Start by marking “Addison Cooke and the Treasure of the Incas (Addison Cooke #1)” as Want to Read:
Addison Cooke and the Treasure of the Incas (Addison Cooke #1)

Addison Cooke and the Treasure of the Incas

(Addison Cooke #1)

Smooth-talking, refined twelve-year-old Addison Cooke loves a grand adventure, especially one that involves using his vast knowledge of history and archaeology, learned from his aunt and uncle, both world-famous researchers. If that adventure includes an expertly-knotted Windsor tie and an Arnold Palmer on the rocks, all the better.

Luckily for Addison, adventure has a way
Published October 11th 2016 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about Addison Cooke and the Treasure of the Incas, please sign up.
Christopher More of an action-adventure, but there is a large puzzle-solving element!

Kathryn
Molly, a sixth grader, had more than a decade of solid experience with Addison’s odd behavior. She was more or less used to it. “I ran to your classroom to find you, but Ms. Johnson said you weren’t in class all afternoon.”

“I got a nurse’s pass.”

“But you’re not sick.”

“Naturally. I got the nurse’s pass from Eddie Chang,” Addison explained. “He was sick last week. I traded him his nurse’s pass for an owl pellet.”

If you ever wondered what a middle school Ferris Bueller x Indiana Jones mash-up would
Christopher
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reminded me of The Gooonies, in the best possible way. Since Stokes is apparently a screenwriter, it fits to me that his debut book is so well-plotted. Unlike other books, this one doesn't waste any time and gets the reader off to the adventure. It's sharply written and funny to boot. It has memorable characters that remind me of 80s classic films like The Goonies and Stand By Me. And while it is obviously a work of fiction - I don't expect a bunch of 13-year-olds to gallivant around the globe l ...more
Allison Tebo
This started promisingly and the writing style was fun but as things progressed the writing style and story kept getting more and more contrived - though there were still some genuinely funny and adventurous moments through out.

But it was hard for me to turn off the 'these are children doing these dangerous things' part of my mind and all their adventures (perils) kept stressing me instead of engaging me. Plus, it got a little silly and even kind of disturbing when the children are physically ta
Jill Berry
Jul 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
I was looking forward to this book about the Incas but was dismayed by the many geographical inaccuracies. I'm surprised it passed editorial scrutiny by the publisher and that it got positive reviews from several reviewers. They must not have consulted atlases or checked facts about the Incas.

Among the reviewers, only Kirkus identified the mistakes. "First stop: Colombia. How unfortunate that significant research was evidently not done before writing the book. The Inca Empire only barely reache
Christina

This book was incredible - I couldn't put it down! I was torn between wanting to read as quickly as possible to find out what happened next and enjoying the adventure and process of reading so much that I wanted to read slowly to savor it for as long as possible. Addison Cooke is the kind of book you want to read over and over again. It's a fast paced adventure, but the writing and humor are exquisite with hilarious and well thought out details that help you discover something new every time you

Geordie Robinson
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic read, ripe with compulsive adventure, humor and history. We follow Addison, a witty bookworm with an unconventional perspective on life, and his merry gang of school friends on a journey through a Columbian-Cathedral death trap, the infested waters of the Amazon jungle and onwards to Mach Picchu in search of ancient Incan treasure.
Not only is the writing hilarious and each character uniquely fleshed-out, the overall message of the power of self-belief and positive thinking r
Christine
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read Addison Cooke to my 7-year old son. This was the first non-picture book he listened to cover to cover. It's a page-turner that kept us up late many times! He picked up a lot of new vocabulary from the book too. We would stop and talk about the scenes as we read it. We can't wait for the next adventure with the Cookes!
Amanda  Kruger
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Addison Cooke, if James Bond and Indiana Jones had a baby surely it would be this charming smooth talking character. His adventures are exciting while factually based, it is the PERFECT book for any middle grade reader. I found myself swept into Addison's fervent search for his kidnapped relatives and the most famous treasure of all time, the lost treasure of the Incas. Addison and his crew are reminiscent of The Goonies and once you turn the last page you find you miss them already.. but don't ...more
Alex
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was a lot of fun. It just felt like books I used to read that I can't find anymore. It's like The Hardy Boys if The Hardy Boys was actually good. I enjoyed the South American setting and felt like I was watching a movie as I read it. Definite recommend.
PEI Public Library Service
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The summer is a great time for new books; especially adventure stories! Addison Cooke and the Treasure of the Incas by Jonathan W. Stokes is the perfect example. Intrigue, suspense, mystery and car chases - what else would you want in a book? Stokes’ book is a great read for fans of Indiana Jones, The Hardy Boys and 39 Clues. It is chalked full of history, humor and adventure.

Addison Cooke is not your average kid. He is passionate for history, archeology, refined fashion and a cold Arnold Palme
Georgiana-Laura Gheorghe
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review for „Addison Cooke and the Treasure of the Incas” by Jonathan W. Stokes:

Addison Cooke is a twelve-year-old boy who wishes for something interesting to happen in his life just like any boy of his age. His aunt and uncle are always busy, and he only goes to school and gets back home. It’s kinda boring, isn’t it?
Everything change when his uncle discovers the first clue to what appears to be an ancient treasure. Addison finds out that the expedition isn’t easy since there are others who are s
Lupe Dominguez
So I didn’t finish this with my son like I had hoped-he took it upon himself to finish it tonight - and he loved it! He is looking forward to the next adventure with Addison and his sister Molly and their friends. I’m so glad he finally liked a book mom picked out! Ha!
Maren
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Leo read this in one day - said it was excellent. Finally got him to read something not Captain Underpants, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, or Minecraft.
Ms. Yingling
Aug 08, 2016 rated it liked it
ARC provided by the publisher

When Addison's aunt and uncle, both respected curators at the New York Museum of Archaeology, are kidnapped by the evil Russian Professor Ragar, Addison knows that he must save them. Ragar wants the Incan key that he has because it leads to an ancient treasure, and Addison figures that he can find the treasure while saving his aunt and uncle. He assembles his team (his sister Molly and friends Raj and Eddie), books a flight to Colombia, and sets off to save the day.
Vito Gutilla
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When I was a kid, I loved the Indiana Jones, the Hardy Boys, and the Goonies. This book is a perfect combination of Jones-esque adventure with Hardy-esque mystery with Goonies-esque hijynx. The plot moves constantly forward with a pleasingly predictable overall arc while also offering unexpected twists and turns along the way from scene to scene.

The real charm of this book is in the characters. Addison Cooke is by far the best, as he should be. He's a wise-cracking sixth-grade mix of James Bond
Scott Carr
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Addison Cooke and the Treasure of the Incas has done something truly exception: it's both a throwback to the great adventure stories of my childhood in books and movies (The Hardy Boys; Tom Sawyer; The Goonies) while also being fresh, fun, and topical. It's a thrill to read, with a poppy voice and lots of laugh-out-loud humor. The pace of the book is fantastic - I can see the whole story in my head because it's told with easy-to-visualize images and wonderful characterizations with dialogue that ...more
Heather Pearson
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, children
This is an awesome story. What to do when your aunt and uncle, who are your legal guardians, are abducted. If you're Addison Cooke, you call in your sister and your best friends and you plan a rescue.

As museum curators, his aunt and uncle don't lead the boring life you might expect, instead, they are often travelling to far off, exotic sounding places hunting for lost treasures. Unfortunately for all of them, this time they have found a clue that has put them in peril. With the help of his siste
Y
2.5 stars. Kinda cute, kinda humorous. The biggest problem is that the entire book, the situations, the dialogue, is very much written in the format of a children's adventure *movie*, one of those that will very much *only* appeal to young children (their parents that accompany them to the theater will likely be inwardly groaning most of the time.) If I want movie situations and movie dialog, then I'll watch a movie. From a novel, even an unrealistic one, I expect more novel-oriented writing. Th ...more
Jen
I read this for our book blog. We're having a guest reviewer (a middle grader) read and review this book for us so I wanted to read it too.

I'm clearly not the target audience and so it's hard for me to review it fairly and thus I'm not going to give it a star rating. I did like the incorporation of some historical information about the incas but the plot was way over the top for me (children traipsing through the Amazon forest with great ease, then outswimming caimans and surviving falls over wa
Alanna
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great read and fun adventure! Addison Cooke somehow manages to make being a nerd sound cool. I'm all for a book that influences children to like history and formal attire. This story points out the value of family and friendships. I highly recommend this read to any parent hoping to find a gift for their child. The humor and adventure along with some decent vocabulary words will spark the interest of any reader while secretly giving them some life lessons too. While a children's book, I like t ...more
Becky
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a good paced adventure that will suck in any middle grade readers. The adventure starts right away and doesn't stop. Along with all the action there is the chance for readers to learn more about central and South American geography and some culture. The idea of the Russian mobsters is also interesting.
Maybelyn Plecic
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hard-cover-books
Great read for any age who is interested in adventure, mystery and a great life lessons of survival and prioritizing what is important.
Julia
May 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
I do not remember exactly when I read it, but it was sometime this year? I am behind on reviewing books. So ignore the dates down below; I read it over a couple weeks, not in one day.

CONS OF ADDISON COOKE AND THE TREASURE OF THE INCAS

There was literally no plot line whatsoever. The whole book was dedicated to attempting to be funny.

Note that I said 'attempting', not 'being'. The most I did was snort slightly at a joke once.

The characters were flat. There was no real change in them throughout the
April
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Addison Cooke takes the reader, his sister Molly and friends Eddie and Raj on a wild ride through Columbia, Ecuador and Peru. Addison is in search of the lost Inca treasure of Atahualpa. Evil forces have kidnapped his aunt and uncle, so Addison sets out with Molly and friends to get to the treasure before they do. Many parts of the story are pretty unbelievable, but it is a fun read.
I am on the fence as to what message it sends to kids. On the one hand it teaches independence but I think any di
Hannah Belyea
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When their aunt and uncle are kidnapped by treasure hunters, Addison and Molly drag their friends Raj and Eddie on a trip to Colombia to rescue their family, and find a treasure that has been hidden for over five hundred years. Stokes will astound young readers and fans of adventure with this witty and fast-paced novel, peppered with close calls and shocking booby traps. How can a couple of kids outwit a band of professional hunters willing to do whatever it takes to get what they want?
Joan Marie
12-year-0ld Addison, his sister, Molly, and two of his friends are on a mission to save his aunt and uncle (who happen to be archaeologists) who were kidnapped by thieves in search of ancient treasure. Full of adventure, danger, and even a bit of humor, the kids rise to the occasion and succeed. Which leads to another opportunity, on another adventure, to solve another archaeological mystery, albeit NOT another a kidnapping.
Shona
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read! I picked this book for my 11 year old grandson to read this summer. I have been reading it with him so we can discuss it together. To my surprise it was rather good. Think about the Indiana Jones series replacing the lead actor with a 12 year old boy along with his cast of characters, and you have an idea. I think I found my grandson a winner!
Goshen PL Childrens
I felt like so many of the other reviewers... it was a fun adventure that makes you feel like you're on a Goonies adventure. Some of it is unrealistic (kids flying off to parts unknown, with not adults) but let's face it, it's supposed to be a fun, adventure. I can think of several kids that will jump into the book and have a heyday of reading.

Great for ages 3rd grade and up.
Ahdom
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-kids-reads
As soon as I had heard of this series I added it to read to my kids. This was totally the type of book I would have read when I was younger. It's an Indiana Jones type adveture with a kid ensemble. We love adventures and this story was full of it and plenty of humor too. I hope they want to check out the next book as badly as I do!
Rohan D
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great realistic fiction book. Addison and his crew are very adventurous, taking many risks. In this book, they go on to find 3 keys, to discover the unknown treasure. Read this thriller to find out!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Book Review 1 4 Nov 08, 2017 01:15PM

• The Eureka Key (Secrets of the Seven, #1)
  • Big & Little Questions (According to Wren Jo Byrd)
  • Isabel Feeney, Star Reporter
  • The Adventurer's Guide to Successful Escapes
  • Summer at Forsaken Lake
  • Ryan Quinn and the Rebel's Escape (Ryan Quinn #1)
  • Dead Air (The Kat Sinclair Files #1)
  • The Fast and the Furriest
  • Clemency Pogue: Fairy Killer (Clemency Pogue #1)
  • Charlie Bumpers vs. the Teacher of the Year
  • The Matchstick Castle
  • The Ark,the Reed,and the Fire Cloud (The Amazing Tales of Max & Liz #1)
  • Will in Scarlet
  • The Detective's Assistant
  • Meet the Bigfeet (The Yeti Files, #1)
  • The Unlikely Adventures of Mabel Jones (Mabel Jones, #1)
  • The Emperor's Riddle
  • Captain Jack and the Pirates
Jonathan Stokes is a screenwriter living in Los Angeles. He has written on assignment for Fox, Paramount, Universal, Warner Brothers, New Line, and Sony. He is the author of several upcoming kids' books being published by Penguin Random House. Jonathan is a street taco aficionado, an urban explorer, and koala enthusiast.

Addison Cooke (3 books)
  • Addison Cooke and the Tomb of the Khan (Addison Cooke #2)
  • Addison Cooke and the Ring of Destiny (Addison Cooke #3)