Start by marking “The Go-Getter: A Story That Tells You How To Be One” as Want to Read:
The Go-Getter: A Story That Tells You How To Be One

The Go-Getter: A Story That Tells You How To Be One

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  5,572 Ratings  ·  245 Reviews
The classic motivational parable (over 500,000 copies sold worldwide) that shows you how to make your own opportunities in life, updated for the modern reader by bestselling business author Alan Axelrod Ever since its first printing by William Randolph Hearst in 1921,The Go-Getterhas inspired employees and entrepreneurs to take initiative, increase their productivity, and ...more
Published March 15th 1963 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published November 30th 1920)

To ask other readers questions about The Go-Getter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Go-Getter

Lynda
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All those who need a little inspiration
There is an abundance of knowledge available to us; there are libraries, websites, mentors, and lessons learned the hard way. There are goals to reach, mountains to climb, lives to change, and new roads to travel. We have dreams, we have passions, and we have must-dos, can-dos, and should-dos. All of us have within us the power to make great strides for a better world for ourselves, our families, and the generations to follow. These achievements take personal and professional forms, sometimes a ...more
Chris Munson
A very short parable (you can read it during your lunch hour) on how a young unemployed veteran is handed the opportunity to take his career to the top (if he succeeds) or go down in flames and ruin his career (if he fails). The book runs along the lines of the "Who Moved My Cheese" approach (though it was written in the 20's) of using a short story to explain a few very basic (though powerful) principles. This book really sums up the guiding principle of consulting: Even if you aren't sure you ...more
Corey Kniesel
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm use to my mind wandering or falling asleep after 15-30min.....2hours later the book is done!

The Story Kept me engaged and wanting to hear what was next. Bill Peck Values something that I feel has been watered down and lost its value over the years, His Word. One man at a time we can Build Strength into Our Word so the Phrase "My Word Is My Bond" and the Value it Brings can Mean something once more! Starting with Me! I Commit to Myself, I Give My WORD to Myself to Become a Go Getter For Mysel
Pamela Fernandes
This is a wonderful short about the story of a go-getter. Peck a war veteran demonstrates the qualities of a go-getter. What you have here is a war veteran with an amputated leg and hand. Yet, with singular focus and determination he manages to get his job done. Many people might read this and think, this is just silly, but I believe it's a matter of perspective. You can read it and each person will learn something based on his own flaws.This book written in 1920 taught me a few things:
- The mot
Keith
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short book - can easily be read in one sitting - but powerfully inspirational. Get this book on your shelf and read it often!
Chris
Sep 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
My workplace gave all employees a copy of The Go Getter and encouraged us to read the book and to come up with our own "Blue Vase." There was also apparently a short story by P.G. Wodehouse of the same name and so to avoid confusion I found a couple of places that referenced this book by Kyne as Winning the Blue Vase. Other versions add the (original?) subtitle "A Story that Tells You how to Be One."

The book is a very short read (only about 70 pages) and our edition came with an afterword of ano
Ray Kelly
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Go-Getter is a great little motivational book. Although written by Peter Kyne just after the Great War in 1921, the message, which is mostly about the importance of persistence, is still highly relevant today. The irony is that I was given this book as part of a sales recognition program in 1991 (thank you Jack Poole), and it’s taken me 24 years to finally get around to reading it. As with many motivational books, it is a parable that shows you how to make your own opportunities in life. The ...more
Bob Wallner
I added this book when Chris Hogen on EntreLeadership Podcast was doing their "Must Read" segment early 2014. The premise is about doing what ever is needed to reach your goals.

This hour long audiobook is entertaining, but is difficult at first as it is written with very "old-school" language. This took a minute to get over and eventually made the story very pleasant.

The next/biggest problem I have with the story line is that it challenges the character's morality. Not to give away anything, bu
David Glad
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: achieve
For anyone who doesn't wish to buy the (audio)book, you can download this off librivox.org (volunteers who make public domain versions of audiobooks of books that have since passed into the public domain..) or the full text off Google books.

This was a very nice short story about tireless persistence and ingenuity with the primary character being a "disabled" veteran of WWI (contrasted with other lazy workers the bosses knew) who consistently beats the almost "impossible" odds stacked against him
GoldGato
Written in the 1920s, when the business of America was business, this reprint tells a story of how a handicapped man used his "go-getter" attitude to overcome the odds. Now in this new century, companies are handing this book out to employees to bring back the old work ethic.

A WWI veteran asks an eminent company executive for a job. In order to get that precious position, the disabled man must pass the Blue Vase Test (which means he has to find this object and deliver it at a certain time). As t
Beau Raines
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick read about getting the job done. It tells the story of a veteran who wants a job with a lumber company and his resolve to get the job. When he gets the job, unbeknownst to him. he is put to a test . The story continues with his resolve to finish the task.
Rob
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Are you a Go-Getter? This quick read lets you know what it means to be one.
JC
Sep 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good story about the willingness to grab what you're dreaming of and the rewards that come.
Jenna
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick read with valuable lessons, straightforward characters, and funny situations. I don't read a lot of literature from this period so the dialect was different from what I'm used to, but I definitely laughed out loud at a lot of Cappy's lines! This is a book you can read in an hour on a lazy Sunday and then use to reflect on your own life afterward.
Chris
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fairly quick 45 page read written in the twenties. The written old language is a bit to get used to but it eventually flows. For me, this book was about setting specific goals and being persistent in achieving it. No matter what obstacle gets in the way the character still overcomes it. A sheer test of strength and endurance. A good read worth coming back to in times of doubt.
Anthony
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read. Too quick, actually. Really riveting. The story demonstrates well the need for go-getters. It teaches the lesson of a work ethic, exhausting the options, and sticking with something until it's done. All lessons that most employees struggle with.
Camille Hoffmann
Quick and to the point- basically, are you wishy washy in your commitments and attitude, or do you say "It shall be done"? A short story illustrating how easy it can be to stop as soon as we hit an obstacle, but that successful people, the go-getters, are those that don't let obstacles deter them.
Aniket Sanjay
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read book. Takes only an hours or so.
Irene
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It shall be done!
Trish Dickerson
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You will hang on, to how it 's done.

Compelling reading. WILL be an example to persevere, for what is of value to you. June an author to read agsin
Chip! Anderson
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read

Recommended reading from Steve Siebold. Could be seen as out of date, but the emotions are timeless. "It shall be done."
Mohan Narayanaswamy
Rehashes everything required for success in a tiny novel format. Good one!
Brad Coleman
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book and a quick read!
Ryan
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Great book! Awesome attitude to adopt
Maegan
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-to-buy
This is a GREAT short story on the importance of never giving up in the face of challenges and to become the go-getter.
Bruce Thomas
1921 short tale of perseverance culminating in the "Degree of the Blue Vase."
Perry Whitford
Want to know the secret of how to become a go-getter? All you need is a diamond and a friend who can pilot a plane.

A lumber businessman needs a new manager for the Shanghai branch of the firm, likes the cut of a pushy ex-army man's gib and decides to test his mettle by sending him on a wild goose chase for a blue vase.

Just as the case is a classic Mcguffin, the diamond and the pilot with plane are also irrelevant details of course. The key to bring a go-getter is really to show persistence beyon
Pete Thomas
how to succeed through persistance
Karen
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very short book meant to motivate the reader to do what it takes to get the job done. The protagonist in the book is a disabled WWI veteran who is given a series of increasingly difficult tasks to complete in order to keep his job/obtain a promotion from his supervisors. His refusal to give up pays off big in the end. The message is simple and clear: If you try you will succeed and be rewarded.

This book was written in the 1920s...so before the Vietnam War, PTSD, etc. ... which were some of th
Nancy Crawford
Although I was unsure what this story had to do with anything I was interested in when I began, it didn't take long to appreciate the story and quickly read it.
Kindle Deals: Free Motivational Sales Book! 1 3 Oct 26, 2015 11:43AM
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • Rhinoceros Success: The Secret To Charging Full Speed Toward Every Opportunity
  • Flipping the Switch: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the QBQ!
  • No More Mondays: Fire Yourself -- and Other Revolutionary Ways to Discover Your True Calling at Work
  • The Power of Who: You Already Know Everyone You Need to Know
  • Thou Shall Prosper: Ten Commandments for Making Money
  • Hung by the Tongue
  • The Choice
  • Acres of Diamonds
  • Becoming a Person of Influence: How to Positively Impact the Lives of Others
  • More than Enough: The Ten Keys to Changing Your Financial Destiny
  • The One-Life Solution: Reclaim Your Personal Life While Achieving Greater Professional Success
  • The Tongue - A Creative Force
  • The Friendship Factor: How to Get Closer to the People You Care for
  • How I Raised Myself from Failure to Success in Selling
  • Master-Key to Riches
  • Life Is Tremendous
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
12009
Peter Bernard Kyne was an American novelist who wrote between 1904 and 1940. Many of his works were adapted into screenplays starting in the silent era, particularly his first novel, The Three Godfathers, which was published in 1913 and proved to be a huge success. He is credited in 110 films between 1914 and 1952.

When still under 18, he lied about his age and enlisted in Company L, 14th U.S. Infa
More about Peter B. Kyne...

“If I can do it, I'll do it better than it was ever done before, and if I can't do that I'll quit to save you the embarrassment of firing me.” 1 likes