Start by marking “Finding the Sky” as Want to Read:
Finding the Sky

Finding the Sky

Dillon Smith is so ready for the school year to be over, because he’ll get some relief from the gang that’s been pressuring him to join them. Unfortunately, when he stops for a soda, he’s implicated in the gang robbing a convenience store. Given his late father’s association with the gang, even his mother doesn’t believe him when he says he wants no part of it, and she sen ...more
Published February 11th 2016 by Harmony Ink Press

To ask other readers questions about Finding the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding the Sky

Arch Bala
In general, I liked this book. It’s very neat and very quick-paced. I liked Dillon’s character. He’s only sixteen so I appreciate that his mindset and his attitude is very apt to his age. I wished that he wasn’t that prim and proper though. Actually, thinking back – I thought the dialogues were a bit too polished – almost unrealistic at times. It didn’t bother me at all. I mean, it worked in the story so that’s a win for the author.

I also loved the romance between the two teenagers. Scott is an
Kristie
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Dillon is a good kid, trying to lead a good life. Due to some trouble with a local gang, he's put into a situation where he can, hopefully, get away from the gangs, the bad, and his mother who doesn't believe he is really an innocent guy who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. So, he's sent to stay with his uncle for the summer.

The story starts out really well, believable even. The issues I have with it have a lot to do with the mother and her complete and total inability to have any faith
Trisha
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
A very cute love story. I was sad when the mom and uncle didn't believe. I liked getting to know more about eagle / bird nature preserves. I liked the slow burn and build up of the relationship and how sweet it was. The scene by the river was adorable.

very sweet story.
Lori
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, bmbr-reads
My first AM Burns book... I enjoyed it. Review previously at bmbr.

When this book was offered for review, I have to admit to being in two minds about whether to take it or not. If I'm honest it was the cover rather than the blurb that sold me, so can we all pause for a moment and give a little cover love to this book. Aaah. Feels good huh? So many fugly covers, I do appreciate it when I find one I love!

The cover persuaded me to give it a try, and I'm glad I did. Despite the fact that portions of
Jonah
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

Being a teenager its hard for me to find a book I can connect with. Reading Finding the Sky made me realize that there are books i can connect with.

As the final bell of Dillon's sophomore year, he would have never expected to end up where he is now. As Dillon walked home from school on the last day he stopped at a corner mart to get a soda. A gang called The Shanks, started to rob the store. As the robbery started it ended
Erica Chilson
I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

3 Stars

Young adult age range: 12+. Slight violence: known but not shown, even in the moment. First love/innocent romance and the journey to discover one's sexual identity.

Finding the Sky is surely to resonate with young adult readers, especially male teens who are going through a similar situation. The novel is fast-paced, innocent. There are difficult situations shown, but the author doesn't dive too deep, not enough to terrify
S.M. Harshell
**I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.**

I usually don't read within this genre and haven't in a long time but I'm glad I took the time to pick this one up.

Dillon begins his summer at the police station, two kids are dead and he's suspected of being involved. Everyone thinks he's part of the Shanks, a local gang. His mom doesn't know what to believe. The only option she has is to send him to live with his Uncle Bryan for the summer.

When Dillon meets the neigh
D.M.
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
The synopsis to this book reminded me of the intro to fresh prince of bel air. Dillon is a teen who has grown up in a rough area where gangs are always looking to recruit so his mother decides to send him off to visit his uncle. This is where the Book stops resembling the fresh prince.

Dillon's uncle is gay and has a few friends who are also. Scott is a teen of the same age and is happy to keep Dillon company during his stay. Scott helps Dillon realise his sexuality and helps him come to terms w
Saarah Niña
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Teenagers
I received this through NetGalley.

I'd like to start by commenting on the title, it couldn't have been more suitable - I especially enjoyed the parts regarding the birds, and the freedom which was metaphoric of Dillon's freedom to explore his sexuality. At the beginning the hawk was injured, wounded and broken representing Dillon's poor self esteem, confusion and vulnerability. Indeed, this was cleverly implemented.

I first requested this book because I don't usually lean towards books in which th
Kate
Feb 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Quick spoilers:(view spoiler)

Also, the book just wasn't very good - lacked depth, dialogue was unrealistically proper, main characters had zero faults, all conflict resolution (gang, his mom, Robbie) was very tidy/simplistic.
Curtis
Dillon Smith doesn't live in the best part of Dallas. And he's looking forward to the end of the school year, so he can spend the summer away from the gangs and the classmates who are pressuring him to join one. Even though he doesn't have a lot of friends, a gang's just not something he wants to be a part of. But when he stumbles into the gang's activities, he finds himself being treated as guilty for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Though he's never been in trouble, his mother does ...more
Vanessa
This beautiful book is about finding love where you least expect it, having that much needed support from those who love you and trying really hard to escape the dark side. I absolutely loved it !

Scott is so cute, I literally can't even. I loved seeing Dillion and his relationship grow as well as Dillion's relationship with his uncle Bryan. I feel like a terrible person for feeling like this but I wasn't really sorry when Dillion's mom was out of the picture. I didn't like the thought of him ha
Jaymie
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
An entertaining read that had a lighter feel to it than the previous book I recently finished. A relatively good story even if parts were a bit underwhelming and I felt like they were either glossed over or a bit far fetched. I would've liked to have had a little bit more grit to it when dealing with the Gang or Dillon's relationship with his mother.

Overall I enjoyed it and give it 3.5 Stars!
Justin Wideman
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this fast paced novel. It had the perfect amount of intrigue and budding romance! I devoured this in one sitting
Carol