Start by marking “Gods of Nabban (Marakand #3)” as Want to Read:
Gods of Nabban (Marakand #3)

Gods of Nabban

(Gods of the Caravan Road #4)

The fugitive slave Ghu has ended the assassin Ahjvar's century-long possession by a murderous and hungry ghost, but at great cost. Heir of the dying gods of Nabban, he is drawn back to the empire he fled as a boy, journeying east on the caravan road with Ahjvar at his side.

Haunted by memory of those he has slain, Ahjvar is ill in mind and body, a danger to those about him
Published September 6th 2016 by Pyr (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Gods of Nabban, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gods of Nabban

Start your review of Gods of Nabban (Marakand #3)
Tom Lloyd
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lyrical and beguiling fantasy of gods and tortured souls, of grand magics and human frailty. A wonderful series that stands well above your average epic.

This is a great book, building on the previous volumes to great effect and showing a deeper understanding and deft hand all the while. Denser prose, but not self-indulgent and tightly focused on Ghu and Ahjvar, Johansen's prose skills are just improving on an already impressive set and the result is often simply beautiful. There's a curious dr
Blodeuedd Finland
Sep 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The last book ended with Ghu and Ahjvan leaving for Nabban, and in this book they are on their way. We only meet 2 old characters, Ivah and Yeh-Lin (who used to rule Nabban and who sort of killed all their gods, but not really they all formed Mother and Father to fight her.) This all has a point since Mother and Father are dying and Nabban needs gods.

But first we have Ghu, a former slave, now a god to be? All very strange.
Then there is Ahjvan who gets more effed up with each book. At least he do
Kelly
The idea of a god and an assassin traveling together is what enticed me to request Gods of Nabban by K.V. Johansen from publisher, Pyr. The unlikely pairing alone promises a good read. But there’s more. These two have a long and torturous history. One is a fugitive slave and the other was formerly possessed by a ghost. One is described as innocent, the other a madman. The best is yet to come, however. These two share a bond closer than friendship. The sort of love that can only arise from holdin ...more
Allison
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
RTC
Grace Troxel
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I wish I could include half stars on Goodreads--this is a 3.5.

This review originally appeared on my blog, Books Without Any Pictures:

Gods of Nabban is set in K.V. Johansen’s world of Marakand. It’s a lush fantasy world where even gods may rise and fall like empires. This is the story of Ghu, a runaway slave who is slowly transforming into the god of Nabban, and Ahjavar, a man he rescued from possession by a devil. Ahjavar has severe PTSD from his former po
James Latimer
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hidden-gems, women
My words can't really do it justice, suffice to say this is a gorgeous, intricately-woven tale, the creation myth of a reborn nation, a love story, a war story, a self-contained epic that is a strand of a larger tapestry I hope has more to come, the satisfying end of many journeys - but not all.
Ian McKinley
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How do you love a god? What do you do if the person you love is set to become one? What does it mean to control one's demons, both literally and figuratively?

These are questions at the heart of this tale following on from the end of Johansen's previous novel, Marakand (in, first, The Leopard, then, The Lady). Avid readers of this author will recognize a few of the key characters from previous works taking up the saga of the seven devils. The characters who carry forth the story are the most inte
Guillermo
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, series
The author's ability to write utterly compelling character-driven narratives continues mostly unabated in this book. There are some minor flaws that to my mind make some parts of it less gripping than The Lady was, but even so the book remains an excellent read.

More than anything else, Gods of Nabban is the story of Ghu and Ahjvar. We've seen glimpses, in the past instalments, of their attachment to each other, of Ahj's troubled badasssery and Ghu's understated competence. But it is here we real
Patrick Stirling
Maybe 3 1/2 stars - 3 star reviews are the hardest, I think.
I loved the first book in this series, Blackdog, and my library doesn't have the next two. Plus, the series order isn't clear as the next two have a different series name, and from the blurb and reviews it seemed that this book, Gods Of Nabban, is standalone (although of course in the same universe). Well, I think it would help to read the intervening books - The Leopard and The Lady. This book continues the story of characters from tho
Tomas M
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great conclusion to the series; after a weaker second book, the character surrounding the Leopard and the other minor characters are concluded in a very compelling way. I really enjoyed the foreshadowing in the previous books, and the way that none of the characters have forgotten events that occurred to them which are used as a meaningful basis for feelings and action.

Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me in some ways of Steven Erikson's books--a richly textured world, complicated characters, and a challenging sense of language. Though it wasn't an easy read, I found myself drawn into the story and finished it much more quickly than most epic fantasies I start reading.
Ken Rideout
Didn't finish. Couldn't really get into with its host of characters and their complex backstories. Maybe try it again one day?

I just realized this is the 3rd in series - hence the issue I imagine. I'll try the first book if I come across it.
Dorkthropology
A very satisfying end to the end of Ahjvar and Ghu's story arcs. I saw this book first and am glad I checked this series out.

Ahjvar and Ghu's developing relationship and changing dynamic over the course of the books was EXCELLENT, and I loved how things were handled here.

Now that I've read from the beginning, I also love Ivah's story arc a lot. These books are definite favorites that I appreciate much more on a re-read.
Kendra Morgan
Oct 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kendra by: Goodreads Giveaways
Shelves: reviewed
Very difficult to read. It seemed to be following at least 3 different stories and there was only one that I could really follow.
Adam
Oct 27, 2019
Hannah
Jun 06, 2019

• The Unspoken Name
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)
  • Shorefall (Founders, #2)
  • Middlegame (Middlegame, #1)
  • The Rage of Dragons (The Burning, #1)
  • ソードアート・オンライン オルタナティブ ガンゲイル・オンライン V ─サード・スクワッド・ジャム ビトレイヤーズ・チョイス〈下〉─
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • The Poet (Jack McEvoy, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #5)
  • A Blight of Blackwings (Seven Kennings, #2)
  • Age of Death (The Legends of the First Empire, #5)
  • Of Killers and Kings (The Elder Empire: Shadow, #3)
  • Dragon of Ash & Stars: The Autobiography of a Night Dragon
  • The Rhythm Section (Stephanie Patrick #1)
  • The Shadowed Sun (Dreamblood, #2)
  • The Light Brigade
  • Sovereign (Matthew Shardlake, #3)
Mostly, I write fantasy (epic fantasy ... character-driven epic fantasy ... with shapeshifters, demons, gods, and ... Moth, around whom even the gods get a bit nervous). These days, I largely write for adults, though I've written many children's and YA fantasy novels and some children's science fiction, as well as picture books, plus I've been known to perpetrate literary criticism.

Gods of the Na

Gods of the Caravan Road (5 books)
  • Blackdog
  • The Leopard (Marakand, #1)
  • The Lady (Marakand, #2)
  • The Last Road