Start by marking “To Build a Fire and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
To Build a Fire and Other Stories

To Build a Fire and Other Stories

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  3,785 Ratings  ·  128 Reviews
Penguin 60's are small books measuring 4.25 x 5.33 inches, published on the occasions of Penguin's 60th anniversary. This booklet contains three tales of endurance and adventure that range from the Klondike to the islands of the Pacific.
Published September 1st 1995 by Penguin Books (first published November 1993)

Kahveci
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Benim öykülerim zalimse yaşamın kendisi de zalim demektir. Oysa ben yaşamı zalim değil güçlü bulurum ve yapıtlarımda yaşamın bu güçlülüğünü yansıtmak isterim. (Arka kapak)

Soğuğun -50 derece ve bazen daha soğuk olduğu buz gibi yerlerde, kaynakların tükendiği zamanlarda hayatta kalmaya çalışanların hikayelerinden oluşuyor. Acaba kurtulabilecekler mi?
Jim
I gave this 5 stars in paper format, but never reviewed it. It's been decades since I last read it, so I'm overwriting that edition with this one. I remember some of the stories very well.

Overall, the stories ranged from OK to fantastic, but overall, they were quite good. It was depressing as hell, though. It's a tough world where a 'happy' ending is surviving intact. I'm not surprised I let so many years go by between reads. Definitely memorable, but certainly not uplifting. Still, I recommend
Raphael Rosen
Jun 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!

Jack London's short stories are astonishing. I read them last year, and my jaw was agape the entire time. I highly recommend them.
J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A a good collection of some of the finest short stories ever produced by an American writer.
James Blatter
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I believe there is no more emotional and effecting story written in human history than "To Build A Fire" if this story does not bring you to tears, does not remain with you for the rest of your life than you have no idea what it meansd to be a human and have love and companionship with animals or other humans
Anna
Jun 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adolescent
I really had a Jack London phase in middle school. I remember writing a short story based on the same style and even featuring the same morals. Good times.
Zardoz
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing collection of great stories varying from the expected Klondike to ones about class and indigenous peoples. There was even a science fiction one that could have been written by Lovecraft himself.
London’s writing style is very modern and easy to follow. I’m kicking myself for having not read his works sooner.
Adam
Jul 20, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gold Prospectors, Those with a passion for cold, Armchair adventurers, Short-story fans
As far as I can recall this marks my first experience with the well known Jack London. 'To Build a Fire' is another book I picked up out of a buddies new apartment in Seoul as he refuses to deal with words in print form. While I at first regretted my decision, I decided to stick with it and was appropriately rewarded! Allow me to explain. . .

First of all, it's been a while since I dug into short stories or, more specifically, classic short stories. I remember signing up for a class in college ca
David Nichols
Feb 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
While he is probably best-known for his novels (especially CALL OF THE WILD and WHITE FANG), London made much, if not most, of his literary revenue from his short stories. Most of his shorter fiction, as this collection demonstrates, was mediocre, weighed down by unengaging plots, racist language, and one- or two-dimensional characters. There are several very fine pieces here, however, including the title story; "Love of Life," which was apparently the last story Lenin had read to him (he enjoye ...more
An Odd1
Jun 04, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
20 stories mostly first-person about doomed subject, suffering probably from real life "enforced labor" p 267, more gallows than humor in "gallows humor" p 350. End is usually their death "The Law of Life" p 185. Always man, near prime of life, downtrodden, capitulates to harsh climate.

10 illustrations, I cannot find credit, shaded, of W. coast Indian and Inuit style like many subjects (those are women who feed, clothe, help loves), hatched textures, abstract landscapes, floating faces, swoopin
Petra
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stuff
I've never read anything by Jack London before. This man can write! I really enjoyed these stories and was surprised to find that many of them were not set in the cold, icy North. Jack can write about any setting; from city life to tropical beaches to the icy North.
I particularly enjoyed his stories on individuals from societies different than our North American one. He can get into people's minds and situations.
My favorite stories in the book were:
To Build A Fire
The Chinago - really enjoyed
Artguy
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-reading
It is unfortunate that London is grouped in with classic literature. Compared to the greats, he pales. Nevertheless, his writing is still quite exciting, gripping, and insightful. The tales he weaves take place in areas few know much about, yet he is able to take us into the minds of men living in extreme conditions throughout the globe.

The most famous story, of course, is To Build a Fire. I was surprised to find that his other short stories has just as much merit and originality. At times I was
Karen
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-lit
While London's book doesn't make for the cheeriest of readings (I believe you could end every one with "...and then he died."), he is indeed a master at spinning a captivating tale. The title story was probably my least favorite and among the most depressing of the collection, but for those who harbor a palate for the macabre, the book will surely delight.
Dheerapol
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
รูจัก Jack London จากเรือง white fang (ไอเขียวขาว) เปนนักเขียนทีเขียนเรืองหมาไดเขาถึงมาก

เลมนีเปนเรืองสันสามเรือง สองเรืองเปนความพยายามของมนุษยในการดินรนเอาชีวิตรอดจากธรรมชาติ (มีหมามาแจมนิดนึงทังสองเรืองแตเปนแคตัวเสริม) อีกเรืองเปนเรืองชะตากรรมของคนงานจีนในตาฮิติ

เกงในเรืองการบรรยายสภาพจิตใจของตัวละคร ทำใหเราทอแทหมดหวังหรือมีความหวังฮึดสูไปดวยกัน

อานสนุกดี
Lyn
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To Build a Fire is story enough by itself, towering over the other stories. Brutal and simple, the perfect Jack London story like David Allen Coe wrote the perfect country and western song. All the important elements are there.
Sara
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una dulce historia sobre el hombre y el animal. No somos tan distintos y a menudo ellos luchan por entendernos. Dulce y a la vez feroz.
surfurbian
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gnarly
Chuck
Aug 04, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

These stories were weirder than I recalled.
Leah Angstman
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I like Jack London, and this is some typical fare, minus any lighthearted humor. This collection contains three lengthy short stories that all revolve around the human condition, desperation, the struggle for survival, and the fallibility of men: "The Build a Fire," "The Chiango," and "Love of Life." London is a heavy-handed writer, and this work is loaded in incorrectly used restrictive clauses and too many adjectives, but he does dig deep down into every detail of desperation and the steps one ...more
John W.
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read To Build a Fire and other Klondike Stories in the Library of America collection. The other stories included To The Man on Trail, The White Silence, In A Far Country, The Wit of Porportuk. To Build A Fire is a classic and deserves its fame but some of the others give ideas of how different people and groups of people react to the cold of the Yukon and to one another.

orportuk
Umut Dülger
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
İnsanoğlunun tarihi boyunca yaptığı en büyük icat olan ateşin yaşamsal önemi üstüne; maden arayıcıları, avcılar, kanun adamları ve maceracıların ölümcül kış koşullarının hüküm sürdüğü topraklardaki serüvenleri ile süslü bir öykü kitabı. Jack London yine insan evrimi üstüne kafa yorarken serüvenci ruhumuzu doyurmayı; insan ruhu üzerine çıkarımlarını bizlerle paylaşmayı ihmal etmiyor.
Rebekah Bailey
To Build A Fire, by itself is a 5. It's a very powerful short story. The book as a collection was just fair to middling. The other stories don't have the same gripping power, and I'll be hard pressed to recall them a couple of months down the line.
Gul
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's good one.
Jake
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
London reaches so deeply into the human psyche and soul when tested to the limit. I can't get enough.
Ankita Das
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful collection of short stories .
Adam Cook
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The gold...
Zardoz
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah, Goodreads I finish a book write a review and it doesn’t show up in my challenge.
Anyway, read this book it’s awesome.
Marvin
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack London’s stories have a tendency to lean toward the depressing side of life, especially the ones based on The Klondike. They illustrate Man dealing with the extremes of nature. Hence, nature becomes the equalizing factor among man and animal, reducing humans to their most animalistic and basic form. Neither weather nor animals show mercy for human weakness, and the survival of humans depends mainly on the degree to which they use that ability which is unique to humans; superior intelligence ...more
Геллее Салахов Авбакар
Disclosure:
I got this Edition of Jack London stories free from a friend of mine, I get in English, I have an Electronic version of the Book and soon I am planing to have it in Kindle too.

My Plot:
The story was about an American who was traveling to the Yukon Territory in Canada, he was looking forward to meet some friend there, In fact the Hero's aim from this journey was to look for the Gold, so he took his Husky and Start the Journey in a very cold winter day, He was crossing the River but unf
Preston
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the books on the list I found "100 Books Every Boy Should Read". When I finished this collection of short stories by Jack London, I wondered if they were perhaps a bit too intense for younger readers. They take us on journeys into extreme worlds of Arctic cold and humid jungle where life and death are often tragically portrayed. However, perhaps younger readers do not internalize these themes to the extent an older reader may experience.

Each story is exciting to read because it t
Goodreads Librari...: Add book cover and fix record 8 25 Feb 04, 2018 08:09PM
What do you think 1 9 Jan 25, 2012 11:22AM
  • The Open Boat and Other Stories
  • American Indian Stories, Legends, and Other Writings
  • The Asimov Chronicles: Fifty Years of Isaac Asimov (Volume Five)
  • Tales of Suspense
  • The Country of the Blind and Other Science-Fiction Stories
  • The Best of Frederik Pohl
  • Fire-Hunter
  • The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County
  • The Last Cavalier: Being the Adventures of Count Sainte-Hermine in the Age of Napoleon
  • The Adventure of the Dancing Men and Other Sherlock Holmes Stories
  • Nightmares And Geezenstacks
Jack London was an American novelist, journalist, social-activist and short-story writer whose works deal romantically with elemental struggles for survival. At his peak, he was the highest paid and the most popular of all living writers. Because of early financial difficulties, he was largely self educated past grammar school.
London drew heavily on his life experiences in his writing. He spent ti
More about Jack London...

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland
  • The Unremembered Girl
    $4.99 $2.49
  • We're All Damaged
    $3.99 $1.99
“You have grudged the very fire in your house because the wood cost overmuch!" he cried. "You have grudged life. To live cost overmuch, and you have refused to pay the price. Your life has been like a cabin where the fire is out and there are no blankets on the floor." He signaled to a slave to fill his glass, which he held aloft. "But I have lived. And I have been warm with life as you have never been warm. It is true, you shall live long. But the longest nights are the cold nights when a man shivers and lies awake. My nights have been short, but I have slept warm” 16 likes
“So said Hair-Face, and they killed him, because, they said, he was a wild man and wanted to go back and live in a tree. It was very strange. Whenever a man arose and wanted to go forward all those that stood still said he went backward and should be killed. And the poor people helped stone him, and were fools. We were all fools, except those who were fat and did no work. The fools were called wise, and the wise were stoned. Men who worked did not get enough to eat, and the men who did not work ate too much.” 4 likes