Start by marking “I Don't Want to Be Big” as Want to Read:
I Don't Want to Be Big

I Don't Want to Be Big

(I Don't Want to Be a Frog)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  333 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
A companion to I Don’t Want to Be a Frog.

Frog does NOT want to grow up. Doesn’t need to be tall. Doesn’t want to be able to jump high enough to see the tree frogs. He’s just FINE being small. Besides, if you grow up, you don’t get to do fun things like jump in mud puddles with your best friend, Pig. Do you?
Published October 11th 2016 by Doubleday Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about I Don't Want to Be Big, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Don't Want to Be Big

Rhoda
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think it has a really great message for little ones, and I'm thinking I need a copy for my niece and nephew!
Emily Scheinman
Dev Petty and Mike Boldt make a great team! This "sequel" to I Don't Want to Be a Frog has so many laughs and is sure to be a read aloud crowd pleaser.
Jasmine
A thrilling debate between father and son about the downsides of growing up.
Alexandria
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I Don't Want to Be Big is a cute little story about a frog who won't eat his dinner because he doesn't want to be big. His father, and then his friends, all try to convince him that being big isn't so bad, to varying levels of success.

The book's format is that of a conversation between the young frog and one or two people at a time. It can be a little tricky to read out loud if you don't like doing different voices, but that also makes it a great book to practice your reading-aloud skills with!
Nari
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Age: 3+

This is such a cute little book about size, growing up and father-child relationships. A little frog refuses to eat dinner because he does not want to grow up to be big. He and his father go through all the pros and cons of being big before recruiting different large animals to chime in with their perspective. The illustrations are so bubbly and expressive. This is a great book for storytimes and circle times.
Heydi Smith
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-storytime
I loved the first of these books and this makes a welcome addition.

The little frog doesn't want to be big. When asked why he gives several answers. His dad finally deducing that the real reason is he doesn't want to grow-up.

I love the patient reasoning of little frog's father and little frog's self-assured tone completely cracks me up.
Maria Shuffit
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love reading books like this to my son. He is only five months old but reading the fussy frog's "logic" aloud to him makes him smile! The illustrations are bright and fun and take up the whole page wonderfully.
Viviane Elbee
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun story for preschoolers and young elementary students.

Frog doesn't want to be big... because he doesn't want to grow up and stop having fun.

The kids thought it was funny.

I thought frog's change of mind was a bit sudden, but it's still a fun, quick read.
Elizabeth
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love dialogue only books for read aloud. I did not know that Dev Petty had a four book deal.

I Don't Want to be a Frog's
I Don't Want to be Big
There's Nothing to Do
I Don't Want to GO to Sleep

They are all well done and fun. I would suggest taking your time reading these aloud. The reader may need to really look at the details and explain some of what is being illustrated and who is doing the talking.
Nadine
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
My students loved "I don't want to be a frog" but not so much "I don't want to be big" - it's very hard to read dialogue aloud to little ones. Perhaps this would be better as a mentor text on dialogue.
Melissa McAlvey
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Norah and Hazel loved this one and I admit that it is cute and clever
Mrs. MA
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
Fun pictures complement this clever read.
Beth
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty cute. I didn't like it as much as I did I Don't Want to Be a Frog.
Kelly
A little frog doesn't want to grow up. This is an amazing book! Fun with great illustrations.
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute
Growing up is hard on little Frog.
Amanda Coppedge
Not my favorite kind of ending but that tree frog page made me lol!
Read  Ribbet
Second in this series. This time the frog needs to be convinced that it is alright to grow up and to become big. Book could be a nice catalyst for discussions about argumentative and persuasive writing. The book presents the dialogue in a series of talking bubbles which also might be a good model for young writers. The dialogue in talking bubbles makes it an easy book for two readers to read together.
Michelle Simpson
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I adore the illustrations in this book!
Debbie Brueggemeyer
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cute story about growing up. Beautiful illustrations. My "little" Lily doesn't want to get bigger than her sister Mia, because right now Mia can still carry Lily around on her back!! Also, Mia loves being the "bigger" little sister!!!
Edward Sullivan
Frog refuses to grow up.
Bmack
I liked Dev Petty's first book "I Don't Want to Be A Frog". This one is just as cute. The frog doesn't want to grow up. Kids will enjoy the colorful characters and funny text.
Marcie
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I did love this, but the kids at Mesa did.
Matthew
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you read and enjoyed the first story of the the little frog who doesn't want the life he's been dealt, you're going to like this one too. I will say that the first book might have been a little better, but this brings the laughs about as well as the first one did. Nicely done.
Sheri
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's that frog again in this Dev Petty story and the frog now is not wanting to grow up. Lots of conversational text and comment bubbles as the frog talks to is father about growing bigger. The illustrations are big and green and show measurement and size comparisons for math tie ins. I recommend it and the Mike Boldt illustrations.
Kid Lit Reviews
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, 2016-reviews
Dev Petty and Mike Boldt return with a sequel to I Don’t Want to be a Frog, with I Don’t Want to be Big. Frog has gotten over his desire to be anything but a frog and is now happy he is what he is—a frog. Now, Frog does not want to get big. He wants to stay a little frog for the rest of his life. To that end, Frog does not want to eat his dinner. Frog reasons an ant . . .

I Don’t Want to be Big and I Don’t Want to be a Frog are both perfect as read aloud stories for a library story hour or the c
Margie
As a teacher librarian you see all the students each and every year as they attend your particular school. Regardless of the level, elementary, middle or high school, they take great delight in measuring their height to yours. When you've been a whopping five foot, one and a quarter inch tall your whole adult life, their joy at finally getting close to or exceeding your height usually results in laughter for everyone.

On February 10, 2015 readers were introduced to a young frog with very particul
Diana
Disclaimer: I received this book in a GoodReads giveaway.

The "sequel" to "I Don't Want to be a Frog," "I Don't Want to Be Big" is an age-appropriate book for little people (and their parents) who are at the "No" state of life. The conversation begins when Little Frog announces he does not want to eat his dinner, and Father Frog asks, "You don't want to grow?" Rather than laying down the law, Father Frog responds to Little Frog's line-in-the-sand statements with questions that eventually lead Lit
Barbara
From the same creative team responsible for I Don't Want to Be a Frog, this picture book follows a young frog who resists its parent's efforts to get him to eat. After all, the little green guy contends, eating healthy food will make him grow bigger, and he has no desire to grow up or become bigger. After explaining the reasons behind his resistance, he encounters a pig who assures him that being bigger doesn't necessarily mean he has to grow up. Although he changes his mind in the end, it's cle ...more
Becky B
Little Frog has decided being big has way too many disadvantages, so he's not going to eat his dinner to grow. He is going to stay small, and that's that.

A humorous look at the perks of being small (and big too, but don't tell Little Frog). The illustrations in this series all but speak for themselves. You hardly need the text, but it is an added bonus. Little Frog is that little kid who whips out some unconventional thinking and requires adults to use all the creative juices they can muster. A
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Dev writes books for kids which are also often enjoyed by immature adults.

She was a senior visual effects artist in film and is now- thanks to her husband, daughters and pets, fully recovered from her chronic workaholism.

She is also good at word jumbles. Really good.

Dev was born in Berkeley, California and now lives pretty much in Berkeley, California.

I Don't Want to Be a Frog (3 books)
  • I Don't Want to Be a Frog