Start by marking “Dead Feminists: Historic Heroines in Living Color” as Want to Read:
Dead Feminists: Historic Heroines in Living Color

Dead Feminists: Historic Heroines in Living Color

This gorgeously illustrated letterpress-inspired book combines feminist history with a vision for a better future. Based on the beloved Dead Feminists letterpress poster series, this illuminating look at 27 women who ve changed the world features a foreword by Jill Lepore, author of The Secret History of Wonder Woman. Intricate and beautiful broadside art takes center stag ...more
Published October 7th 2016 by Sasquatch Books

To ask other readers questions about Dead Feminists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Feminists

Start your review of Dead Feminists: Historic Heroines in Living Color
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

DEAD FEMINISTS combines three of my favorite things - art, history, and feminism. This creative effort uses the art of the letterpress to create gorgeous, vintage-inspired broadsides featuring literal and also figurative portraits of the women contained herein. Sometimes, books about famous feminist figures start to look an awful lot like trivia night at the local bar: you see the same faces, over and over again, and it gets old, fast. N
Elizabeth
top-notch visual stories about the political power of women throughout history.

AMAZING.

Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
What a beautifully designed book! It's like an older posters campaign book, full of typography and illustrations about many women who made a difference through history. I'm sure there are many other women, but these women mentioned here are remarkable.

It's beautiful to see women fight for a better life even before the word "feminist" existed, even before any concept. It's just in some women's nature to fight back.

Devann
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

This was really great. The book features several different sections [Make, Lead, Play, etc] and each section features three feminists whose primary work fits into that category. Each feminist featured has a portrait with a short blurb about her life / work and also several secondary historical pictures / diagrams related to her particular topic. Each feminist also gets a full page poster designed around her work a
Jennie
Absolutely gorgeous letterpress posters designed around quotes from historical (dead!) feminists. If you love typography and illustration in addition to equal pay and equal rights, you're going to love this one.
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
An art collective started making broadsides, to commemorate famous women in history, but also to raise money for various causes. They have been doing this for a number of years, and decided to collect all of these broadsides into a book.

But what good would such a book be, if you knew nothing about the women that inspired these. So each of the braodsides, which were created, have a breakdown of why the symbles used, and text used were done, plus a short bio of each woman. And perhaps you think yo
Lauren
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Really wanted to love this book. I accept most of the blame for my critical review, as I wish I'd realized that it wasn't meant to be a meaty read. Would recommend more for those who have a keen interest in letterpress rather than for those who have a keen interest in learning the finer details of Dead Feminists.

The broadsheets are very beautiful, don't get me wrong. As a whole, however, this didn't meet my expectations.
Catherine
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-nonfiction
I liked this a lot. It's a rare thing to find a book focused on art that also lets you learn what the artist's inspiration was as well as how they put the pieces together. I've been a big admirer of their work for a few years now so I was glad to see that they got the opportunity to do a book on their series. The reproductions are beautiful and the stories are interesting, even the choices that baffle me a little. And it's even cooler to see something this focused on women who've brought so much ...more
Weronika Zimna
Beautiful and informative. It raises important issues and handles them perfectly. The artwork is amazing. My only wish is that I had received a print copy - this doesn't work so well as an ebook.
LynnDee (LynnDee's Library)
This was a really neat take on "dead feminists", and I really liked how the book was structured with the different chapters (ie. Make, Lead, Play, etc.). Some of the ladies I had heard of before but a lot I hadn't which I also appreciated because I always love learning about new fabulous ladies. The authors took a lot of care into how they created their broadsides and why they created them. A great read for those who love reading about feminism and art.
Ronald Lett
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gender-studies
A beautifully illustrated book on important women from the past and near present that are often overlooked in the usual courses of standard instruction and everyday media. While the descriptions for each person are relatively short, there are several very obscure heroines that were brought back into the spotlight by these authors that would inspire any reader to try to find out more about them on their own.
Laura Anne
Honestly this was a portfolio of art and historical information wrapped in vivid color. Dead feminists is an intersectional feminist look at history's women and their lives.
This history is then put in a modern framework involving one of today's civil rights issues.
Though biased, in these turbulent times I felt I needed something to make me feel like I am capable of becoming a strong woman. This bias gave me traction to participate in the women's March yesterday.
Solo.
I took on the crowd of over
Gorgeous book, from the cover to the featured broadsides to the super thick high quality paper. This is the perfect read for this moment, to get fired up and inspired by bad-ass historical ladies of all types & from all time periods. There's only a few pages on each "dead feminist," but it's the perfect amount to get you interested so you can reach out for more info on whoever you find especially fascinating. ...more
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Jennie
Cover Story: Big Face: Cameo Edition
Talky Talk: A Woman’s Work Is Never Done
Arty Art: Modern Issues, Historical Words
Study Buddies: Annie Oakley, Shirley Chisholm
Extra Credit: Timely
Class Standing: A+ Rabble Rouser

Read the full book report here.
Julie
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fascinating and so visually appealing. I love that each profile includes a page that shows the inspiration for the colors, typefaces and decorative elements for each broadside. I also love that both O'Leary and Spring are local to me, and I hope to see their broadsides in person someday.
Melanie  Hilliard
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has all the things! Troublesome feminists, inspirational quotes, letter press broadsides and the artists political thoughts to boot. This book can be loved and appreciated by people of all ages, so have at it friends, readers and artists, happy reading!
BiblioBrandie
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2016
Loved it! Loved the art work, the brief bios, the process... I hope to own one of their broadsides someday!
Beth
We all know the history books are full of "dead white men" - so here's one from a different perspective, that of "dead feminists." It's based on a collection of small-batch letterpress "broadsides" (posters) highlighting women throughout history - yes, the famous "suffragettes" and figureheads of the women's movements, but also women who shattered societal norms for women of their day in other ways - as writers, entrepreneurs, scientists, entertainers, educators and more.

In addition to the biogr
Kathleen
This is a book of broadsheets for feminists, and as such is right up the alley of pretty much anyone likely to read a review of mine. The art of each broadside (old-timey-style-political-poster) is as unique as the woman they depict. The short biographical introduction of the feminist in question is interesting and informative, of course, but if you pick this book up you're doing it to peruse the broadsides. And they are fun, beautiful, and informative, so really there's no bad there.

This is a
Camille
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
What an amazing project Dead Feminists is. It's not only clever, but also beautifully designed. You can tell there was so much thought put into the creation of each project.
For each broadside, you get some background information on who the feminist was and what she did, but also on the creation process. The broadside creation process is as fascinating as the lives of these women, and the result is a wonderful work of art.
A must-see project!

Disclaimer - I received a free review copy from Sasqua
Katie
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/5 stars. A lot of this book was about how they made poster prints for each quote, and to be honest their posters weren't that good. Some of them were beautiful but a lot of them were really chaotic and hard to read. I did appreciate that this book brought so many women I had never heard of to my attention but it felt like a teaser that spurred me towards more personal research. All in all interesting and definitely worth looking through but way less content-filled than expected.
Rory
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
GORGEOUS, joyful book, and dipping into it was good for my wannabe-4th-wave soul. Generously annotated and beautifully laid-out volume of O'Leary and Spring's incredible broadside poster series. For the first time, I wish GoodReads let you upload images to your reviews! I guess just click here, dudettes: http://www.deadfeminists.com/broadsid... ...more
Mindy Kannon
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great book given to me by my daughter-in-law. Tons of information about some really interesting women. A must read.
Shlee
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a neat anthology of awesome women with a beautiful selection of art! Would love to own one of their original broadsides.
Sarah -  All The Book Blog Names Are Taken
The broadsides are beautiful, I would love to see all of these as originals and not reproductions in a book.
Susan
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very unique book. Telling the story of each dead feminist in words and then creating an accompaniment broadside - a poster that has typically been used to promote political causes was ingenious.

I was also intrigued by some of the feminists they highlighted. The authors presented a good case for some of these less known and questionable feminists. Really worth reading and taking in the artwork of the broadsides. Would be an excellent coffee table book for the feminists in your life.
Zosia
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is incredible. History is definitely not a favourite subject of mine but this book was so interesting and it’s amazing to hear about women in history for once. In history books everything’s about the male leader and shit like that but women are never accredited for what they do, so many incredible women in this book who in most cases I’d never heard of because of male dominance. Bloody loved it, would 100% recommend. ☺️
Katie Bruce
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really fascinating work that reflects the intersection of feminism, history, and the creation and consumption of art
Jennybeast
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am finding great comfort and inspiration in this book, Dead Feminists, as I read about women who fought for things, who accomplished things, who were thoughtful and vibrant and ferocious. I am equally delighted that the book is by two of my printing friends, Jessica Spring and Chandler O'Leary, and is all about letterpress as well. It's a thing of beauty, and of voice.

Also, a remarkably accessible and interesting history book.
LobsterGal
Nov 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book was strange. Soooo to start off each feminist had six pages they had one page dedicated to the art the writers made for the feminist and then a page to explain it. Then there were about 1.5 to 2 pages of pictures. So in total about 1.5-2 pages worth of information on each feminist. Now i know that they were really into art but i've read wikipedia articles longer. Its more of a coffee table book than anything.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Odd Girls and Twilight Lovers: A History of Lesbian Life in Twentieth-Century America
  • Our Declaration: A Reading of the Declaration of Independence in Defense of Equality
  • The Book of the Bird: Birds in Art
  • Heart of Coal
  • The Denniston Rose (The Denniston Rose #1)
  • Heaven's Net Is Wide (Tales of the Otori, #0)
  • The Revolution Starts at Home: Confronting Intimate Violence Within Activist Communities
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Chronicles I: Art & Design
  • The Amityville Horror II
  • Speak Freely: Why Universities Must Defend Free Speech
  • The Harsh Cry of the Heron (Tales of the Otori, #4)
  • The Shrine (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #16)
  • The Lord of the Rings: Official Movie Guide
  • The Witches: Plays for Children
  • The Constitution of the United States of America, with the Bill of Rights and All of the Amendments; The Declaration of Independence; And the Articles
  • Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol
  • The Toybreaker (Dr Hannah Nightingale, #1)
  • Anger Man (Dr Hannah Nightingale, #2)
Chandler O'Leary is an illustrator and lettering artist based in Tacoma, Washington. A graduate of the Rhode Island School of Design, she is the proprietor of a small stationery imprint called Anagram Press. She is also the author and artist behind the illustrated travel blog, Drawn the Road Again. Her illustrated road trip guide, The Best Coast: A Road Trip Atlas, was published by Sasquatch Books ...more