Start by marking “Lost Classics” as Want to Read:
Lost Classics

Lost Classics

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Contains essays that cover such classics as Dr Glas, first published in Sweden in 1905; The Journey of the Stamp Animals; Life of Rossini; The Pilgrim Hawk by Glenway Westcott; The Headmaster's Papers by Richard A Hawley; and, The Story of Harold by Terry Andrews.
Published by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Lost Classics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Classics

Nan
Oct 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a nice anthology. Lost, overlooked, loved, and forgotten authors write about loved, lost, and overlooked books. My reading list grew exponentially.
astried
Here's the thing. Avid reader can be really snobbish. They want to make sure they've read all the "in" books (including the pretentious ones I suppose) but they also want to be seen as discerning reader, the one that read the marvelous book that nobody else is smart enough to find. Is that why I was reading this? To find some forgotten jewel of a book, read it and stick my nose up on the air? maybe..........softly i whisper my answer..

3stars... some of them couldn't be defined as lost in any int
Anne
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's kind of a literary sampler, and "Lost Classics" probably reveals a lot more about the 74 contributors than the titles they have personally selected as elusive lost classics. Beyond their general obscurity, the common thread in most of the choices is that the champions of each book are delighted with how inventively and persuasively their authors use language to communicate. Most enjoyable are the remembrances from childhood and adolescence where books are truly discovered for the first, but ...more
Eustacia Tan
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nlb-ereads
This book sounded interesting and I figured that I was either going to give up within 50 pages, or I'd love it so the most I'd waste is a little bit of time. Books about books tend to be polarising like that. Luckily for me, this book was under "love it" for me.

Lost Classics contains 74 recommendations from various authors (I've heard of two of them, have read maybe one). All the books recommended here are somehow lost, and some of them are just books that the authors met and was unable to read
Jon
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up Lost Classics because one of its essays reviews the Codex Seraphinianus--a book I'm mildly obsessed with at the moment. The essays, like the books they review, are a mixed bag. Some are wonderfully written odes to lost gems, and I've added several books to my "to read" list because of them. Some are deeply personal descriptions of childhood reading experiences that can never be recovered. Some I just don't get, but that's okay. Many of the reviews are for books of poetry, and there a ...more
Avis Black
Mar 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
This volume contains essays about various writers' favorite books that have slipped between the cracks. Lost Classics is much more interesting reading than many 'I recommend this book' books, which tend to repeat the same small number of boring bestsellers and ephemeral mid-list books about the fad-of-the-day.
Sydney
Jun 07, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, essays
Different people describe a favourite book that is out of print now. Actually a very enjoyable little book but frustrating because you know the books are not available. Interesting idea though. Like a conversation between friends.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A keeper. Authors write about obscure books that changed their lives, books we readers should find and read.
Sean
Jul 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is great. it led me to Akutagawa Ryunosuke and Haldor Laxness
Wes
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
Good reviews and recommended reads.
Elizabeth
Jan 07, 2017
Erik
Apr 02, 2011
Luke
rated it did not like it
May 29, 2017
Jan 29, 2012
carrieprice78
Feb 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Book of Lost Books: An Incomplete History of All the Great Books You'll Never Read
  • Great Books for Every Book Lover: 2002 Great Reading Suggestions for the Discriminating Bibliophile
  • 500 Great Books By Women
  • Among the Gently Mad: Strategies and Perspectives for the Book-Hunter in the 21st Century
  • Shelf Life: Romance, Mystery, Drama, and Other Page-Turning Adventures from a Year in a Book store
  • A Great Idea at the Time: The Rise, Fall, and Curious Afterlife of the Great Books
  • Book Finds: How to Find, Buy, and Sell Used and Rare Books
  • A Reading Diary: A Passionate Reader's Reflections on a Year of Books
  • Slightly Chipped: Footnotes in Booklore
  • How to Read a Novel
  • Bound to Please: An Extraordinary One-Volume Literary Education
  • The New Lifetime Reading Plan: The Classic Guide to World Literature, Revised and Expanded
  • Second Reading: Notable and Neglected Books Revisited
  • The King's English: Adventures of an Independent Bookseller
He was born to a Burgher family of Dutch-Tamil-Sinhalese-Portuguese origin. He moved to England with his mother in 1954. After relocating to Canada in 1962, Ondaatje became a Canadian citizen. Ondaatje studied for a time at Bishops College School and Bishop's University in Lennoxville, Quebec, but moved to Toronto and received his BA from the University of Toronto and his MA from Queen's Universit ...more
More about Michael Ondaatje...