Start by marking “Girl Soldier” as Want to Read:
Girl Soldier

Girl Soldier

Rain Wilson thought she knew where she came from. A small farming town, forgotten and missed by everyone. After learning that her estranged mother is missing, she embarks on a daring journey to find her. Unfortunately, she uncovers a trail of lies and deceit that makes her wonder...how far will she really go to save her mother? Before long, Rain realizes that even motherly ...more
Published February 26th 2016 by Yoshima Books

To ask other readers questions about Girl Soldier, please sign up.
T.R. Horne I definitely think so!!! Lots of action, some evolving love, and suspense.

Start your review of Girl Soldier
AudioBookReviewer
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My original Girl Soldier audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

T.R. Horne crafts an incredibly suspense story with an interesting main character.  Rain Wilson is a girl with a missing history.  She has no idea who she is or where she came from.  All she knows is that she is on the trail to finding her estranged mother and will stop at nothing to find her.

Holly Lindin provides the narration for Girl Soldier and does a really nice job with it.   Production quality and
Rose
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads Giveaways.

This has a lot of well-written action and the plot moves along nicely and stays interesting. It isn't always very believable, especially in the beginning when she is immediately accepted into CIA training, but it is all very exciting. It doesn't have the most conclusive ending and seems to be open to a sequel.

It is a bit over the top sometimes, with things like Rain wailing and her quaking body crumpling to the floor. There are als
Donna Foster
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
This is such an impressive book that I did something I never do when reading a book - I paused in the middle and flipped to the ending because I just had to know.
B.A. Spicer
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it

An action-packed thriller, this book is an exciting, fast-paced read. Rain is a young girl living on a farm with her father at the beginning of the book. Life seems idyllic. What she doesn’t yet know is that her parents are CIA agents, one in retirement and the other presumed a traitor and a threat to national security.

When Christopher Dalton, an important figure in the CIA, demands that Tolly come back into the service to find his wife, Rain’s life changes dramatically. She rises to the chall
G.J. Griffiths
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, my-reviews
Girl Soldier is an action-packed thriller with plenty of twists and turns and an intriguing plot. I found the central protagonist, Rain, likeable and suitably complex for me to care about and root for right to the end. She has thoughts and emotions which this reader could believe in considering the dramatic events and situations, amazing revelations and various love interests that come her way and into which she plunges. The dialogue was real and believable throughout the story, except for the v ...more
Scott
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is T.R. Horne’s second novel and is quite different than Breaking Mobius, her first novel. Girl Soldier begins calmly enough on a quiet farm but quickly elevates to an intense, fast-paced novel about a woman whose faith and love allow her to accomplish things she would’ve never dreamed possible.

There is a humanity with which Horne crafts her novels. Throughout college my literature professors would discuss what it means to be human - the human experience. Horne’s characters are human. Rain,
carlita_is_probably_reading
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
**Won in a GoodReads Giveaway**

This was a thriller that sucked me in from the prologue! It had just the right amount of action and a little bit of a budding love interest between Rain and her second shot partner Willow. This is not my typical go to genre but I actually enjoyed the action!

I wasn't expecting that particular ending and it left me thinking if there will be a continuation of the story...I would definitely read it should the author decide to pursue what happens next!

Mattie
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I first received this book through a Goodreads giveaway. I honestly have never heard of this book or author before so I was very skeptical about entering the contest and winning the book. My copy came with a notecard of the authors previous books and she did sign my copy of "Girl Soldier." I wish she did send me a letter or something to prove the authenticity of the book. This book only had 300 pages, it was a quick read for me and I rather enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

This book is ba
Jeremy Reppy
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Growing up on a Colorado ranch, Rain Wilson's biggest worries were making sure the animals did not escape and trying to thwart the efforts of Rebecca, the young widow at the neighboring ranch, from insinuating herself in the life (and hopefully the bed) of Rain's father, Tolley. However, everything changed the day her father took her to the shooting range and had her try out a sniper rifle, which she was surprising adept at using; her father had taught her to use a hunting rifle quite well, but ...more
Ivory R
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I liked Rain from the beginning, she's snarky, brave, courageous, stubborn and naive as often the young can be. She starts out wanting to find her mother after not having seen in her ten years. As the story progresses, Rain is drawn ever deeper into the world of espionage and shadows. She learns secrets about her parents that make her do a double take and realize how sheltered her life has been. She also realizes that the quiet life she disliked is definitely a better place for her to be.

I think
Pegboard
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
From having a family, to working a full time job, and working on her doctorate T.R. Horne still has time to write novels that keeps you flipping the pages. She states her life is lackluster, but you would never guess that from the characters that come alive in her books.
Soldier Girl is full of suspense, hope, revenge, and waiting for the next book. Rain is a young woman who lives on a farm with her father dreaming of a time her mother will come back to them. She didn’t quite understand why her m
Dermot Davis
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story that started off quietly and very quickly accelerated into an action-packed read. I really liked the main character, Rain. Only eighteen years old, she was like an old soul and wonderfully wise for her age. Because her dad was an ex-CIA agent, she also got to learn amazing skills for survival and self-defense. Her main skill was with a rifle and it is this talent that takes her places, quite literally. Although she makes some dangerous and life-threatening decisions to use her sk ...more
Charmaine Pauls
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rain embarks on a mission to find her estranged mother, but can never guess the depth of danger, deceit, crime, and lies her journey will bring. Ultimately, her chosen path will either get her killed, or turn her into a great soldier.

I thoroughly enjoyed the plot, but even more so getting to know and spending time with an entertaining cast of characters. Each of them is unique, authentic, and loveably flawed. Tolley, for all his fatherly heroism, courage, and wisdom, is my favorite. The heroine
Lori
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. Suspense, lots of action, betrayal, mystery everything you need to keep you glued to a really good book.

Every family has secrets, but Rain's family secrets put her on a path that take her into the world of the CIA.

Holly Lindin did a great job narrating the story. The pace, clarity of narration, different character voices, everything was great.

Very entertaining book. This is a book that I will listen to repeatedly and recommend often.

This audiobook was provided by t
Danessa Violette
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jaw dropping!
Beautifully written. This book was actually recommend to me through my book club. We all agree that this book is one of the best we ever shared. We had a virtual standing ovation!!
From the first page I was mesmerized by the story. Without spoiling the outcome, what a stunning ending. Bravo* I'm hooked, looking forward to reading more from the author!

Review copy kindly provided via Reading Alley in exchange for an honest review!
Natasha
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I took the long commute into the office so that I could finish this book -- I refused to put it down!

Horne does a fantastic job of creating characters I immediately care about.

Can't wait to read her next effort!
One-Click
Apr 24, 2016 marked it as dnf
Audiobook - Narration Holly Lindin, ok

Right now, I can't finish this. It's too rediculously unbelievable. I feel like after an hour and forty minutes I should be enjoying this but I'm just not, so for now, I'm throwing in the towel.
Dawn
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was my first book by TR Horne. I have two things to say...WOW!!! Wow!!!! I could not put this book down!!!! From start to finish I felt like I was right there with the characters. Rain is a total badass and I wanted to smack Prescott or give him a hug depending on where I was at in the story. This is one of those books that you don't want to end and I hope there are others to follow with these characters in them. ...more
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Girl Soldier is a wonderfully intriguing, tense read that keeps you tangled in the story until all the secrets are revealed.Rain is a beautifully written leading character, that struggles through emotions and trials with true strength. The only distraction I could find was the changing point of views as you read, which became confusing at time, otherwise, I would highly recommend this story.
Connie
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I received this book through a Goodreads Giveaway. Thank you to T.R. Horne for my autographed copy. This was a good book. There is lots of suspense and some surprises along the way. I can imagine that it would make a good movie as well.
Francais Parker
Guy-Hero: B
Love-Interests: B+
Suspense: A+
Feels: A

For you clean-readers: this book does NOT have mature content.
Kevin Patel
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Girl Soldier is an action packed novel that begins innocently enough with a young Rain Wilson living on a farm in Colorado with her father, Tolley. Her simple life is suddenly turned upside down when she finds out that her father is a former CIA agent, and that her mother (also an agent) who abandoned her when she was a child returned to the field and is now M.I.A. with fears she may be a rogue agent. When Tolley refuses to help CIA chief of staff Christopher Dalton find his wife, Rain steps up; ...more
S.J. Francis
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An outstanding novel I highly recommend!
It was the synopsis of this book that caught my attention right away. The story and beautiful writing kept me riveted. How far would you go to rescue your mother? How far would you go to find the truth?
“Rain Wilson thought she knew where she came from. A small farming town, forgotten and missed by everyone. After learning that her estranged mother is missing, she realizes there is a lot she doesn't know about the man who has raised her. She's waited for
Terry Pearson
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I won a copy of Girl Soldier in a giveaway on goodreads. It has in no way nor would I allow it to influence my review.

For a thriller, this book hit the spot for me. Rain , the protagonist in the story, is easily likable . Packed with action and suspense, the story was interesting, had a good flow and didn't disappoint me except that I had the feeling there is something missing toward the end , like the story wasn't finished. Maybe there's to be a Soldier Girl #2?
Donna K
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a book. I enjoyed this book tremendously. This is the type of book you get lost in. Rain, Prescott, Tolley, and all these characters were easy to visualize and journey with. The locations that this book took place in were easy to imagine. This was the type of book that makes me think I should find another book by this author.
I read this book for Reading Alley in exchange for an honest review. ow what a book
April
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
"This audiobook was provided by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review courtesy of Audiobook Blast."

Lots of action, lots of adventure, some of it unbelievable some of it frightening. It left me wanting more.

The narration was well done. The characters were excellently portrayed.
Shon Mok
Lacie Whitcome
May 01, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Flyleaf Killer
  • Genesis (Extinction, #1)
  • A Restless Wind
  • The Sense of Touch
  • Howl’s Moving Castle (Howl’s Moving Castle, #1)
  • Shifter's Hope (Spirit Walkers Saga, #1)
  • Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3)
  • A Pigeon's Tale
  • Night Film
  • The Woman in White
  • The Key to Skandos: A tale of adventure, love and magic
  • Pilgrims at the White Horizon
  • The Bourne Supremacy (Jason Bourne, #2)
  • Hitler's Last Days: The Death of the Nazi Regime and the World's Most Notorious Dictator
Hey ya'll!

I'm an avid reader (and author). I host a book review blog at www.ragingbookreviews.com and I also do video reviews, share book hauls and do book giveaways on my YouTube channel under Yoshima Books. Make sure to subscribe to never miss a review or a giveaway. I read a bit of everything so you'll get a diverse set of reviews and updates on lots of advanced readers by following my blog or