Start by marking “A Study in Scarlet Women (Lady Sherlock, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Study in Scarlet Women (Lady Sherlock, #1)

Read Book

A Study in Scarlet Women

(Lady Sherlock #1)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  10,862 ratings  ·  2,073 reviews
With her inquisitive mind, Charlotte Holmes has never felt comfortable with the demureness expected of the fairer sex in upper class society. But even she never thought that she would become a social pariah, an outcast fending for herself on the mean streets of London.

When the city is struck by a trio of unexpected deaths and suspicion falls on her sister and her father,
Published October 18th 2016 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about A Study in Scarlet Women, please sign up.
MK Why are romance fantasies icky? A well-written story is a well-written story. Romance is something that a lot of people dream about. Listen to this…moreWhy are romance fantasies icky? A well-written story is a well-written story. Romance is something that a lot of people dream about. Listen to this author talk about why she writes in the genre: https://www.theguardian.com/books/200...

Another thing to think about is that this is a genre written by women for women. So this genre has women having agency, enjoying sex, being the center of the story. I like this quote:

"We are re-writing history with romance novels. Historicals create a narrative where a woman is empowered to choose her spouse or partner, where she consents to and enjoys sex. We are exploring history from the female viewpoint and creating fiction that is inclusive to women. In romance novels women are not silent; they are celebrated."

So if you like her writing style here, why not try one of her straight romance books? Start with the most recent ones, since early ones are usually authors finding their style. You might surprise yourself and like it.(less)

·  10,862 ratings  ·  2,073 reviews

Navessa
I fucking loved this book.

Like, hard.

Like, hard enough to come back to this sometimes toxic wasteland of book drama and talk about it.

Before you get all excited and think, "MAYBE I TOO WILL LOVE THIS BOOK", you should know that for some reason I seem to be in the minority. Most of the popular reviews for this are negative, and I honestly didn't even read them, because I didn't want to, so I have no idea why.

Suffice to say, not everyone likes this book. And that's fine.

BUT I FUCKING LOVED TH
Miranda Reads
May 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
In a time where women were were frequently told to sit down and shut up, Charlotte Holmes has always been...peculiar.

She's not dainty, delicate and definitely not demure. Her deeply inquisitive mind sets her at a disadvantage.

Her life will be miserable if she lets her parents have their way. So, she does the unthinkable.
Worrying about outcomes over which I have no control is punishing myself before
Simona Bartolotta
I read this with my book fairies/partners in crime (I can rightfully say that, given the case) Vira (a simple "thank you" is not enough <3), Nastassja and Katerina.

"Do not undervalue what you are ultimately worth because you are at a momentary disadvantage."

•I am a fan of Sherlock Holmes if you've ever met one. I'm gravely obsessed. I read all the books (four) and all the short stories (fifty-six) and I die of excitement whenever I see (a version of) him on television, whatever the series/mo
Nastassja

Buddy-read with my partners in crime (I believe I can honestly admit now that we were planning to assassinate this book) Vira (special thanks to you, my book fairy godmother), Simona, Katerina.

Before

I've been waiting for this book with a vigor of a seasoned fan; like a person dying of thirst and as if this book is the only water source for miles; like a chocolate addict who's waiting for her favorite sort of chocolate to be delivered... Okay, now you've got the picture? Add to this the fact I've

Katerina Kondrenko
2.5 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Genre: historical mystery, adult
Stuff: female Sherlock, 3 victims, investigation
Fail: plot-logic, story-structure, characters
POV: 3rd-person, multi
Love-Geometry: none (plus romance is very subtle)

Quote-Core:
"Such a tragedy. Such a waste. Such a shame."

DNFed at 35%

I was really excited
Jill
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it

"The truth is I've no idea what on earth I could possibly do with my particular talent."

Mrs Jebediah leaned forward. "And what is your particular talent?" [..]

"Discernment, I suppose." Charlotte took a deep breath. "I can tell more about you, for instance, than you would want me to know."

Things we know about Sherlock Holmes....

a) His name is really Miss Charlotte Holmes
b) She really loves to eat....
c) She's twenty-five, the youngest of four sisters
d) ....plum cake being her favourite....
e) She h
Christina ~ Brunette Reader
4,5 Stars

An artful and intriguing retelling, this time our Sherlock goes by the name of Charlotte, can't resist sweets and sports blond curls and a generous hourglass figure, but the discernment, intuition and genius are on par with the original counterpart. A brand-new mystery of its own with some devious twists leads the plot, while all the literary staples of the old formula are reinterpreted through a unique and fresh slant.
Superbly written, as usual with this author, in a narrative style
Dannii Elle
Full of gender-swapping infamous fictional figures, a slew of thrilling and suspenseful crimes, and feisty female characters vying to overthrow the patriarchy - what is not to love?
K.J. Charles
I am very very late to this series because Victorian detective novels are both my life and my largest DNF pile. I get to 20% in and all too often the author is chucking around modern phrases, ignoring all the social issues for high and low, and, if American, bloody usually randomly inserting 'bloody' into bloody places no Brit would ever put bloody it. So even though this is Sherry Thomas, I had the fear.

I needn't have. This is a cracking read, with an interesting heroine, loads of background,
Caz
I've given this an A- at AAR, which is 4.5 stars rounded up.

I admit that when I heard that Sherry Thomas, one of my favourite and without doubt one of the finest authors of Historical Romance currently writing was going to be shifting genres and embarking on a series of Historical Mysteries, my first thought was to go and curl up in the corner with a box of Kleenex. That was a fairly fleeting thought, however, as I know I’d probably read Ms. Thomas’ shopping lists; and given that I adored her YA
Lata
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
What is it with this and the last Holmes interpretation I read? I never really got the hang of this story. I found the writing confusing and I think much more editing was required. There were spelling errors present still in this published version, I found I never really got a sense of some of the characters and their relationships, and I found some of the jumping between time periods or scenes clunky. Also, the mystery driving the story forwards wasn't particularly interesting, including the ch ...more
Barbara
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: bayb-2018

In this story, set in late-1800s London, 'Sherlock Holmes' is the alias of a woman called Charlotte Holmes, who - because of society's strictures - has to do her sleuthing in the guise of a man. In this first book in the 'Lady Sherlock' series, we find out how Charlotte came to this pass.

*****

Victorian England was a restrictive place for upper class British women, who were expected to marry, have children, run a household, and spend their free time calling on other ladies and doing good works.
Lyuda
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: victorian

What if Mr. Sherlock Homes was actually Miss Charlotte Homes - a young lady with inquiring mind, trying to find independence outside of the strictures of society?
With this exquisite Sherlock Holmes’ reimagining, Sherry Thomas conquers a completely new territory and proves that she is not only terrific historical romance writer but terrific writer-period.

I want to emphases right away that:

1. The story is not a romance , although the traces of it (forbidden for now) are there and I hope
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
How had they managed to not realize, for so long, what they meant to one another? And why then must they see the light when it was too late, when they could possess no more than a few moments of ferocious mutual awareness?

With more historical mystery elements than romance, this new spin on an old classic character was immensely intriguing. The beginning was a bit schizophrenic to me and I had a little tougher time sliding into Thomas' world. Our main character Charlotte Holmes takes her time c
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
I absolutely adored this gender-swapped Sherlock Holmes story featuring the odd duck Charlotte Holmes as the madame detective. I've read - and watched - a lot of Sherlock retellings over the years, but recently, they've just been outstanding. And they only keep getting better! From Cumberbatch's portrayal to Ellie Marney's EVERY series to William Ritter's Sherlock/Doctor Who mash-up...I just can't seem to get my fill.

But a retelling in which, gasp, the detective of the hour is female, albeit sec
mith
4.5! Going to have to wait a LONG time for the next book!
For those into mystery, I would HIGHLY recommend this! The mystery is wonderful, taking the span throughout the entire book a little bit at a time. It's told through various POVs--not just Charlotte's, which came as a surprise! Major key characters aren't introduced immediately, but at intervals, which I found immensely creative! I loved all of the characters, which is quite rare for me. Each had their own faults and insecurities and it ma
Alyssa

Source: eARC from NetGalley

Summary (from Goodreads):

Lata
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While waiting for an audio hold at the library, I decided to give the audio of a book I didn't particularly like a listen. Why? Because Kate Reading. I knew what to expect from the story and the characters, and figured I couldn't be more disappointed by the book this time through. Imagine my surprise when I ended up enjoying this audiobook. I found that its faults weren't as apparent, though I was still confused by some of the actions by the culprit(s), as well as who was Lady Who and Lord What ...more
Laurie Anderson
This is everything I ever want in a cozy mystery. Please grant the author the power to write a book a day with the same quality as this one and I will devote my life to reading them and loving them.
♥Rachel♥
Oct 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, mystery
3.5 Stars

This took me a little to get into, but I was in awe of Charlotte Holmes' deductive skills, just like the legend! Love the idea that it's a woman! There was more than one mystery in play here, one major and several little with Ms. Holmes consulting, and all had me thoroughly captivated! Was less than delighted with Charlotte's initial action she thought would remove the inevitability of accepting any unwanted marriage proposals, but I think her skills don't always translate into common s
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Being an avid Sherlock fan, I couldn't miss the opportunity to read something different, something with a nice witty twist and Thomas's latest read is exactly that.

I can't even begin to tell you how much I loved this story. It was brilliant. All the right characters, in all the right roles with all the wit, humor, mystery, and danger that any Sherlock fan would adore right down to the classic 19th century London setting. Except of course, for one small difference with a very big impact, Sherloc
Gio
Dec 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Spoilers Ahead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At 50% Questions Are All I Have

Image result for questions confused gif

Why Is The Heroine In The Background Of Her Own Book?
Why Are There Multiple Points Of View?
Where Is The Romance?
Where Is The Quirky Genius Prototype That Is Sherlock Holmes???
(view spoiler)
Obsidian
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbr-2017
Please note that I gave this book 3.5 stars and rounded up to 4 stars on Goodreads.

Wow. I can honestly say that after reading "Stalking Jack the Ripper" I was hesitant to read another historical. My big pet peeve is when authors write something taking place in the Regency or Victorian era and have their heroes and heroines pretty much come ripped out of modern times with their thinking and speech. Those worries quickly vanished as I started "A Study in Scarlet Women." Based on reviews Thomas is
Kara-karina
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5
I've seen some reviews where people haven't been happy with the pace and style of this book, but let me assure you, dear readers, this is not the case for me. I loved A Study in Scarlet Women.

It's a gender-bending misfit of a book, it's awkward and slow, but there is just something about Charlotte and Co. I found irresistible.

The narration starts right in the middle of Charlotte's ruination. You see, Charlotte grew up learning everyone's secrets through her talent of discernment, but she ne
Emma
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just about 4 stars. I really enjoyed this especially the second half. The first half was a bit slow and the crimes central to the story were a bit convoluted. However it was rewarding finding out how the author could make a female Sherlock Holmes work, and in that respect she did a good job. I liked the fact that Charlotte was pretty and very feminine: it would have been intensely annoying to me had she been some frowsy old spinster type, just because she was very clever!
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
After reading A Conspiracy in Belgravia, the sequel to this book, did I just have to read A Scarlet Women to get to know Charlotte Holmes from the beginning, to learn more about what happened before the events in A Conspiracy in Belgravia. And, I just have to tell you that this book is fabulous, one of the best Sherlock Holmes series I have read besides the original stories and the Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes series by Laurie R. King.

I quite enjoyed getting to know more about Charlotte Holm
Caz
I've given this As for narration and content at AudioGals

Sherry Thomas kicks off her new Lady Sherlock series of historical mysteries in fine style with A Study in Scarlet Women. In it, she introduces listeners to the main players in a way that is engaging and extremely effective while also setting up and resolving an intriguing, self-contained mystery that paves the way for what look set to be interesting developments in future stories.

Charlotte Holmes, the youngest of the four daughters of L
Hollis
I can't quite make myself round up on this one but it was a close call by the end of the story. I have to admit : for the first 45% of A STUDY IN SCARLET WOMEN, I was soooo bored. And I'm not sure why. I've read Thomas' historicals before (though it was YA fantasy, but still), found her writing to be even more wonderful than prior experiences, but I was just.. blah.

The latter half of the story, however, is fantastic. Especially as certain characters' history is teased, then unraveled, and then l
Ally
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Utter fricking perfection.

perfect

Not a single wasted word. Masterpiece.

applause

Signed,
Don't make me wait too long for the next book!
Lady Wesley
Sherry Thomas is one of the best historical romance authors of the past decade, so I had no concerns that she could write a good historical mystery. But Sherlock Holmes? As a woman? Even though I am a long-time Sherlockian, I am not fanatical about the sanctity of Conan Doyle's canon -- so why not? I can enthusiastically report that Thomas has pulled off this challenge in a first-rate manner.

It is very easy to see Sherlock in Charlotte Holmes's personality, mannerisms, and intellect. Conan Doyl
  • A Purely Private Matter (Rosalind Thorne Mysteries, #2)
  • A Most Extraordinary Pursuit (Emmaline Truelove, #1)
  • A Treacherous Curse (Veronica Speedwell, #3)
  • The Secrets of Wishtide
  • Death Below Stairs (Kat Holloway Mysteries, #1)
  • When Falcons Fall (Sebastian St. Cyr, #11)
  • A Lady's Guide to Etiquette and Murder (A Countess of Harleigh Mystery, #1)
  • Murder on Black Swan Lane (A Wrexford & Sloane Mystery, #1)
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
  • This Side of Murder (Verity Kent, #1)
Because actual world domination is too much trouble, USA Today-bestselling author Sherry Thomas decided that her goal is life is to write every kind of book she enjoys reading. Thus far she has published romance, fantasy, mystery, and a wuxia-inspired duology. Her books regularly receive starred reviews and best-of-the-year honors from trade publications, including such outlets as the New York Tim ...more

Lady Sherlock (5 books)
  • A Conspiracy in Belgravia (Lady Sherlock, #2)
  • The Hollow of Fear (Lady Sherlock, #3)
  • The Art of Theft (Lady Sherlock, #4)
  • Untitled (Lady Sherlock, #5)
“Do not undervalue what you are ultimately worth because you are at a momentary disadvantage.” 14 likes
“Worrying about outcomes over which I have no control is punishing myself before the universe has decided whether I ought to be punished.” 8 likes