Start by marking “The Art of Living Other People's Lives: Stories, Confessions, and Memorable Mistakes” as Want to Read:

When he isn't responsible for pleasing tens of millions of online readers a month as the managing editor of Elite Daily, Greg Dybec worries about rent, sex, love, family, and--the most millennial topic of them all--a desire to leave a legacy. In The Art of Living Other People's Lives, Greg delivers a funny, brash, insightful collection of stories on becoming a pick-up arti ...more
Published January 3rd 2017 by Running Press Adult

Bil
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Millennials
Shelves: nonfiction, humor, memoir
Life . . . is awkward and confusing and full of bad sex and spilled coffee, and those are the memories we shouldn’t just throw a pretty filter over.

When we neglect those imperfect moments, we miss a chance for real growth.

The Art of Living Other People's Lives, is a must-read for the new generation.

Greg Dybec delivered one of the most honest books that I’ve ever read. The collection of essays that varied from short memoirs to confessions and even to self-helps revealed many aspects of the author
Clumsy Storyteller
I loved the first half of this book, i wasn't blown away by it. So.... 3 stars.

Full review on my other account

mei
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kesukaan
THANKS GREG FOR WRITING THIS BOOK!!!!

dan btw saya seneng banget di notice Greg di twitter pas saya mention lagi baca buku ini ke dia xD

Google play book merekomendasikan buku ini dan memberikan diskon 75% pada saya. waktu itu saya nggak tau ini buku apa, dan karena potongan harganya sangat menarik (dari harga asli 239.000) serta sampulnya yang superlucu, saya pun membeli dan sangat tidak menyesal.

kalau kamu bertanya buku macam apa yang ingin kamu tulis maka mungkin buku ini salah satu jawaban sa
Petra
Dec 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Confession time: I had no idea who Greg Dybec was until I started reading this, and I had never visited (or even heard of) the Elite Daily website. In case, if like me, you are a not a millennial, Greg Dybec is the managing editor of Elite Daily, which apparently is a popular site and The Voice of Generation Y. In this collection of anecdotes and memories, Greg covers a wide range of topics in an easy-to-read, humorous manner.
Greg is half my age and the same age as one of my daughters. In spite
Didi
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, ebook, netgalley
Fast and easy read. It's kinda strange to read a biography of someone a decade younger. Guess what I did after I finished reading; a visit to the Elite Daily, of course!
Khadidja Megaache
Jun 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comedy, nonfiction
I loved the first half of this book, i wasn't blown away by it. So.... 3 stars.

I was ambivalent about his first chapter about "snooping on people's private thoughts"(questions asked in searching engine) although the identity and location of the person remained unknown to him I felt like it was a violation at some extent of their privacy.

There are pros and cons to everything in this book. Especially his first confession. Although I was amazed by it, I didn't quiet like it. The confession being
Auderoy Lin
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
FAV QUOTES:

For me, this book is a kind of confessional.

When we neglect those imperfect moments, we miss a chance for real growth.

If life is indeed all about balance, then it’s important to embrace the imperfect and the strange. If we lose that personal honesty, then whom exactly are we living for—ourselves or everyone else? Who knows, maybe it’ll always be a little bit of both. I’m still trying to figure that out, one step, click, swipe, and text at a time.
Or maybe someone out there is close to
Maria
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: love-the-cover
This was a really nice and funny book, I did't knew who Greg was before reading this nor his company but it was a pleasant surprise.
Jessica
Jul 16, 2016 rated it liked it
The Art of Living Other People's Lives: Stories, Confessions & Memorable Mistakes is a book that I didn't really know anything about when I was granted an ARC via Netgalley.

Greg Dybec is the editor for Elite Daily- a website that I've referred to only as clickbait for the past year or so with many of the articles popping up rudely in my Facebook stream.

This book was a really easy and light-hearted read. One thing that struck me and that was Dybec appears to be incredibly passionate and det
Shawna Thomas
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't know Greg Dybec personally, but after reading his collection of essays, I feel like I do -- his neuroses, the things that keep him awake at night, the interactions he has with friends and family -- they seem so familiar.

I felt connected to him in ways impossible for someone who lives forever away and who could never have -- and would never have -- the same experiences.

When Greg writes, it's like he dips his nib in elegance and scrawls thoughts, hopes and dreams that even pigeons could r
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Several short stories based on experiences by the author. Some were harder to relate to due to the generational gap, but most of them were very funny.
Candy
Nov 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Real insights into the minds of the millenials.
Herbert Lui
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't often read essay collections, but I'm happy I read this one. Greg's honesty and insight makes this an exciting and fulfilling read.
Jesse Nicole
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2018
"[My girlfriend] gets why I work such long hours and take on more than I can seemingly handle; a list that currently includes, but is not limited to, pleasing millions of Elite Daily readers, writing a book, traveling internationally to speak at media conferences, training for a marathon, reading books by only female authors for three consecutive months, and teaching myself the basics of American Sign Language."

UGH. I feel as if I just read over 200 pages written by the pretentious, privileged
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the yearbook of a generation: Greg Dybec's account of how to do it all and what happens to our brains when we can't. Because let's face it, our generation is expected to handle it all in stride: great schools, good-looking friends, a career worth bragging about and to back it all up, we need the social media followers to prove we're cool on top of all that. This self-portrait of a successful and adventurous guy-basically the kind of bloke you'd want to get stuck in line next to at the ba ...more
Mallory Jackson
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I won an Instagram contest, and was the lucky recipient of a copy of Greg's book, The Art of Living Other People's Lives. I had no idea what was in store for me, but was looking forward to this read.

From the very beginning my attention was kept by Greg's witty observations, some witty and wise, others self-aware and aloof. Millennials operate on such a spectrum of needing to be the smartest in the room, while maintaining a cool and well-liked persona. Greg laughs at himself and the world around
andreea
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
While reading the introduction I found myself thinking "Wow, this is going to be so interesting" and I really wanted to like it more than I actually did. I can't say that I didn't like it either but it was not quite what I had expected.
In the book, Greg tells different stories about himself in general: life, job, family, relationships. The first part of the book is really funny and it made me laugh a lot and this is the reason why I gave it 3 stars, but the second part got a little bit more "se
Micheal Peggins
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Greg does a beautiful job of storytelling. He makes you feel as if you are right there with him. the book is light hearted and extremely easy to read. I read this book as a recommendation from a friend and I was disappointed. the title makes it seem so fascinating, though the mini blurb leaves all to the imagination. The book is really just a quick collection of stories with no overarching theme. The author is good and I would give any future work a shot but I would hope it has something more va ...more
Debra Daniels-zeller
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I picked this book partly because it was on the "Staff Recommended" shelf at the library and partly because it has an intriguing cover and title. I loved the first two stories. And the last story, The Art of Living Other People's Lives makes me now suspect anyone with headphones and I'm wearing a pair and bringing a notebook. The author has a great sense of humor and the stories were entertaining.
Dorothy
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a really funny book. It is a series of short stories that reflect the lives of other people whose lives often interact with the author. I hate mice, but the story about trying to catch a super fast "New York mouse"in their Astoria NY apartment is super funny. It is a good read. I'd have given the 5, but I save that for books that are incredible.
Sinead E
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay so a friend recommended this to me and he really hyped it up, and while I enjoyed it, it wasn't the most amazing book ever. It was fun at times but other times I didn't understand why the title of the book corresponded with what he was writing and I got bored. Luckily, there were more good times then bad and it was a fun book. Underhyped by book lovers but overhyped by some.
~vatana~
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
I... don’t know how I got to the end, but I did. I picked this book up solely because I liked the title. I did have fun reading but I find the overall content quite underwhelming.

Greg Dybec sure knows how to write though.
Paula
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
This was... interesting. To say the least.
I don't know. Don't mind me I'm just finishing off books I've had since forever in my TBR list.
Crowei
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Georgia
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I actually really like it! It was fun, light-hearted and interesting.
Although the topics where almost the same as every book in this genre, I loved how the author told stories with a powerful meaning without being boring or predictable.
Encruzilhadas Literárias
Dec 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: cláudia
I will start this review by saying that I received an online copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange of a honest review.

I don't read essays quite often so I can't consider myself an expert and give a proper opinion on that subject. Despite that, I think a good essay collection should give us interesting and thoughtful subjects as well as a good dose of humor and daily basis moments in order to stand the author and the reader at the same level as human beings struggling to find their pace
Cat L
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Almost every single chapter of the book had humor or some type of relatable message for me. I like a good bit of sarcasm and this was right up there, but then the next chapter has stories of Grammy, Nanny and Pop. How can a Millennial have the same feelings as me towards their grandparents? Aren't these "kids" too absorbed in their computer screens to give a s**t about people over the age of 30?

The story of the family trip to Italy was one of my favorites. Parts of it seemed a little braggart (M
Saarah Niña
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Entertaining

I quite like this book: it was quirky, funny and relatable in many ways. I do admit I was a bit apprehensive about reading it, not so much as what would physically happen as a result of my reading it. Just that it might have me questioning certain things. I'm not quite as neurotic as the author though! I haven't developed to that stage, I can almost see him analysing my words to uncover a deeper meaning.

I did like the book, granted it was difficult to dislike when thinking about the
Castille
Sep 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I read a lot of memoir and loved the title, so I expected more from it. Dybec is a good writer and makes quirky, fun observations throughout his stories which almost all end with a reverse-funnel sort of mechanism where he uses the microcosm to draw parallels or conclusions about society and the world in which we live. I think anyone interested in pop culture or who likes reading Elite Daily (with the caveat that they also have the attention span to read a full-length book) would enjoy this book ...more
Shruti Ramanujam
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a collection of twenty stories from Dybec about his life experiences. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It did not feel like a book, it felt more like the author was a friend sitting next to me, telling me about the riveting encounters and experiences he has had in life.

Right from the beginning, the reader will get hooked. As Managing Editor of Elite Daily (yes, the site all over your social media feed), Dybec gives some interesting insights into the lives of people from the o
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Sjahrir: Peran Besar Bung Kecil
  • Pergolakan Pemikiran Islam: Catatan Harian Ahmad Wahib
  • Asexuality: A Brief Introduction
  • 'A9ama' Saya Adalah Jurnalisme
  • Tony Hawk: Professional Skateboarder
  • Kei: Kutemukan Cinta di Tengah Perang
  • Money for Nothing: One Man's Journey Through the Dark Side of Lottery Millions
  • Inventing Reality: The Politics of News Media
  • Writing Is My Drink: A Writer's Story of Finding Her Voice (and a Guide to How You Can Too)
  • Europe on 5 Wrong Turns a Day: One Man, Eight Countries, One Vintage Travel Guide
  • Rescue Ink: How Ten Guys Saved Countless Dogs and Cats, Twelve Horses, Five Pigs, One Duck,and a Few Turtles
  • Generasi 90an
  • Bad Boy
  • Mata yang Enak Dipandang
  • Si Parasit Lajang: Seks, Sketsa, & Cerita
  • Keep the Change: A Clueless Tipper's Quest to Become the Guru of the Gratuity
  • You Look Like That Girl: A Child Actor Stops Pretending and Finally Grows Up
  • Uggie--My Story
Greg Dybec is a New York City based writer and digital media professional. He is currently the managing editor of Elite Daily, the popular millennial publisher. He is a New York native and graduated from St. John's University with a degree in English. The Art of Living Other People's Lives is his first book.
“Siamo tutti estranei da qualche parte.

We're all strangers someplace.”
3 likes
“A good writer can fake being an expert in anything—even men's underwear.” 2 likes