Start by marking “The Legion of Regrettable Supervillains: Oddball Criminals from Comic Book History” as Want to Read:

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  179 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Meet the lesser of all evils!
Every hero needs a villain. But not all villains are dangerous--some are incompetent, comical, or just . . . weird. In his follow-up to The League of Regrettable Superheroes, author Jon Morris presents over a hundred of the strangest, most stupefying supervillains to ever see print in comics. Meet D-list rogues like Brickbat (choice of weapon:
Published March 2017 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about The Legion of Regrettable Supervillains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legion of Regrettable Supervillains

Glen
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
An overview of regrettable villains in comic books through the years. I feel like Morris has just scratched the surface here. If I thought about it, I could probably come up with a bunch more.

Pretty good. Funny in a snarky sort of way.
Brian Poole
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Legion of Regrettable Supervillains is a fun romp through decades of bizarre, questionable, loopy and downright confounding comic book creations.

Like its predecessor, The League of Regrettable Superheroes: Half-Baked Heroes from Comic Book History, Legion takes a chronological deep dive through the back bins and archive editions of numerous comic book publishers, large, microscopic and everything in between, to find and mock some of the more offbeat bad guys to bedevil a host of colorful her
Rob Thompson
Like its predecessor, The League of Regrettable Superheroes, Legion takes a chronological peep into the comic book archives. These offbeat bad guys to bedevil a host of colorful heroes. Genre fans will marvel at how many evil scientists, Nazi war criminals, ape-themed villains exist.

The book covers every publishing house and sorts them by their age in comics history. In the Golden Age, you can learn about the Horrible Hand, the Balloon Maker, and Mother Goose. The Silver Age has Animal-Vegetable
Amanda Peterson
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
An entertaining read like its predecessor League of Regrettable Heroes, it was interesting the facts about some of the villains like Veda, Ghetto Blaster, and many more. I wonder is some of the characters can be retooled for today’s comics.
Andretta Schellinger
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Odd look at the super villains that weren't super/
Mark
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
From the bizarre to the ridiculous, "The Legion Of Regrettable Supervillains" chronicles some of the strangest criminals to grace the comics from the golden age to the present.
This companion volume to "The League Of Regrettable Superheroes" is just as hilarious as it's predecessor, showcasing such baddies as Bloor, Dictator of Uranus; and a giant disembodied hand, aptly called The Horrible Hand. These and many more grace the pages in this catalog of the absurd.
Rex Hurst
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it

The sequel to the fun League of Regrettable Super-Heroes, this volumes delves into the insane and ridiculous villains faced by various superheroes over the decades. Quite frankly they could easily make two to three more volumes in this theme, as the number of super-villains must outnumber the superheroes by ten to one. It can’t be easy to have to come up with interesting and new villains over time. As the book points out eventually all of the cool animal names will be taken, leaving the dregs s
Stephanie Cooke
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quirk Books has really been doing a lot within the geek realm for the last little while between Fangirl’s Guide to the Galaxy and Wonder Women both by Sam Maggs, Spectacular Sisterhood of Superwomen by Hope Nicholson, Geekerella and more, they’ve been making way as a publisher that will put out content for that awesome group of people who’ve been neglected for so long.

In the same realm of the books above, Jon Morris wrote a book that isn’t about superheroes, but rather he focuses on the supervil
Gordon Mcghie
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Factual books talking about fictional stories are brilliant distractions. I have shelves of books which break down all 36 seasons of Doctor Who. Star Trek is also well represented as are volumes on Spider-man characters, every hero ever to be an Avenger, Batman through the years and even a Thunderbirds anthology. So when Quirk Books kindly let me review The Legion of Regrettable Super Villains I was like a kid in a sweet shop (or a reader locked in a bookshop).

Jon Morris has trawled the archives
Kelly Sedinger
OK, I didn't read this book cover-to-cover. It's more of a "dipping" kind of book, though, so I don't think it matters. It's still fun. I'm glad I checked it out of the library.

Basically, this book exists because let's face it: even though superhero comics tend to come out monthly, not every villain can be Lex Luthor, the Cheetah, or Doc Ock. There must be a LOT of times when comics writers are hard-pressed to come up with a suitable villain for their stories, and this book collects a number of
Ann Rufo
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
If you've read Morris' other book, you're already familiar with just how wacky of a character a comic book can come up with. Only this time, with supervillans replacing superheroes as Morris' focuses, you also learn just how embarrassingly racist, xenophobic and sexist a comic book can be. I can't decide which would be more fun to think up: a superhero or a supervillan. As I've never tried to do either I maybe shouldn't judge, and yet Moriss makes it so very easy to wonder what the hell people w ...more
Amy Pellicer
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting read on some unique comic book super villains from days gone by! I enjoyed reading the history behind these lesser known comic book villains and which heroes they were connected to, the artists that created them, and seeing the original comic book covers. The artwork is very interesting and helps to describe what was popular during that particular time period! This would be a GREAT read for anyone who is a fan of comic books, or enjoys reading the history behind the early days of the ...more
Sharon
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the companion volume to "The Legion of Regrettable Superheroes" and is every bit as entertaining. Jon Morris traces the history of comics through such misbegotten villains as The Horrible Hand, Dr. Cesspoole, and Reefer King, among many others. Morris' wry commentary makes these absurd characters even more hilarious, and it's interesting to see how fine a line there is between the super villains we all know and love to hate (the Joker, Dr. Doom, Bane, Poison Ivy) and those that just aren ...more
Nelson Holmes
This was a fun and interesting read. The book examines a laundry list of villains that have mostly fallen through the cracks over the years. These mostly one hit blunders are grouped together by chronological period. Each villain is accompanied with a brief blurb about origin and the story(ies) they were in. Readers of Squirrel Girl will recognize several of the villains from Deadpool's Guide to Super Villain cards. From minor chuckles through insights into the concerns and values of different d ...more
Rachel
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
More crazy characters and fun facts from the golden age of comics up until the 1990's. The Legion of Regrettable Super Villains is the counterpart to Jon Morris' The League of Regrettable Super Heroes. Every feature showcases full page artwork from the original comics, and a commentary which delves into the background of the villains and the heroes they fight; often he details a specific fight. Morris writes in a conversational and sensationally cheesy manner that befits these stories, which mak ...more
Joseph
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I read the regrettable hero's and I figured let's do this one as well. I will say I am glad I did the Hero's first. This book was well done for the most part. The research is top notch. I am just surprised more the regrettable villains were not from the regrettable hero's comics. The Hero's were horrible for the most part. And I will say there were a few OK ones that weren't that regrettable.

I did skim this over as opposed to reading through everything though. I just don't have enough time in my
to'c
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with an interest in comical comic villains.
Like the previous The Legion of Regrettable Superheroes> this book was a fun romp thru the history of oddball comic book villains that just didn't make the grade. And every single one of them belongs in the legion! Read it for fun.

My only regret is that Black Hole was not included. Starting a life of crime after a miniature black hole became embedded in his chest young Morton Kribbee possessed the power to suck anything into himself. How lame a power is that?
Matevž
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting collection of villains, some know some completely unknown.
The good thing about this book is that it nicely collects them together, and provides some of their bios.

I would however like to see some more information about each villain - last appearance, number of victories etc., since some of the descriptions feel a tad empty.
Julia
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This book is so much fun; I really enjoyed it, and laughed often while reading it. And the neat thing about it is that you don't have to be a huge, huge comic book type of person to enjoy it. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy comics, and read them, but, I'm not a super-duper into it the way some people are, and, yet, I still loved this book. I like how it appeals to everyone, from people mildly interested in comics, to the biggest, geekiest fan. Loved the illustrations, and the book is beautifully pr ...more
Matthew Sciarrino
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very creative. Loads of fun.

Lots of great, beyond forgotten villains. Book is put together well. The villain. The super-hero nemesis. The story. And then a few panels or a page from a comic. Very fun book.
Tara Timmins
May 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Too many villains with not enough story about them. The comic strips are pointless seeing as the are only short half page pieces.
Jennifer Jimenez
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Cool book about some not so cool super villains! A good gift for comic book lovers.
Jeff Schmitt
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Meh
Derek Royal
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Outstanding, and a great follow-up to 2015's League of Regrettable Superheroes. More, please!
Craig Shields
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, culture
Companion book to the equally amusing "League of Regrettable Superheroes". Does what it says on the tin.
Abraham Ray
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book of unusual comic book villains!
Scott Meesey
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun trip through the oddities of the human mind. After all, when more and more good ideas get taken, the new ideas get stranger and stranger.
Mark Evans
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun enough, but it could be snarkier and there are definitely some grade-z villains that were missed. I’m thinking of heroic Green Goblin’s pog-based villain The Steel Slammer off the top of my head.
Oliver Bateman
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
fun pictures, ok copy, great design. wonderful addition to any coffee table. if you liked the first one, why not buy the second? we freelancers all need to eat!
Melanie Wilson
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Legion Of Regrettable Super Villains-Jon Morris

A nice read to pass time about Oddball criminals from Comic Book History.

I received this book through Goodreads
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Sex Object
    $9.74 $2.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Dark Alliance: The CIA, the Contras, and the Crack Cocaine Explosion
    $16.99 $3.99
  • Denial [Movie Tie-in]: Holocaust History on Trial
    $11.99 $1.99
  • A Very English Scandal: Sex, Lies, and a Murder Plot at the Heart of the Establishment
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Call the Midwife: Farewell to the East End
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Gomorrah: A Personal Journey into the Violent International Empire of Naples' Organized Crime System
    $9.99 $3.99
  • All Creatures Great and Small  (All Creatures Great and Small, #1)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race
  • Cheaper by the Dozen