Start by marking “Agatha Raisin and Love, Lies, and Liquor (Agatha Raisin, #17)” as Want to Read:
Agatha Raisin and Love, Lies, and Liquor (Agatha Raisin, #17)

Agatha Raisin and Love, Lies, and Liquor

(Agatha Raisin #17)

Agatha Raisin is lonely. Busy as she is with her detective agency and the meetings of the Carsely Ladies' Society, she still misses her ex-husband, James Lacey, so she welcomes his return to the cottage next door with her usual triumph of optimism over experience--especially when he invites her on holiday at a surprise location that was once very dear to him.

With visions
Audio CD, Unabridged
Published March 31st 2015 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published September 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Agatha Raisin and Love, Lies, and Liquor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agatha Raisin and Love, Lies, and Liquor

Start your review of Agatha Raisin and Love, Lies, and Liquor (Agatha Raisin, #17)
Yvonne
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can’t believe I’m already up to book #17 in this series. After the first two, I wasn’t sure how long I’d continue because Agatha wasn’t a very nice person. Now, although she’s still rough around the edges, she has won me over. There’s just something about her that makes me care about her. I still wish she didn’t act like a love struck teenager and I still wish people didn’t carry on like she’s almost 100 years old instead of her mid-50’s. But, she’s amusing and, for the most part, an intellige ...more
Berit☀️✨
If I am ever on vacation and Agatha Raisin shows up at the hotel, I am quickly checking out!!!
Nothing against Agatha personally, but people seem to get killed around her at a quick pace.... this is the 17th book in the series, so clearly I enjoy the series, Agatha has grown on me throughout these books, and the ridiculous love triangle of sorts is the least annoying love triangle of all fiction..... James is back and of course because Agatha is not showing any interest, now he is interested....
Tressa
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, mystery
What the hell does Agatha see in the self-centered jackass James Lacey? The only downside of the Agatha Raisin books is that Agatha doesn't know how special and unique she is.
Yeva
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Oh my...I'm not sure where to start. The title is great. Best thing about the book actually, even though I failed to see any connection to the dreadful story starring the stout little temptress Agatha. Oh wait...no one was tempted. The entire book wasted valuable story time with Agatha and James' pathetic relationship. The relationship couldn't even really be classed as "on again/off again" because it was never turned on. Oh, and the bit about Agatha's "filmy" underwear. That was just sad. Agath ...more
Patricia
Jul 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She is not nice in the conventional sense and she has none of the homemaking qualities one associates with good village women. And yet there is something about her insecurities, her imperfect pitch in the hum of relationships, and her dazzling self-involvement (coupled with almost no self-awareness) that makes her a wonderful protagonist in the perfect-picture setting of these novels. M.C. Beaton again develops a believable and funny cast of characters, some of whom are quite disposable, and set ...more
Nancy
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It appears that Agatha has put on her big girl panties and she is no longer going to be ex-husband James Lacey’s doormat. He cannot suddenly appear in her life and on a moment’s notice assume that she is going to drop everything and follow him on a whim.

OK, well maybe after this one trip.

After seventeen books, we all know Agatha pretty well, she puts on a strong face, but deep down she is desperate for a man’s attention, even if the said man of the moment does not treat her very well. This tim
Fiona MacDonald
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
Agatha Raisin really thinks the tides have finally turned. Her ex-husband has been sniffing around her recently and has now come up with the glorious idea of taking her away on a wonderful holiday. All she knows is that she has to go shopping immediatly for new holiday gear!! So it's a bit of a let-down when they arriv, not in Cannes or the Riviera, but in the seaside town of Snoth - on - Sea. Apparently it was James's favourite place when he was a child...
Aggie is furious, and about to leave Ja
Barbara
Dec 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Tried this series after much time away, since the main character is not really very likeable.

Unfortunately, I've found she really is not better than I expected. She is not static - she has developed, but in baby steps. It's very disappointing.

Maybe, however, this is how life really is. In reality, we all evolve, grow, expand in baby steps, and I haven't realized this yet and am taking it out on this character.

Agatha Raisin is very self-centered and selfish character. Everything revolves around
Barbara Powell
I haven’t totally read these in order as I am missing some, but I find that I have read enough that it isn’t a problem. Although this one definitely had more twists than most of the others in the series, I found it wound on a little longer than I would have liked. And the whole back and forth with James and Charles is getting old with me. I still very much enjoy these books though.
In this one, Agatha and James are off on holiday to a town James used to go to as a boy. One of the other guests ge
Phil Bean
Well 17 books in and I think I'm starting to tire of Agatha now.

Its obvious the writer has seriously run out of ideas. This one has some seriously corny moments and the James on/off/on/off is just getting boring now.

In this one, the suspects were all so similar and dull that I often got them mixed up and the final reveal just came out of nowhere and then was pretty much forgotten about again straight away.

And if someone can explain why 'Liquor' is in the title, it would be much appreciated.

I'll
Colette
I can’t stop reading this series! As much as I live Agatha though I just don’t understand her feelings when it comes to James Lacey. I really liked him in the beginning, but can not stabs him now!

I enjoyed the mystery in this one, but I think I’ve read too many in a row because the plots are basically the same with Agatha almost dying a handful of times. That being said, I still can’t get enough of this series
Jessica
Maybe it’s because I’ve been reading these books all in a row but I’m so done with James Lacy! Move on Aggie!
Carolynne
May 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I had tried to read an Agatha Raisin mystery once before, and found Agatha to be such an unappealing character, I stopped reading. This time, I stuck it out to the end. I was very disappointed. It’s hard to believe that this is the same author as the Hamish Macbeth mysteries, which are so very entertaining.

Agatha runs a detective agency and, in this adventure, is a suspect in a murder case. Not surprisingly, if only to clear her own name, Agatha calls upon the resources of her agency to solve th
Helene Harrison
Review - This book had all the characters we love, and more. Agatha's love affairs do get on my nerves, but they also provide a lot of the humour in the books, so it's all good. I also love Agatha running her own detective agency, as I love to see how the different personalities work together. I do prefer the stories which take place in Carsely, but this one was one of the exceptions, because it was well thought out, and all of the characters came across very 3D and real, which is unusual when t ...more
Gail
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I enjoy this series very much. Agatha Raisin is a woman with a lot of sharp edges, fierce temper, defensiveness, and obsessions. Having settled into a village in the Cotswolds after an aggressively successful career in public relations, she has made friends and allies. Underneath the abrasive news is a woman longing to be loved. Constantly disappointed by the object of her obsessions, her boundless curiosity pushes her to investigate occurrences.

Her detective agency is doing very well. And her e
Gina
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do love Agatha and her friends! I feel like the mysteries are getting more complex and multifaceted as the series progresses, which makes the books even more enjoyable. It was good to see her standing up to James Lacey finally, who still seemed to think that his "good old reliable Agatha" was just going to drop everything anytime he snapped his fingers. I hope this trend continues, although I'm sure something will throw her off track. I'm liking that Mrs. Bloxby is playing a larger role in hel ...more
Elizabeth
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Usually I care more about the characters in a mystery than I do the actual mystery, but here I found Agatha’s on-again off-again feelings for her ex to be so aggravating that I was far more interested in anything that might move the plot forward. This is far enough into the series that I didn’t necessarily expect character development; there comes a point in real life as well as in books when certain characters are fully formed and even somewhat settled. That said, I found these particular chara ...more
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#17! Wow, I have a serious addiction to these audiobooks! Thanks to the online library for having this whole series on its Always Available Audiobooks (at least, for the time being). I keep promising myself that I will pick up something else to read and come back, but I can't help listening to the next one as it's only a few phone clicks away to downloading the next installment. As for this particular book: James is back, and just like Agatha, I don't give a flying fig. Thankfully, some people g ...more
Arlene
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love the series but like the book before I have given it a 2 star rating. The previous book had Charles with twin children when the book before that said that his ex-wife had tricked him and was indeed not pregnant. James comes back and nothing is said about why he is back and why he didn't take his vows as he intended to at the monastery. Are there different people writing these books and not paying attention to the details?
Pam
Apr 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading the Agatha Raisin mysteries--I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I have to agree with the review by "Patricia": "there is something about her insecurities, her imperfect pitch in the hum of relationships, and her dazzling self-involvement (coupled with almost no self-awareness) that makes her a wonderful protagonist..."
Kristen
I listened to this on a road trip with my mother, and neither of us were very big fans. The mystery was fairly shallow, none of the characters were very likable, and all in all, it just wasn't a great read. I also listened to the first in the series, and thought it was okay, so maybe this was just a bad one. But I think I've given up on Agatha Raisin.
Sarah Davies
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual I have enjoyed another of Agatha Raisin's cases!

With Agatha nothing goes smoothly and there are always trials and tribulations!

As always nothing goes smoothly as she is being questioned for the murder of a fellow hotel guest while on holiday with her ex husband James Lacey.

Great mix of suspects, so the story keeps you guessing until the end!
Stephanie
These are like Bridget Jones goes a-sleuthing. Light on plot heavy on shouting at Agatha for being annoying. I read them as they are a nice literary palette cleanser. However I had to deduct a point from my usual score of three because the plot was particularly bad plus their relationship with mobile phones is getting really annoying!!
Theresa
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book lots of mystery :) Alot happened in this book only took me a day to read i couldn't put the book down wanted to know what happened next.
Sarah Booth
Oh Aggie! Give James Lacey up! And Charles for that matter!
Rebecca
Oh Agatha, what do you see in James Lacey? I have never ever understood her fascination with him, he was grimy and pompous from the start.  He is arrogant and just likes to reel her in so he can reject her.  I don't mind him so much when he is helping her detect, but he doesn't this time so he feels lie a gnat - and Agatha almost has the strength to stay away from him.This mystery was so complicated that I had absolutely no idea who the murderer was.  It started out simply enough with a new unli ...more
Heather W
Not my favourite Agatha Raisin, this story was still enjoyable if a bit prolonged with who did it at the end. We follow Agatha on holiday with her ex-husband when there is a murder (in which Agatha is a suspect). It is fun to see how she handles this, with support from her friends and colleagues, as well as finally solving the crime.

I found that in this story, the ongoing battle between James Lacey and Charles took over the plot of who was committing the crime. The solution reminded me a bit of
Curlyhair
Another cozy read in the Agatha Raisin series, as usual finding Agatha’s life in turmoil. I do enjoy this series, just for the escapism of her topsy turvy life. It was nice to read most of the detective agency getting involved, along with most regulars and even Mrs Bloxby getting out and about.
Gail
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading an Agatha Raisin mystery...it makes me happy. Agatha is up to her old tricks in this seaside story as she is intent on solving a murder that the local police are content to brush off as the work of a gangster.
Liz
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omg! This book totally went off the rails! But what a fun read!

• Our Lady of Pain (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #4)
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • Murder at Honeychurch Hall (Honeychurch Hall Mystery, #1)
  • Snobbery With Violence (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #1)
  • Sick of Shadows (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #3)
  • Date with Danger
  • Tu fais quoi pour Noël ? Je t'évite !
  • Minerva (The Six Sisters, #1)
  • Lady Fortescue Steps Out (Poor Relation, #1)
  • Fatality in F (Gethsemane Brown Mysteries #4)
  • Cool Beans: The Ultimate Guide to Cooking with the World's Most Versatile Plant-Based Protein, with 125 Recipes
  • Framed in Lace (A Needlecraft Mystery, #2)
  • La vie rêvée des chaussettes orphelines
  • Date with Poison
  • A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5)
  • Deadly Desires at Honeychurch Hall (Honeychurch Hall Mystery, #2)
  • A Novel Way To Die (Cozy Mystery Bookshop #2)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Da

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)