Start by marking “Lost Signals” as Want to Read:
Lost Signals

Lost Signals

What’s that sound? Do you feel it?

The signals are already inside you. You never even had a chance.

Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing brings you Lost Signals, a tome of horror fiction featuring radio waves, numbers stations, rogue transmissions, and other unimaginable sounds you only wish were fiction. Forget about what’s hiding in the shadows, and start worrying about wha
Published August 2016 by Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing (first published July 29th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Lost Signals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Signals

Start your review of Lost Signals
Karl
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Themed anthologies can tend to have a problem of too much "sameness" about them. But do not have those trepidations with "Lost Signals" edited by Max Booth III. There are some powerful stories here written by (in some cases) relatively unknown authors.

Don't get me wrong, there is some great work hee from Matthew Bartlet, T.E. Grau, Michael Paul Gonzalez, Damien Angelica Walters and James Newman. I recommend applying portion control in consuming the variety plate on offer here. I tried to limit
Kimberly
LOST SIGNALS is an anthology edited by Max Booth III & Lori Michelle. I seem to be on the wrong "wavelength" with this one, compared to other reviews. While there were some stories that were rather impressive and made me think about them afterwards, I found that the majority just fell flat for me. A few even seemed like they were only half written stories--either that, or I was just hopelessly lost in figuring out the meaning to them.

There were some standouts for me, however.

--"If He Summons Hi
FabulousRaye
How to properly read this book:

* Be alone. Go into your bedroom, close the door.

* Find recordings of EVPS, television/radio static, Numbers Stations. Turn them on, listen while reading.

* Turn off the light. Read by candlelight, Christmas tree lights, kindle lights, whatever is dim.

* Hope that you don't fall asleep and have strange transmissions invade your dreams.

(I received an e-copy of the book from the publishers in exchange for a review)

Benoit Lelièvre
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Given that I'm notorious for being an short story anthology grump, the long-awaited LOST SIGNALS was some of the best time I've had reading one. The best stories were Paul Michael Anderson's dark and suffocating "All That you Leave Behind" and T.E Grau's contemporary classic "Transmission" followed by Damien Angelica Walters' "Little Girl Blue Come Cry Your Way Home", George Cotronis' "Darkhorse Actual", Amanda Hard's "Rosabelle Believe" and John C. Foster's twisted and oddly sassy "Armageddon B ...more
The Grim Reader
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
It has been a big year for anthologies, particularly within the horror genre. Grey Matter Press have continued their excellent run of form and Crystal Lake Publishing recently released ‘Gutted: Beautiful Horror Stories’ – a collection that I will be reading in the not to distant future and one that features heavyweights Neil Gaiman, Clive Barker to name but two.

So where does this leave ‘Lost Signals’?, the latest release from Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing As is often the case with PMMP, th
Lena
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lena by: Spells, Space & Screams
Shelves: anthology
C3967858-A8EF-47FB-934A-F18AEEA99A33.jpg
If He Summons His Heard by Matthew M. Bartlett ★★★★☆
The first cut is the deepest. Finn felt a personal connection to the dark mystery of his town. The story never lets you in all the way, but you feel it when it doesn't let Finn in either.

05F114DE-B62E-42E6-A98A-B1CDD0A64BAE.jpg
Transmissions by T.E. Grau ★★★☆☆
“The voice in the darkness had sliced open the forbidden fruit and offered a taste to Max.”

Wandering trucker finds himself drawn to an abandoned radio station in the desert run by the disciples of the Old Ones.

This should ha
Vincenzo Bilof
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
The concept didn’t seem very appealing to me, at first, but the more stories I read, the more I began to appreciate how original some of the ideas were. Nearly every story in Lost Signals is about personal horror; many stories have characters that connect very well to each other, with relationships that must endure whatever horrific conflict is transpiring. There are a couple of exceptions; arguably, there is only one story that brings in shock value, but its presence in the collection is timely ...more
Shane Keene
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'll be writing a full length review of this later in the week, but wanted to put a quick two cents in here.

Lost Signals is brilliant in concept and even more so in execution. With outstanding and disturbing stories by T. E. Grau, Gabino Iglesias, John Foster, and others it's a who's who of some of the best voices in short genre fiction. I highly recommend this book.
Tyler J Gray
24 stories, total average 2.79. There were some stories I liked but over-all it just wasn't the anthology for me.
M. Dixon
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So, I made a note after each story as I read it. This anthology was THAT good. Here are my thoughts below:
If He Summons His Herd by Matthew M. Bartlett. This is how you do Weird fiction! I absolutely loved this story.
Transmission by T. E. Grau. Another brilliant story for this anthology, and I'm only 2 in! Cosmic Horror at its finest!
The Dangsturm Interruption by Joseph Boutiette Jr. Science Fiction/Cosmic Horror. Super short experimental weirdness.
The Givens Sensor Board by Josh Malerman. I had
SerialReader
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
PMM Publishing is no stranger to deliver extremely original works, and Lost Signals is the umpteenth example of a well curated collection of compelling stories. I couldn't help appreciating the cure that has been put into this anthology -from the cover to the great illustrations, everything is perfect. Each and every story is beautifully written -fluent and engaging, this book will absorb you completely.

Read more on The Serial Reader Blog.
Wart Hill
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I received a free ARC

I am having a really hard time expressing how I feel about this anthology. Anthologies are always hit or miss for me because it's very rare that I love every story and when I hit one I don't love it's hard for me to get back into the groove of reading. So it took me awhile to get through this book, and then it took me awhile to get this review written.

I suppose the best I can say about the stories in this book is that they are overall pretty good. Some I really could not sta
Spencer
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was awesome, every single story in this collection is fantastic. You might think that a collection of short stories featuring transmissions, radio stations and other electrical signals might be a strange idea but it works brilliantly!
The stories chosen for the anthology work really well together and the order of the stories must have been really thought through, it feels that each story shares a theme with the story that precedes and follows it.
The anthology also features some of the best
Joshua Chaplinsky
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: 2016-reads
Not taking my own story into account, I give this antho 4 out of 5 stars. (My story bumps it up to a 5, suckaz!)

Seriously tho, so much talent, grateful to be a part of this.
Aaron VanAlstine
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
There were two or three decent stories but the rest were of varying levels of amateurish skill, stories you might find in a self-published collection. A few concerned weird radio signals and “numbers stations,” but most barely met the “lost signals” hook and felt like random selections.
Rory Costello
This is a long collection, and it took me a long time to get through it, chipping away here and there. I definitely found a good few winners -- the entries by Dyer Wilk, Gabino Iglesias, and James Newman come to mind in particular. I labored with a fair number of them, though, both stylistically and in forming a connection with the concept. I'd have liked it if more of them were short and sharp like Newman's.
Arda
May 25, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I should know by now that short stories aren't for me. Instead of being quick, digestible, fun little reads, I turn short story compilations into Sisyphean tasks that cause me to resent the book and myself by the end of it.

That's not to say that there weren't some good stories in this collection. I enjoyed "Eternity Lies in its Radius" because it involved a lady metal head, so right there, solidarity. It was also one of the more solidly written stories, with creepy characters and a weird plot in
Stan James
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
As with most anthologies, the quality of the individual stories varies in Lost Signals and while a few didn't do much for me, the collection overall is well worth reading if you enjoy horror.

A lot of enjoyment comes from how the authors make use of the broad theme of the book, with the inevitable stories about weird radio transmissions, and others that get even weirder, darker or both. There are references to the Cthulhu mythos, Twilight Zone-ish dead people calling on phones, jovial electronic
Horror DNA
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shane-d-keene
When editors Lori Michelle and Max Booth III put out the call for Lost Signals, they were looking for "...horror fiction about radiotelegraphy. We want to be disturbed. Stories should somehow involve radios, radio stations, radars, cell phones, military broadcasts, distress signals, walkie talkies, podcasts, or anything similar." So, right out of the starting gate, we have that first element covered. They have a unique and intriguing theme that is of interest to the authors involved in the proje ...more
Chloe

Interesting book design ((view spoiler)) but ultimately, like most short story anthologies, an uneven read. Some of these stories I strongly disliked, especially the overly gory stories.

My favorites of the bunch:
The Givens Sensor Board by Josh Malerman (also the author of Bird Box, which I've been meaning to check out)
Rosabelle, Believe by Amanda Hard (that ending!! I read this story at midnight
Suz Jay
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This eclectic anthology is jam packed with stories. My favorites included three tales of obsession: "Children of a German Autumn" by Matt Andrew, "The Small Hours" by Vince Darcangelo, and "Hush" by Regina Solomond. The rich sensory details of Andrew's eerie tale transport the reader seamlessly to the story world of East Berlin in 1977 and 1992, where a mother strives to protect her son. Derangeleo's protagonist grapples with the psychotic pull of the Lurking Man entrenched within his psyche. So ...more
Melissa
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was honestly a bit disappointed by this book. I was really excited to read these stories, as I love horror stories with white noise and the like. But...its a real hit or miss. Few stories are great, others are meh, and still others are just plain dumb or boring.

I think it'll really depend on your personal taste. Some people seem to really enjoy these stories, and I'm glad they could. But I didnt much care for this anthology in the end.
Leland Merritt
Jul 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Some stories are okay and some are pretty good. By far the best are “How the Light Gets In” by Michael Paul Gonzalez, “Little Girl Blue, Come Cry Your Way Home” by Damien Angelica Walters, and “All That You Leave Behind” by Paul Michael Anderson.

While this anthology was a little bit of a let down, there are some gems in here. With that said, I still highly recommend Lost Films from the same editors and publisher.
Elle Maruska
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very strong collection and a lot of fun! While there were some forgettable stories, most of them were intriguing and well-written and creepy. The theme was fascinating and I feel like each of the stories tackled it in a different way so the collection didn't feel repetitive or redundant. I also really loved the way it ended...definitely on a very strong note!
Scott Murray
like all anthologies there were some very amazing parts and some that didn't stand out as much! The truly cosmicly weird stories were my favorites!
Alexandra
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Three and a half would be my true rating, as some of the stories were a big miss for me. Most of them were good, with some being really good.
Paperclippe
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
There were some definite misses in here, including the very last story in the book, which was kind of a sour note to end on, but most of these were definitely strange and wonderful examples of new weird. Lots of old gods and lost travelers. Definitely worth a read for fans of numbers stations, Lovecraft, or PNWS.
Thomas Joyce
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book. The cover by Matthew Revert is brilliant. The introduction by Scott Nicolay reads like it could have been an entry on its own, his tone is that light and entertaining. And every story is thoroughly well written and original and utterly engaging. Standout entries for me include Amanda Hard's 'Rosabelle Believe' which was unexpectedly touching, T.E. Grau's 'Transmission' which brought the cosmic horror in spades, 'Armaggedon Baby' by John C. Foster which had som ...more
Bill
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great offering from Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing. This one is a themed anthology with the connecting factor being creepy signals... random radio waves, creepy messages from who-knows-where, numbers stations, even strange glimpses from parallel alternate versions of one's own life. All these and more are here to entertain you, to freak you out, and often to make your jaw just drop in amazement. Lots of great stories here from great authors. Everything here is pretty much top-notch, ...more
P
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it
An acceptable collection of "wireless" weird fiction stories. Only three stars because most of the stories were too long for my taste. Made me realize how difficult it is to write really outstanding weird fiction. The best ones were:

Four stars:
The night wire - H.F. Arnold - from 1926 !
Transmission - T.E. Grau

How the light gets in - Michael Paul Gonzalez
The

• The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All
  • The Twisted Ones
  • Ninefox Gambit (The Machineries of Empire, #1)
  • The Children of Old Leech: A Tribute to the Carnivorous Cosmos of Laird Barron
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Five
  • Alien: The Cold Forge
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
  • The Invited
  • City of the Dead (Resident Evil, #3)
  • Eon (The Way, #1)
  • Noctuary
  • The Reddening
  • I Sing the Body Electric! & Other Stories
  • The Complex
  • Best New Horror: Volume 25 (Mammoth Book of Best New Horror)
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Croning
  • Dispel Illusion (Impossible Times, #3)
Max Booth III doesn't exist. If you spot him in public, call your local authorities immediately, but let's be honest: by then it's probably too late.