Start by marking “Agatha Raisin and Love, Lies, and Liquor” as Want to Read:
Agatha Raisin and Love, Lies, and Liquor

Agatha Raisin and Love, Lies, and Liquor

(Agatha Raisin #17)

Agatha Raisin thinks she s in for a treat when her ex-husband, James Lacey, invites her on a holi....
Audio CD
Published March 31st 2015 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published September 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Agatha Raisin and Love, Lies, and Liquor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agatha Raisin and Love, Lies, and Liquor

Yvonne
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can’t believe I’m already up to book #17 in this series. After the first two, I wasn’t sure how long I’d continue because Agatha wasn’t a very nice person. Now, although she’s still rough around the edges, she has won me over. There’s just something about her that makes me care about her. I still wish she didn’t act like a love struck teenager and I still wish people didn’t carry on like she’s almost 100 years old instead of her mid-50’s. But, she’s amusing and, for the most part, an intellige ...more
Berit☀️✨
If I am ever on vacation and Agatha Raisin shows up at the hotel, I am quickly checking out!!!
Nothing against Agatha personally, but people seem to get killed around her at a quick pace.... this is the 17th book in the series, so clearly I enjoy the series, Agatha has grown on me throughout these books, and the ridiculous love triangle of sorts is the least annoying love triangle of all fiction..... James is back and of course because Agatha is not showing any interest, now he is interested....
Yeva
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Oh my...I'm not sure where to start. The title is great. Best thing about the book actually, even though I failed to see any connection to the dreadful story starring the stout little temptress Agatha. Oh wait...no one was tempted. The entire book wasted valuable story time with Agatha and James' pathetic relationship. The relationship couldn't even really be classed as "on again/off again" because it was never turned on. Oh, and the bit about Agatha's "filmy" underwear. That was just sad. Agath ...more
Tressa
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, audio, mystery
What the hell does Agatha see in the self-centered jackass James Lacey? The only downside of the Agatha Raisin books is that Agatha doesn't know how special and unique she is.
Fiona MacDonald
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
Agatha Raisin really thinks the tides have finally turned. Her ex-husband has been sniffing around her recently and has now come up with the glorious idea of taking her away on a wonderful holiday. All she knows is that she has to go shopping immediatly for new holiday gear!! So it's a bit of a let-down when they arriv, not in Cannes or the Riviera, but in the seaside town of Snoth - on - Sea. Apparently it was James's favourite place when he was a child...
Aggie is furious, and about to leave Ja
Patricia
Jul 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She is not nice in the conventional sense and she has none of the homemaking qualities one associates with good village women. And yet there is something about her insecurities, her imperfect pitch in the hum of relationships, and her dazzling self-involvement (coupled with almost no self-awareness) that makes her a wonderful protagonist in the perfect-picture setting of these novels. M.C. Beaton again develops a believable and funny cast of characters, some of whom are quite disposable, and set ...more
Barbara
Dec 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Tried this series after much time away, since the main character is not really very likeable.

Unfortunately, I've found she really is not better than I expected. She is not static - she has developed, but in baby steps. It's very disappointing.

Maybe, however, this is how life really is. In reality, we all evolve, grow, expand in baby steps, and I haven't realized this yet and am taking it out on this character.

Agatha Raisin is very self-centered and selfish character. Everything revolves around
Georgiana 1792
Fa bene ogni tanto staccare con un giallo di Agatha Raisin. Lei combina sempre pasticci, e non è il massimo della simpatia, ma gli uomini che le stanno accanto sono... uomini. I difetti di Agatha sono nulla in confronto all'egoismo di James e di Charles. E sembra che questa volta Agatha si sia resa conto dell'egocentrismo di James, ottenendo la reazione insperata di farlo tornare da lei con la coda tra le gambe. Ma quanto durerà l'indifferenza di Agatha?
Colette
I can’t stop reading this series! As much as I live Agatha though I just don’t understand her feelings when it comes to James Lacey. I really liked him in the beginning, but can not stabs him now!

I enjoyed the mystery in this one, but I think I’ve read too many in a row because the plots are basically the same with Agatha almost dying a handful of times. That being said, I still can’t get enough of this series
Nancy
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It appears that Agatha has put on her big girl panties and she is no longer going to be ex-husband James Lacey’s doormat. He cannot suddenly appear in her life and on a moment’s notice assume that she is going to drop everything and follow him on a whim.

OK, well maybe after this one trip.

After seventeen books, we all know Agatha pretty well, she puts on a strong face, but deep down she is desperate for a man’s attention, even if the said man of the moment does not treat her very well. This time
Carolynne
May 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I had tried to read an Agatha Raisin mystery once before, and found Agatha to be such an unappealing character, I stopped reading. This time, I stuck it out to the end. I was very disappointed. It’s hard to believe that this is the same author as the Hamish Macbeth mysteries, which are so very entertaining.

Agatha runs a detective agency and, in this adventure, is a suspect in a murder case. Not surprisingly, if only to clear her own name, Agatha calls upon the resources of her agency to solve th
Jessica
Maybe it’s because I’ve been reading these books all in a row but I’m so done with James Lacy! Move on Aggie!
Helene Harrison
Review - This book had all the characters we love, and more. Agatha's love affairs do get on my nerves, but they also provide a lot of the humour in the books, so it's all good. I also love Agatha running her own detective agency, as I love to see how the different personalities work together. I do prefer the stories which take place in Carsely, but this one was one of the exceptions, because it was well thought out, and all of the characters came across very 3D and real, which is unusual when t ...more
Gail
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I enjoy this series very much. Agatha Raisin is a woman with a lot of sharp edges, fierce temper, defensiveness, and obsessions. Having settled into a village in the Cotswolds after an aggressively successful career in public relations, she has made friends and allies. Underneath the abrasive news is a woman longing to be loved. Constantly disappointed by the object of her obsessions, her boundless curiosity pushes her to investigate occurrences.

Her detective agency is doing very well. And her e
Gina
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do love Agatha and her friends! I feel like the mysteries are getting more complex and multifaceted as the series progresses, which makes the books even more enjoyable. It was good to see her standing up to James Lacey finally, who still seemed to think that his "good old reliable Agatha" was just going to drop everything anytime he snapped his fingers. I hope this trend continues, although I'm sure something will throw her off track. I'm liking that Mrs. Bloxby is playing a larger role in hel ...more
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#17! Wow, I have a serious addiction to these audiobooks! Thanks to the online library for having this whole series on its Always Available Audiobooks (at least, for the time being). I keep promising myself that I will pick up something else to read and come back, but I can't help listening to the next one as it's only a few phone clicks away to downloading the next installment. As for this particular book: James is back, and just like Agatha, I don't give a flying fig. Thankfully, some people g ...more
Pam
Apr 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading the Agatha Raisin mysteries--I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I have to agree with the review by "Patricia": "there is something about her insecurities, her imperfect pitch in the hum of relationships, and her dazzling self-involvement (coupled with almost no self-awareness) that makes her a wonderful protagonist..."
Kristen
I listened to this on a road trip with my mother, and neither of us were very big fans. The mystery was fairly shallow, none of the characters were very likable, and all in all, it just wasn't a great read. I also listened to the first in the series, and thought it was okay, so maybe this was just a bad one. But I think I've given up on Agatha Raisin.
Sarah Davies
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual I have enjoyed another of Agatha Raisin's cases!

With Agatha nothing goes smoothly and there are always trials and tribulations!

As always nothing goes smoothly as she is being questioned for the murder of a fellow hotel guest while on holiday with her ex husband James Lacey.

Great mix of suspects, so the story keeps you guessing until the end!
Theresa
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book lots of mystery :) Alot happened in this book only took me a day to read i couldn't put the book down wanted to know what happened next.
tracey
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous
Heather Withington
Not my favourite Agatha Raisin, this story was still enjoyable if a bit prolonged with who did it at the end. We follow Agatha on holiday with her ex-husband when there is a murder (in which Agatha is a suspect). It is fun to see how she handles this, with support from her friends and colleagues, as well as finally solving the crime.

I found that in this story, the ongoing battle between James Lacey and Charles took over the plot of who was committing the crime. The solution reminded me a bit of
Curlyhair
Another cozy read in the Agatha Raisin series, as usual finding Agatha’s life in turmoil. I do enjoy this series, just for the escapism of her topsy turvy life. It was nice to read most of the detective agency getting involved, along with most regulars and even Mrs Bloxby getting out and about.
Gail
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading an Agatha Raisin mystery...it makes me happy. Agatha is up to her old tricks in this seaside story as she is intent on solving a murder that the local police are content to brush off as the work of a gangster.
Liz
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omg! This book totally went off the rails! But what a fun read!
Sarah Booth
Oh Aggie! Give James Lacey up! And Charles for that matter!
Kathleen
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
5+/5 stars! Agatha Raisin is in the Top Ten!

My first introduction to Agatha Raisin was during a Facebook Cozy Mystery Book Club discussion when someone mentioned it was a big favorite of theirs. I hadn’t heard of it or the author M.C. Beaton before, so my fingers stayed quiet while the commenters gave their own delighted opinions and insights. I googled the author discovering Beaton had been around for quiet awhile, and through Amazon and Goodreads there was a whole year’s worth of books to read
Gary E
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After 17 books in the series I know what to expect. This is a quintessential cozy mystery series that I really enjoy.

I generally read these (as opposed to listening to them). But the way I discovered this series was when I was sick and too sick to read or watch tv. The nice thing about this series is that these books in audio form are readily available at my digital library. So when I’m in that too sick to be able to enjoy reading state the next book can be found without delay.

Which is exactly h
Phil Bean
Well 17 books in and I think I'm starting to tire of Agatha now.

Its obvious the writer has seriously run out of ideas. This one has some seriously corny moments and the James on/off/on/off is just getting boring now.

In this one, the suspects were all so similar and dull that I often got them mixed up and the final reveal just came out of nowhere and then was pretty much forgotten about again straight away.

And if someone can explain why 'Liquor' is in the title, it would be much appreciated.

I'll
Vickie
I seem to go for long periods of time between M C Beaton's books. Huge fan of the Hamish MacBeth series, but only a bit of the Agatha Raisin series. But that changed after reading this one. I like Agatha quite a bit more now.
Agatha has flaws like all of us and that might have put me off in the early books of the series. She's abrasive, stubborn, whingey about life without her ex-husband. She's still all of those things, but I can appreciate her more now that I'm older I think.
I still want her

• Sick of Shadows (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #3)
  • Murder at the Academy Awards: A Red Carpet Murder Mystery
  • Damsels in Distress (Claire Malloy, #16)
  • One Frog Too Many
  • The Sea Serpent and Me
  • Death on the Downs (Fethering, #2)
  • Trouble at the Treasury (Capital Mysteries #7)
  • Freestyle with Avery
  • Aunt Dimity Takes a Holiday (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #8)
  • Q Is for Duck: An Alphabet Guessing Game
  • Hell Hath No Curry (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #15)
  • Moon River and Me: A Memoir
  • Bloodline (Natasha Blake Ancestor Detective, #2)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottis

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)
“Ah, when love dies, women lose two and a half inches in height.” 12 likes