Start by marking “Maya Angelou (Little People, Big Dreams)” as Want to Read:
Maya Angelou (Little People, Big Dreams)

Maya Angelou

(Pequeña & GRANDE)

In the Little People, Big Dreams series, discover the lives of outstanding people from designers and artists to scientists. All of them went on to achieve incredible things, yet all of them began life as a little child with a dream. The book follows Maya Angelou, from her early traumatic childhood to her time as a singer, actress, civil rights campaigner and, eventually, ...more
Published August 9th 2016 by Frances Lincoln Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Maya Angelou, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maya Angelou

Start your review of Maya Angelou (Little People, Big Dreams)
Hilary
May 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I wouldn't recommend to the target age group.
Recommended to Hilary by: Found on the library
I rated this 2 stars as I didn't feel the book was suited to it's target age group. I didn't know much about Maya Angelou's life before I read this. I have mixed feelings about this series. On one hand they make good starter books on each subject. On the other hand, because they are aimed at the very young lots of details are left out as these would understandably be unsuitable for the very young. Obviously no 2 or 3 yr old wants to hear about hunger strike, cat and mouse, or suicide as a bed ...more
Manybooks
Albeit that in this here instalment of the Little People, Big Dreams series, while in Lisbeth Kaiser's Maya Angelou, I have actually and surprisingly for me visually rather enjoyed the accompanying illustrations (with Leire Salaberria's pictures, although still a bit too one dimensional and cartoon-like for my general aesthetics, at least being rendered mostly realistic with regard to period accuracy, proportions and facial features), I still cannot and will not grant more than two stars maximum ...more
leynes
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Apart from reading a short biography about Frida Kahlo, I also read one about Maya Angelou. So far, I've read a chapter of her highly acclaimed fictionalized autobiography I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, but something has kept me from seeking out the whole novel, propably the thought of reading about the horrible things she had to go through as a child and young adult. Therefore, this more lighthearted apporach of a children's book suited me extremely well.

Knowing what I already did know about
Kaitlin
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it
* I was sent this for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review *

This series aims to inform children about some interesting people who had big dreams and show them that these dreams can be achieved if you try. This particular book focuses on Maya Angelou and I myself didn't know much about Maya before reading this so it was an excellent start point which would be easy for a child to understand.

These books are also all illustrated with lovely artwork and full page spreads. The
TheVampireBookworm
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so charming!
I must mention "Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls" as a comparison because that's the only other book of this genre I own and because the idea of the book is the same. I had a big problem with Good Night when it came to language because it was so pretentious and not suitable for the target group. Writing simple sentences with a difficult word here and there just doesn't work for anybody. Not in the way it was put there.
Here, however, the language is perfect for little
Katie
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
such a beautiful little book - wonderful illustrations and i love that these non fiction children’s books about strong women exist.
Chanel
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book so much that I plan to have it in my future classroom. This book is a very age-appropriate biography for young children to understand and to gain knowledge about the great Maya Angelou. The illustrations were very colorful and I think that they are a good depiction for children. The illustrations are accurate to the plot and correspond with the text. The characters in the illustrations represent a variety individuals in various cultures. No negative stereotypes were ...more
winda
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love biographical illustration :)

Maya Angelou had a dark experience in the past but she believed that "There's nothing she can't be" therefore she had achieve a bright future as a dancer, singer, actress, writer, director, journalist, playwright, producer, teacher and activist for civil right
Stacie
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Knowing Maya Angelou's life so well through her own books, I have to say the author captured the highs and lows in a way that is honest, inspired and kid-friendly. Another very good book in this series.
Lindsey
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a great series of biographies for younger readers! Beautiful illustrations also!
Annie
Aug 01, 2016 rated it liked it
I love that this is an illustrated biography of such a remarkable woman. However, by simplifying the genre, it sacrifices depth. I know very little about Maya after reading this, unfortunately.
Quinn Rollins
I love this entire series of picture book biographies about notable women -- they go beyond the traditional five women every kid learns about in history classes and into women who have achievements across various fields. Each of these has been excellent.
Vicki
I want to love it, I feel like I should love it, but the fact is her life story isn't for babies and it irks me every time the book says "she wasn't treated kindly" when what they mean is racism or "she didn't talk much" when what they mean is after she was raped at age 8 she stopped talking for years.

Like, obviously I don't want to read that book to my 9 month old either, but every time I read this book I'm just bothered by the shallowness of the story.
Chelsea
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, 2017
I've always been interested in reading works by Maya Angelou, her incredible reputation definitely precedes her, but so far I haven't committed to any one piece she's written. Surprisingly it was this simple, cutely illustrated book written for children about her amazing life that has stirred my heart yet again to seek out her work. I've read a couple of these children's books now and love how they spark the imagination and desire to learn more while showing kids that they truly can succeed at ...more
Samantha
An introduction to an important person written at a level that is especially appealing to preschoolers/beginning readers. I like the way Angelou's achievements are laid out and that the hard facts of her life aren't overlooked, but I was looking for a little more information about her hardships in the back matter as the write up that supports the timeline reads very similarly to the text.

The back matter also includes a recommended reading list, which is aimed at the same reading level as the
Esutterlin
My reaction was mixed. I was glad to see a positive book for younger children about this famous woman, author, poet, entertainer, and recognize it needed to be simplified for the preschool or young primary grades reader. However, the people in the illustrations all looked like too well-rounded and more like homogenized caricatures to me, somehow not seeming authentic as I read it. This is more of a gut reaction than having tested it on any audience or reader.
Shahd Rdawi
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love the coloring of this children books’ series ..
Megan Schmelzer
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Open Book Reviews by Megan Schmelzer
www.openbookreviews.org

While wandering around Barnes and Noble, I stumbled across this awesome new board book series for babies and toddlers. The vibrant, yet simple, covers displaying historical women that I have grown up learning caught my eye, and it instantly drew me to pick up a few of these books off the shelves.

To be totally honest, I was so intrigued by these books that I ended up sitting right down in the aisle of the store to explore this new
Ben Truong
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maya Angelou is book in the Little People, Big Dreams series and is a children's picture book written by Lisbeth Kaiser and illustrated by Leire Salaberria. It is a cursory biography of Maya Angelou from her childhood in Arkansas to her rediscovery of her love for reading and writing to become one of the world's most beloved writers and speakers.

March, at least in my part of the world is Women's History Month, which I plan to read one children's book, particularly a biography, which pertains to
Braelyn Carwile
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rdng-350
Maya Angelou is a biography illustrating the life and accomplishments of Maya Angelou. It demonstrates her childhood, her early career of being a performer, her activism, and her roles as an author.
I enjoyed this book a lot. I have been reading all the ones in the Little People, Big Dreams recently, and I have really enjoyed them. I like the illustrations and the words are easy to follow but some have some words that could be difficult for early readers. I also enjoy how this book, like the
Joanne
Originally posted on Jo's Scribbles.

The Little People, Big Dreams series from Frances Lincoln is a series telling the stories of well known women, and the dreams they had as children, showing that children can one day achieve their dreams, no matter what they might be. They cover the hardships these women faced, but keep the stories appropriate for the readership. Each story also includes a short biography with photographs of the women.

Maya Angelou's story covers the racism and sexism she
Portable
This biography of the life of writer Maya Angelou comes from one of the Little People, Big Dreams series and comes recommended from the Mighty Girls website. The illustrations are vivid and inspiring. Maya's story is great for discussions on diversity, being different and overcoming challenges - aimed at slightly older than kindergarten age, though the language is simple enough that our K2 students will understand as a read aloud, and they love the illustrations. *Please note, this book does ...more
Oak Lawn Public Library - Youth Services
Title: Maya Angelou (Little People, Big Dreams series)
Author: Lisbeth Kaiser
Pages: 32
Lexile Level: N/A
Summary: Maya Angelou lived a difficult life. Born in Missouri in 1928, Maya endured a lot of unfairness because of the color of her skin. Even though she faced many challenges in her life, she overcame them and because a famous writer, activist, and speaker.
Recommended for: This book is a wonderful introduction to Maya Angelou. Great for younger readers and listeners. On a personal note, if
Graceann
This is an ideal read-a-long book to introduce young readers to the wonder that was Maya Angelou. The prose is accessible without being babyish, and subjects that would be difficult to explain to little ones, such as the assault that Maya suffered as a little girl, are handled with tact and grace. She is presented as she should be: gifted, gutsy, and inspirational.

The illustrations are crisp and gorgeous, and the whole book is a treat for the eyes, as well as the mind. Highly recommended to
Kaylee
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: dr-smiths-class
this book was about a little girl named Maya Angelou and how she became who she is.

I did not like this one as much because it does not give lots of details about her life. It is a very straight forward book and i wish it had more detail.

I would use this to talk about diversity and how to fulfill your dreams. using her as an example of doing what you want and love to do not matter what comes your way would be nice. having the kids read about her and then do an exercise of what they want to be and
Auro Books
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is beautiful.

Beautiful - although hard - story. Beautiful how everything turned up for her in the end and beautiful art work!

I love this series because they just not only tell us about these amazing people's life but also teach us that we can, pretty much, do anything we want if we work hard enough for it.

Maya had it very difficult but she fought very hard and succeed, showing everybody that work always pays off. I am glad to now know that she became such a big influence.

Absolutely
Annie Bates
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
RLL22018_Jorge Ortiz
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was really good. It was very vividly written and honest. The pictures in the book were drawn very detailed and colorful making it catchy to the eye. It also makes you analyze the pictures instead of just skimming it. I never really knew much of Maya Angelou, but had heard of her a lot. I feel this is a good basic but very informational book that is simple for children to follow. Primary grades. It teaches student's to pursue dreams no matter the obstacles. I also love that at the end ...more
My Crafty Zoo
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This book is absolutely adorable and perfect for little children to begin learning about such a wonderful, accomplished woman! The illustrations are simple yet adorable. It's a definitely must have for every little girl!

You can read the full review on my website if you'd like. I did receive this book for free, in exchange for the review on my website. However, adding it here because I truly enjoyed the book.
Rich Farrell
I thought this was a good primer to Angelou’s life for young readers who may otherwise not be introduced to her work until later in life. I’m a little curious about the other reviews that seem to be divided on this text. I think it’s easy enough to read between the lines, which makes this story work for both young and mature audiences. Is it a definitive biography? Of course not. That’s not what this series aims to do. Is it effective? I believe so, but I’m also not the target audience.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Ada Lovelace (Little People, Big Dreams, #10)
  • Ella Fitzgerald (Pequeña & GRANDE, #7)
  • Stephen Hawking (Pequeño & GRANDE, #2)
  • Georgia O'Keeffe (Pequeña & Grande, #12)
  • Maria Montessori
  • David Bowie (Little People, BIG DREAMS)
  • Dolly Parton
  • Muhammad Ali (Pequeño & GRANDE, #1)
  • Bruce Lee
  • Little People, BIG DREAMS: Emmeline Pankhurst Book and Paper Doll Gift Edition Set
  • Zaha Hadid
  • I Am Rosa Parks
  • I am Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • Josephine Baker (Little People, Big Dreams)
  • I am Sacagawea
  • The Crayon Man: the True Story of the Invention of Crayola Crayons
  • Mary Shelley
  • Wilma Rudolph

Pequeña & GRANDE (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Coco Chanel (Little People, Big Dreams, #1)
  • Frida Kahlo (Little People, Big Dreams, #2)
  • Audrey Hepburn (Pequeña & GRANDE, #3)
  • Amelia Earhart
  • Agatha Christie (Pequeña & GRANDE, #5)
  • Marie Curie (Little People, Big Dreams, #6)
  • Ella Fitzgerald (Pequeña & GRANDE, #7)
  • Dian Fossey (Pequeña & GRANDE, #8)
  • Gloria Fuertes (Pequeña & GRANDE, #9)
  • Ada Lovelace (Little People, Big Dreams, #10)