Start by marking “Oil Spill!” as Want to Read:
Oil Spill!

Oil Spill! (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  96 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Did you know that an oil spill occurs somewhere in the world almost every day of the year? Berger and Mirocha focus on one of the worst spills in historythe 1989 Exxon Valdez oil tanker spillto explain in simple terms and with bold, full color illustrations why oils spills happen, how experts clean up after them, and what effect spilled oil has on ocean plants and wildlife ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Houghton Mifflin (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Oil Spill!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oil Spill!

Kaitlin Martin
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Thirty years later, and it's still an eye-opener.
Kate Hendrie
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a great resource to use when teaching about marine life and taking care of our ecosystems. It helps readers understand the need to be aware of our environment and what is going on in it. I would use this with students by asking them what they know about oil spills and relating it to the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico in 2010.

Oil Spill! explains the 1989 oil spill that occurred near Alaska. It shows the effects on the sea animals and how the spill was dealt with. At the end there is a se
Canadian Reader
This book begins with a brief discussion of the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill--without going into the apparent drunkenness of the tanker's captain. It talks about the impact of the oil on marine wildlife: birds, mammals, and fish. A considerable amount of time is spent on the methods of "cleaning up" spills--from skimmers, booms, absorbent materials, and hosing, to poisonous chemicals. The author suggests that children write letters to Congress, and that they use less electricity (often produced b ...more
Jessica Lane
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Oil Spill! by Melvin Berger is a nonfiction book about the damage caused by oil spills. It also highlights ways scientists clean up both small and large oil spills. It also has a section telling kids how to help reduce the usage of oil, indirectly reducing the amount of oil spills.

This was a really great nonfiction picture book. It used similes and imagery that children would be able to understand. Children would learn so much from this book. I definitely did! I had no idea that there is at leas
This book is about one of the worst oil spills, Exxon Valdez. It explains in simple terms why oils spills happen, how experts clean up after them, what effects oil has on ocean plants and wildlife, and what we can do to prevent oil spills. This book includes several colorful illustrations and can be used to start a class discussion about the topic. At the end of the book, a student writes the senator a letter about her concerns towards oil spills. Having a class discussion requires students to l ...more
Haley Shade
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was so cute and heart breaking all in one. Oil Spill is a great way to inform young kids about what oil spills are and how they can affect animals living in the ocean. It is something that is important for children to know about because it is something that happens and when it does happen, they can help out in any way they can. When they have knowledge about Oil Spills, they might grow a desire or passion to help out the animals that are affected by it who live in the ocean. I loved th ...more
Samantha Wilson
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I chose this book for my earth and space science. The grade level for this book would be kindergarten to 2nd grade, this book is a picture book that tells what happened when Oil spilled in Alaska's water. This book would book would be good for a science class or even a geography class. I do not think there are any real content concerns with this book.

This book is about the oil spill that happened off of the coast of Alaska. It explains what happened, who was harmed by the oil spill, and what all
Scott Houston
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book to read with my third grade students this semester. It was an interesting way to introduce the idea of taking care of an environment. As we read the story the students were empathetic and concerned for the animals who got sick or covered in oil, and they were surprised to find how frequently oil is spilled in the oceans. I also compared taking care of the Earth to taking care of a classroom and keeping it neat. By comparing oil spilled in the ocean to trash on the floor, it ...more
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book clearly explains for kids what oil spills are and the various strategies and equipment used to contain and clean them up. The book ends with an example of how to write to a senator and request greater regulation of oil tankers and better preparation for preventing spills. My first graders were very interested in the information though they have yet to hear about real oil spills as they happen.
Katie Williams
This book is about pollution and how it can affect animals and ecosystems all over the world. A great book to reference when teaching children about environments and ecosystems. The teacher could bring in a sample of a lake or pond nearby and have students compare and contrast the look, feel, and smell of the sample tap and/or bottled water. What happens if we strain or boil it? What would happen to animals who live in or drink the water?
Oct 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
I read this with my 6 year old son, it starts off with the mess created by the Exxon Valdez. It shows the damage done to the water, plants and animals. It gives ideas as to how we can reduce our use of oil.

An educational book made interesting enough to hold my sons attention and gave us some starting points to some interesting discussions.
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was a book full of great information about oil spills and the effects it can have. It teaches children what they can do to try and help oil spills happen less often. I really liked the illustrations in this story and think its a great way to teach students about something they may not know is going on or happening in the world around them.
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
As an adult I really enjoyed reading this book. I learned so much about oil spills that I previously didn't know. I highly suggest this book! I am very excite that all my students K-6th grade will be reading it :)

Interesting fact from the book: oil spill occurs somewhere in the world almost every day of the year
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book takes an important topic, and presents it in a friendly way. The way the book is written encourages children to be interested in taking action. I also think the illustrations do a great job of depicting the issue.
Jillian Warren
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
An informational text about an oil spill that happened in 1989. It explains how they happen, how they are fixed and how they can be prevented. Can inspire a lot of discussion and environmental lessons.
Jun 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read this to my class in November. Seems to be quite the omen now.
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Comprehensive look at the Exxon Valdez oil spill of 1989 and the general effects of oil spills on our environment. Detailed illustrations and instructive diagrams are included.
Deborah Harris

Lauren White
Good for grades 2-6
Leila Useini
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
it was a really good book and the structure of it was also great!!!
Jan 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: pollution
This book is very educational. It contains a lot of facts about oil spills and how they happen. It also teaches students how to prevent oil spills in their future.
Mar 14, 2014 marked it as to-read
this book is great
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I like it when the guys put the boom over the oil so that animals don't get oil on them.
May 17, 2011
Jul 03, 2014
Jul 21, 2017
Oct 21, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
BP Holdings: BP führt neues Betrugsvorwürfen in verschütten Siedlung 2 2 Aug 07, 2013 12:29AM
  • What Makes Day and Night
  • From Caterpillar to Butterfly
  • What Is the World Made Of?: All About Solids, Liquids, and Gases
  • Animals in Winter (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science. Stage 1)
  • Surprising Sharks (Boston Globe-Horn Book Honors (Awards))
  • The Skeleton Inside You
  • A Tree Is a Plant (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Hungry, Hungry Sharks!
  • Fossils Tell of Long Ago
  • Weird but True! 2: 300 Outrageous Facts (Weird But True, #2)
  • Bugs Are Insects
  • Shark Lady: True Adventures of Eugenie Clark
  • A River Ran Wild: An Environmental History
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • Where Does the Garbage Go?
  • Mama Miti: Wangari Maathai and the Trees of Kenya

Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2 (1 - 10 of 83 books)
  • A Drop of Blood
  • Germs Make Me Sick!
  • Hear Your Heart
  • The Skeleton Inside You
  • What Happens to a Hamburger?
  • Why I Sneeze, Shiver, Hiccup,  Yawn