Start by marking “Captain Pug: The Dog Who Sailed the Seas” as Want to Read:
Captain Pug: The Dog Who Sailed the Seas

Captain Pug: The Dog Who Sailed the Seas

(The Adventures of Pug #1)

Pug is going on a seafaring adventure. He's had jam tarts for breakfast. He's wearing a smart sailor suit. There's just one problem. Pug is afraid of the water!

Captain Pug is the first book in a glorious new illustrated series for fans of Claude and Squishy McFluff
Published May 5th 2016 by Bloomsbury Childrens

Start your review of Captain Pug: The Dog Who Sailed the Seas
Jason
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don't get what the appeal of Pugs are but they seem to be slowly taking over the world and both my kids love them.

This book contains some lovely illustrations, a lot of care has been taken drawing Captain Pug and you can't help but laugh at a few of the scenes. The story flows nicely, a good little adventure with a bit of mild danger. Seeing as my youngest is a big fan of pugs she absolutely loved the book, she did have one concern though, Captain Pug did seem to be eating a lot of cakes, she
Rachael  Fryman
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Super cute story about a girl and her dog! Pug loves eating and Lady Miranda. When she wants him to be a Captain for the day, he gives it his all even when he's afraid. Cute story, cute pictures. I imagine the reading experience would have been better with the physical book than the epub version I read. I think my elementary students would LOVE this book.

I received this title as an e-galley from NetGalley and Bloomsbury USA Children's.
Jackie Law
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Captain Pug: The Dog Who Sailed the Seas, by Laura James (illustrated by Églantine Ceulemans) is the first in a series of humorous action adventure stories for children. Pug the dog is loyal friend and companion to Lady Miranda, a young girl who lives with her friendly attendants at No. 10, The Crescent. In this story she is invited to a birthday party at a boating lake. Excited by the prospect of a seafaring adventure she declares that she will make Pug a captain. Pug is unsure of his ...more
Nancy Kotkin
The first title in a children's chapter book series about the adventures of a girl and her pug dog. A couple of things about this book confused me. The first is the lack of parents. I realize the parents aren't central to the story, but there is no mention of Lady Miranda even having any parents, or a guardian. There is a housekeeper and two "footmen" but none of these characters claim parental responsibility for the child.

My other area of confusion is the time period in which the story takes
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a print copy of this title from the publisher for review.

Ten Second Synopsis:
A pug struggles to live up to his owner's dream that he become a seafaring dog. Can Pug overcome his fear of water to take on the mantle (and sweet little outfit) of Captain Pug?

I am always a little skeptical of advertising material that insinuates that a reader will love this new book if they are a fan of an already published author or work, particularly when all the stories have in common is the fact that a
Mehsi
I just adore pugs, and love it when they are featured in children's books. So you can imagine that when I saw this one being mentioned on Twitter, I just had to pre-order it immediately.

And for magical (but very delightful) reasons this one got delivered 2 days ago, even though it is apparently supposed to not come out until May. Oh well, I am delighted that I can read this book sooner, I was really counting down the weeks until it would come out.

And boy, boy, I just loved this book so much. It
Ewan
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What was the story about?
Captain Pug is a dog. Pug is afraid of the water. Pug got brave and swam and he did save Lady Miranda.

Who were the characters?
Wendy, Pug, Lady Miranda, Running footman.

What did you like about the book?
Ice cream, Pug liked Jam tarts, Pug is afraid of the water.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This is the first book in a series about a pug. My daughter recently got a jug (half pug, half jack russell) so this book intrigued me and definitely interested my grandson. It was about the humorous adventures of a cute little pug. He is owned by Lady Miranda who has been invited to a party where there will be paddle boats. She dresses pug in a captain's suit and he becomes Captain Pug. Once they arrive at the park, they get separated and the fun begins. Captain Pug decides that he must become ...more
Patricia
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, humor, children-s
A perfectly stupid story about a pug dog and his owner MIranda who is so privileged she has two footmen to deliver her to a boating party in a sedan chair. Sort of revolting and unbelievable in not a good way. Still there is something about that dog that gets under your skin.
Sophie
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
SO much fun. This book is a brilliant read for young kids. And Pug is just adorable! Great work from Laura James, and wonderful illustrations from Églantine Ceulemans.
Breanna Prokop
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Summary:
This Pug lives the life of luxury. Pug loves to do almost everything with his owner Lady Miranda. He likes to stay at home most of the time and unlike most dogs, he isn’t the biggest fan of the water. One-night Lady Miranda and Pug attend a birthday party on the boating lake. Since it’s on the water, Lady Miranda dresses Pug in a captain’s uniform. On Pug’s adventure to search for more jam tarts, (his favorite snack) he gets separated from Lady Miranda. In order to get reunited with his
Eve beinguniquebooks
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you like Pug dogs or animals at all, this is a fun read for any little one's. I have five young cousins all from newborn to five with which I read children's books with/to when they try to take over reading the book which I highly encourage them to do so.

Captain Pug is one that I feel is great for kids. Not only is it a fun story but as pug goes on a variety of forms of water transport, rowing boat, see's pedalos, goes on an ocean liner etc it teaches kids forms of transport and highlights
Diana
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Captain Pug is a cute new illustrated series staring an adorable pug dog and his owner Lady Miranda. In this first book, pug sets out to be a captain of the sea, finds that he doesn't like water, and gets into a wild adventure along the way. The dog is super cute and his inner thoughts are just what you'd think a little dog would think. The illustrator, a French woman, illustrates with simple drawings and pops of color. This is a familiar style if you've read something like Eloise.
My one
Meg
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
A great step in between most "reader" level books and beginning chapter books. This 123-page volume features chapters that are long enough for young readers to sit thorough, and that feature words / sentences these readers may even be able to read on their own. A great starting point to whet the appetite for chapter books and reading. The plot is short and simple enough to follow for young readers, but holds enough suspense to keep their attention for the duration of the book.

This volume also
Danielle Booey
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
Pug lives with his human companion Lady Miranda and spends his days in luxury inside of a townhouse eating jam tarts to his heart's content. This all changes when they go to spend an afternoon at the lake and Pug clad in a tiny Captain's outfit wanders into an open picnic bus and is whisked all over on a seafaring adventure to boats, lakes, canoe races, and finally a cruise ship.

It is a lovely story about companionship and making the best of your situation as you make your way back to someone.
Martha
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: k-3-chapter-book
Captain Pug is such fun! Accompanied by young Lady Miranda, the perky pug with his self assured owner are reminiscent in the best possible way, of Eloise and her pug. These two free spirits who follow their own whims with total abandon to convention are delightful. Hopefully there will be sequels for this dynamic duo. The bold ink and color whimsical illustrations bring this hilarious tale extra zest.
Denise Kawaii
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book isn't for advanced readers, but it was PERFECT to be the first book my 5 year old read aloud to me. The pictures are cute and frequent enough to engage young readers, the wibbley wobbley text is fun to read, and the silliness of some of the situations Pug finds himself in cracked my kid up as he was reading.

Highly recommend this for transitioning young readers from short stories to longer works.
Joanne
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
A cute, funny story about a Pug who’s owner dresses him up as a Captain of a ship, takes him out for the day where he then ends up starting an adventure inside a picnic basket, and encouraged away by several strangers who don’t care that his owner is no where to be found...
This aside, it’s a fun book for children with wonderfully bright illustrations, and I did have a little giggle!
orangerful
Cute little early chapter book, great for kids who are just starting out with the longer reads. Pug is adorable and his main goal in life is finding strawberry tarts so I could identify with his struggle. :)
Miss Sarah
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
A dog and his owner are operated while at a birthday party by the sea and the dog has quit the adventure trying to prove he can be a real captain. Silly and easy to read. Beginning chapter readers.
Perfumegirl
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Cute little book, read it to see if my older granddaughter might like it, she likes Pugs ~ its listed as middle-grade, but I think a little too childish for middle grade, would be a good book for a chapter reader, maybe 7 or 8 yr old.
Erin
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read for my 8 and 5 year old. Books with a comedic tone while hearing the animals thoughts are enjoyable. They couldn’t wait to see what happened next. I appreciate kids books that both parents and kids can enjoy and this is certainly one of them.
Anthony
Pug and Lady Miranda head out for a seafaring adventure. Pug has to overcome in his fear of water to make the outing a success. Pug finds adventure after getting separated Lady Miranda. In his quest to find Lady Miranda he overcomes his fear of water, just in time to rescue his best friend.
James Koppert
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute, bright and cheerful children's book
MaryLibrarianOH
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet and funny story. Pug has an adventure, even though he would rather stay home. Lady Miranda comes off a little spoiled but she loves her dog. Hope there will be more.

Layout and word choices are just right for new chapter book readers. Also, a good read aloud.
Amanda Walz
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute story from a pug's point of view.
Beth
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dog-books, children
A darling early chapter book about a reluctant sea captain known as Pug.
Julie
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny, easy chapter book. Similar to Mercy Watson series.
Rachel Coyne
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Charming and silly. We've ore-ordered the second book!
Kristy
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Adorable first chapter book about a pug who loves food and who accidentally has an adventure at sea.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths
  • Pugs of the Frozen North
  • The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken (Chicken Squad Misadventure #2)
  • Amelia Fang and the Unicorn Lords
  • A New Friend (The Adventures of Sophie Mouse, #1)
  • Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball
  • Detective Gordon: The First Case
  • The First Misadventure (Chicken Squad Misadventure #1)
  • Pathological Demand Avoidance Syndrome - My Daughter is Not Naughty
  • The Shark in the Pool (Wigglesbottom Primary)
  • The Magic Hamster (Wigglesbottom Primary)
  • Wigglesbottom Primary: The Toilet Ghost
  • Wigglesbottom Primary: Super Dog!
  • A Moon Girl Stole My Friend
  • Who Wet My Pants?
  • Pug vs. Pug (Puppy Pirates #6)
  • Patches (The Puppy Place, #8)
  • Another
Laura James worked on projects including Veronica Guerin and Slumdog Millionaire before signing herself up for Bath Spa’s MA in Writing for Young People. The adventures of Pug are based on the antics of her very own adventurous dogs, Brian and Florence. Laura lives in the West Country.

The Adventures of Pug (4 books)
  • Cowboy Pug
  • Safari Pug (The Adventures of Pug)
  • Pirate Pug: The Dog Who Rocked The Boat