Start by marking “The Bear Who Couldn't Sleep” as Want to Read:

The Bear Who Couldn't Sleep

There s no place like home when it s time for bed. When Bear can t sleep, he goes on an adventure and discovers the wonders of New York City a parade, Central Park, hot dogs, and more! But when he finally gets tired and looks for a place to rest . . . he learns why it s called the city that never sleeps. What s a bear to do? Caroline Nastro s gentle adventure and Vanya Nas ...more
Published October 1st 2016 by NorthSouth Books

To ask other readers questions about The Bear Who Couldn't Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bear Who Couldn't Sleep

Sandra
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's winter and despite his mother and brothers sleep, Bear can't sleep. He watches the leaves fall, and the snow to cover everything, but he still can't sleep. He decides to look for someone to make him company, but all his neighbors are sleeping too. He walks, and walks until he arrives to the city that never sleeps, and that's is exactly what he needs! He visits museums and famous landscapes. He meets people and eats delicious food. He also gets sleepy... So he tries to sleep in a bus stop be ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY)
RATING: 4 STARS
(Review Not on Blog)

A little bear cannot sleep so he goes on a little adventure till he gets to tired and finds his way back home. This was a cute story for bedtime. The illustrations are great!
Tullan Holmqvist
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delightful and sweet goodnight book with beautiful illustrations. I love reading this book to my kids and they love it too!
Izabella (Pages Full of Stars)
"There's no place like home when it's time for bed!"

The Bear Who Couldn't Sleep by Caroline Nastro is a charming little book, which I'm sure will appeal to all children!

It tells us a story about a little bear who, unlike his family, just couldn't fall asleep for the winter. So he left the safety of his home and went on an adventure! As he wanders into the big city and discovers its many attraction, the bear begins to finally, slowly feel sleepy...

The Bear Who Couldn't Sleep has all that I lov
Katie Harder-schauer
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is a fun story about a young bear who has trouble hibernating in the winter, so he takes a trip to the Big Apple and sees all the sights. But then he starts to get sleepy. This kind of sends the wrong message to children (that when you can't sleep it's totally okay to get up and do whatever you want until you're tired. Only adults are allowed to do that!) but I still thought it was a fun story nonetheless. And
Ann
May 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, books-reviewed
Essentially, this book tells the story of a little bear who finds himself unable to sleep and wanders off in the night into the city. While this could have been an entertaining little story, the author failed to build any tension or drama. Despite the fact that many things could go wrong while the bear was in the city, nothing much happened. The worst was that he was told he could not sleep in Central Park...after which point he simply went home. Story aside, the illustrations were okay, but fel ...more
Jo
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
by Caroline Nastro
There s no place like home when it's time for bed. When Bear can t sleep, he goes on an adventure and discovers the wonders of New York City a parade, Central Park, hot dogs, and more! But when he finally gets tired and looks for a place to rest . . . he learns why it s called the city that never sleeps. What s a bear to do? Caroline Nastro s gentle adventure and Vanya Nastanlieva s engaging illustrations are sure to comfort and delight!

Review
This is
Leslie
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a cute little read about a bear who couldn't go to sleep, and so he travels around New York City and discovers all the different wonders that the city has to offer!

As someone who's a big fan of children's books and as well as middle grade, I myself was interested in this book. But I made sure to read it with my 5 year old brother, who I knew would enjoy this even more.

Needless to say, he enjoyed it very much. He thought the illustration and the little bear himself was adorable. He even
April
A cozy little book about an adorable bear who just cannot fall asleep when it is time to hibernate with the rest of his bear family. The little bear wanders off until he comes across a city -- New York City, that is -- and has some grand adventures at some very iconic NYC attractions. A lover of all things New York, winter, and cute bears (can you tell I'm a midwesterner?), this sweet story felt right at home to me. A perfect little read to curl up together with your little one, or read during a ...more
Valleri
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this sweet story about a curious bear who couldn't sleep even in the winter. He decided to venture into the City That Never Sleeps, into the Macy's Day Parade, and eventually back again, exhausted, to his den until he finally drifted off to sleep right back where he began.
pati
Trying to get to sleep can be a real problem, especially if you decide to explore NYC before crawling back into bed!
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
The Bear who Couldn’t Sleep By Caroline Nastro and Illustrated by Vanya Nastanlieva. PICTURE BOOK. North South. 2016. $10. 9780735843332

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) – NO

AUDIENCE APPEAL: LOW

A little bear doesn’t want to hibernate so he takes a journey. He discovers New York City, the city that never sleeps. He has fun exploring the various tourist attractions, so much fun that he finds himself getting sleepy.

This is a fun book if you want to highlight New York City. The illustrations are cute (excep
Donna Mork
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bear couldn't sleep, so he takes a walk. All his friends are asleep so he is bored. Goes to the city. There was so much to do. He visits the Statue of Liberty, the opera, and a parade. He goes all around and does everything, but now he is getting really sleepy. He can't find anywhere to sleep that he doesn't get disturbed. So he leaves the busy city behind him and goes back home and goes to sleep.
Jasper
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a story about a bear who can't sleep when all his friends are asleep, maybe even hibernating for the winter. So he wanders to New York City where it's busy, full of adventures and yet no good places to sleep.

One of the fun things in the book is that there is a bird following the bear on all his adventures. So it's fun to find the bird on every page. Unfortunately, the bird does not get a speaking role. So we're not sure why bird is there, if bird also can't sleep, or even wants to be in
Stephanie
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great book with beautiful illustrations.
Miss Sarah
A young bear doesn't want to go to sleep for the winter, so instead he explores the city. Can he find a place to sleep? Cute. Preschool and up
Lynda
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Adventure along with a little bear (unable to hibernate with his family) as he travels to the “city that never sleeps” NYC.
Michael
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute. And enforcing my son's strongly encouraged love of New York City!
Juliana Lee
Little Bear couldn't sleep, so he left his home where his mother and brothers were sleeping and walked into the city that never sleeps. He had great adventures. Eventually he became sleepy, but couldn't find a place to rest in such a busy city. So he walked and walked until he got back home and went to sleep with his mother and brothers.
Juana
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Chacha Centeno
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
The text sometimes has an odd layout, use of whitespace would have made it easier to see the font. Despite being in New York, the characters show little diversity. An adorable story, I just wish it was, more.
Crazy4Books
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I thought this book was adorable and the illustrations tell as much of a story as the writing itself. The writing was pretty short but its perfect for babies. For my toddler I look for books with just a bit more writing to them. In my opinion there wasnt much of a moral to the story which is usually what I look for before purchasing a childrens book but I thought the illustrations were cute.
Marylou
A bear wanders NY trying to find a place to sleep. That is quite hard and he returns to his family and sleeps at last. Nice illustrations - would make a lovely bedtime story!

50 Book ReviewsProfessional Reader80%Reviews Published2016 NetGalley ChallengeChallenge Participant
Pop Bop
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Finding A Cozy Spot in a City That Never Sleeps

When it comes to mellow bedtime books my questions are - is the hero appealing and drawn in a friendly and relatable style, does the story make sense without veering into weird territory, are the illustrations and colors calm and yet attention holding? Well, this book scores high marks across the board.

Our cuddly hero goes on a New York City walkabout before getting drowsy enough to head home to bed. The joke is that New York is the city that never
Whispering Stories
‘The Bear Who Couldn’t Sleep’ is an enchanting children’s story, filled with wondrous illustrations by Vanya Nastanlieva.

The book centres around a little bear cub who just can’t sleep. It’s winter time and he should be hibernating, just like his mum and brothers, but bear just can’t seem to be able to fall asleep.

As he is wide awake, he decides to venture out of the family den and see if he can find someone awake to talk to. He soon realises that all of his neighbours are fast asleep too. He sta
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What can I say? It is a lovely bedtime book for toddlers and preschoolers. It is only 36 pages and just the right size and provides some excitement, while slowly winding down towards the end. The mood is perfect for a kid who should be going to sleep.

It is the story of a bear called Bear who should be hibernating with his family during winter but suffers from insomnia. So after being restless for a while, he leaves with his cute pyjama and little white pillow, and after a while reaches a large
Carolyn Injoy
The Bear Who Couldn't Sleep by Caroline Nastro The Bear Who Couldn't Sleep by Caroline Nastro (Author) & Vanya Nastanlieva (Illustrator) is a charming & engaging children's book for ages four to eight years.

The bear who couldn't sleep during the winter first attempted to visit his neighbors but they were all sleeping. He kept walking & arrived in New York City. He loved the city that never sleeps. Then he got very tired but couldn't find a quiet, undisturbed place to sleep. So he wa
Priya Prithviraj
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The story is pretty simple. But the picture that it paints, of New York as the city that never sleeps, is highly engaging. The hand drawn illustrations by Vanya Nastanlieva are not just beautiful but very well detailed too. I would definitely recommend this book as a great bedtime read for preschoolers, especially the ones who like the little bear cannot sleep at night. The Bear Who Couldn't Sleep, with its huge and colourful illustrations will also be a beautiful addition to the little one's bo ...more
Kid Lit Reviews
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, 2016-reviews
Winter. Snowy woods and sleeping animals . . . all but one. Little Bear cannot sleep. While his family hibernates, Little Bear—pillow in hand—goes for a walk, hoping to find a friend, but everyone in the forest is asleep. He keeps walking through the woods until he come to the city. There he falls in line with a parade, explores the zoo in Central Park, visits the Statue of Liberty, and then a couple of well-known museums.

The Bear Who Couldn’t Sleep is a beautifully illustrated story, mostly in
Mel
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents, Early Childhood Educators, Early Elementary Teachers, and Elementary Media Specialists
Thank You NetGalley and North South Books Inc. for allowing me to review this book.
I really enjoyed this book. Who hasn’t had a small child that wouldn’t fall asleep at some point? I loved the illustrations. My boys loved following little bear on the adventures he took instead of hibernating with his family.
(view spoiler)