Start by marking “Ask the Bones: Scary Stories from Around the World” as Want to Read:
Ask the Bones: Scary Stories from Around the World

Ask the Bones: Scary Stories from Around the World

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  255 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
What is real and what is imaginary? Do evil creatures lurk in the shadows? Do demons attack the helpless? Are there such things as invisible men? For generations, storytellers have given substance to our worst fears. In Ask the Bones, master storytellers Arielle North Olson and Howard Schwartz retell a varied selection of the world's most frightening folktales. Be warned-t ...more
Published August 26th 2002 by Puffin Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Ask the Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ask the Bones

Rebecca McNutt
Both historical and creepy, this book includes numerous supernatural tales from different cultures around the world. It's intriguing how many of these stories are generated by the subconscious fears of various societies based on their every-day lifestyles and mindsets.
Johnny Vargas
Nov 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book was really interesting to me and made me want to read more. It was written by Arielle North Olson and Howard Schwartz.This book could be fiction or non-fiction, it all depends on if you believe.Reading this book,it made we wonder if I ever seen or heard ghost;it made me realize,what happens after death.This book created scary emotions for me, but at the sametime, my reaction was to see read more.This book has all different kinds of stories from around the world. Some are in the United ...more
Andrea
Jul 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, short-stories
I wouldn't call this book a collection of scary stories. They were more like fairy tales with unhappy endings. I own some book of fairy tales from all around the world, so some stories seemed a little bit familiar, and I liked that.
I wasn't scared by this book. At all. I'm disappointed.
Zpro
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book "Ask the Bones" by Arielle North Olson and Howard Schwartz is a collection of horror stories from different countries. In this book, you will encounter vengeful ghost dogs, the devil bargaining for souls, witches enslaving students and turning them into oxen, evil princesses, greedy wizards, speaking severed heads, and ghostly pirates. My favorite story came from Eastern Europe and was titled "The Speaking Head." In this story, Joseph, a 12 year old boy is trapped by a demon in a room ...more
Kayla
Aug 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009-read
This book would be very good for young kids (5th grade) but the ghost stories in it are not very appealing or even spooky for older readers. I thought I would hear some interesting tales, being as the book was supposedly collected from various countries, but it felt more like a collection of ordinary folk tales as opposed to ghost stories. Like I said: great for younger readers, not for older readers.
Jacob
Oct 31, 2009 rated it liked it
This is a collection of scary stories from around the world...except I don't think some of them are very scary. And my mom says you can read the book as long as you don't show up in your parent's room in the middle of the night. Then your mom takes away your scary-book-check-out-privileges at the library.
William Stanger
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an interesting little book of 'scary' folk tales from around the world that were probably aimed at a younger audience. They weren't that scary, but were more unpleasant. Some of them were great, but others not so much.
Carmen Slaughter
Great collection of stories that are excellent to read aloud for groups of all ages.
Ours was between nine and ninety. Something for everyone.
Abby
The stories are different from most I've read before, however, the writing leaves much to be desired.
Hanna Noonan
  • Our Haunted Lives: True Life Ghost Stories
  • Old Indian Legends
  • Princeless, Vol. 4: Be Yourself
  • The Dark-Thirty: Southern Tales of the Supernatural
  • The Triad of Finity (Oliver Nocturne, #6)
  • Alyxandra Harvey Collection (Drake Chronicles, #1-3; Haunting Violet, #1)
  • Witch's Sister (Witch Saga, #1)
  • Eaten Alive (Star Wars: Galaxy of Fear, #1)
  • Graphic Classics, Volume 4: H.P. Lovecraft
  • Not One Damsel in Distress: World Folktales for Strong Girls
  • Dark Moon (Wereling, #2)
  • Home Sweet Horror
  • Pemba's Song: A Ghost Story
Arielle North Olson is an author of children's books.

Arielle is the daughter of noted author Sterling North, who wrote Rascal. She is also the niece of author, poet, and editor Jessica Nelson North. She is one of the copyright owners of Sterling North's body of work. She now has 3 children and 7 grandchildren, and is a resident of St. Louis, Missouri.

Arielle is from a multi-generation literary fam
More about Arielle North Olson...