Start by marking “Keeping Love Alive as Memories Fade: The 5 Love Languages and the Alzheimer's Journey” as Want to Read:

Across America and around the world, the five love languages have revitalized relationships and saved marriages from the brink of disaster. Can they also help individuals, couples, and families cope with the devastating diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease (AD)?

Coauthors Chapman, Shaw, and Barr give a resounding yes. Their innovative application of the five love languages crea
Published October 1st 2016 by Northfield Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Keeping Love Alive as Memories Fade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keeping Love Alive as Memories Fade

Petra
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
While I don't know anyone with Alzheimer's, this book caught my eye and I'm glad it did.
Never having heard of The 5 Love Languages, the concept of this book unfolded for me as I read. It's a wonderful method of treating everyone with respect, dignity and love.
This book focusses on people with dementias and applying the concepts of giving love and dignity to a person who cannot acknowledge or return the gesture in any way. However, what is felt, on both sides, is peace and contentment.
The stor
Lesbianfunworld Online
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't know anyone with Alzheimer's Disease (AD), nor anyone with dementia. But this is one of the best books I have ever read (listened to) and suggest it to anyone who loves or has to put up with an uncommunicative person.

I was browsing a list of recommended books at the library - since it was online and mindless link-clicking I have no idea how I got to that list or what the filters were - and this was knee of many books recommended. I didn't know the 5 love languages (although I think I hav
Kathleen
4 ⭐.
I enjoyed reading this informative "up to date" book about Alzheimer's disease and the changes that take place and the role "love language" can play.

Keeping Love Alive As Memories Fade looks at couples and families faced with Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia such as Frontotemporal dementia, Lewy body dementia, Parkinson's disease dementia and Vascular dementia.

This book describes the "five love languages" - words of affirmation, quality time, gifts, acts of service and physic
Michele Acker
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you have interest in caregiving for those affected by Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia it’s a great introductory read into maintaining love and respect using the 5 love languages Chapman’s other books promote. Gives practical tips at a basic level for dealing with the progression in a compassionate way.
Katrina Ayala
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Find my review at LenaMayBooks

Keeping Love Alive as Memories Fade takes the phenomenon that struck the world, The Five Love Languages, and merges it with The Alzheimer’s journey. Author and creator of the The Five Love Languages, Gary Chapman, teams up with Edward G. Shaw and Debbie Barr to create a book for anyone affected by Alzheimer’s and dementia. Together this team of a healthcare provider, a relationship expert and a caregiver will bring you into the world of this disease and show you ho
Jeanie
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
The word for love in the context of God's love means this-The loyal, merciful, intentional love that intervenes on behalf of loved ones and comes to their rescue. In antiquity, this Hebrew word was used to describe the love of God Himself for humanity. There has never been a higher love than the hesed of God, and it is His love, that empowers the many caretakers who make a commitment to love and cherish their loved ones with Alzheimer's.

Loved this book. If you have not read the The Heart of th
Mandy Peterson
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
While we are not currently connected to Alzheimer's, I wanted to read this book anyway because I know the 5 Love Languages books are always good quality and have reliable information. I was not disappointed!
Full of medical information and relationship advice, Keeping Love Alive as Memories Fade was a startling revelation into a complex condition. I picked out many things I can use with my grandparents, eventually my own parents, and my husband one day. Beautifully written, I highly recommend thi
Renee'
Oct 26, 2016 added it
A truly needed addition to the Five Love Languages book family. This book guides caregivers through discovering and using the five love languages to better care for people with memory loss. Caring for those with memory loss is difficult at best, and this book sheds light on how to feed people who are no longer responsive in a language they will receive to make their life brighter. A must read for anyone who loves someone with memory loss.
Mary Lou
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The progressive decline of cognitive functions deeply grieves all who care for people with dementia/Alzheimer’s. There is loss on so many levels; but in Deborah Barr, Ed Shaw, and Gary Chapman’s new book, Keeping Love Alive As Memories Fade, they make these encouraging statements: “Truly, the deep human need for love does not disappear with a diagnosis of dementia… The impact of the love languages is due, in part, to the amygdala, a brain structure not immediately affected by the disease… Despit ...more
Nicole Field
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
NetGalley Review

This was a hard book to read, and a more difficult book to review. I often pick up nonfiction reads on various subjects because they interest me and, after reading Still Alice last year, I was eager to follow it up with this.

Still Alice is actually referenced in one of the chapter quotes but, honestly, this book was dry as hell. Whether it was the subject matter or the way it was written, I found this book incredibly difficult. There's no doubt that it was well researched, and much of it was f
Dora
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Valuable guide to coping with a spouse or loved one moving though the stages of Alzheimer's Disease, and/or dementia. Shows the love, patience and effort required of caretakers. Instructs that patients do still benefit from love and caring interactions, even when these cannot be reciprocated.
Luke
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful, comforting, encouraging, and heart-breaking book that will be a treasure for many people who have loved ones suffering from this horrible affliction.
Anna Whiteman
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
POWERFUL book that I highly recommend to kids of parents who have dementia AND especially to spouses of those who have dementia. Not only Alzheimer's but also Vascular Dementia, Parkinson's Dementia, Frontal Lobal Dementia, Lewey Body Dementia, etc... Very practical and insightful! A MUST READ.
Janet Sketchley
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
This book includes personal stories, practical information, and candid responses from people walking this “unchosen journey” with loved ones. It relies on input from studies and other key books on the subject of dementia and caregiving.

Don’t stop half-way through, daunted by the prospect of what Alzheimer’s can bring. Once the authors have given that grounding, they move on to share strategies, stories, and hope.

And don’t say we could never do what these care partners have chosen to do. Maybe we
David Pfanschmidt
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“Keeping Love Alive as Memories Fade” was an eye opener for me. Like most 60+ people, I fear dementia (in general) and Alzheimer’s Disease (in particular). The sadness of the disease is nearly overwhelming. Gary Chapman, Edward Shaw, and Debbie Barr take the time to explain the disease and describe its damage from the perspective of various affected people.
They explain their purpose this way: “It is the mission of our book to assert that the application of intentional love is powerful and beaut
Dottie Parish
Keeping Love Alive as Memory Fades is a marvelous, insightful book about how to navigate the Alzheimer’s road with grace and love. Dr. Shaw speaks from experience. His wife was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s at age 53. Using Gary Chapman’s five love languages Shaw has helped many families who are faced with a loved one losing memory to the point of no return. Each of us has a specific way (language) that communicates love from others. The five languages are: words of affirmation, quality time, recei ...more
Liliyana Shadowlyn
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I originally chose this book because I'm still struggling with my own past experience with my grandmother's alzheimer's, and watching my family change as they tried to cope. I finally feel like I have understanding and closure. I also feel like I am more prepared to deal with it should it ever enter my life again. If alzheimer's has touched your life, past or present, or dementia is, I urge you to read this book.
Mary
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book had so much useful information. I am a Hospice volunteer. I had recently attended a training in learning about Hospice care in Alzheimer's patients. I and was curious when I saw this book. I was familiar with the 5 love languages. Great book. I've recommended the book to several friends. Great resource if you have a family member with Alzheimer's.
Missy
Feb 06, 2018
Carol
May 24, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Married more than 45 years to Karolyn, Dr. Gary Chapman is just the man to turn to for help on improving or healing our most important relationships. His own life experiences, plus over forty years of pastoring and marriage counseling, led him to publish his first book in the Love Language series, The 5 Love Languages®: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate. Millions of readers credit t ...more