Start by marking “Shadowed Promise” as Want to Read:
Shadowed Promise

Shadowed Promise

Moyna’s cousin panted at the doorway, heavy with child. “Who did this to you?” her father shouted. And Moyna knew that somehow she would be blamed for this unspeakable shame on the family. Her aunt blamed her for all the tragedies, from the death of Moyna’s own parents to the riots in Bombay. But, as her cousin lay dying of stab wounds, Moyna promised to protect the baby.

I

Published January 16th 2016 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Shadowed Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadowed Promise

Renita D'Silva
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this wonderful and evocative book. Moyna is an amazing woman, strong and determined and I absolutely adored her. From the first sentence the pace never lets up. The author unflinchingly describes the riots and gives an honest and vivid portrayal of life in Mumbai. I really enjoyed reading this book and look forward to reading more by this incredibly talented author.
Rubina
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Starting from the suburban Mumbai, Sunanda Chatterjee takes us across the seven seas by the sheer power of her words. I traveled along with Moyna from Mumbai to Beverly hills and with each step, I found myself getting closer to Moyna.

I just loved Moyna's character. After a long time, I am reading a character that is complete with all her vulnerability and strength. Her darkness is her curse. The deaths around her are her nightmares. Yet out of that, she emerges as a strong career woman with a h
Sundari Venkatraman
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have read Fighting for Tara by Sunanda J. Chatterjee and loved the book. The author is an excellent story teller. Based in the USA, she manages to bring to life both the customs of India as well as the Indian diaspora in the USA.

Shadowed Promise revolves around the life of Moyna. Orphaned as a kid, she goes to live with her uncle and aunt in Mumbai. While the aunt makes no bones that she hates Moyna, the girl survives because of her cousin’s affection. Her aunt convinces Moyna that she carries
Shoumi Sen
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put the book down! From Bombay to LA, the author weaves a story so well, that you feel like you're right there - with Moyna as she embraces all the challenges life throws at her and fights back. It's a moving story of love and hope, I haven't read a book like this in a long time. Cannot wait for more books by the author!
Caroline Vincent - Bits about Books
When you firmly believe to be the cause of other people’s bad luck – how can you stay around those you love? When disaster strikes you promise to protect an innocent life – but are forced to leave. Do you abandon your responsibility to escape a life of poverty? Will you hold on to the promise even if it destroys your happiness? Is it possible to overcome a shadowed past?

Eighteen-year-old Moyna lives with her aunt and uncle in suburban Bombay, India. Her parents have been killed in a car accident
Inderpreet Uppal
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shadowed Promise is Monya’s story, a girl who has lived with blame and doubt all her life. She struggles her way to make a better life in another country yet the strings she thought had been severed call her back. Acceptance of her past is her only redemption yet it almost destroys her.

Long post Alert!! I loved it too much to write any less!

Moyna is one tough cookie, she stands by her words when she is chucked from her house not once but twice. Having earlier read Sunanda’s book Fighting For Tar
Aparna
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My Honest Review :

What is a Promise? What are the consequences that one faces when one gives a promise to protect his/her near and dear ones? To what extent does one go to fulfill a given promise?
What effect does a child’s psych have when the child is branded as unlucky or is blamed as the cause of all the untoward incidences just because there is no one else to blame.
Shadowed Promise by Sunanda Chatterjee efficiently portrays how a woman’s insecurity and jealousy can spoil and mar so many n
Andy Dill
Shadowed Promise: From riots in Bombay to the riches of Beverly Hills by Sunanda J. Chatterjee was a surprise to me. I let a friend talk me into reading this book. I don't read romances. At least, I was told it was a romance. I found that there was some romance in the book, but it is much more than that. It was a journey from a bad life into a new world and the potential for great success. It is the story of a woman of great strength who, despite her upbringing, was determined to make a life for ...more
Arti
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written story, with great characters written in a simple language. The characters are well developed and realistic. There are not many characters in the story and the author has justified the presence of each of them. The descriptions are detailed, be it of the characters or of the scenes, I could actually visualize the scenes. The conversations between the characters were so realistic, I felt that they were conversing right in front of me and I was actually not reading the dialogu ...more
Nilima
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read full review: Book Review: Shadowed Promise by Sunanda Chatterjee
Plot, characters, flow, ... everything. The story pulls you into its vortex.
While reading and at the end of the book I was like: Now this is some writing and an Author!
I finished the 500+pages book in less than 24hrs, which is a feat considering my reading speed and distractions. I never had to remind myself to pick up the book. I was unconsciously pulled towards the book, the story is so engrossing.
The flow of the story is con
Atreyee Mukherjee
What a fantastic debut book! It is so intriguing and fast paced that I finished it in a few hours. Kudos to Sunanda Chatterjee, the author, for a well crafted story. I was fascinated by the way the author covers a whole gamut of emotions starting from relationship issues within the family to communal strife to those evolving against a backdrop of different continents and cultures. Each chapter is a revelation and yet manages to smoothly coalesce with the next. Every character in the book comes a ...more
Renita D'Silva
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Angela Peixoto
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was my first book by this author and I got into it right from the word go. There is romance, history, suspense, everyday situations that very often we are unaware of, in short a very enjoyable book that I had difficulty putting down until I got to the last page.
David B Usry
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A story of triumph

What a great book. The reader is drawn into cheering for the main character, moyna, from the very beginning. A story of triumph.
S
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant and gripping plot. The author is a great storyteller and has a way with words and knows how to grip her readers interests and pull them in stories. The story started from India and cross the seven seas and ended in US . I personally liked Shadowed Promise more than Fighting for Tara only because I felt Fighting for Tara had too many parallel stories and was slow in the beginning and I felt the author was throwing too many stories in but once all the stories started merging i ...more
Lee
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book

I loved this book.
Will read more by this author.
Wonderful story.
More please.
I love stories from india colorful.
Viola
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful

Great roller coaster ride of a book...Not a dull moment from the beginning to the end. Lots of love, family and romantic relationships to celebrate life.
Mary Stockwell
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding

What a great book! This is truly in the class with the great classics. Great character building and great story building.
Sunita Saldhana
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second book of Sunanda Chatterjee that I have read. I picked it up because I loved her book “Fighting for Tara”. This book too follows the same flow where the protagonist runs away from her troubles in India, hoping for a better life in the USA, yet the secrets of her past follow her.
In this book the author has taken up the issue that I am sure a lot of Indian girls face, that of being blamed for all the misfortune and tragedy that occurs around them, and being called ‘Noshter goda”
Jessica M-E Nitsch
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hard To Put Down!!

I took a chance on this book and bought it when it was on sale and am so glad I did! The book starts in Bombay (now Mumbai), India, and Moyra, the main character, ends up getting accepted to USC so moves to the U.S. Thanks to her aunt, who raised her, Moyra is very superstitious and has an unhealthy belief in fatalism, especially her personal role in any tragedy that happens to anyone around her. She also has a secret that keeps her from sharing herself fully with others. But s
Anil Swarup
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Indian authors continue to do well. This is the first one that I picked up from the books written by Sunanda Chatterjee and found it engrossing. The book opens up in the backdrop of riots consequent to the demolition of Babri Masjid that shook the nation. The story revolves around Moyna and her travails. The scene soon shifts to the US as Sameer comes into her life. The wheel comes full circle as Moyna travels back to India to keep her promise. The narration is taut that keeps the reader engaged ...more
Bhavya
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indian, own-a-copy, tbc, ebook
Review : Shadowed Promise by Sunanda Chatterjee
Shadowed Promise is the story of a young girl who tries hard to cope with her past and keep on living. Even though mentally abused and wounded, Moyna is a loving girl, one who understands the pain of another human being. Whether or not the curse is true and how she manages to live in spite of the curveballs life throws at her forms an inspiring story.

Anandita
Jul 25, 2016
Aarthi Aravindalochanan
Aug 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Runaway Bridegroom (Marriages Made in India #1)
  • The Mahabharata Code
  • Only Wheat Not White
  • The Captive
  • Carthick's Unfairy Tales
  • Wedding Shenanigans: Or, how Rayna grapples with heartbreak, scandal and a hot hotelier
  • These Lines of Mehendi
  • Hell to Pay (What Doesn't Kill You #7; Emily #3)
  • Monsoon Wedding Fever