Start by marking “Applesauce Weather” as Want to Read:
Applesauce Weather

Applesauce Weather

In a touching poetic novel, a fall apple ritualalong with some inventive storytellingbrings a family together as they grieve the loss of a beloved family member.

When the first apple falls from the tree, Faith and Peter know that its applesauce weather, even though Peter is getting a little old for such things. It also means Uncle Arthur should be here to tell his stories,
Published August 9th 2016 by Candlewick Press

Start your review of Applesauce Weather
Tricia
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The brilliant Helen Frost whittles words the same way Uncle Arthur does wood, creating beauty that's solid and true.
Conner
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Its an amazing book about sadness and loving heartwarming stories told by a kids grandpa! Multiple point of views about the kids that listen to the stories! amazing book!
Jenny
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
My 9 year old read this to me. It's a lovely novel in verse. It features a brother and sister, Peter and Faith, and their great uncle, Arthur. Arthur's wife, Lucy, died not long before, and they all miss her. This is a love story...love between husband and wife, love between siblings, love for extended family members, and also love of stories/storytelling. Arthur is missing half a finger and Faith and Peter want to know how Arthur lost his finger. But he always makes up crazy stories about his ...more
Caroline
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very sweet collection of poems that deal with recovering from a loss, the importance of story telling, and the love of a family. I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone, but especially to anyone who loves to hear the way a good story is spun.
Christine
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Applesauce Weather is a beautiful novel told in verse that is crisp and sweet, much like an apple, from the first bite to the last. When Uncle Arthur finally makes it back to the farm for the apple harvest he is a shell of his former self after losing his darling Lucy. Can the power of love and storytelling bring the sparkle back to his eyes? Faith and Peter find ways to bring their beloved Uncle back to his cheery, storytelling, thoughtful old self. And by the way... how did Uncle Arthur really ...more
Joy Lane
For the young reader that is just getting into stories. At 103 pages and with the style of writing, in a kind of poetry form, as well as splitting between who is speaking/thinking will be helpful to those who are getting a handle on reading phrases and sentences.
Katherine
"Some days I wish I could go back in life. Not to change anything, but to feel a few things twice."

A story as sweet at the applesauce its named after. This story about grieving the ones we lost and cherishing the memories they leave behind will touch readers who can identify with the main themes of love, loss and remembrance.
Linda
Applesauce Weather is a short, sweet verse novel from Helen Frost, whose books are always a pleasure. The apples are ready, and it's applesauce weather, but Aunt Lucy passed on last year, and young Faith sits outside, waiting, waiting to see if Uncle Arthur will come anyway. He does, with his whimsical stories, especially the one that tells how he lost part of a finger. The "how" stories are always met with skepticism by Peter, Faith's older brother, who listens, but tries hard to show he isn't ...more
Liz B
I am a pretty harsh critic of novels/stories in verse written for kids (whether small children or teenagers). I can tell because (particularly for picture books) there are just usually no bad reviews at all. So I kind of feel bad for critiquing these books. Even when I give a low rating, I know (from my own experience) that they serve a purpose.

It's just that that purpose so often has NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY ACTUAL POETRY. It's just paragraphs with funny line breaks. It makes the book look
Bekah
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: intermediate-3-5
Applesauce Weather (2016)
by Helen Frost
Book in Verse
Applesauce Weather is a wonderful story about continuing on after the loss of a loved one. It is made all the more beautiful by being told in verse. Faith and Peter are awaiting the arrival of Uncle Arthur who comes every year during apple picking time. This year is different though, because Aunt Lucy won't be coming with him. Aunt Lucy is greatly missed, and Uncle Arthur seems different, but as the story progresses, each person discovers the
Rosalie Beyer-Krohn
It is Uncle Arthurs first visit since his wife passed away and Faith is desperate for one of his crazy stories. He tells a story about his most prized possession before passing it along to Faiths brother, but his gift for Faith proves to be the most valuable of all - the gift of storytelling!

Genre: Contemporary Realistic Fiction. The story is realistic and relatable for todays children. It is a story of self-discovery.

Reading Level: Q

Writing Mentor Trait: Voice - The story is told from
Stan
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Written with tenderness and a light touch, this book deals with some heavy subject matter, but cleverly manages to show two sides of the moment. A grandfather, teller of tales, is coming to grips with the loss of his wife, the love of his life. But even as he is struggling with his grief over her death, his adoring grandchildren remind him of the vibrancy of the life that still surrounds him. Frost lets us see through the eyes not only of the old man, but also of his two grandchildren and his ...more
Jtimko
This is the first year that Aunt Lucy will not be there when the first apple falls during applesauce weather. And what happened to the twinkle in Uncle Arthurs eye? With patience and love, Faith and Peter just might have the key to beginning a new story.
Told in prose, this is a gentle story about loss and the power that love and patience possess in order to begin the healing process. Told in the voices of Uncle Arthur, Peter, and Faith, the reader will relate to the subject matter. This is a
Aimee Leonhard
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
Faith, her brother Peter and their Uncle Arthur each tell their part in a collection of poems that weave together a story about family and change. It begins when the first apple falls from the tree indicating it is applesauce weather. It is the time when Uncle Arthur and Aunt Lucy would come to spend a weekend making applesauce and telling stories. But this is the first year without Aunt Lucy and the children don't know if Uncle Arthur will come or tell his stories about his missing finger. Each ...more
Pam
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grades
Told as a series of short poems.
Every year Great-Aunt Lucy and Great-Uncle Arthur arrive at the farm when the first apples fall. Lucy has died and they aren't sure if Arthur will come or not. He gathers his courage and does come. It takes a couple days but he finds his own courage to share stories again. The book is told from four perspectives - Faith, Peter, Arthur and Lucy. Lucy provides the history of the apple tree and their relationship to start each section. The other three share what
Becca Amstutz
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From start to finish this is beautiful. I am not a voracious reader of poetry but when it comes to Helen Frost, I just can't help myself. I am completely enamored with her poetry! This sweet and simple tale manages to pull at the heartstrings as the main characters learn how much they are like their great-aunt and great-uncle. It's beautiful to see a story where it focuses on extended family and the beauty of those types of relationships. As a librarian, I am heartily recommending this to my ...more
javadiva
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This sweet book of prose didn't even take an hour. I was a puddle within minutes of reading it. Uncle Arthur was my grandfather, who also was a story teller and would keep the secret of how he lost his finger too.
I love how the author captured the unique spirits of a little girl and boy and shared the story in their voices, as well as their uncle's. But what hit me most was Lucy's voice, adding just the right touch of romance & sentiment throughout the story.
And the amazing illustrations!
Liz
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very sweet story of Love and Loss. The story is written in short verses between Faith, Peter and Uncle Arthur. Applesauce weather is finally here and the apple tree, Aunt Lucy's apple tree, is finally bearing fruit. But this year is the first year since Aunt Lucy's passing, will Uncle Arthur keep tradition and come to the farm or will his grief keep him from showing up to help make applesauce like he has for so many years
Arica Benson
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kim Mullins
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ed-689, chapter-books
Good lighthearted story about a family growing up and waiting for apples to be ready each season. Lessons are taught to generations below and are carried out in this story about love, friendship and family traditions. I would use this in the classroom for poetry examples such as the acrostic and Haiku poems.
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
2017-18 Beehive nominee. Darling story written in verse about a young girl, Faith, and her brother, Peter, waiting for their Uncle Arthur to come for their annual apple picking/applesauce making. Aunt Lucy passed away this year and they are not sure if Uncle Arthur will come. When he shows up, what a cute tale unfolds. I loved it!
Sean Harding
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it
A nice little novel here about family, about grief and overcoming it and the power of love. A good solid story, I can't say it is overly memorable, but it has great themes, that even if the story or the source of them come from these themes will percolate inside and help change to begin within.
Kirsten
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A lovely little book, told in verse, about the family stories that bind us together. Robert Frost for little people. Lots of love and laughter, with just a hint of melancholy. Perfect to read in the fall with a slice of homemade apple pie, or fresh made apple sauce. Apples are a must.
Marisa Maloney
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My daughter read this book of verse aloud to me for her 10 minute reading challenge. She started with just 10 minutes and I had to have her keep going because it was so good. A book about grief and loss but moving on and a loving family!
Katie
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jane and Isaac both read this one on their own, so I needed to read it too. It's a quick story written in poetic verse. The poems tell a sweet story about an apple tree blooming and how the family comes together each year. It made me want to plant apple trees and make applesauce.
Sue
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I agree with the review about who the audience is for this book.. why does Uncle Arthur only have part of a finger seems to be a continuing theme.. and I can't remember that it is actually explained.. a short book but kind of sad or quiet one...
Stephanie
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a precious book! Brother and sister Faith and Peter gently help their elderly Uncle Arthur recover from the death of his lifetime true love, Aunt Lucy. This was probably a little sappy, but I admit I feared up at least once.
Sharlene Robertson
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I think this is more of a darling love story for adults, then a book that will keep a kids interest. It was lovely, and an easy read, just not sure kids will like it.
Annajune
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
I loved the tale that was woven as the story is told from three perspectives in poetry.
Becca
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, poetic story of love, family, thoughts, seasons, growth, vision, stories, and hope.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Garvey's Choice
  • Maxi's Secrets: (or what you can learn from a dog)
  • The Infinity Year of Avalon James
  • Gertie's Leap to Greatness
  • Genesis Begins Again
  • The Haunted House Project
  • Some Kind of Courage
  • Word of Mouse
  • Wish
  • Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess
  • The Lincoln Project (Flashback Four, #1)
  • Like Bug Juice on a Burger (Eleanor, #2)
  • Rookie of the Year (Rip and Red, #2)
  • Like Pickle Juice on a Cookie (Eleanor, #1)
  • Like Carrot Juice on a Cupcake (Eleanor, #3)
  • Mighty Jack (Mighty Jack, #1)
  • Another Day as Emily
  • The Line Tender
I'm dipping my toes into goodreads to see how it works. Thanks for finding me here, and thanks to everyone who has read and written about my books. I love to know you're there, even if I don't come here too often to say so.

Helen Frost is the author of six novels-in-poems and two picture books for children and young adults. She lives in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

News & Interviews