Start by marking “Fishing in the Styx” as Want to Read:
Fishing in the Styx

Fishing in the Styx

A tender portrait of a partnership, in life and in work, between two talented, volatile people, Ruth Park and her husband D'Arcy Niland. They share their dreams and disappointments and rejoice in each other's triumphs. This is the second part of Ruth Park's autobiography.
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published January 2000 by Louis Braille Audio (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Fishing in the Styx, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fishing in the Styx

Start your review of Fishing in the Styx
Judith Johnson
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Oh, this is a wonderful book! I said this repeatedly out loud to my husband as I read in bed each evening. Thanks to a Twitterpal who introduced me to Ruth Park, I am working my way through her books and those of her husband D'Arcy Niland. Like its predecessor 'A Fence Round the Cuckoo', this 2nd part of her autobiography is full of marvellous writing, honesty, joy and sorrow. I wish I'd met her.

Not spoilers, but tasters:

'... how was I to know then, at my age, that some griefs never heal; they
Lisa
Fishing in the Styx is the second volume of Ruth Parks autobiography, read with great sensitivity by Anna Volska on this audiobook. It is fascinating to listen to the evolution of one of our best-loved writers, writing about living in a 1960s Sydney unrecognisable today.

Ruth Park was born into poverty in about 1923 in New Zealand, and came to have a career in Australia only by chance. She was about to embark from Sydney to take up a job with a newspaper in San Fransisco when all shipping was
Chris Waterford
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
I expected this to be a warts and all autobiography about the author and her husband and their marriage. No warts. No all. Their "romance" is dismissed in one page and his death in a few lines. I wanted more.
Meg
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great read...like her stories a page turner. Loved the tales of Darcy Niland another favourite author. Her description of grief and loss at Darcy's death resonated with me and my own search for answers.
Jillian
I really liked this one too! I think I'd like to find a copy of her sydney tourist guide, would be very interesting to see what my adopted city was like once upon a time!
Carolyn Mck
I enjoyed reading this autobiography of Ruth Park, after re-reading her novel, Harp in the South, for our book discussion. It helped me see how the novel was based on her experiences of living in Surry Hills and also the huge struggles she and her husband, D'Arcy Niland, had in determining to live by their writing alone, from the early 1940s. Park's mainstay was as a writer for the Children's Session on the ABC. (How many of you, Australians of my era, remember, 'Row, Argonauts, row'?!)

The title
Anne Fenn
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book completes the life story of Ruth Park. As with her first book, it's her lively honest voice that most entertains. It's set mainly in Sydney. There's lots about her marriage to D'Arcy Niland. They were both dedicated to making a living from their writing. They were so hardworking and poor, it's good to know they both received recognition and success in the 1950s - 60s.
Geoff Wooldridge
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second instalment of Ruth Park's autobiography, following on from A Fence Around the Cuckoo, which covered the period of her life growing up in New Zealand.

Fishing In the Styx picks up with Park's migration to Australia in the early years of WWII, to share a life with a brash but loveable Irish Australian, D'Arcy Niland, who would become her husband and with whom she would have 5 children.

Together, Ruth and D'Arcy pursued their dreams of becoming full time writers, earning their
Anita
Jun 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this:
"Unlike them she could not snatch a flying word like a butterfly, comprehend it and its ramifications in a flash, pull off its wings and flick it back towards its originator".
This is her autobiography and as beuatifully written as her novels. Came to read this after go to a "Late Great" sessiona at the Wheeler Centre and they read some passages from it. I wanted to read more and know more about this fabulous author.
Ros
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful insight into the lives of a couple of writers struggling to survive on the proceeds of their writing and how supportive they were of each other's endeavours. I cannot wait to enjoy some of Ruth Park's fiction now.
Nikki Balzer
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this a fascinating account of a Sydney lifestyle by a very interesting woman. she makes no bones about the hardships her family endured but also celebrated her life. what an amazing lady, always loved her books, now will read them again. with new insight to the author
Nicole Naunton
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's fantastic to read about our neighbourhood and learn more about its history. Wonderful book.
Hannah
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Her life story series is so well written. It comes across as another story rather than a dry account of her life. Worth a read, some of the history in here is magnificent as well
Amanda Knight
Jul 21, 2017
Katie
Apr 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Darkness for Light (Caleb Zelic, #3)
  • Twilight of Love: Travels with Turgenev
  • Nest
  • The Good Turn (Cormac Reilly, #3)
  • The Tiniest House of Time
  • One Good Turn (Jackson Brodie, #2)
  • Soul of the Border
  • The Year Without Summer
  • The Dark Days Pact (Lady Helen, #2)
  • Five Days of Fog
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • Water Shall Refuse Them
  • Oligarchy
  • Everywhere I Look
  • Visitors to Verona: Lovers, Gentlemen and Adventurers
  • Stasiland: Stories from Behind the Berlin Wall
  • The Italians
  • The Thing About Clare
Ruth Park was a New Zealand-born author, who spent most of her life in Australia. She was born in Auckland, and her family later moved to Te Kuiti further south in the North Island of New Zealand, where they lived in isolated areas.

During the Great Depression her working class father worked on bush roads, as a driver, on relief work, as a sawmill hand, and finally shifted back to Auckland as