Start by marking “The Doorway and the Deep (The Water and the Wild, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Doorway and the Deep (The Water and the Wild, #2)

The Doorway and the Deep

(The Water and the Wild #2)

4.53  ·  Rating details ·  96 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Even after escaping from the Southerly Kingdom, Lottie Fiske and her best friend Eliot have returned to the magical Albion Isle, despite the fact that she is a wanted criminal there, because she is seeking answers about her abilities, and her parents--but war is threatening Limn, and the answers she needs seem to lie in the Northerly Kingdom, along a road full of dangers.
Published October 4th 2016 by Chronicle Books

Rebecca McNutt
The Water and the Wild is one of my favourite middle grade novels, so I'm really glad K.E. Ormsbee put out a sequel. Eliot becomes a more central character, Lottie is more resourceful than ever, and their adventures never let up on the excitement. :)
Leah
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Noooo! Not a cliffhanger?!!

The torture. The agony of waiting for the next book.

Yeah, I love it.

"A red apple tree grows in the heart of Wandlebury Wood. It is a burst of color in a land of silver grass and white-barked yew trees, and out from its trunk step two travelers. The girl takes a small bird from her pocket. The boy takes a deep breath."

The Doorway and the Deep picks up pretty much right where The Water and the Wild left off. (view spoiler)
Gail
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In “Doorway and the Deep,” K.E. Ormsbee redeems the sins of “The Water and the Wild,” capitalizing on all the promise that lay dormant there. Though her foreshadowing is still a little heavy-handed for my taste, all the other flaws of the first installment are absent, replaced by characters, plot developments, and prose that make for a truly relatable, middle grade page-turner with more than a hint of feminism.

Here are a few of my favorite quotes:

“You can’t trust anyone, not on the road north. Y
Ashley Blake
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
Loved this sequel so much. Lyrical and magical and imaginative, Ormsbee sucked me back into the world of Limn from the first page. I adore these characters and I was so happy to be back with them and this book only developed them more and cemented them into my heart. And that ending. Hoo boy, that ending.
Rachel Patrick
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This review (and others) can be seen in all its properly formatted glory on my blog Beauty and the Bookshelf

After reading and loving The Water and the Wild last year, I was eager to get my hands on the sequel. The Water and the Wild featured a Wonderlandish, Neverlandesque fantasmical world and had a quirky, fun cast of characters I utterly adore, plus some very promising prose. When an ARC fell into my hands (possibly from a magical, portal-like apple tree), I was excited to return to Limn and
Erin Wert
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
I love Kathryn, but I hate Kathryn. So much happened in the next book in the series, and it also left me with so many questions. I need answers, I need more. It was a joy to join Lottie on her adventures once again.
John Wheeles
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not a stand alone, still fun and filled with adventure. Surprise twists? There were a few. Interesting characters in unusual locations using magic to avert war. I'm sure you'll enjoy this story, as long as you don't mind cliffhangers...
Stacy268
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It started slowly then picked back up. You really need to read the first book to get backstory and characters, but I remembered as I went along. And Fife! <3!
Cindy Hudson
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Doorway and the Deep, sequel to K. E. Ormsbee’s The Water and the Wild, starts off with Lottie and her friends living in Wisp territory, where Lottie is taking lessons to sharpen her ability to heal others. She knows her friend Elliot will need her skills one day, and she wants to be ready.

But when the head of the Wisps makes a deal that sends her to the North, she once again sets out on a journey with her friends. There are dangers to be sure, and Lottie goes against her will, yet she’s als
MrsK Books
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Since Lottie's return from New Albion, Eliot has had the best prognosis. Eliot's father has sold his business and moved. Their previous adventures lead Lottie into the discovery about her talent. Yet, now was the time for Lottie to return to New Albion in a quest to "sharpen" her "keen." With the understanding and approval of Eliot's father, they both re-enter the world beyond the apple tree and are created by their friends in Wisp Territory. Knowing what your "keen" is and being trained in its ...more
Amanda
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I won this as an ARC from the publisher and am finally doing the review.

The adventure goes deeper and a bit darker as the reader learns more about Sprites and about New Albion and keens and Lottie Fiske and her heritage. I had the hardest time ever forcing myself to stop reading this and come back to real life and do grown-up-y sort of stuff. I really enjoyed reading about the group and how their relationships changed and developed. Oooohhh!

The author must believe in torturing reader
Rebecca
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
It had been a while since I had read the first book in this series and it took me a while to remember all of the characters. However, once I got back into the flow of things, this was a satisfying continuation of The Water and the Wild. The beings and places were a solid continuation of Ormbee's skillful worldbuilding. In many way, the journey of a group of assorted characters reminded me of The Hobbit--only for younger children. I only wish this series had more readers. This would be 4 stars fo ...more
Cheryl
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am thoroughly enjoying this series. This is the 2nd book. I am very anxious for the next book to be released because I really need to know what happens next. I think she has great characters and I like the world she has built. I'm an adult so I would have to talk to a kid to see what they think but I think kids would like it. It may be scary for a very sensitive kid and you might want to wait until the next book comes out before you read this one.
Keara Brown
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Doorway and the Deep is about a girl named Lottie and her friends going to the Northerly Court where Rebel Gem lives (she is the ruler of the Northerly Court). Lottie's keen (a keen is basically a superpower inside you) is healing, but Lottie doesn't know she can hurt people to.

I would recommend this book to everyone I know especially to people who like magic and action in their books.
Madi
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing story! I would definitely recommend to people who loves fantasy series! The first book was more interesting, but barely! I couldn't put this book down once I started. It was amazing!
Valerie
4.5 out of 5 stars.

The Doorway and the Deep is the second installment in The Water and the Wild series by K.E. Ormsbee. It's a fantastic sequel to The Water and the Wild and even ends on a cliff-hanger to leave you wanting for more! I really enjoyed it!

As we return to the land of Limn, we find that Lottie, Eliot, Adelaide, Oliver, their father, and Fife residing in the land of the will-o-wisps. The land of the will-o-wisps is such a fabulous, imaginative place! It's one of my favorite locales in
Clare Doornbos
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, read The Water and the Wild. This is the second book in the series and it doesn't do any hand-holding exposition. There are plenty of plot reminders and characters are re-established, it's just subtle and takes a few chapters. Seriously, read the first one (which is awesome), it will be easier that way.

This series feels so classic and The Doorway and the Deep really digs into the high fantasy genre. The heroic quest, the mismatched band of adventurers, the burden of unsought power, magi
Liz
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway.
This is a wonderful book to give to your middle schooler. It has an imaginative plot that moves quickly and easily. The characters are well written and engaging. Lottie is especially attractive but the other characters are also interesting. The dialogue seems authentic and witty. The ending provides a real 'cliff-hanger'.
My only problem was that I had not read the previous book in this series and I had some trouble getting up to speed with the p
Kristen Grafton
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Once again, Ormsbee delights with a truly magical book. It was so exciting and comforting to start this book and once again join in on Lottie's adventures and hear the clever conversations between Oliver and Eliot, the bickering between Fife and Adelaide, and the stubbornness of the inner workings of the mind of Lottie Fiske. This book is magical from beginning to end. I never cease to be in awe of Ormsbee's command of the writing craft and I truly lose myself in every one of her books. I never ...more
Kara
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
A little slower than the first, but it was still really sweet and cute and awwwww at all the friendship. The world-building is excellent, but as I am not a fan of cliffhanger endings, I'm a little irritated at the way this one concluded. That said, I am in for the long haul.

Oh, and as cute as the new cover is, I am PISSSSSEEEDDDD at the cover change on this series. It hat the most unique cover ever for the first book. Chronicle, WHAT are you doing?
Patrina
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful sequel to The Water and the Wild. The scenery is vivid and the emotional angst between characters is heightened as one twist after another in their journey occurs. Spoiler alert: there is definitely a cliff hanger (literally!) ending to this book. I hope Ormsbee concludes Lottie's story in a final book.
Hannah Belyea
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lottie and her friends return in this epic sequel to the beautiful "Water and the Wild". As the dangers of Albion Isle close in, Ormsbee ramps up the magic and action. With new characters popping up at every corner, the line between allies and enemies blurring, and shadows reaching out for the Heir of Fiske, "The Doorway and the Deep" is sure to excite and surprise fans until the shocking end!
Cin
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This children's book is awesome. I actually love it even more than the first book - The Water and the Wild. Very interesting and exciting story. Likeable characters. I truly enjoyed reading this. Highly recommend.
I received a free ARC from Chronicle Books through the Goodread First Reads program. Thanks for sending me this book!
Inoli
Such a great adventure. I love this story; the characters, the writing, the story. This is why I read middle grade lit. I'm so anxious for the third book, there has to be a third book, and I can't find anything about how long I must wait. If anybody has seen anything about the next book please let me know.
Suzie Davis
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this sequel in the Water and the Wild series. Lottie is learning how to use her "keen" all while trying to save the Northerly's and Southerly's from destroying each other. The author did a great job of leaving me hanging for the the next book!
Anthonia
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Facing new problems Lottie is off on another adventure. She faces new challenges in this tale. War is coming to the magical world she has come to love and now she faces heading to the place where answers are and the truth behind her ability. A must read.
Timothy Nance
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Wow! Absolutely loved this book and its prequel. Cannot wait for more from Ormsbee!
Ms. Yingling
Copy from publisher. I do like the new covers better than the original, but I'll pass this along to another school. Not quite the right flavor of fantasy for my crowd.
Ann Valdez
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Do not read this as a stand-alone. It would have been so much better had I read the book before it.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
K.E. Ormsbee's Middle Grade debut, THE WATER AND THE WILD, is a fantasy published by Chronicle Books. Its sequel, THE DOORWAY AND THE DEEP, comes out October 4, 2016. Standalone fantasy THE HOUSE IN POPLAR WOOD publishes Fall 2018.

She also writes Young Adult novels as Kathryn Ormsbee. Her YA debut, LUCKY FEW, published with Simon & Schuster in Jun 2016, and her next YA, TASH HEARTS TOLSTOY, c

The Water and the Wild (3 books)
  • The Water and the Wild (The Water and the Wild, #1)
  • The Current and the Cure (The Water and the Wild, #3)