Start by marking “Scrivener Superpowers: How to Use Cutting-Edge Software to Energize Your Creative Writing Practice” as Want to Read:

The book that gives creative writers the tools they need to master their writing process with Scrivener.

If you've ever been intimidated by Scrivener, set your fears to rest.

Scrivener Superpowers is not just another how-to-use-software book. It's an entertaining, easy-to-read, and deeply helpful guide to take your story from concept to completion using the most cutting-edge
Published January 10th 2016 by The Write Practice

To ask other readers questions about Scrivener Superpowers, please sign up.
Topher It might be. It's certainly missing any kind of relevant help or content.

Start your review of Scrivener Superpowers: How to Use Cutting-Edge Software to Energize Your Creative Writing Practice
K.M. Weiland
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Scrivener is arguably the writing tool of the age, but it's no good to writers if they can't understand it. In this book, Herron does an admirable job of laying the groundwork for authors just starting out in Scrivener. It's all here: what the program does, how to use it, how to access the "secret" features, and, just as importantly, how to implement it into good writing habits.
Ruthanne Reid
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the best instructional manual for Scrivener I've encountered anywhere - and lest that sound boring or dry, let me emphasize that it is not.

This is extremely readable, entertaining, and deeply helpful for any writer who wants to take their tool-usage to the next level. I highly recommend this book. HIGHLY.

I received this manuscript as a pre-publication beta-reader, and I'm deeply glad I did. Fellow writers: get this book. Even if you think Scrivener is not for you, this book will change y
Matt
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Book 60 of 60 for this years reading challenge... 6 months ahead of schedule.

A most informative book on using Scrivener. This one has helped me understand the many facts of this writing software. Best one on the subject I have read. Good writing tips and ways to use the application foe best results.
Jim Krenz
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So, I am writing this review in Scrivener, which is fitting. I haven’t used Scrivener in years, as I have chosen to move on to a minimalist editor named Ulysses. I never used more than the basic features of Scrivener (in particular, the Binder and Compile features are Scrivener’s primary strengths, in my opinion), and its lack of an iOS version made the choice of transition easier.

When Scrivener Superpowers came to my attention, it seemed like a fine time to revisit the tool, and see what M.G. H
Topher
Jun 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
No cape, No leotards, no powers

So, if you've just bought Scrivener and have never used a program before, this may prove useful. There is almost no documentation on how to use the suggested features. On the bright side, there are some affiliate links in
Gordana
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: For the novice as well as experienced authors
I received Scrivener Superpowers by M.G. Heron as a pre-publication beta-reader. I have noticed that ever since writers began using the Scrivener there was a variety of approaches and ‘’decoding’’ of its use. M.G. Herron’s book is somewhat different.
Scrivener is a word processor, an organizational and productivity tool and ebook compiler that gives a birds-eye view of story and automates the process of drafting, editing and even formatting the novel where the writer can manipulate the structure
James
A great reference, from introductory to detailed levels - Scrivener is one of the best pieces of software I've found for organizing a writing project, and this is the best book I've found yet on using it.
Scrivener (available from Literature & Latte in Mac and Windows versions) is a sort of combination word processor, outliner, and spreadsheet. It allows the writer to simultaneously view a word processing window, a multi-level "outliner" folder tree with collapsible and expandable levels, and a p
Stan Skrabut
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
Over the past six months, I have been working on writing a book. The process was initially slow going but it has increased in pace due to a program called Scrivner. Scrivner is a wonderful program designed with the writing process in mind. However, Scrivner is not necessarily the most intuitive program. There are a lot of internal settings that must be adjusted. This is where Matt Herron's book, Scrivener Superpowers: How to Use Cutting-Edge Software to Energize Your Creative Writing Practice, c ...more
Fionn Jameson
Less a Scrivener manual than a general book on writing.
Gordana Simonovic
Ever since writers began using the Scrivener there was a variety of approaches and ‘’ decoding’’ of its use. M.G. Herron’s book is somewhat different.
Scrivener is a word processor, an organizational and productivity tool and an ebook compiler that gives a birds-eye view of the story and automates the process of drafting, editing and even formatting the novel where the writer can manipulate the structure of a document to the maximum effect.
To understand Scrivener’s features, M.G. Herron adopted
Mattias
It is a very basic read, so if you are already familiar with Scrivener you should maybe skip this one. But for the novice user, it is a great reference book. Throughout the book, the author recommends a few books by other authors, and I have found quite a few gems this way.
Troy
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very informative and easy to read.

Mr. Herron does an awesome job of explaining a fairly complicated subject. I am new user of Scrivener and Mr. Herron's book has made me very excited to get started on my next writing project.
Ed Gosney
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you're new to Scrivener, this is a good book to get, filled with practical information about using the software, along with customized templates you can download.
Bruce Smith
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A useful how to book on using Scrivener. I gained several kernels of information to make the writing life easier while using scrivener.
Lou Yuhasz
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A couple of months ago, right before the Holidays, I received an email asking if I would like to beta read a manuscript for an E-Book on Scrivener. The author, M.G. Herron read Byzantine Roads, and included a link to the Lester Dent Pulp Fiction Template.

Well Of Course I said yes.

I was impressed with the book, made several suggestions, and am proud to see the book published.

Matt's done a wonderful job, and the finished Product, Scrivener Superpowers: How to Use Cutting-Edge Software to Energize
A.M.
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, i-own
I love Scrivener but I know it is a very deep pool and I am merely splashing in the shallow end. I read a lot about writing and I was constantly hearing how writers used the program in different ways; from writing a manuscript all the way to setting up a file of their book ready for printing as a paperback or ebook in the various formats. And yes, I read the enormous pdf help file that comes with the program.
I use Scrivener to write, to store all my blog posts, to store my Goodreads reviews and
Erik
Recommends it for: Authors, Novelists, Writers
My first impression and fear for Scrivener Superpowers was that this was going to be another “how to use software” book. I could not have been more wrong. The book has so much more to offer than those other software books for the less than bright. I have used Scrivener for several years, but only the very simplest of features. This book provided me with a better understanding of how even the basic features can help in my writing process. This book is so much more than a simply how to, it is a Ho ...more
Elena Brabant
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Before I read this book I have heard a lot about Scrivener. But life is so busy right now, that spending time and money for obtaining and learning a new software seemed like too much versus opening the good old word and starting to type. I did find word hideous in terms of research and questions and comments that I wanted to clarify though.
Because of that I was looking for a push over the cliff of investing into Scrivener.
This book delivered a nice blow. ))) In the first part (not according to t
Scott Jordan
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Having never used Scrivener being asked to review this book was probably a good idea to see if the book was useful to a beginner vs. useful to an expert.

I started by getting a 30 day free trial of the software and then after I installed it I took a project off my shelf and got to work. I admit I skipped the section of other authors and what they said about the software. I headed to Part 3 How to write a story in Scrivener.

The software is like anything you try going to take a little while to get
Debra Lobel
Better Writing with Scrivener Superpowers

I have been using Scrivener for two years to write my books. I went through some tutorials but never felt there was any big deal about the software. Then I read Mr. Herron’s book and started using all the different features of the software. Almost immediately, my writing productivity improved.

I had been using Scrivener more as a word processer than a writing tool. As Mr. Herron points out, Scrivener is not linear. When used correctly, Scrivener helps wri
Mirel
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
January was the month that I had slated to finally learn how to use Scrivener properly. I began by reading the manual (which could use some editing!) and was left more confused than enlightened. Luckily, one day I opened my email and found an offer for a free pre-launch copy of Scrivener Superpowers in return for my honest review. So here it is:

Pros:
Scrivener Superpowers is an easy read.

At first I questioned the section where several authors spoke of how they used Scrivener for their writing p
Trevann Rogers
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I bought my first copy of Scrivener as a result of attempting Nanowrimo a few years ago. Since then I have watched tutorials, bought two books on the program, and attended two all day workshops. Each time I thought I understood how to use the program until I got into the actual writing. Then I had to choose between spending hours learning the program or writing my book. I chose to write my book. I opened the program a few times with other projects only to get frustrated and go back to my old me ...more
Regina Banis
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Although I’ve heard of Scrivener, I had never tried it prior to reading Scrivener Superpowers. The author, M.G. Herron, takes a practical, hands-on approach to explaining Scrivener. Herron starts the book by explaining why he uses the program. Herron next shares interviews with six authors who explain why and how they use Scrivener to write articles, blog posts and books.

He suggests downloading a trial version of Scrivener, and then takes you through the program, step-by-step, explaining it clea
Igor Namus
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have been using Scrivener for few months now and it still has lots of things hidden but for beginner to average user of the program this book does go over all the basics. It explains well the elements on your screen and goes into deeper details also on some areas.

It is very handy reference and pleasing to read for people struggling with Scrivener and hoping to have easier way to just do the writing without perusing over the included manual for how things work. Scrivener is relatively easy aft
Bryan Johnston
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you're a writer, you've probably heard of Scrivener, and if you haven't, go to their website (https://www.literatureandlatte.com/sc...) immediately. Right now. Purchase it. It's the best $45 you'll ever spend on your writing.

The one issue that many of us have with Scrivener, though, is the steep initial learning curve. That's where Scrivener Superpowers by M.G. Herron comes in. He walks you through the basics, from start to finish, guiding you from installing the program, setting up your firs
Sandy Parsons
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, writing
I have a kind of chicken or the egg conundrum with this book. When I first bought Scrivener I went through the tutorial that came with it, and while I gleaned a lot from that process, I glossed over a lot too. I've been using the basics of Scrivener for a while now, and so this guide at first felt too basic. But it did offer some good ideas for modifying templates, creating storyboards, and a helpful plan for when you get stuck in one of those frightening revision traps. I read it on a kindle pa ...more
Al Macy
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to-write, ebook
This excellent book has several different parts to it.

First, it has an introduction to the basic parts and functions of Scrivener.

Next, it discusses some general writing tips, and how to use Scrivener to implement those. For example, it suggests ways to set writing targets and measure your progress.

Finally, it has highlights of interviews with six different authors who use Scrivener. This section is particularly useful if you aren't convinced you want to switch from your current word processor
Rie
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was quite helpful to me. I have been considering the idea of getting Scrivener for a couple years but hesitated because I didn't want to spend money for something I felt I could do on what I already had and because I hate learning new programs. After reading this book, I could easily see how Scrivener would be valuable to me as a writer, and it explained things well enough I no longer felt uncomfortable using it. The explanations were simple and easy to interpret. Also, it not only exp ...more
A. Gulden
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I personally find technical book writing style dry (like toast). Scrivener Superpowers is NOT written that way. Instead, it’s written in a more approachable, friendly style.

I have been using Scrivener for some time now, however, I am always on the look out for new books to teach me more on how to use it efficiently. Did I learn anything new from Scrivener Superpowers? Yes, I did. Because, in Scrivener Superpowers, the advice or information on how to use Scrivener does not come from only one per
Waldo Wesley
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The information in this book will make your work easier if you write fiction or non-fiction. Scrivener Superpowers is easy to read. The interviews in the second section offer unique insights into other author's views about the program and how they use it.
Part 3 of the book leads the reader step by step through the process of writing a story or novel with Scrivener. Clear instructions show how to use the program for creating structure, character, setting and on to completion and compilation of yo

• 5,000 Words Per Hour: Write Faster, Write Smarter
  • Karnera
  • Rescued (Andy Carpenter, #17)
  • Lifelong Writing Habit: The Secret to Writing Every Day
  • My Name is (state your name), and I am a Writer (The "My Name Is..." Series)
  • 55 Ways To Meditate: Discover Yourself
  • Locomotion
  • The First Rule of Punk
  • All the Greys on Greene Street
  • Eventown
  • Story Trumps Structure: How to Write Unforgettable Fiction by Breaking the Rules
  • The Lost Girl
  • The Flick
I write science fiction and fantasy under the pen name M. G. Herron.

My full name is Matthew Gilbert Herron. I was born in 1988 and go by Matt among my friends. Books and reading have always been close to my heart. I love epic fantasies and fast-paced action adventure novels. I love literature, the dusty vanilla smell of old paperbacks, and turns of phrase that make your skin prickle.

My love of wri