Start by marking “I Don't Want to Be Big” as Want to Read:
I Don't Want to Be Big

I Don't Want to Be Big

(I Don't Want to Be a Frog)

A companion to I Don’t Want to Be a Frog.

Frog does NOT want to grow up. Doesn’t need to be tall. Doesn’t want to be able to jump high enough to see the tree frogs. He’s just FINE being small. Besides, if you grow up, you don’t get to do fun things like jump in mud puddles with your best friend, Pig. Do you?
Published October 11th 2016 by Doubleday Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about I Don't Want to Be Big, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Don't Want to Be Big

Start your review of I Don't Want to Be Big
Emily Scheinman
Dev Petty and Mike Boldt make a great team! This "sequel" to I Don't Want to Be a Frog has so many laughs and is sure to be a read aloud crowd pleaser.
Rhoda
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think it has a really great message for little ones, and I'm thinking I need a copy for my niece and nephew!
Kari
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and simple. Stamp of approval received from my 4yr old granddaughter. Great art work!
Jasmine
A thrilling debate between father and son about the downsides of growing up.
Alexandria
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I Don't Want to Be Big is a cute little story about a frog who won't eat his dinner because he doesn't want to be big. His father, and then his friends, all try to convince him that being big isn't so bad, to varying levels of success.

The book's format is that of a conversation between the young frog and one or two people at a time. It can be a little tricky to read out loud if you don't like doing different voices, but that also makes it a great book to practice your reading-aloud skills with!
Nari
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Age: 3+

This is such a cute little book about size, growing up and father-child relationships. A little frog refuses to eat dinner because he does not want to grow up to be big. He and his father go through all the pros and cons of being big before recruiting different large animals to chime in with their perspective. The illustrations are so bubbly and expressive. This is a great book for storytimes and circle times.
AMY
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Grades 1-2
Cute story about a frog who does not want to grow up. He encounters other animals and works through his dilemma. It is a dialog book with colorful illustrations. The frog has to consider many things before he can make up his mind about growing big. I think kids will like it. Recommended for Grades 1-2
Kelley Mitchell
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love, love, love this whiny, sassy little frog. The mixture of patience and frustration of his father, and the fact that the little frog NEVER listens to his dad but will TOTALLY listen to someone else. I think every parent can hear dad's voice. Kids love it as a read aloud, and it is a good way to talk about text features and how they affect reading.
Heydi Smith
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-storytime
I loved the first of these books and this makes a welcome addition.

The little frog doesn't want to be big. When asked why he gives several answers. His dad finally deducing that the real reason is he doesn't want to grow-up.

I love the patient reasoning of little frog's father and little frog's self-assured tone completely cracks me up.
Viviane Elbee
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun story for preschoolers and young elementary students.

Frog doesn't want to be big... because he doesn't want to grow up and stop having fun.

The kids thought it was funny.

I thought frog's change of mind was a bit sudden, but it's still a fun, quick read.
Maria Shuffit
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love reading books like this to my son. He is only five months old but reading the fussy frog's "logic" aloud to him makes him smile! The illustrations are bright and fun and take up the whole page wonderfully.
Nadine
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
My students loved "I don't want to be a frog" but not so much "I don't want to be big" - it's very hard to read dialogue aloud to little ones. Perhaps this would be better as a mentor text on dialogue.
Elizabeth
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love dialogue only books for read aloud. I did not know that Dev Petty had a four book deal.

I Don't Want to be a Frog's
I Don't Want to be Big
There's Nothing to Do
I Don't Want to GO to Sleep

They are all well done and fun. I would suggest taking your time reading these aloud. The reader may need to really look at the details and explain some of what is being illustrated and who is doing the talking.
Talea
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet little book about a little frog that didn’t want to grow up. Parents can relate to expressions of the father frog while little ones can relate about how sometimes getting big just doesn’t seem like all that much fun.
Kelly
A little frog doesn't want to grow up. This is an amazing book! Fun with great illustrations.
Beth
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty cute. I didn't like it as much as I did I Don't Want to Be a Frog.
Melissa McAlvey
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Norah and Hazel loved this one and I admit that it is cute and clever
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute
Renee MA
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
Fun pictures complement this clever read.
Laura Molinario
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Picture Book
Jackie
Great reasons for growing up (and staying little) as told by frog. Wonderful illustrations to accompany the humor.
Karla Winick-Ford
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
cute
well illustrated
but hard to read
too many dialog boxes
Lynn  Davidson
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Frog doesn't want to grow big and has lots of reasons to stay small. Others try to convince him it's good to keep growing. Funny ending. Fun illustrations.
Kelly
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny book about a frog who doesn’t want to grow up.
Jeremy
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: havs-books
Hav really liked it
Growing up is hard on little Frog.
Amanda Coppedge
Not my favorite kind of ending but that tree frog page made me lol!
Read  Ribbet
Second in this series. This time the frog needs to be convinced that it is alright to grow up and to become big. Book could be a nice catalyst for discussions about argumentative and persuasive writing. The book presents the dialogue in a series of talking bubbles which also might be a good model for young writers. The dialogue in talking bubbles makes it an easy book for two readers to read together.
Michelle Simpson
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I adore the illustrations in this book!
Debbie Brueggemeyer
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cute story about growing up. Beautiful illustrations. My "little" Lily doesn't want to get bigger than her sister Mia, because right now Mia can still carry Lily around on her back!! Also, Mia loves being the "bigger" little sister!!!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dragons Eat Noodles on Tuesdays
  • Pig the Pug
  • The Three Little Superpigs: Once Upon a Time
  • Pig the Winner
  • Should I Share My Ice Cream? (Elephant & Piggie, #15)
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Thank You, Mr. Panda
  • Thelma the Unicorn
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • Pig the Star
  • Can I Be Your Dog?
Dev writes books for kids which are also often enjoyed by immature adults.

She was a senior visual effects artist in film and is now- thanks to her husband, daughters and pets, fully recovered from her chronic workaholism.

She is also good at word jumbles. Really good.

Dev was born in Berkeley, California and now lives pretty much in Berkeley, California.

I Don't Want to Be a Frog (4 books)
  • I Don't Want to Be a Frog