Start by marking “The Art of Living Other People's Lives: Stories, Confessions, and Memorable Mistakes” as Want to Read:

When he isn't responsible for pleasing tens of millions of online readers a month as the managing editor of Elite Daily, Greg Dybec worries about rent, sex, love, family, and--the most millennial topic of them all--a desire to leave a legacy. In The Art of Living Other People's Lives, Greg delivers a funny, brash, insightful collection of stories on becoming a pick-up arti ...more
Published January 3rd 2017 by Running Press Book Publishers

Bil
Oct 30, 2016 Bil rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Millennials
Shelves: memoir, nonfiction, humor
Life . . . is awkward and confusing and full of bad sex and spilled coffee, and those are the memories we shouldn’t just throw a pretty filter over.

When we neglect those imperfect moments, we miss a chance for real growth.

The Art of Living Other People's Lives, is a must-read for the new generation.

Greg Dybec delivered one of the most honest books that I’ve ever read. The collection of essays that varied from short memoirs to confessions and even to self-helps revealed many aspects of the author
Jesswa T
Jul 21, 2016 Jesswa T rated it liked it
The Art of Living Other People's Lives: Stories, Confessions & Memorable Mistakes is a book that I didn't really know anything about when I was granted an ARC via Netgalley.

Greg Dybec is the editor for Elite Daily- a website that I've referred to only as clickbait for the past year or so with many of the articles popping up rudely in my Facebook stream.

This book was a really easy and light-hearted read. One thing that struck me and that was Dybec appears to be incredibly passionate and det
Auderoy Lin
Dec 21, 2016 Auderoy Lin rated it really liked it
FAV QUOTES:

For me, this book is a kind of confessional.

When we neglect those imperfect moments, we miss a chance for real growth.

If life is indeed all about balance, then it’s important to embrace the imperfect and the strange. If we lose that personal honesty, then whom exactly are we living for—ourselves or everyone else? Who knows, maybe it’ll always be a little bit of both. I’m still trying to figure that out, one step, click, swipe, and text at a time.
Or maybe someone out there is close to
Encruzilhadas Literárias
Dec 05, 2016 Encruzilhadas Literárias rated it liked it
Shelves: cláudia
I will start this review by saying that I received an online copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange of a honest review.

I don't read essays quite often so I can't consider myself an expert and give a proper opinion on that subject. Despite that, I think a good essay collection should give us interesting and thoughtful subjects as well as a good dose of humor and daily basis moments in order to stand the author and the reader at the same level as human beings struggling to find their pace
Petra
Dec 08, 2016 Petra rated it liked it
Confession time: I had no idea who Greg Dybec was until I started reading this, and I had never visited (or even heard of) the Elite Daily website. In case, if like me, you are a not a millennial, Greg Dybec is the managing editor of Elite Daily, which apparently is a popular site and The Voice of Generation Y. In this collection of anecdotes and memories, Greg covers a wide range of topics in an easy-to-read, humorous manner.
Greg is half my age and the same age as one of my daughters. In spite
Cat L
Dec 20, 2016 Cat L rated it liked it
Almost every single chapter of the book had humor or some type of relatable message for me. I like a good bit of sarcasm and this was right up there, but then the next chapter has stories of Grammy, Nanny and Pop. How can a Millennial have the same feelings as me towards their grandparents? Aren't these "kids" too absorbed in their computer screens to give a s**t about people over the age of 30?

The story of the family trip to Italy was one of my favorites. Parts of it seemed a little braggart (M
Zachary Peter
Dec 14, 2016 Zachary Peter rated it it was amazing
Greg was a guest on my podcast so I received an advanced copy from Hachette.

I started it over the weekend and was immediately hooked. Greg has a talent for writing and captures the millennial voice perfectly. As a millennial myself, it felt as if he had stolen my inner-dialogue.

It's a fun, relatable read. It helped reassure me that there's value in misfortune, I can hack life with passion and determination, and if I ever find a prostitute I feel is worth saving, JUST LET IT BE.
Didi
Dec 13, 2016 Didi rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, 2016, netgalley
Fast and easy read. It's kinda strange to read a biography of someone a decade younger. Guess what I did after I finished reading; a visit to the Elite Daily, of course!
Herbert Lui
Dec 04, 2016 Herbert Lui rated it it was amazing
I don't often read essay collections, but I'm happy I read this one. Greg's honesty and insight makes this an exciting and fulfilling read.
Candy
Nov 09, 2016 Candy rated it liked it
Real insights into the minds of the millenials.
Erica Hartman
Oct 08, 2016 Erica Hartman rated it really liked it
Started off really strong, definitely appealing to the millenials and their struggles, but the later essays weren't nearly as captivating. Still interestng to hear the life an internet mongrel and how it shaped his upcomings as both a person and a writer.
anete
Sep 29, 2016 anete rated it liked it
Recommends it for: millenials, but older people might enjoy also
Shelves: non-fiction, 2016, humour
*ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review, thanks again*

Greg Dybec is an editor for an internet magazine and this is a book of stories from his life. Yes, I know what you're thinking - "This isn't a celebrity, why should I care?" Well, you shouldn't, but you do.
This book really makes it feel like Greg is your friend and you're having a nice conversation, he tells you short funny stories and sometimes comes to an insightful conclusion.

There's an even mix of good and okay stori
Saarah N
Aug 05, 2016 Saarah N rated it really liked it
Entertaining

I quite like this book: it was quirky, funny and relatable in many ways. I do admit I was a bit apprehensive about reading it, not so much as what would physically happen as a result of my reading it. Just that it might have me questioning certain things. I'm not quite as neurotic as the author though! I haven't developed to that stage, I can almost see him analysing my words to uncover a deeper meaning.

I did like the book, granted it was difficult to dislike when thinking about the
Castille
Sep 17, 2016 Castille rated it liked it
I read a lot of memoir and loved the title, so I expected more from it. Dybec is a good writer and makes quirky, fun observations throughout his stories which almost all end with a reverse-funnel sort of mechanism where he uses the microcosm to draw parallels or conclusions about society and the world in which we live. I think anyone interested in pop culture or who likes reading Elite Daily (with the caveat that they also have the attention span to read a full-length book) would enjoy this book ...more
Shruti Ramanujam
Jul 30, 2016 Shruti Ramanujam rated it really liked it
This book is a collection of twenty stories from Dybec about his life experiences. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It did not feel like a book, it felt more like the author was a friend sitting next to me, telling me about the riveting encounters and experiences he has had in life.

Right from the beginning, the reader will get hooked. As Managing Editor of Elite Daily (yes, the site all over your social media feed), Dybec gives some interesting insights into the lives of people from the o
Yuu Sasih
Aug 20, 2016 Yuu Sasih rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: millennials who enjoys their social media
This book was provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest opinion.

I picked this book from Netgalley gallery mainly because of the cover. I don't expect much from an online website managing editor's memoar, because when you read a memoar, you usually expect some insight into a life you never experienced, the struggles of famous people with mental illness, drug addictions, crazy life, etc. What a managing editor of Elite Daily memoar could give you insight of?

Greg Dybec didn't give that to us
Shawna Thomas
Aug 31, 2016 Shawna Thomas rated it it was amazing
I don't know Greg Dybec personally, but after reading his collection of essays, I feel like I do -- his neuroses, the things that keep him awake at night, the interactions he has with friends and family -- they seem so familiar.

I felt connected to him in ways impossible for someone who lives forever away and who could never have -- and would never have -- the same experiences.

When Greg writes, it's like he dips his nib in elegance and scrawls thoughts, hopes and dreams that even pigeons could r
Nicole Sobon
Jul 18, 2016 Nicole Sobon rated it liked it
Actual rating: I'd probably go with a 3.5.

I enjoyed this for what it was, a collection of fun, personal stories. Unfortunately, as I neared the end, the book began to lose steam. The stories weren't as engaging. This isn't to say the book isn't worth a read, though. "The Art of Living Other People's Lives" does offer some wonderful stories that nearly everyone can relate to - whether it be insecurities, dating, growing up, family, etc. There's at least one story in this collection that you'll be
Kyle Eaton
Aug 17, 2016 Kyle Eaton rated it really liked it
This book was provided as an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review, which is proved below.

Reading this book felt like I was telling stories with a friend over a drink. As one essay would end, I felt as if I should share the next story to keep the conversation going. There is a sincere and casual tone to the writing which makes it inviting for the reader while still providing some substance to audience as well. The subjects discussed are quite relatable and often I would find myself
Rebecca
Aug 11, 2016 Rebecca rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I found Greg Dybec to be endearing, genuine, and very intelligent. In many ways, it was the opposite of what I would of expected from such a successful, young man. This book doesn't contain stories about multiple hook-ups and wild parties, but instead is fun insight as to what it means to work in the internet today. I believe that any reader would enjoy Greg's unique point of view.
Bibi
Sep 01, 2016 Bibi rated it liked it
**I was provided with an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. **

An enjoyable read of short stories and essays about life nowadays, uber drivers, dealings with Twitter, etc. Some were relatable and funny, but for the most part I felt that the humor was a bit forced, and therefore was lacking. Overall, I give it a 3. Adding half a star for the awesome cover, which is what drew me to this book in the first place.
Molly
Aug 19, 2016 Molly rated it it was amazing
I received a galley copy from the author's publicist and devoured this book over a long vacation. It made me laugh, it made me nod my head in agreement, and it made me read passages out loud to my sister because I wanted someone else to enjoy the book as much as I was. If you are a millennial, if you spend your days on the internet, or if you just want to hear smart, funny essays from an amazing new author, read this book.
Joe Michael
Sep 16, 2016 Joe Michael rated it it was amazing
Humorous and honest collection of stories from a fresh new voice on the scene. If David Rakoff (RIP) grew up on the Internet and obsessed over his online identity, it'd probably be a lot like this book of essays.

Also surprisingly touching and raw in many places. Reading the story of the author coping with his grandma's dementia brought back many memories I had suppressed.

Overall a fun, touching, authentic collection from an emerging generation of millennial authors.
Emma Lunsford
Aug 28, 2016 Emma Lunsford rated it liked it
Strong beginning & strong ending, but for whatever reason, the anecdotes in the middle were not exciting & the humor felt forced (compared to the others). Some of these stories made me roll my eyes, annoyed & disinterested. And some I could relate to & made me actually laugh out loud. It was a weird mix.
Emily
Jul 27, 2016 Emily rated it liked it
Quick and easy read. I couldn't help but read it from a media comms perspective, and I enjoyed the author's ruminations on millennials' views and experiences in the digital media industry (himself included). It seemed too short; I would have gladly read more chapters.
Jul 26, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Dicey, interesting stories from the life of writer Greg Dybec, who lives life through his internet encounters. Stories made me laugh and think about my own life and using social media to interact with others.
Victoria
Victoria rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Cláudia P.
Cláudia P. rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2017
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2017
Greg Dybec is a New York City based writer and digital media professional. He is currently the managing editor of Elite Daily, the popular millennial publisher. He is a New York native and graduated from St. John's University with a degree in English. The Art of Living Other People's Lives is his first book.
More about Greg Dybec...

“A good writer can fake being an expert in anything—even men's underwear.” 2 likes
“Siamo tutti estranei da qualche parte.

We're all strangers someplace.”
1 likes