Start by marking “This Road We Traveled” as Want to Read:
This Road We Traveled

This Road We Traveled

Drama, Adventure, and Family Struggles Abound as Three Generations Head West on the Oregon Trail

When Tabitha Brown's son makes the fateful decision to leave Missouri and strike out for Oregon, she refuses to be left behind. Despite her son's concerns, Tabitha hires her own wagon to join the party. Along with her reluctant daughter and her ever-hopeful granddaughter, the in
Published September 6th 2016 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about This Road We Traveled, please sign up.
Asteropê Hello. I think you don't see it as a review like all the others because you posted your review/comments as a comment to your review - …moreHello. I think you don't see it as a review like all the others because you posted your review/comments as a comment to your review - https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
To have your review show up how you want it, you have to edit your review and copy/paste the text you have as a comment into the review text field and save it. It will than show up as a review.
See how this review looks: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... - with the text in the upper part, the area that on yours in blank? You need to copy/paste your comments and place then in that area.

Because you don't have the text as a review, your entry only shows up on page 5 (of reviews for this edition only) and only as a 5-star entry with no text. If you copy/paste the text into the proper area, it'll move it ahead a few pages and people can than read your thoughts on the book.

(less)

Diamond Jones
I love reading books based on the Oregon Trail so I was excited when I received this book early. Jane Kirkpatrick takes readers on a intriguing story with real characters. The things they went through during their journey was well described. I would recommend this book to anyone to read. You will be swept away and the story line of Tabitha Brown, her family, their Journey, struggles and a love and support for others she encounter.
Karen R
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Masterful storytelling breathes new life into the tale of real people and their contributions to Oregon's history! A must read for historical fiction fans who enjoy an inspirational story.
It was amazing what they went through and survived along the trail, beginning again with so little once they reached their destinations. In 1846 the Oregon trail was still fairly new, plus the existing threats of attack by both natives and the British made them question the existing route to the Willamette Va
Jesseca Wheaton
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
It took me a long while to finish this book. I couldn't seem to get into it, and the characters, for lack of a better word, annoyed me. And though the author may not have meant it, two of the three main characters came across as very feminist. It didn't seem to fit the era at all, and that just really bugged me. So maybe you can do it as good as the guys; you don't need to hold it over them! :P And yes, it IS okay to accept help!
The family relationships were also very strained and distant, which
Staci
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
This Road We Traveled is based upon the latter years of Tabita Brown. Tabitha lived in St. Charles, Missouri near her grown son and daughter. At the age of 66, she chose to travel by wagon and horseback to Oregon with her two children and their families.

While the story is primarily told from the perspective of Tabitha, the novel also offers the voices of her daughter Pherne and granddaughter Virgilia. I had a bit of trouble with the switching of points of view throughout the novel.

What I loved
Bonnye Reed
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
GNAB I received a free electronic copy of this historical novel from Netgalley, Jane Kirkpatrick, And Revell in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, for sharing your work with me.

Tabitha Brown - the real Tabitha Brown - is known as the "Mother of Oregon" for the extensive work she did with orphans and the homeless, as well as bringing education to the new citizens of the Territory of Oregon. Jane Kirkpatrick brings this woman to life for all of us.

Tabby Brown is a headstrong, elderly disa
Christy
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
I appreciate that Jane Kirkpatrick is creative enough to step outside of the normal Christian Historical Fiction genre and create memorable and clean family stories. Kirkpatrick makes her characters important without me ever knowing what color their hair is or hearing whispers of sweet dribble between two twenty year olds. Her writing is adventurous and unique for real qualities with real people of all ages and personally for me will stand the test of time on my reading shelf. I wish there were ...more
Shantelle
This Road We Traveled by Jane Kirkpatrick is a novel set during the 1840s, on a wagon train to Oregon.

I confess, I wasn't able to finish it. I read a good part of This Road We Traveled, but just wasn't feeling it. I couldn't get into the story. Perhaps it was the way it was written - maybe Jane Kirkpatrick's writing style just isn't for me. So I skimmed through the rest of the book to the end, and will do my best to write a book review. I'm not rating it, because I didn't read the book in its en
Kav
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jane Kirkpatrick writes fictional biography that draws on the real lives of courageous pioneer women. This time she takes us along the Oregon Trail with Tabitha Brown. The author`s detailed notes at the end of the book bear witness to the impeccable research that went into writing Tabitha`s story. It`s a raw and honest account of the woman who became known as "the mother of Oregon".

I am awestruck by Tabitha`s grit and determination. Headstrong, iron-willed. Faith-filled. And a heart for servic
Michelle
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just have to say that I adore this cover, it is stunning! As for the pages inside, they are equally as brilliant. Jane Kirkpatrick has such a talent for writing about past lives in our history. I love how she sets the scenes in this story and she did a wonderful job writing from three different perspectives. Unforgettable real life characters that I felt like I got to know. The pace moved good and I didn't feel like I was overwhelmed with fact. Overall very well done.

Jane's stories are very h
Katherine
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this story though I thought the writing seemed not as tight in the second half of the book. Filled with homespun wisdom and lots of thought-provoking quotes.
Theresa
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
“This Road We Traveled” tells the story of Tabitha and her family as they make their way across mountains, deserts and through forests to the west coast and a new life in Oregon.

Tabitha Brown’s son Orvus has come back home to Missouri from a trip to Oregon and he convinces the entire family to make the trip. Tabby, who is in her mid-sixties and needs a cane to walk, is discouraged from going along, but Tabby is not intimidated. She decides to hire a driver, purchase her own wagon and make the t
Julia
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This Road We Traveled by Jane Kirkpatrick is a Christian historical novel based on the life of pioneer Tabitha Moffat Brown. It is an epic read and one that I immersed myself in.
Set in the mid nineteenth century, Tabitha Moffat Brown's adventures began when aged sixty six, she set off on the trail west. The novel explores the dangers she faced but she always trusted in God's goodness and provision. "We will thrive on that cloud of faith... knowing that God is an unending source of hope, no matt
Connie
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A new book from Jane Kirkpatrick is a highly anticipated treasure in my world. I have followed Jane's writings for years and she absolutely NEVER fails to capture my heart with her characters. Her newest book, "This Road We Traveled" did not fail the test of anticipation.
One of the strengths I love most in her writing is her penchant for the history and authenticity of the story. Tabitha Moffat Brown's story became flesh in my imagination and I struggled through her journey with her. My faith w
Cheryl
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
I read A Light in the Wilderness and liked that that book was also focused on the Oregon Trail. A great piece of history that people should know about. Thus the reason I was looking forward to reading this book. Yet, something happened and I was less then enthralled to read this book. I tried really hard to stick with this book as I wanted to read more about the Oregon Trail; however, I just could not find myself gaining any type of human connection with any of the characters in this book. After ...more
Jill
Oct 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
I thought this was a really well written and well researched book. I loved the miltigenerational points of view. The female characters were strong but still feminine. I found the main male characters to be a little infuriating at times. The main part of the book took place on the Oregon trail. I learned a lot about this period of history and found it fascinating. Once the main characters settled down, I felt the story really slowed down, but it was still a very good read.

I received this book for
Judith Teggelaar
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have always enjoyed stories about the pioneers traveling to the old west, into the unknown, to make a new life for themselves. Jane Kirkpatrick is a master story teller of this genre. I am so glad that I found her books years ago. This one is a gem!
Joleen
This Road We Traveled by Jane Kirkpatrick, Donna Postel (Narrator)
Time frame: 1845-
Tabby Brown: Matriarch of the Brown family, widow, "Gramo" to grandchildren
Marantho, Pherne, and Orus: Tabby's adult children
Virgilia, Sarelia, Emma: Granddaughters
John Brown: Brother-in-law who wants to marry her
Nellie Blodgett: Young teen separated from parents who veered off course with the
Regina
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trials along the Oregon trail

What a powerful and gripping tale of one woman's boldness to follow her family into the wilderness to Oregon. Tabby Brown may be old and lame but she isn't weak, she's strong and determined with lots of grit. And add faith to her determination. Tabby blazes a trail for her family and begins quite new life in Oregon.
Haritha
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This Road We Traveled woke me up. It's centered around a woman in her 60s who chooses to take the treacherous trail to Oregon on her own money, in her own wagon. She is full of wisdom and good old fashioned stubbornness. While reading her story, I felt like I could do anything. I learned more about the Oregon Trail than I ever did playing the computer. A wonderful, inspiring book.
Becky
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading Jane Kirkpatrick's This Road We Traveled. This historical novel takes readers along on the Oregon Trail in 1846, but the heroine may defy your expectations: she's a grandmother. I think you'll agree that most heroines are younger and at a completely different stage in their lives. But Tabitha Brown, the heroine, was an incredible woman. Yes, This Road We Traveled is based on true people, true events. Tabitha Brown has been named "the Mother of Oregon."

When our heroine w
Christian Fiction Addiction
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Once again, Kirkpatrick has succeeded at bringing history to life in her latest historical fiction novel, "This Road We Traveled". It is hard to believe that this book is based on a true story, simply because I cannot imagine how a woman of Tabitha's age accomplished what she did, when I don't think I could have done that journey and I am half of her age! Tabitha is a woman that is truly inspirational to read about, a woman of faith and remarkable courage, someone who uses the headstrong nature ...more
Lenora Good
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Legalities: I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Jane Kirkpatrick is the only Christian author I've found, whose books I consistently pick up, read, and enjoy. Normally her books are, for me, one-sit reads. I'm not sure why this one was easier to put down and wait a while before picking up again. Which does not detract from the story, just an observation. Sometimes it's nice to have a book one can read a chapter or two at a time, put it down for work, or sleep, and p
Rachael
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the unique perspective of the story, told by mother, daughter, and granddaughter, though I wouldn't normally choose it. Tabby, Pherne, and Virgilia each have a very different outlook on life: Tabby, the old woman, wholly in the present, taking each day as it comes. Pherne, the middle-aged mother, looking back and grieving what was left behind. And Virgilia, the young woman looking to the future.

There's a lot of food for thought in the story. When one thinks of the Oregon Trail, the har
A.M. Heath
Sep 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: smbc-finished
From page one, This Road We Traveled promises to be a novel jam-packed with history and I believe it more than delivered. There was rich detail sprinkled throughout the pages. Another superb treat was the amount of sound wisdom offered up. The type of wisdom you would expect to find in an older lady’s memoir. I found several quotes to ponder on even after the book was closed.
Unfortunately, I struggled with actual story-telling. I started off connected and intrigued by the futures of these three
Michelle
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of historical fiction
Recommended to Michelle by: Revell

`This Road We Traveled` is a well researched historical fiction novel, written by author Jane Kirkpatrick. Jane Kirkpatrick is known for her lively presentations and well-researched stories that encourage and inspire readers. You can read more about her at www.jkbooks.com

This is a wonderful novel that includes a list of the characters and a map of the Oregon and California trails at the beginning of the novel, and an in-depth interview at the back. There are also discussion questions which mak
Maya B
Sep 19, 2016 added it
Shelves: historical, dnf
DNF. I love to read books about the Oregon trail/ and or Midwest. The first chapter had my attention and then the story fell flat. I struggled up through the midway point and then I decided I could not read any further. I had no attachment to Tabitha Brown. I just did not find her life story to be fascinating at all.
Christina
I did not enjoy this book at all! The plot was slow going and there was far more sadness throughout than I expected. I thought this would be a light hearted adventure of three generations of women but I was sorely mistaken.
Amy
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Road We Traveled is a good read. It just took awhile to get into but once it ended, I didn't want to put it down.
4 stars
Kami S
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you are fascinated with the people who left their comfortable homes to trek across miles of unknown land, then you will enjoy this book. Based on the real life story of Tabby Brown and her family, following their decision and travels, hardships and trials to a new, "better" land. It never ceases to amaze me how many men were "called" to claim and settle new lands... and their wives and children, of course, will go along... some never making it, others suffering hardships we can't even begin t ...more
Beth
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
The strength of this book really is the realities it shows in depicting the hardships and starkness of the Oregon Trail and the dire situation that families could experience. The book also clearly shows the status of women during this time period. The historical references to the Donner party, Mexican War, California Trail and the research of Catherine Pringle really make this book great historical fiction.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 02, 2016 10:52AM

• The Road to Paradise (Vintage National Parks, #1)
  • As Love Blooms (The Gregory Sisters, #3)
  • Saffire
  • The Christmas Prayer
  • Annie’s Stories (Ellis Island, #2)
  • An Hour Unspent (Shadows Over England, #3)
  • A Refuge Assured
  • Courting Carrie in Wonderland
  • A Flying Affair
  • The Newcomer (Amish Beginnings #2)
  • Where Treetops Glisten: Three Stories of Heartwarming Courage and Christmas Romance During World War II
  • The Innocent (Shaker, #6)
  • Saving Jackie K
  • Heartbreak Trail (Circle C Milestones #2)
  • Naomi's Hope (Journey to Pleasant Prairie #3)
  • Dandelions on the Wind (Quilted Hearts, #1)
  • Feast for Thieves: A Rowdy Slater Novel
  • An Uncommon Protector (Lone Star Hero, #2)
Kirkpatrick brings us a story of one woman's restoration from personal grief to the meaning of community."
“And there it is, my greatest challenge: to face the uncertainty of each day, trusting that there will be enough—enough to meet our needs and enough to give away.” 9 likes
Give my effort to the present, let God handle the future. 2 likes