Start by marking “Het eiland van de vorige dag” as Want to Read:
Het eiland van de vorige dag

Het eiland van de vorige dag

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  11,454 Ratings  ·  515 Reviews
Umberto Eco, one of the greatest storytellers of all time, continues to enthrall readers with this exquisitely crafted novel that celebrates the romance, war, politics, philosophy, and science of the baroque period in all its lush and colorful detail. 513 pp.
Published 1995 by Bert Bakker (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Het eiland van de vorige dag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Het eiland van de vorige dag

Jon Melsæter
Aug 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't count the times I've tried to write a review of an Eco-book, whether physically or in my head, then decided to drop it.

Where does one start? How does one review a product of an intellect such as Eco's, a scholar in semiotics, history and god knows what else? Many reviews I've read here on The Island Of The Day Before are just plain moronic - outbursts of frustration because someone expected to grasp the contexts and countless themes it covers as easily as an airport-bestseller. I have a
Owlseyes
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Owlseyes by: eco lei
Eco:" We have a limit, a very discouraging, humiliating limit: death. That's why we like all the things that we assume have no limits and, therefore, no end. It's a way of escaping thoughts about death. We like lists because we don't want to die".
Interview in Der Spiegel, November 11, 2009

UPDATE; thank you Eco...

Umberto Eco, 84, Best-Selling Academic Who Navigated Two Worlds, Dies
By JONATHAN KANDELLFEB. 19, 2016
in: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/20/art...

Stultus! Whom do I talk to?
Miserable y
Ahmed
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

كعادة (إيكو) فرواياته مرهقة للعقل , مجهدة للذهن , تحتاج إلى تركيز عميق و استيعاب لأفكاره السامية .

المهم : أننا أمام رواية من الطراز الثقيل , تلك الروايات التي تحمل في مضمونها أضعاف ما يبدو منها من أفكار و غايات ,
هو عمل عن الانسان ورحلته الفانية في هذه الدنيا , ما نريد وما نستطيع بلوغه , كيف هي هذه الرحلة , وكيف نتعامل معها , وكيف تخدعنا الحياة ببريقها الزائف لتخطف منا أعز ما نملك , وكيف يكون العقل لعنة , والخيال جحيم .

العمل ببساطة مطلقة يقدم لنا نموذج إنساني جميل , عن تائه عصفت به الدنيا , من ح
Thomas
Mar 21, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
was enthralled by The Name of the Rose as a work of historical fiction; loved reading Focault's Pendulum (anyone who enjoyed reading The DaVini Code should read this to experience a real historical-religious thriller.

The Island of the Day Before? this book inspired me to swear never to read a book written by Umberto Eco again. why? i had not made it all the way through Chapter 1 when i encountered the following sentence:

"It is only later that he will assume, in dreams, that the plank, by some me
Maria Thomarey
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Αυτο το βιβλιο το διάβασα λιγο μετα την 999 προσπάθεια μου να διαβάσω τον " αλχημιστή" και ενω ο κοσμος γύρω μου υστεριαζοταν με το "φιλόσοφο-κλισεδιαρη" Κοεολιο. Οταν λοιπον διάβασα αυτο το υπέροχο βιβλιο του Εκο , αναρωτήθηκα γιατι ο κοσμος ηταν τοσο επιρρεπής στις Κοέλιο ευκολίες .... βεβαια μετα εγινε σταρ η Δημουλίδου και έπαψα να αναρωτιέμαι ......
ο Εκο σε αυτο το σχετικά μικρο βιβλιο μπερδεύει γλυκά την ιστορια ,την φαντασία ,την θρησκεία και τις παραβολές και την φιλοσοφία . Α! Και οπως
Josh
Jul 13, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Usually, I have one of three reactions to a book: I love it and plow through it, I hate it and put it down within 50 pages, or I like it and take my time, possibly reading other books simultaneously. This one ... oy. Because of The Name of the Rose, I kept expecting it to be good - or, more accurately, to get better. I waited 100 pages. Then 200 pages. Then 300 pages. Finally, I threw it across the room in frustration at 350 pages. I'm still bitter.
Maxym Karpovets
Apr 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I have no clear idea why people don’t like this book, because I do really think that is one of the most luminous Eco’s novels. The form of The Island of the Day Before (1994) could seem very simple, but it is not true. As often for Eco’s literal strategy he tries to mask a various citations, allusions and parallels with cultural and historical basis. Every novel looks like intertextual garland of signs and senses which are masterly contained into historical or philosophical fiction, detective or ...more
Salma
Dec 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
تدور أحداث الرواية حول شاب إيطالي من القرون الوسطى قد علق على متن سفينة مهجورة و مركونة قرب حيد مرجاني و أمام ناظريه جزيرة يعجز عن الوصول إليها... هذه الجزيرة بحسب ما كان يُعتقد في ذاك الزمن تقع على خط الهاجرة الذي يشكل الفاصل بين الأمس و اليوم...

أسلوب الرواية لذيذ و مسل و لامألوف فهي تنُقل على لسان إيكو الذي ينقل لنا القصة من خلال أوراق تركها الشاب على السفينة و يحاول إيكو في أثناء ذلك تحليل ما جرى مع الشاب و تفلت من بين السطور السخرية من طريقة الشاب في الكتابة و أسلوبه و طريقة تفكيره و بكل ما
Patrick Neylan
Sep 16, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, foreign
Readers expect Umberto Eco to take them on a stimulating journey of discovery as his characters unravel mysteries that take them to the heart of early Western civilisation. In The Name of the Rose and Foucault's Pendulum this style worked brilliantly. In the 'The Island of the Day Before' it fails catastrophically.

Eco spends hundreds of pages wallowing in his arcane knowledge, resorting to ever more desperate ploys to show off his learning, because this book has no plot to draw out those intelle
Vit Babenco
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I surmise Umberto Eco envisaged The Island of the Day Before as an antithesis of Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe – instead of a man surviving on a deserted island he portrayed his character secluded on a deserted ship and immersed him into all kinds of abstract cerebral musings.
But this somewhat artificial idea could only have somewhat artificial realization so the novel right from the start turned into elaborate exercises in style and erudition.
“Now I would say that harking back, on the ship,
Tihleigh
Nov 30, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really hated this book. I choked through it due to the sheer fortitude engendered by my unreasonable need to finish every book that I start. Every. Single. Book. Had I been able to dismiss it, I would have. A friend once told me that I should read Eco's essays, and that his fiction was an attempt to destroy overly-used literary devices of current literature by gluttonously indulging in them. I've never actually bothered to look into whether or not it was true because, truthfully, it's the myth ...more
Paul
Jan 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely my favorite Eco book. Got to give Annie props for recommending this one to me. Who knew that longitude could be such an interesting ontological motif?
Radwa
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
رواية داخل رواية داخل رواية!

مبدأياً الحبكة الرئيسية تدور حول روبارتو، رجل إيطالي غرقت سفينته ليجد نفسه هائماً في البحر على لوح خشبي يقوده إلى السفينة دافني، حيث يبدأ بالكتابة وإستعادة ذكريات حياته وإكتشاف مستقبله على تلك السفينة. السفينة تقع أمام الجزيرة التي تمر من خلالها الهاجرة التي تقسم العالم إلى نصفين، فعلى الجانب الآخر، لم ينته الأمس بعد، فالفارق الزمني أربع وعشرون ساعة.

الرواية تطرح وتتطرق لكل موضوع ممكن، الفيزياء، الجغرافيا، الدين، التاريخ، السياسة، الحب، لم يترك إيكو موضوعاً إلا وجعل ر
Victoria
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was recommended to read Umberto Eco by a friend of mine, and I was not disappointed at all.

Eco's style is a bit dense, so I can imagine it would not appeal to a lot of people. However, it's also extremely lyrical and beautiful. The book itself is littered with debates on life and death, love, the nature of God and time itself. This is probably the book's greatest strength, as Eco writes so beautifully about such lofty ideals. So for anyone who's a fan of debating or philosophy would probably e
Jonfaith
Mar 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this one in the late 90s, bought a copy for my best friend shortly thereafter. I saw Ray Rizzo with a copy one evening at Ramsi's, I told him I enjoyed it and replied that he was eager for the challenge. He later played with Days of the New. Oh, those 90s! It was all optimism and challenges were there. Hubris was our cocktail. Our survival surprises me when I consider such. I should reread this ribald novel quite soon.
Max Nemtsov
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ru-versions
Прекрасный палимпсест популярного семиолога - швы, в отличие от "Маятника Фуко", здесь не торчат, а попытка проникнуть в донаучный ум достойна восхищения. Автор, конечно, сильно лукавит по ходу, однакож убедительно эмулирует это пограничное состояние между магическим и позитивистским сознанием, из которого произрастает что угодно волшебное и удивительное. Ну и, конечно, ужас и одиночество человека перед постижением мироздания... Если сейчас человечество еще в детстве познания, то Эко пытался заф ...more
Mohammad
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
اگر ساعت هفت صبح توكيو رو به قصد هنولولو (شهري در هاوايي) ترك كنيد، ساعت چهار و نيم عصر روز قبل به مقصد مي رسيد.

پرواز یونایتد ایرلاینز در تاریخ يك ژانویه دو هزار و هفده از شانگهای پرواز کرد و در تاریخ سي و يك دسامبر دو هزار و شانزده در سانفرانسیسکو به زمین نشست.

چنانچه دقيقاً در نيمه شب در خط نصف النهار حضور داشته باشيد، اگر به سمت غرب نگاه كنيد نيمه شب جمعه را خواهيد ديد و چنانچه به شرق بنگريد هنوز هم نيمه شب پنجشنبه را خواهيد ديد.

حتي در همين قرن بيست و يك طول هاي جغرافيايي موضوعي جالب و اسرار آ
Yehia Nasser
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite
رواية معقدة مرهقة فلسفية من الدرجة الاولى

عن كل شىء ولاشىء

Gavin
Apr 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I originally read this when it first came out, but have just completed a reread.

It might be described as the ultimate shaggy dog story. Eco explores language to a large extent in this book with phrases that include multiple variations on a common stem, such as it was necessary that the necessities were provided or his intention was to intend on inattention. That kind of thing anyway.

His protagonist is stranded on a ship somewhere near the 180th meridian and writes of his past life, loves and fan
Mohamed Shady
Apr 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: إيكو
يبدو أن إيكو يملك، بجانب قدرته على الحكى، قدرة مذهلة على إثارة الملل والرغى بلا طائل..
GoldGato
I really wanted to like this book. While I'm not a big fan of Eco's books, I somehow seem to collect them, nonetheless. The premise wowed me, the cover art is righteous...and yet. And yet. The main character drove me crazy, Hamlet-style. He reminded me of the fear mongers who work 9-5 jobs, but never leave their unhappy jobs and go through life blaming others. It's like driving in the slow lane, even though all the other lanes are empty, and then getting unhappy because the slow lane is bumper-t ...more
Sep 23, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
This book fits the pattern I've come to expect in Umberto Eco's writing: an excellent story lost in a haze of random thoughts, obscure references, and all together too many words. I would love it if someone took this book's concept and turned it into the brilliant book that it deserves to be.
Judith
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary
Roberto della Griva abandons his sinking ship only to wash up aboard the mysteriously abandoned Dutch ship, Daphne. Within sight is the island of the day before, and if he could only swim, he could reach it, and change the direction of his fate.

Island of the Day Before has a deceptively simple premise, but goes way beyond it. There are actually a LOT of things going on in this book. The book not only chronicles Roberto’s days on board the Daphne, but also most of his life: from his first battle
KM
Jan 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buffs, intellectuals
Shelves: favorites
Bust out the champagne - I finished this book and my head didn't crack. It is one of the most amazing, yet difficult, books I've ever read. The story presents itself on multiple levels: narrative, metaphoric, historical, imaginative, etc. I'd give it five stars if it wasn't for the convoluted writing style, which made me want to give up numerous times. I forged ahead because the question of "what's on the island?" kept nagging me.

I loved the historical portrait of this period, when people were e
Hameed younis
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
كم مر من الزمن ولم اوجد، وكم سيمر بعد ان افنى! انني احتل فضاء ضئيلا جدا في هوة السنوات. هذه المساحة الضئيلة لا تقدر ان تميزني عن اللا شيء الذي ساغيب فيه. لم اجيء الى الدنيا الا لاكون عددا لا غير. ودوري كان من الضآلة حتى لو انني بقيت في خلفية المسرح لقال المتفرجون مع ذلك ان المهزلة كانت رائعة
ةما في الزوبعة: هناك من يغرق على الفور وآخر ينكسر على الصخور وهناك كن يبقى متشبثا بلوحة عائمة، ولكن لمدة غير طويلة. الحياة تنطفيء من تلقاء نفسها، مثل شمعة التهمت مادتها ويجب ان تعتاد على ذلك، لاننا مثل الشمعة
Ajk
Nov 27, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: folks who have a thing for medieval intellectual life but not one for modern-day literature.
Shelves: funsies, fiction
it was very long, and I did not enjoy it. Which is odd, honestly, because I loved Eco's Foucault's Pendulum - one of my favorite books. This one was a whole lot more like, well, slogging through 500 pages written by a Semiotics professor.

The plot is kind of fantastic, though. A man gets shipwrecked, latches onto a raft, and then washes up onto an abandoned ship. He can't swim, so now he's shipwrecked on a ship. this ship, of course, is riddled with secrets.

And then, lecturing ensues. It's all ab
Shelley
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
This is, by far, the most difficult novel I've ever read. I have never taken so long to finish a novel--ever. I studied the history of science and the history of early modern Europe in college (and recently refreshed my memory of both) and I'm pretty sure I caught maybe 20% of the scientific and philosophical references. At best.

As a means of putting the reader in the mindset of an early 17th century European, it's amazing. Flat out brilliant.

As a novel, it's slow, frustrating, and unsatisfyin
Scott Ford
Mar 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Umberto Eco intellectualizes within the restraints of 17th century knowledge and superstition about the physics of the earth's rotation, natural phenomena, life, death, and love- which makes for an interesting thought-experiment, but becomes tedious for any reader living in the 21st century with more than a high-school education. The story follows a young man trapped on a 17th century ship in the lagoon of an island (Solomon Island, perhaps). Between the ship and the island supposedly runs the p ...more
Basim Mahmoud

A mixture of Don Quijote and Moby Dick, had come this novel. Intending to write a study about it soon. AS usual, the magician was playing, throwing his codes, here and there, waiting for his "model reader" to interpret, (and to EXTRA-interpret), and, as I was supposing while proceeding; it's a big metaphor, or, by his tongue: " … they are mannered exercises".

Il maestro era un giocatore, un attore e un auonatore.
Abra
Aug 30, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is really the pits. A total drag. I kept idiotically dreaming it would get better after the first hundred pages (as per Eco's post script to "Name of the Rose," which is a TRUE DREAM!)...two hundred...three hundred...and then I finished it. Should have thrown it against the wall like the previous reviewer.

Gave it two stars hoping the cosmos will hand one over to
"Name of the Rose."
Around the Year i...: The Island of the Day Before, by Umberto Eco 1 10 Jan 22, 2017 10:22AM
Goodreads Librari...: Combine 2 16 Apr 25, 2015 10:43PM
LOST Connection 2 89 Apr 08, 2011 07:01PM
  • The Nonexistent Knight & The Cloven Viscount
  • Un amore
  • Manituana
  • La casa in collina
  • The Kingdom of Light (Dante Alighieri, #3)
  • Mazurka for Two Dead Men
  • A Violent Life
  • Le meraviglie del possibile: Antologia della Fantascienza
  • Imprimatur (Atto Melani, #1)
  • If the Sun Dies
  • La cognizione del dolore
  • Hunger’s Brides: A Novel of the Baroque
  • Across the Bridge: Stories
  • A Way in the World
Umberto Eco was an Italian writer of fiction, essays, academic texts, and children's books, and certainly one of the finest authors of the twentieth century. A professor of semiotics at the University of Bologna, Eco’s brilliant fiction is known for its playful use of language and symbols, its astonishing array of allusions and references, and clever use of puzzles and narrative inventions. His pe ...more
More about Umberto Eco...

“To survive, you must tell stories.” 2431 likes
“It is necessary to meditate early, and often, on the art of dying to succeed later in doing it properly just once.” 65 likes