Start by marking “Eyes Like Lighthouses When the Boats Come Home” as Want to Read:
Eyes Like Lighthouses When the Boats Come Home

Eyes Like Lighthouses When the Boats Come Home

Eyes Like Lighthouses is Dane Cobain’s first book of poetry, distilled from the sweat of a thousand memorised performances in this reality and others. It’s not for the faint-hearted.

“I’ve never seen anyone do a stream of consciousness piece as talented as that. Very impressed.” – Mark Allard-Will, author of Saskatch-A-Man and co-founder of Cuckoo’s Nest Press

“Dane’s poetr
Paperback
Published February 29th 2016 by Booktrope

To ask other readers questions about Eyes Like Lighthouses When the Boats Come Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eyes Like Lighthouses When the Boats Come Home

Start your review of Eyes Like Lighthouses When the Boats Come Home
Whispering Stories
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it
It took me a long time to get into this book as, at first glance, the prospect of 103 aggressive and fairly depressing poems seemed quite daunting. After a while I jumped to the Afterword at the back and that helped me appreciate that these were all written to be performed in small venues as part of music or comic open mic evenings. I then started reading them out loud and they made more sense. I also could then see the collection was broken up into nine suites or albums, presumably written at d ...more
Katie
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Steel yourself for this one, there’s a lot of grit in these poems by Dane Cobain.
There are not many pleasantries here: Love is a ball ache, everything is awful, and death is a junkie.
Cobain writes, seemingly, about anything that gets in his way, and grabs at subjects with spontaneity, and his distinctive spoken word style.
In many of his poems Cobain almost appears to be a wise all knowing figure, like a Yoda, with his plain speaking views that seem so simple. (In poem My religion Cobain lays d
Jaffa Kintigh
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Rough around the edges, this poetry collection reflects its raw slam poetry roots without the benefit of editing or reworking to confirm that there's sense and context to the sounds and beats laid down. Like an REM song, the sounds maybe be pleasant, but that doesn't always translate to coherence. It's more akin to a Facebook rant that one agrees with, but which doesn't enlighten us.

That's not to say that there aren't some lines, verses and poems rising above the non-specific and idiomatic. Ther
Dhwani Swadia
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Read full review here: https://thereandtheir.com/2016/06/30/...

This is a poetry book like none other. You could call it “modern poetry”.

The topics that the author takes up strong themes and the author provides an excellent take on each topic. This book is definitely not for the faint-hearted, and it does contain some cuss words, but for me, these words gave a distinctive flavor to these poems.
BetweenLinesAndLife
Raw, honest and necessary! Many powerful and memorable lines. Modern poetry as modern poetry should be!
Rajalakshmi Prithviraj
I had read Dane's debut novella No Rest For The Wicked and had liked it. So I picked up this collection of poems with a hope to read wonderful poetry. Sadly, I was disappointed.

For me, poetry in any form is worth its salt if it succeeds in stirring up emotions within me. This anthology had no such effect on me. It was the language used that kind of put me off. It had loads of abuses. Agreed, as a modern day performance, such usage was in demand. But for me, poetry means a beautiful message or pi
J.D. DeHart
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From the very beginning, author Dane Cobain shows his talent for wordplay in Eyes Like Lighthouses When the Boats Come Home. The title alone is an image in itself. There is fanciful verbiage here, with the pieces of the poems linking together lyrically – and some lines with quite an edge. Quite a few edgy lines, in fact (note the advisory on the cover). Sometimes the poet smiles as he describes the world with these jarring words.

The poems in this collection convey a range of emotions and descrip
TheCosyDragon
Dec 30, 2017 rated it did not like it

Although I loved another of Cobain’s novels, Former.ly and his other, No Rest for the Wicked, was ok, I’m just not into poetry. Thus I am letting this one into the wild to be free. Someone else who loves poetry will probably appreciate it, and I wish them luck (and hope they decide to read Dane’s novels as well).
Mliae
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this collection of poetry. I'm not usually a poetry person, but the way Dane Cobain writes about current issues really caught my attention! I must admit that this is the first book of poetry that I actually enjoyed reading! It is so easy to imagine oneself in a live poetry read, hearing these verses. I would highly recommend this book!
Angie
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great selection of thought provoking, emotional and some humorous poems. Fantastic layout to the book and interesting to read. Some explicit content.
Neil Denham
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I bought this collection of poetry at the Authors book launch in High Wycombe, and had some idea what to expect as I have seen Dane perform these poems live on many occasions.

It was really great to be able to read the poems at my own pace (Dane delivers them at a fairly frantic speed!) and discover some of the themes within.

From slower self reflection on how the poet, (or the lover) uses language (the words are just words/that fade away) to fast paced 'beat' poems (Learning to take instructions)
Ashley Tomlinson
Aug 01, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a collection of poetry which I've never read before. To be honest, I haven't read any poetry since I graduated high school, maybe a little in college. Since I finished school I've never had the urge to pick up any poetry.

There were definitely some poems that I liked more than others and some that just didn't quite click with me. I liked how raw some seemed while others felt polished. I really liked Stallyns, from the first line until the last, I really liked it.

Even though I'm not a po
Cassandra
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
I recevied a complimentary copy.

I gave this a two star because I felt like it was an emperor's new clothes scenario that went over my head. It was filled with lewd language and I just could not wrap my head around the meanings. Maybe I lack the common knowledge of poetry or perhaps there is not total poetry there at all. I could not see myself reading this outloud or discussing it with anyone in a way that I could really grasp. In the end I find this went beyond my realm of comprehension and I d
Joshua Gage
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Overall, Eyes Like Lighthouses When the Boats Come Home by Dane Cobain is a sincere collection of poetry. Cobain is horrified by the ills of modern society, and writes to critique them. This is all well and good, and we need our poets to be prophets and critics. However, the lack of basic poetic craft—imagery, metaphor, etc.—in the bulk of his lines leads to a poetry without depth or substance.

Full review here: http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/r...
Roger
Dec 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book is a pathetic moron's attempt to write poetry. It is a book of senseless ramblings and no substance. There isn't one halfway decent poem in it.
Chrissy Dyer
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dane Cobain gives us raw, disturbing, yet truthful poetry. It may be a bit disturbing, but sometimes the truth can be disturbing.
Allyn Artates
Erynn Wilson
Aug 19, 2018
Oli Jacobs
Oct 25, 2018
Dane Cobain (High Wycombe, UK) is a published author, freelance writer, poet and (occasional) musician with a passion for language and learning. When he’s not working on his next release, he can be found reading and reviewing books for his award-winning book blog, SocialBookshelves.com, while trying not to be distracted by Wikipedia. His releases include No Rest for the Wicked(supernatural thrille ...more