Start by marking “Limbo” as Want to Read:
Limbo

Limbo (Limbo #1-6)

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  278 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
A detective with no memory, no identity, and no manners. A femme fatale seeking escape from a powerful crime lord. A voodoo queen with a penchant for mixtapes and hi-tops. A goat-eating TV... A surreal neon-noir fusing hardboiled pulp with an 80s VHS visual aesthetic, dripping with neon and static. Collecting issues 1 through 6. Writer Dan Watters and artist Caspar Wijngaa ...more
Published June 7th 2016 by Image Comics (first published June 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Limbo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Limbo

Ronyell
Limbo

I would like to thank NetGalley and Image Comics for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Introduction:

Since I am on the roll when it comes to reading books from NetGalley, I have picked up another graphic novel that sounds pretty interesting called “Limbo Volume One” which is written by Dan Watters along with artwork by Caspar Wijngaard.

What is this story about?

Welcome to the world of Dedande City, where reality and technology becomes blended into one univer
Rory Wilding
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it
There have been many comics that have asked the question of what happens to us when we die, whether it is Neil Gaiman's The Sandman or something as recent like Mark Millar and Greg Capullo's Reborn. In the case of this peculiar Image title by writer Dan Watters and Caspar Wijngaard, it adds a new spin on the theological concept of Limbo, also known as Purgatory.

In the unique world of Dedande City, where the line between biology and analogue technology becomes blurred and minor deities lie coile
Cynthia Corral
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a difficult one to review, for me. This book compiles issues #1-#6, none of which I had read before.

Issue #1 had me interested. There were mysteries galore, a scary alternate universe, a few really intriguing characters, and a teleshaman (you'll have to read it). We're into the action quite quickly as Clay tries to remember who he is and also bring down some powerful, magical drug lords, all as Dia de los Muertos is going on in the streets.

What follows is some weird combination of Jason
Kaleb
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow, this was crazy good! Considering the premise, a grizzly PI with a dark past, I was expecting the plot to be pretty by the numbers. I'm glad to say I was proven wrong. The plot itself is pretty engaging with some sharp twists, not to mention a jaw dropping ending. Add the gorgeous artwork into the mix and you've got yourself a dope comic.
Hey, I can take graphic graphic-novels, so to speak. But, if I am going to have violence, I need there to be some meaning behind them.

This is the story of a detective who has lost his memory, in a setting not unlike New Orleans, but with weird creatures and videos that make reality, and...honestly, I had no idea what was going on half the time, and after a while I didn't really care.

So, sure, have fun with this one. Interesting art work. Confusing as hell, and I still don't know what happened in
Dan
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this from Netgalley for a fair and honest review.
This was so weird and good. The art was fantastic and the mystery of what's going on. Perfect mix of 80s pop culture and voodoo mysticism. When it was revealed what was really happening I was shocked and loved it. Great read. Another good Image comic.
mkhare
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Gorgeous art and colours, and fun and innovative panelling. The idea for the story was intriguing, but ultimately didn't have a lot of impact on me. That being said, as soon as I had finished reading Limbo, I felt compelled to read it over again to let the nuanced nature of the story and art soak a little deeper into my mind. 'Be kind, rewind' definitely applies here, in more ways than one.
Alex Sarll
A private eye story filtered through analogue existentialism in the strange town of Dedande, a sort of eighties New Orleans turned up to 11. Clay has no memory of who he is or how he got there when he's hired to investigate a crime lord in a luchador mask. His landlady knows that the best thing to offer a loa is a really good mixtape. The preferred local fast food is lizard on a stick. I don't know any of the creators, and read this principally because I'll look at any recent Image debut that tu ...more
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
I received this book for free from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed this. There was a lot of mystery and discoveries to be made. The story definitely kept my attention at the beginning, but petered off a bit towards the end. The artwork is gorgeous. I adore the coloring. I really liked the concept of this story. It is very interesting. I didn't personally care for the ending. It didn't have the bang that I was anticipating. Still good, but I think that it co
Kirsty
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

This isn't the first book I have read by this author, having read Tortured Life, a year or so ago. I thoroughly enjoyed that one, and this one was also an enjoyable experience. Much like his previous work that I read, this one was also truly messed up. This graphic novel is dark, twisted, yet fun due to all the eighties pop culture references thrown in.

Everything is a little mixed up at first, but the s
Kirsty
I was reading this as a NetGalley proof, and unfortunately it expired before I could finish it, which is a shame as I was really enjoying it! From what I read, it features incredibly beautiful artwork and a batshit-brilliant world. Yes, the story is slightly confusing, and based on this first trade paperback, not all the elements of the world are tied together yet. But honestly? I'd rather read something wild and imaginative and fascinating, and be a little confused, than know exactly what's goi ...more
Izzy
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
I got a copy from Netgalley for review.

I honestly wanted to like this so much, the description sounded so awesome. But no matter how hard I try, I couldn't get into it–it was confusing, and all over the place. By the time I reached halfway, I felt really bored and I just wanted it to end.

I rated this 2 stars for the art and colors used.
Amy
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookswithreviews
Definitely an interesting graphic novel...
Elaine White
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-reads
Book – Limbo
Author – Dan Watters
Star rating - ★★★★★

** COPY RECEIVED THROUGH NETGALLEY **

There is some incredible artwork here. Not only realistic, but setting the right atmosphere and mood for each scene, while allowing us to see crystal clearly everything that matters in that moment. I really loved the way the phone call at the start was written, so that we could only read the words we were supposed to, like a broken connection would allow.

The whole channel hopping idea was inspired and that li
Book Pairings (Laci Long)
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
This is a private eye tale is a strange town called Dedande. The story begins on Dia de Muertos (Day of The Dead) and takes place in a town that feels a lot like New Orleans on LSD. This “neon-noir” tale explores existentialism in a new way and with an interesting mix of Mexican and New Orleans culture. The art is dripping with bold colors and the geometric aesthetic of the 80s.

The story follows Clay, a private eye who is rescued from the gutter by a young woman and has no memory of his past. C
Derek Royal
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read the first of this series, but I stopped after that because that inaugural issue didn't completely capture my attention. But now, having gone back to read the entire miniseries, I'm more impressed with the narrative as a whole. This is worth checking out, and we discussed this title on a recent episode of The Comics Alternative: http://comicsalternative.com/episode-....
Carina
Jun 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2016, netgalley
A copy of this book was generously provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I have to start by saying that the cover is really pretty. The art in this book is weird but in a good way, it is really good. The story on other hand let me down a bit. I liked half of the book. The other half was confusing, expecially the motivations of the characters. Also the plot gets weeker throughout the book in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I liked it but I wanted something more.
Erica Barnes
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This comic is highly strange but I enjoyed it. The first 2 issues really had me scratching my head and wondering why I was even still reading it. It got better for me once the voodoo became more of a focus. The end was really good. It didn't really end in the way I wanted it to but it was very appropriate given the rest of the story. No happy endings for anyone.
Elgalla
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting premise that delivers massively: TV tropes, teleshamans, voodoo queens dancing to Top of the Pops, loa and spectral musicians come together in this colourful, noir story (yes, I know, it's ironic). The only thing is, it did feel like the story ended so I don't know how it will go on in future volumes. In any case, excellent read.
B
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
3.8* (average of each issue). Do yourself a favor and read this as a trade (bind-up).

My full review is here.

*Thank you NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this graphic novel for my honest review.
Svenja
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Eher 3.5. Artwork sehr gut, aber die Story hat mich an einigen Stellen im Stich gelassen. Leider fehlte mir zudem bei den Charakteren etwas die Tiefe. Trotzdem lesenswert, weil anders als das, was ich sonst so lese.
Ambur
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
LIMBO was AMAZING!!! :D The artwork was fantastic, and the story was absolutely phenomenal! It was full of twists and turns, and I loved every moment of it!!
Jodie
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Waking up in the city of Dedande with no recollection of who he is or how he came to be there, Clay does the only thing he can do. Sets himself up as P.I. and becomes his own first client.

Nine months later, he’s still no closer to the truth, save for a few static beleagured phone calls that offer tantalising but difficult to trace hints at his former life. But when a beautiful singer named Bridgette walks into his office needing help to protect her from a brutal crime lord and his TV-hopping dei
Jill Jemmett
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Clay has gotten a new identity. He doesn’t remember anything of his life before nine months ago. He now works as a private investigator. One day, a singer named Ms. Bridgette asks him to investigate her boss. She tells him she saw something strange happen with him in a room with other people. He was sitting in front of a TV and a man climbed out of it. But then her boss heard her standing in the doorway behind and saw her there. She wants Clay to investigate and find out what was happening. Her ...more
Jason
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I *love* the art style and the 90s references. I'm a bit less interested in the overall plot, but I like the way it incorporated voodoo with technology. But seriously, the colours and look of the book were just gorgeous, and overshadowed the story.

I'd recommend picking it up.
Joyce
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Love the artwork but I couldn't get into the story
Kat Hulu
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
The art is absolutely amazing but I couldn't get into the story
Megan Leigh
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This review originally appeared on Pop Verse.

The premise for this comic miniseries reminds me of some kinds of modern art: throw a bunch of paint at a canvas and see what sticks. In the case of Limbo, the brainchild of Caspar Wijngaard and Dan Watters, has a vast collection of ideas that probably shouldn’t have stuck, but somehow they did. They more than just stuck, they managed to sew together seamlessly and make me wonder why I haven’t read more 80’s nostalgia, voodoo noir take on Life on Mars
Rogues Portal
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Limbo TPB #1
Review by Insha Fitzpatrick

Let me just tell you something straight off the bat. I was absolutely blown away by Limbo.

Limbo_vol1-1Cover by: Caspar WijngaardLimbo is everything you want from a comic, especially a neon-noir comic. It’s fresh, it’s bold, it’s absolutely exciting. It’s a comic that screams to be read and if you haven’t yet, you don’t know what you’re missing.

This neon-noir miniseries turned its focus on a P.I named Clay. A man with no memory of his past and probably feels
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #84 Limbo by Dan Watters 1 2 Jul 16, 2016 01:08PM
  • Little Nemo: Return to Slumberland
  • Chew: The Omnivore Edition, Vol. 3
  • Monsters! and Other Stories
  • The Manhattan Projects, Vol. 3: Building
  • Bob's Burgers: Medium Rare
  • Mine to Have (The Claimed, #1)
  • A Man of Honor (Kingston Family, #2)
  • Bear Despair
  • Solo
  • His Undercover Princess (Tempt Me, #1)
  • Against the Wall
  • MIND MGMT, Volume Two: The Futurist
  • Camp Midnight
  • Bob's Burgers, Volume 1
  • Black Magick, Vol. 1: Awakening, Part One
  • Hades Speaks!: A Guide to the Underworld by the Greek God of the Dead
  • Edward Scissorhands Volume 1: Parts Unknown (Edward Scissorhands, #1)
  • Doctor-Patient Confidentiality: Volume One (Confidential #1)

Limbo (7 books)