Start by marking “Betrayal” as Want to Read:
Betrayal

Betrayal

Betrayal is the twenty-third novel from Sunday Times No.1 bestseller, Martina Cole, author of DANGEROUS LADY, THE TAKE, GET EVEN and many more. The 'undisputed queen of crime writing' (Guardian) and the biggest selling female crime writer in the UK, Martina's unique, powerful storytelling will appeal to fans of Karin Slaughter and Patricia Cornwell. Survival. It's all down ...more
Published October 20th 2016 by Headline (first published October 6th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Betrayal, please sign up.

Carolyn  Storer
Sad to say, as I usually enjoy Cole's books, but this was awful. Nearly gave up a few times. Very repetitive, no interesting characters or depth, and no real story. Was actually quite dull. Not Cole's best work, in fact it's the worst I've listened to. The narrator, Annie Aldington, was good as usual though.
Elaine
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reeva O'Hara has to fight for everything.....she had her first child at 14 and by the time she hits her early twenties she has already produce a further 4 children.
Different dads, "a right mixed bunch she would say"
Reeva might of had it tough but she loves her kids and they adore their mum.
 photo kierston-wareing_zpsmgsmnujk.jpg

Aiden O'Hara is the oldest, loves his mum but knows she attracts the wrong sort of guys so he has to watch over his family.
 photo c97ead054a846e2219f7ef9a12a8f284_zpsaf2e77c5.jpg

Excels at school but instead of academics, Aiden is taken under the wing of his moth
Andrew
Review Taken From The Pewter Wolf

Aiden O'Hara has been the head of the family for as long as he can remember. And with him rising quickly in the London underworld, he wants to be on head. Head of the family. Head of the game. And he's going to stay there.

His lover, Jade, has been in the game for longer than Aiden. Mother to his son, calmer of his temper and rage and a force in her own right, Jade knows the truth. She knows that no one is indestructible. Especially in their line of work.

Keep your
beverley ann
Oct 29, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
BEVERLEY ANN HOPPER

Gave it a go after been disappointed over her last three book but still couldn't take it in. to far fetched to many short chapters. Sorry to say think miss Cole needs to brush up a bit there's a lot of competition out there in crime authors was very disappointed again
Chris Steeden
This time Cole is looking more into family relationships. The background, as always, is that of an up-and-coming criminal kingpin in London. The love circles are all set within the same criminal patch. No-one leaves that circle. It is all rather incestuous but if that is the life you lead then it would be difficult to meet someone not within that circle. As such, issues arise. Tensions soar and tears and blood are shed. We see five generations of the main family the O’Hara’s. Annie, the Nan, Ree ...more
Elaine Browne
This is Martinas worst book ever.
It lacks any kind of emotion I didn't like any of the characters it was lazy at best.
It was gangland again same story different names and same old plot very disappointed
Bev Taylor
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
survival. it's all down to whom u trust

reeva has given birth to 4 sons and a daughter, all with different fathers

aiden has always been the head of the family and as he grows older he is taken under the wing of eric to work for him in the underworld with a view to leading his empire when he retires

he fits well into this role but unfortunately although he is good at his job he is often led by his head rather than his heart and no-one really likes or respects him

he lives with jade who is many y
Koki
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: čakala-som-viac, rv
Mám rada príbehy z mafiánskeho prostredia. Ten svet ma niečím fascinuje. A Martina Cole mi jeden taký priniesla, i keď nebolo to celkom to, čo som očakávala. Príbeh bol totiž viac zameraný na rodinné vzťahy ako tie mafiánske, našťastie v ňom ale nechýbali rôzne mafiánske praktiky.

"Miminka milovala. Byla tak bezmocná a ve všem na vás závisela - bylo to jediné období Reevinho života, kdy si připadala chtěná. Každé z jejich dětí ji dávalo pocit důležitosti, pocit že tady má nějaký účel. A taky ji
~ Cariad ~
Stunning audiobook!!

Martina Cole has yet again played a blinder with this one.
sally hawkins
Dec 07, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Family

This book took ages to get into I would not recommend it at all her last 3 books have been rubbish no story what so ever
Lainy
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: unfinished
Time taken to read - on and off over 4 days

Pages - 480

Publisher - Headline

Blurb from Goodreads

It's all down to who you trust. Aiden O'Hara has been head of the family since he was kid, and he's going to keep it that way. Jade Dixon is the one who watches his back. Mother of his son. The one who makes him invincible. But Jade's been in the game a lot longer than Aiden. She knows no one's indestructible. And when you're at the top, that's when you've got to watch the hardest. Especially the ones
marjorie hall-venmore
Absolutely Brilliant

Maritina Cole has done it again and again and again what a brilliant exiting novel that you just can not put down as much as you need sleep you genuinely have to stay awake, it's not only brilliantly written, it's gripping from the first chapter onwards you constantly want to know what coming next its like taking a ride on a rollercoaster the thrills the ups and downs it's clever its sad it's good and real family orientated as all her books are but you can never get enough. M
Kelly Furniss
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have not read a book of Martina Cole's I have not liked and this was no exception.
If I have to pick fault it was the repetitiveness of certain words which I found slightly irritating but it did not take too much enjoyment away from the story.
The characterisation was as good as ever with the feisty, mouthy ex good time girl Reeva mother of the O'Hara family who likes a drink but has a heart of gold and would do anything for her children.
Aiden the eldest Son, head of the family who's word goes a
Suzanne Maughan
I so wanted to love this book, as I have loved every one of Cole's books I've read but this was so badly written I actually found myself doubting whether she had even penned it herself. The writing was cliched at best and, at quest, ludicrous. If there was a phrase the writer clearly believed was clever, it was used a number of times; if she found herself at odds with her phrasing, the narrator just fell back on stock phrases such as "her mother's words, not bets" as if to say that these weren't ...more
Jo Sexton
Aiden O'Hara is a Hard Man, head of his family, and in the running to take over his chosen business, which involves much illegal skulduggery. He has a large family with various brothers, all following in his footsteps, a mother who is a sort, and a holier-than-thou baby sister. Only problem is, Aiden is a psychopath with no conscience, and this is eventually his downfall.

Sound familiar? Well, it's Martina Cole again with her tried and tested formula. Entertaining, although not one of her best.
claire moore
Nov 05, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dissatisfied

Really disappointed!!! I did read all of the bad reviews but still thought I would give it the benefit of the doubt, all I can say is I only paid 99p and I think that is still to much. I have enjoyed all of martinas books up till now such a shame that this book was so predictable.
Sooz (P.Turners Book Blog)
I had an idea of what I was letting myself in for reading BETRAYAL. Martina Cole has this magic of being able to create characters and families, all with their own different traits, but blend together really well.

BETRAYAL is the second book of Martina’s I have read (I read THE TAKE early last year) and I cannot wait to devour more of her titles. There’s something about the raw, grittiness of the worlds she creates that pulls you in and pops you right in the middle of it.

Martina has the skill of
Lady Geologist
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a BIG book .. with so many details that take you deeper into each charachter.. i loved how she managed to get me into those people to understand their decisions and why they behave that way because she gave the proper introductions to their lives..
the over all plot is a little dramatic but the bottom line is what made me love the book, sometimes those whom we love the most are the ones who destroy us the most..

if you are willing to go for it be prepared for long nights and some twisted i
Pol
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I re-read Betrayal, really love Martina Cole,s books
K.M. Lowe
Eurgh...this is the first Martina Cole book I have read in such a long time, but I wasn't impressed by this book at all. The blurb and the cover drew me in, but the story did nothing for me. The short chapters weren't appealing either. The characters weren't likeable, none of them. I am disappointed because usually you could expect to enjoy a Martina Cole book, but I'm afraid I would think twice about picking another recent book by Cole, because they're nothing like her older material. I didn't ...more
Yimmy
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Betrayal, betrayal, betrayal, betrayal .....blaa blaa blaa. It was obvious from the beginning that someone in the family would kill Aiden and I thought it would be Jade Dixon. I was nearly right athough she did not actually murder him; albeit that she and his mother Reeva O'Hara only plotted the act without committing the actually the crime, leaving it to one of his siblings. Overall the book was okay, save the labourious repeation of describing the characters over and over again. It became so b ...more
Melissa Carvell
Hayley
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another good un by Martina Cole

Reeva has brought up her children (all by different fathers) since the age of 14 and life has been hard for her.

Her eldest son Aiden has always been academically clever. He's introduced to Eric Palmer who brings him into 'the life' and sets him on a course for life of skullduggery and mayhem.

He meets the love of his life Jade Dixon and together they have a child but as he can't remain faithful it's the reason they never get married.

As he grows up, he becomes
ReaderSP
Jan 01, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So, I started my review of the last Martina Cole book, ‘Get Even’ with this statement:

“Like many, many others, I have always been a huge fan of Martina Cole and I used to jump onto her new books as soon as they were released. But again, like many others, I have been left disappointed with her more recent work and I have to say that ‘Get Even’ was no exception to that.”

...And, actually, the same stands for ‘Betrayal’. There are a whole load of pages of random descriptions and character outlining
Lisa Busby
I had never read any Martina Cole before but a very good friend of mine loves her and so I just had to see what all the fuss was about.

The voices of the characters was real. The dialogue and interaction I thought was done well. I could picture these people and felt like I was entering their world, and I liked that. The plot was also intriguing although a little predictable.

So why only two stars? The book was repetitive. Paragraphs seemed to be repeated throughout the whole book; 'She couldn't he
Zoe Hall
I feel like I need to do the whole compliment sandwich thing with this review because I feel awful about being negative about Martina.

Martina is my crime writing Queen but this book doesn't live up to any of her others. I found the story slow and the characters unlikeable. I can usually devour a Martina Cole book in a few days. I got about halfway through and didn't touch it for a few weeks.

Aw man. I'm so gutted because I really enjoyed Get Even and thought Martina was back on form. I'd love to
Pol
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could of given more stars I would have. Another great book by Martina Cole. She just gets better.
Gerry
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marj
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*spoilers ahead* took a long time but was finally glad when Aiden died. I was wishing for him to death halfway through the book and i was sure that was his obly end. Jusy didnt knew how. Aiden is a hard character to like he was such a ass that i dont know why it took that long to kill him. As for the rest, i didnt like any of the characters except for Jade and Agnes , but they also got but storylines. I was hoping Agnes can be free of Aiden, be different from her mother and live the way she want ...more
Sandy
  • The Wronged
  • Rise and Fall
  • Lost Angel
  • Runaway Girl
  • Blood Sister (Flesh and Blood Trilogy #1)
  • Piruze - Şam'da Bir Türk Gelin
  • The Ultimate Gift
  • Kördüğüm
Martina Cole was born and brought up in Essex. She is the bestselling author of fourteen novels set in London's gangland, and her most recent three paperbacks have gone straight to No. 1 in the Sunday Times on first publication. Total sales of Martina's novels stand at over eight million copies.

“Her nephew, Aiden Junior, and his girl were hanging on to each other for dear life, just happy being” 0 likes
“Eric” 0 likes