Start by marking “Bone, Vol. 2: The Great Cow Race (Bone, #2)” as Want to Read:
Bone, Vol. 2: The Great Cow Race (Bone, #2)

Bone, Vol. 2: The Great Cow Race

(Bone (Delcourt noir et blanc) #2)

Part two of the first Bone trilogy has the three Bone cousins further entrenching themselves into their new valley home: Fone Bone is still pining for the lovely Thorn, Phoney Bone is plotting more schemes, and Smiley Bone is still, well, smiling! While it's hard to upstage the hilarity and operatic chaos of the cow race, one of the really special moments of this book is f ...more
Published November 5th 1996 by Cartoon Books (first published December 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Bone, Vol. 2, please sign up.
Lucas yes it safe for work no bad languge it is a really good book.

Start your review of Bone, Vol. 2: The Great Cow Race (Bone, #2)
Patrick
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading through this series again, I was surprised at the tone of the book. Or rather, the lack of a consistent tone.

Follow me here for a second.

For years and years, if I didn't like a story (especially a movie) 8 times out of 10, my main criticism was "Lack of consistent tone."

Waterworld is the best example of this that I can think of. At various points it's a grim survival movie, a light-hearted action movie, a gritty post-apocalyptic morality play, or a slapstick farce.

And any one of thes
Calista
I enjoyed this a lot more than Vol. 1. This has the characters already established and more of the mystery is unfolding for us.

Grandma Rose is running her annual cow race. She can outrun a heard of cows because she is tough as gristle. Phoney is rigging the game to make money on betting. He is telling everyone to bet on the mystery cow against grandma and Smiley is going to dress up as the mystery cow.

Fone Bone goes to the festival with Thorn and Thorn flirts with another guy and it hurts Fone
Mariah Roze
This was definitely better than the first book! The characters were more developed. The pictures spoke more for themselves. I enjoyed it!

I read this for my Couple's Book Club with my boyfriend for our November read :)
Mario
Not a single Ohmygosh in this. I thought that was gonna stick. Oh well...

These are so much fun to read. And this one also was a lot more funnier than the first one. It made me laugh out loud so many times. Really looking forward to see where the series is going.

Sesana
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, comics
I think I'm getting into this story. I had a lot of fun with the cow race story that takes up much of the volume. Phoney is significantly less annoying when he's actively trying to scam somebody, and I ended up actually kind of liking him and Smiley by the end of the book. Not nearly as much as I like Fone and Thorn, of course. There are some hints towards the deeper story, but Smith doesn't hit you over the head with it. Most of all, I like that this feels like a complete story in and of itself ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Another fabulous edition to the graphic novel Bone series! This book is funny, dark, exciting and fantastic all at the same time.
Danger
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story continues, this volume, for me, pretty much on equal footing with the one before it, at least in terms of holding my attention.
Jaksen
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well the Bones move on, Fone Bone, Phoney Bone and Smiley. (I think I got their names right!) Phoney is off to embezzle/cheat/lie whoever he can to make the big bucks, which is how he got kicked out of his hometown, Boneville to begin with. (Will the little guy ever learn? Nah.)

Now he's taking bets that his gambling gambit will succeed - you see, he's betting everyone will bet on his Mystery Cow (Smiley in disguise, a cow suit!) to win the race, when he knows for sure that Gram’na Ben will win i
Skip
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Moving a little away from some of the darker themes in the first book, the Great Cow Race is about Phoney Bone's nefarious plot to bilk the locals by hyping a surprise entrant in the race versus Grandma, the perennial winner, who is portrayed as "over the hill." Light, but enjoyable read. I was disappointed that my library book was only black and white, and missing some of the excellent coloration from the first book I read.
Gary Butler
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
9th book read in 2018.

Number 185 out of 669 on my all time book list.

Very original stuff
Jim Gorman
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Second in the Bone series. I must admit, it is pretty fun to read, especially trying to figure out what Phoney Bone did to have a specter after him. It is also funny to see how he tries to rig the great cow race to win all the goods in town, since they dont use money. I just wish Thorn would return Fone Bone's affection. I will definitely pick up the next book in the series.
Henry
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was confusing to me because we wore in a farmer market
Michael
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This just squeaked by with 4 stars: it is a definite improvement over the first book, as the plot really starts moving, and the laughs were a lot more frequent. I almost didn't pick it up since the first one was just average, but I'm glad I read it. The cow race cinched the fourth star! And the quiche jokes. Yes! The only thing that bothered me was that now that we are meeting the whole town, it's all white folks, except a sudden (tongue-in-cheek) cameo. (I checked, and yes Aladdin came out the ...more
Chip'sBookBinge
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovin' the series so far. The thing I'm really digging about Bone is that it continues from one issue to the next with really no breaks whatsoever. This is one long, continuous story...so far. Bone: The Great Cow Race (Volume 2) collects issues 7-12.

Not much else to say as I'm not going to break down each and every issue since it all ties into one giant story. So, you're just gonna have to read it for yourself. One thing that I will mention is the reaction of Phoney Bone when he discovers that L
Matthew Whitelaw
The cornerstone of GRAPHIX, our new graphic novel imprint, BONE is the incredible comic book saga of an unlikely hero who must save an idyllic valley from the forces of evil.

In THE GREAT COW RACE, volume 2 of this 9-book epic, Fone Bone and his cousins plan to return home after visiting the village of Barrelhaven with Thorn and Gran'ma Ben. But Phoney risks everything on one last get-rich-quick scheme for the town's annual Great Cow Race. As usual, Phoney's plans go disastrously awry, and Bonevi
Christopher
Part of Christopher's Great Reread of 2015!!! Hmm.. I need a better title for that.

0% of the ratings on this volume are 1 star. What else do you need to know? I didn't even know that was possible for a book with over about 12 ratings.

Go read Rothfuss' review as I think it has an interesting take. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

"Upon your feed you have ten toes...
they look just like po-ta-toes!" --- Excerpt from Fone's love poem
Gayle Francis Moffet
As much of a delight as the first volume and a great job at opening up more of the story while keeping the overall feel of the book fun and of-the-moment. Jeff Smith's art is really something special. Everyone looks distinct, even the Bone fellows, and his use of texture and shadow is wonderful. I think this will end up being a favorite as I move forward, and for more than just my absolute adoration of Gran'ma Ben.
twice_baked✌️
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rtc, 4-stars
Again, not going to write a whole review on just this section (I have them in one book, so for me it's a section), but I will write a review on my edition when I'm done. And then I'll tell you what I REALLY think. lol, I think they're fantastic. An amazing series, even though I'm not a huge fan of comic books. :)

(but it gets better and better, so keep reading even if you feel discouraged)
Fox
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bone continues to be surprisingly good stuff.

Like the first volume, this one was laugh out loud funny for me. There were several moments where my husband peeked in, briefly perplexed by how loud I was laughing. That's a rarity for me, and this book deserves at least one star for that alone. Nevertheless, there was far more to this book than simply the humor. Like the first few volumes of Chew Bone is building up to something greater it seems. How much does Phoney Bone really know? Is he aware
Darion Williams
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was about the bones who have to blend into the other cows so they won't get caught from the rat creatures but the rat creatures are chasing the cows and they have to run away.I liked this book because It was funny and it had a lot of close calls.I recommend this book to people that like the bone series and read bone 1.

Nolan Platten
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by this awesome author! I think that this is the best series I have ever read!! The Bone books are hilarious and action packed!
Miranda Peterson
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starting to figure out more of the mysteries in this story! I am going to the library today to pick up the third because I have to know what happens!
Ryan Hixson
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bone, Vol. 2 The Great Cow Race by Jeff Smith adds more slap stick and more focus to the ridiculous second graphic Novel in the Bone Series. This book is part Looney Toons meets Grimm Fairy Tails. The Story still manages to add to the lore of Bone and the mysterious dragon while the main focus is on The Great Cow Race. Every character from the first novel manages to make an appearance in someway. This novel was not as sexualized as the first one I get the Bone series for my 11 year old cousin, a ...more
Doctor Alpha
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The stars of this book are the relation between Phone Bone and Thorn and some hints about the latter's past. Even if I never picked up a Bone Book before, this is very entertaining even for somebody like myself who is not into fantasy except some sword and sorcery stuff. Recommended.
Gabe
I read this in one night.
Vikas
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now we are getting somewhere I liked this better than the first volume and loved it. This vol had the cow race as the name implied and we also had the schemes by Phoney and the rat creatures were again chasing Bones. lets see what's more to come.

I have always loved comics, and I hope that I will always love them. Even though I grew up reading local Indian comics like Raj Comics or Diamond Comics or even Manoj Comics, now's the time to catch up on the international and classic comics and Graphic
Emily
I did not enjoy this volume as much as I enjoyed the first. The storyline felt slower and it just didn't hold my interest as much. The antics of the bones was entertaining and watching Phoney try to scheme his way through the book was a delight but it just felt like it took forever even though it's a fairly short read. I did like how Thorn's past and childhood was explored a little bit more. I also really enjoyed the interaction between the two rat creatures. They were the highlight of the work.
Dávid Novotný
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Teasing of greater story in behind continues, love grow stronger and jokes are still pretty good
K.C.
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
This was a great book and I enjoyed the whole series.
Lauren
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always fun with the recaps of the Bone series

• Bone: Quest for the Spark, Vol. 1
  • The Stonekeeper's Curse (Amulet, #2)
  • The Cloud Searchers (Amulet, #3)
  • The Last Council (Amulet, #4)
  • Escape from Lucien (Amulet, #6)
  • The Stonekeeper (Amulet, #1)
  • Prince of the Elves (Amulet, #5)
  • Bone: Quest for the Spark, Vol. 2
  • Firelight (Amulet, #7)
  • Bone: Quest for the Spark Vol. 3
  • The Goon, Volume 2: My Murderous Childhood (and Other Grievous Yarns)
  • Supernova (Amulet, #8)
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 4: The Dragon Bellow Conspiracy (Usagi Yojimbo, #4)
  • The Goon, Volume 6: Chinatown and The Mystery of Mr. Wicker
  • They're Not Like Us, Vol. 2
  • Scary Summer (Goosebumps Graphix, #3)
  • What Your Second Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Second-Grade Education Revised (Core Knowledge Series)
  • The Goon, Volume 4: Virtue and the Grim Consequences Thereof
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See other authors with similar names.

Born and raised in the American mid-west, Jeff Smith learned about cartooning from comic strips, comic books, and watching animation on TV. In 1991, he launched a company called Cartoon Books to publish his comic book BONE, a comedy/adventure about three lost cousins from B

Bone (Delcourt noir et blanc) (9 books)
  • Bone, Vol, 1: Out from Boneville (Bone, #1)
  • Bone, Vol. 3: Eyes of the Storm (Bone, #3)
  • Bone, Vol. 4: The Dragonslayer (Bone, #4)
  • Bone, Vol. 5: Rock Jaw Master of the Eastern Border (Bone, #5)
  • Bone, Vol. 6: Old Man's Cave (Bone, #6)
  • Bone, Vol. 7: Ghost Circles (Bone, #7)
  • Bone, Vol. 8: Treasure Hunters (Bone, #8)
  • Bone, Vol. 9: Crown of Horns (Bone #9)