, each book in this ingenious series captures the essence of a literary masterpiece. Simple words, sturdy pages, and a beloved story make these books the perfect vehicle for early learning with an erudite twist. Budding bookworms will delight in this clever retelling of the classics mad ...more
Board Book, 24 pages
Published September 6th 2016 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Cozy Classics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cozy Classics

Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
~ review copy

I would love to know who the real market is for these books. Is it little children, English or Art teachers, teens or adults -- or perhaps a swath out of all these markets.

Myself... what can I say. I am drawn to these little volumes. They're fun and even intriguing. I've sat with the children, and I've sat by myself, considering the single words that the authors have chosen to represent whole chapters and dramatic events in the tales they've portrayed. And the artwork! So well done.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Jack and Holman Wang bring to life E. T. A. Hoffman's classic Christmas story, The Nutcracker, with their signature needle felted scenes. Featuring twelve needle felted scenes, each image captures the timeless story with beautiful imagery that even the youngest of readers will enjoy looking at. Accompanied on the opposite page of each picture, is one bolded word that helps bring the story to life. Words such as gift, sleep, mouse, go, snow, love, and more. This book is perfect for little hands, ...more
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

Growing up, one thing I liked to do every year around Christmas was to watch the TV movie The Nutcracker, starring Mikhail Baryshnikov and Gelsey Kirkland. I absolutely adored ballet (was an aspiring ballet dancer as well!) and, like a lot of folks, thought Baryshnikov was pure magic. So, I'd hunker down in front our fireplace with some hot chocolate and watch...And while I don't participate in that tradition anymore, my love of that memory and how much I still enjoy The Nutcracker stands. Needl
Pug
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having never read the actual book, I had a difficult time following this story. Perhaps more than 12 words would have helped this one? But I can't complain, because I still got to see those adorable felt figures, and didn't have to waste my time reading the original book!
Kate Puleo Unger
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: board-books-read
Board Book ages 0-2

This book teaches basic vocabulary from the Nutcracker story - gift, mouse, prince, etc. There are photos of dolls acting out the story, but they're a little creepy. This book was clearly written for adults who love this story to share with their kids, but I don't know that it's one that babies would enjoy on their own.

Kat
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
The trend to use well known stories in picture books with only one word per page is interesting but doesn't hold my attention. I also thought other words could have been used to more effect than the ones chosen. The felt pictures were nice. I did like that the story was not ended as a dream but stayed with the original ending.
Barbara
The classic story of the Nutcracker is narrowed down to 12 important words that are accompanied by scenes that are rendered in felt. Fans of the ballet and story will fall in love with it again, and those who are new to it will fall in love with it for the first time and want to learn more. I am still amazed at how carefully chosen each of those words is and how the scenes are depicted.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cybils nominee for Best Board Book 2o16. More later.
Sharon