Start by marking “Tornado (Trophy Chapter Book)” as Want to Read:
Tornado (Trophy Chapter Book)

Tornado (Trophy Chapter Book)

A tornado appears in the distance, and Pete, the farmhand, gathers everyone into the storm cellar. While they wait for the storm to pass,he tells the family about the dog dropped down by a tornado when Pete was a boy. Named Tornado, Pete′s pet was no ordinary dog -- he played card tricks, saved a turtle′s life, and had a rivalry with the family cat. By the time Pete tells

Published March 8th 2016 by HarperCollins (first published June 28th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Tornado, please sign up.
Steffanie I read it with two of my low guided reading groups in third grade, and I believe it's completely fine. Everyone survives and the language is on the…moreI read it with two of my low guided reading groups in third grade, and I believe it's completely fine. Everyone survives and the language is on the plain and straightforward side. There is nothing in it 'worse' than "dark skies" and "trembling doghouses."(less)

Betsy
What a great book!! To sum up why I like it:
1. That dog/the illustrations--he looks JUST like my big old beastie... warm fuzzies all around.
2. The reading level/plot/characterization--a great fit together. This is an early chapter book that will hold young readers' interest with a great story and memorable characters (not least of which is the dog, Tornado). It's not going to feel too "young" for older new readers, but it will still be understandable for young new readers.

I think it will make a
Melissa
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 stars. This was a short, fun book! I started reading it with one of my students who struggles in reading (about a 3rd grade level) and he enjoyed it so much he actually checked it out of the library on his own and was reading ahead! I told another of my struggling readers about it and now she is reading it! Good short stories within stories. Keeps the interest of those of us with short attention spans.
Avery
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i love dogs. but the story was okay
Amalia
This book is brief, only 49 pages. With large font, this is a great support for beginning readers and, hopefully a disappointment to readers when it ends too soon. I love the foundation for the plot: a family is stuck in a cellar during a tornado; there is additional worry because the father is still out in the fields. A farmhand provides the perfect diversion to the anxious group: telling stories about his beloved, childhood dog, Tornado, who turned up at his home during a storm similar to what ...more
Erin
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice quick read for young dog lovers everywhere. Each chapter is a short story about the adventures of Tornado, the dog who appeared on the family farm during a tornado. The tales come together as stories told by the farm hand, remembering them from his own childhood, when the family that employs him is hiding in the cellar from another tornado and worrying about their missing husband and father. The book is endearing and an easy read that would be ideal for making the transition to ch ...more
Mustafa
I liked the book but didn't. It was a short book. I wish it would have been larger in pages. Also, it was a good the dog came from the town they lived in.
Sean Harding
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reflective, nostalgic almost melancholic story of man remembering his pet dog from when he was young, and telling some of the stories, the way he ends up with the dog doesn't sit comfortable, but the story as a whole is quite well told, it is a pity it was so brief, there was scope for a longer read.
A beautiful book though.
This was the second of four books read on my weekend with friends, and looking at the library of the four daughters.
MaryAnn
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dogs, cats, trying to find the good in everything, helping someone or creature get through a bad time and the enduring comfort and entertainment of stories based on a real life.

For my friends in Oklahoma, the telling of the aftermath of a tornado and the Dad's response are priceless.

The illustrations by Doron Ben-Ami are beautiful and expressive.
A.E. Fuhrman
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
When it comes to dog stories, this is a good one, especially for kids to read aloud. The shorter chapters and overall length make it feel very doable for 8-11 year olds. But the story is rich enough that it motivates practice reading. My ten-year-old son and I both enjoyed the sweet story of the bond between a boy and his dog.
Jenny Hartfelder
Tornado is a nice story at a solid 3rd grade reading level. It's interesting enough, but I would not consider it a great literary classic. It does, however, have good positive messages about love for animals and family and respect for other people.
Carina
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book "Tornado" by Betsy Byars is a book about a dog that flew into a boys yard during a tornado. The boy got really fond of the dog very quick. The dad didn't mind it either, just because it was so well behaved. I liked this book because even though it was small it was really intense and great. My favorite part was when Tornado came back to the boys house. My least favorite was when the real owners took the dog from the boy and the boy's dad. I would recommend this book to someone who likes ...more
Kate Schwarz
Sweet little book about a family huddled together in a basement while a tornado clatters above them. To pass the time and keep the moods high, they tell stories about another Tornado in their past: a sweet dog that came into their lives during a tornado and made their lives all the better.
Jamie
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable little read about a wonderful dog that reminds me a lot of my own dog! I decided to read this since my second graders are reading it at small groups currently. Took me maybe 15 minutes to read. I really liked it!
Natalie
Vignettes about a beloved family pet, Tornado. Tornado appears, you guessed it, during a tornado. Bobby adopts the dog and becomes good friends with him. I like the story of the hole and the cat best. Cute little book.

BOB 3/4
John
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, 4-star, kids
Fun little book I read to my son.
Sharon
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this to my first graders this year and they loved it. We love a good dog story! Then we learned how to draw tornadoes.
Kayla Pontoriero
This Was my second time reading this book. The first time I read it I was really little and now, at the age of 16, I decided to read it again. I liked it as much as I did the first time I read it.
Jennifer Davis
I just read this to my 9 year old daughter when she wasn’t feeling so great and we both found it very enjoyable. The stories about Tornado were very cute, funny and endearing.
Tam Newell
Read with my third graders, who loved it. I thought they would struggle with the story within the story, but they did really well with it.
Tre Bennett
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 12

A tornado is heading towards Pete's house, so he and his family takes refuge down in their cellar. As the menacing storm passes, Pete discovers a dog that has been blown to their house by the tornado. So they name the dog Tornado due to the way he was brought to them. Pete chooses the name and the two become best friends. However, Tornado is no ordinary dog- he played card tricks, saved a turtles life, and had a rivalry with the family cat. But one sad day, Pete's father takes Pete and T
Jul 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was on a book list for 2nd grade students. It was dumb.
Emma Malmquist
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this book was very good and I also could not put this book down. I loved this book so much.
Candida
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love animal stories and this one was unlike anything I had heard before so I had to read it. I just can't imagine the strength it must take to live in tornado alley and rebuild your life.
Anna
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-books-read
Amazing story!
Jen
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful story about Pete the farmhand and the dog that showed up during a tornado. It's a short read, but a wonderful story which students of all ages can enjoy.
Emma
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Five stars because the dog (view spoiler).
Mialee
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very happy and then again very sad and very happy!:):(
Kristen
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story. Approx early 3rd grade level. Could be enjoyed by boys or girls.
Kristie Rodas
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, super quick read. I’ll say 4.5 stars. It almost feels like it needs a little more?

This is a title on our school’s “Battle of the Books” list.
Elizabeth Ricks
Cute, easy book for the Book Battle
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Prairie School
  • The Paint Brush Kid
  • Third-Grade Detectives #1-2: The Clue of the Left-Handed Envelope & The Puzzle of the Pretty Pink Handkerchief
  • The Long Way to a New Land
  • Clara and the Bookwagon
  • Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)
  • It's My Birthday
  • Christina Katerina & the Box
  • The Raft
  • Lumber Camp Library
  • Jake Drake, Bully Buster
Betsy Byars has written over sixty books for young people. Her first published in 1962 and since then she has published regularly. Her books have been translated into nineteen languages and she gets thousands of letters from readers in the United States and from all over the world.

She has won many awards. Among them are the Newbery Medal in 1971 for her novel The Summer of the Swans, the American