Start by marking “Domain-Driven Design Distilled” as Want to Read:
Domain-Driven Design Distilled

Domain-Driven Design Distilled

Domain-Driven Design (DDD) software modeling delivers powerful results in practice, not just in theory, which is why developers worldwide are rapidly moving to adopt it. Now, for the first time, there's an accessible guide to the basics of DDD: What it is, what problems it solves, how it works, and how to quickly gain value from it. Concise, readable, and actionable, Dom ...more
Published June 2nd 2016 by Addison-Wesley Professional

To ask other readers questions about Domain-Driven Design Distilled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Domain-Driven Design Distilled

Start your review of Domain-Driven Design Distilled
Yevgeniy Brikman
Nov 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
I have not read other DDD books, so I grabbed this one as a quick intro to decide if I wanted to dive deeper. My conclusion: either DDD is a useless pile of nonsense, or this book, much like homeopathy, has distilled the original material to such an extent that there is nothing left of value.

The book provides no context around DDD. What motivated the creation of DDD? What problems does DDD solve? Who should use it? At what stage of a project should you use it? What are the alternativ
Rod Hilton
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I kind of always had this hunch that Domain-Driven Design was something of a buzzword fad, that it likely described something I was already doing regularly and that the book and the approach likely just lent formality and terminology to common sense activities. After all, the biggest thing I see referenced seems to be this Ubiquitous Language stuff, which I think just means using the same nouns for stuff as the domain experts, which I try to do anyway so I'm sure I'm already doing everything in ...more
Vincent Verhoeven
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Vernon is a longtime practitioner of DDD and as such, this book won't tell you any lies. However...

The book fails to accurately distill DDD to its core: iterative exploration of domain models together with business. Too much focus is put on the modelling artefacts. This book tries to reduce DDD to the mandatory use of a few of the most-known patterns in a very hierarchical way, claiming that this is enough to solve any problem in a DDD style.

Not only that, but the book al
Wouter
May 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
After breezing through this thin booklet, I can only come to two possible conclusions:
1) DDD cannot be distilled, or
2) DDD is about communication, and not about lot's of vague concepts and terms people love to read about in technical books.
The most important part is completely missing - why use DDD (or why not). Furthermore, if you manage to find something that peaks your interest, Vaughn simply refers to his fatter "implementing DDD" book and continues on to the next topic, pr
Isidro López
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the very first book I read about DDD, and I have enjoyed it.
Examples were very clear and reading it was very easy.
Maybe a little bit "superficial", but I guess being a "distilled" edition, you can not ask for more.

The only thing that I didn't like at all is having a continuous and periodic reminder (more than 30 times!!) from the author that we could find much more detail in his "Implementing Domain-Driven Design" book.

It was quite annoying, to be honest: once at
Regis Hattori
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: architecture
I have already read Domain-Driven Design from Eric Evans and Implementing Domain-Driven Design from Vaughn Vernon and I think it is a good alternative to review the subject without reading tons of pages from the two books cited before. Besides that, this book better explains some topics when compared to its predecessors and focus on the most important parts from an architecture perspective. But I do not recommend this book as an introduction to the subject.
Robin Vercammen
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great start, hungry for a deeper dive
Marko Kunic
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you never heard about Bounded Contexts, Ubiquitous Language, Strategic Design, Subdomains, Context Mapping, Aggregates and Domain Events, then this book that will explain all the basics you need to know and get you up to speed and into the DDD world.
Sebastian Gebski
I think I've read all the 'key' books about DDD (blue, red, PPP of DDD), so my goal wasn't to learn anything from this book. I wanted to fix another problem - sadly, surprisingly many people have trouble with going through blue book: it's not a trivial read, especially for someone inexperienced, who haven't encountered actual problems with complex domain modelling. So I've wanted to check whether this booklet could be a sufficient substitute for such a person - is such a primer good enough to ge ...more
Kacper Gunia
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's a quite ok distillation of DDD knowledge you can find in other books, and also quite nice summary of what is popular at the moment in community. Where it didn't meet my expectations is:
- author (when he announced the book at the conference) promised the book will be aimed to Business, but it's still quite technical and I'm not sure if it's going to help business users
- I have a feeling that this book is to some extent an advertisement of other books / services author offers, whi
Gaelan D'costa
Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Some background: I am a intermediate/senior-cusp SRE. I have spent the last year working to take our single-tenant AWS EC2 monolithic deployments and getting it working via container-based deploys, with the future looking towards multi-tenancy and carving up new and old features into microservices. As our company has grown I have had to think about our future scalability from ideation to maintenance, as well as deal with the ramifications of our previous non-scalable iterations.

This
Al Chou
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This book needs a good re-editing. Domain-Driven-Design-specific terms, which are somewhat annoyingly ALWAYS printed capitalized and italicized (not just upon first appearance/definition) are often circularly defined or defined simply by repeating the same words, just de-capitalized and de-italicized. A few times, the definitions of terms occur long after they are first used.

Aside from the middling-quality-blog-post level of writing, this book is reasonably valuable as a short introd
Peter Rybarczyk
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've been reading this book longer than I expected, but I think that was worth it.
If you are looking for a book that presents core parts od DDD in a truly distilled way, you are looking for this book.
It will explain to you all the basic concepts of a DDD with few bonuses like an Event Storming. Also, if we leave you with a big bunch of new questions but now you should know how to search for the answers and where you can find them.

In Summary,
* read it
- when you are a beginner
Ieva Gr
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: technical
Truly distilled – light and easy to read. Read it in half a day.

But that also brings some disadvantages with it. Most of the content is overview level, just explaining the concepts with graphs and diagrams. If you already have some experience with DDD most of it should be known to you by now. And if you want to start on DDD from scratch that is also probably not the book to go to cos it won’t warn you about potential issues enough.

The book is best match for someone that is joining a team worki
Toni Tassani
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-owned
It'a a short book, but is a little bit messy in the structure and conclusions. It lost me completely when he used the analogy of languages in countries as an example of a bounded context. And also when the main example in the book is about Agile Project Management using Scrum.
The parts of Bounded Context, Ubiquitous Language, Event Sourcing and Aggregates is properly explained, as well as the Event Storming facilitation technique.
Then again some noise around No Estimates, Kanban and
Brian
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overview if you already know a bit about the topic

Good content, but a rough intro to DDD. It was hard to get through the first few chapters of definitions before anything practical is described. Several in our company book club just quit because they couldn’t get through the first half. Wish it went into a little more detail and examples on the benefits - sort of seems like just an teaser for his longer book.
Thomas Frütel
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book presents a very condensed overview on the topic of DDD. I got some valuable insights from it, especially the chapter on Event Storming was very helpful. Still, I feel like I didn't get all the finer details I might need to get a complete grasp on the topic, so I plan to read the more verbose Implementing Domain Driven Design by the same author some time soon.
Víctor
May 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: technical
A good introduction to DDD. The author shows the concepts without loosing himself in implementation details for which he provides follow up reads.

Whilst the book is useful as a shallow introduction for this approach to modeling, I don't agree on the take this author poses on how to integrate the introduced event-sourcing techniques within an agile framework.
Oleg Prozorov
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: design
The book presents high-level descriptions of different aspects of DDD and low level description of Event Storming. I can't imagine target audience for this book. Still I'm looking forward to read Implementing Domain-Driven Design by the same author.
Jahongir Rahmonov
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are just learning DDD, this book is a must. Eric Evan's book is the most powerful one but it is pretty indigestible if you are not familiar with DDD already. Thus, I suggest you start with this book then go ahead an read the full version and then Eric Evan's book.
Michael Mcdermott
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Succinct intro to DDD. I think you would still need other resources on your first project, but this gets you familiar with the basic concepts. If you've built software before, it will illustrate or underscore some good ideas.
Kevin
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: development
Great book that is obviously an intro and high-level overview of Domain-Driven Design. I found it helpful and looking forward to reading it's big brother: Implementing Domain-Driven Design. It could have been helped with more time spent on what problems DDD is meant to fix.
Alper Kose
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a good reference book for quick lookups on DDD topics. It doesn't go into too much detail with the subjects and is very easy to read. But it feels like it may only be used as an introduction to DDD or an easy reference for later use.
Alan
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A brief overview which can act as good reminder material. If you want an indepth discussion then the author's Implementing Domain-Driven Design does a good job of backing up the theory with very practical examples.
Ben Bunk
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Fairly logical. Chapter 2 and 7 are the only ones I would read.
Farhodjon
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Nice book as an introduction to DDD, but I think this book is better than this: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
Philippe
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good. DDD. CQRS, Event Sourcing. Ubiquitous language. Bounded Context.
Arun Sasidharan
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
A good primer on DDD. Would definitely recommend reading the "blue book" after this.
Ilyes Hachani
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As an introduction to DDD this a good starting point. It offers basic understand of DDD goals and presents some tools to create better software. Now it is time to grab the next book in the series.
Ahmed Chicktay
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a good refresher of DDD, and will teach you the core ideas. For details refer to the more in depth books.
Good Start! 1 9 Mar 28, 2016 07:42AM

• The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Soft Skills: The Software Developer's Life Manual
  • Test Driven Development: By Example
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • Domain-Driven Design in PHP
  • Domain-Driven Design Reference: Definitions and Pattern Summaries
  • Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“This often happens due to the pressure to deliver software releases on a relentless schedule, where management uses Scrum to primarily control timelines rather than allow for one of Scrum’s most important tenets: knowledge acquisition.” 0 likes
“Developers are too wrapped up with technology and trying to solve problems using technology rather than careful thought and design. This leads developers to constantly chase after new “shiny objects,” which are the latest fads in technology.” 0 likes