Start by marking “Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary” as Want to Read:
Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary

Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary

4.57  ·  Rating details ·  76 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
This is not an ordinary dictionary. After all, you wouldn't expect an 'Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary' to be ordinary, would you? Lots of dictionaries tell you what an 'alligator' is, or how to spell 'balloon' but they won't explain the difference between a 'ringbeller' and a 'trogglehumper', or say why witches need 'gruntles' eggs' or suggest a word for the shape of a 'Knid ...more
Published June 2nd 2016 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary

Jessica
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is great. For anyone who has read the work of Roakd Dahl you know how he has a knack for using ridiculous, off the wall word a, and making them work perfectly. This is a collection of those words along with meanings. The illustrations s are typical to what you see in his books; wonderful and goofy. This is sure to be loved by both children and adults.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OXFORD ROAL DAHL DICTIONARY
Written by Roald Dahl and Susan Rennie
Edited by Susan Rennie
Illustrated by Quentin Blake
September 1, 2016; 288 Pages
Oxford University Press
Genre: children's, nonfiction, reference, humour, roald dahl's books

(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review.)

★★★★★

I love that this book exists! It takes words and gives it a Road Dahl twist...including novels and characters as examples. It is not a book you can sit down and read cover to cover...it is
Kim
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, kindle, net-galley
I saw this book mentioned on television yesterday and I when I spotted it on Net Galley I had to request a copy to look through. As a real Roald Dahl fan as a youngster this was a real spectacular. It is full of the fantastic illustrations that pepper his books and in full colour. It's a gorgeous book. It would make an ideal gift for both young and old Dahl fans and a brilliant addition to sit next to the book collection on the bookshelf.

The blurb states that 'only really interesting words are a
Beyond the Pages
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Quick Summary: An utterly delightful resource for adults and kids alike

Review: The Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary is 100%, hands down a winner in my book. I loved, loved, loved it! It was colorful, engaging, humorous and educational. I loved the word variety, the illustrations, the breakdown by section, and the associated references with word use from Dahl's collection of stories. From start to finish, it captivated me. The only thing I would like to have seen included would be a pronunciation gui
Karen
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fantabulous resource for readers, from its first ordinary entry of "aardvark", ( "every dictionary starts with one"), to its last "zozimus"! Perfect for anyone who loves to "gobblefunk" words and create "spoonerisms" too. Roald Dahl fans in particular will want to snatch up a few copies to keep on hand for gifts, or for when you just can't remember what a "Knid" or "whizzpopper" means. This is one of those books that will endure for generations, like an "everlasting gobstopper". Topped off wit ...more
Kirsty
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

This is beyond your typical dictionary, this is a Roald Dahl dictionary, so you can expect words such as babblement, from The BFG, and even character names, such as Augustus Gloop, to make appearances among the more normal words.

This book is a must have for any Roald Dahl fan/collector. It contains references to many of his other books throughout, which made me so nostalgic while reading.

The artwork is
Wayne McCoy
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
'Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary' compiled by Susan Rennie, illustrated by Quentin Blake, with original text by Roald Dahl is a Roald Dahl approved, actual Oxford Dictionary for children (and fans of Roald Dahl).

The dictionary starts with a nice illustrated guide to how to use this dictionary. The words that were made up by Roald Dahl are in blue. Just about all of the entries include a sentence showing how the word is used in a Roald Dahl book. The reader is encouraged to find rhymes or ways to us
Kid Lit Reviews
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Children will enjoy using the Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary. One can easily flip from page to page learning new words or interesting common words, all the while giggling. Every word Dahl invented, every place and character he created, and various Dahl story illustrations are only in the Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary.

The illustrations are pure Dahl. Actually, they are pure Quentin Blake, Dahl’s principal illustrator. Blake includes his images from Dahl stories and then adds new illustrations exclus
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this and I know I would have loved it as a kid,
It is a dictionary and as all dictionaries, it starts with the letter A and lists all words with their meanings. But the definitions are not boring, they are fun and always followed by a quote from one of Dahl's books as an example of the word in use.

For instance for the adjective -adult- we have the following:

An adult book is one that grown-ups think you are too young to read.
'But does it not intrigue you' Miss Honey said, 'that a little f
Di
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: So many people! Especially fans of Roald Dahl and children.
I adore Roald Dahl. And I'm thrilled that I had the opportunity to get hold of an eARC. Thank-you NetGalley!

Roald Dahl is a personal childhood favourite and something I cannot wait to share with my children when they are old enough. I even enjoy re-reading the novels and rhymes as an adult, so I was just besotted with this dictionary! I think it is a wonderful addition to any library and I am going to be searching for a hard copy of this as soon as they become available.

Beautifully presented (w
pati
This dictionary is a lot of fun, "only the most interesting words are allowed in this dictionary". At first I was biffsqiggled by the dictionary but then realized how clever this book is. Roald Dahl has created some really fantastic words and this is the place to find out what they mean! Best to read the How to use this dictionary page before you start looking up words.
Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for a Roald Dahl fan. Fun way to locate those invented words that Dahl was so famous for. It's just what it says it is, a Roald Dahl Dictionary. I would note that it isn't exclusively his invented words, there are plenty of regular words in there as well to flesh it out a bit. There's a good chance your average person wouldn't have much use for this, this is more for fans.
Annabee
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
JE RAAKT NIET UITGELEZEN

Een waarschuwing ten aanzien van 'Roald Dahl Woordenboek', van AAIEN tot ZWOEVIG, is op zijn plaats: je raakt niet uitgelezen. En het is een stimulans om alle boeken van Roald Dahl te herlezen. Precieus!

Een fantastelijke uitgave van Van Dale, samengesteld door Susan Rennie, bewerkt door Heidi Aalbrecht en Pyter Wagenaar.
Prachtige lay-out, met voorin een handleiding hoe het woordenboek te gebruiken. De Wist je dat?s leren je iets over de geschiedenis van woorden. Andere t
Taryn
Very playful and fun dictionary that encourages kids to be creative with words.

The pages are filled with bright colors and Quentin Blake's very recognizable illustrations. Only words that Ronald Dahl used are included in this dictionary. It has regular words like allowed ("If you are allowed to do something, it means that grown-ups will not try to stop you from doing it."), but it also has words unique to Ronald Dahl's books like gloriumptious ("A gloriumptious experience is one that you find wo
Lisa Bentley
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of my earlier memories as a reader is of me sitting in my mum’s car (which was stationary on our driveway) and refusing to leave because I was reading a really good book. That book was Fantastic Mr Fox by Roald Dahl. The reason I mention this rather quirky reading location is because that memory has stuck with me and I think that great books can do that to you. If I have a memory of reading a book then I think it must have been good.

I loved Roald Dahl’s dastardly books. They were not your us
Anna
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love Roald Dahl because thanks to him and Johnny Depp with his spectacular Willy Wonka I discovered Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and an imaginary world interesting and captivating. I read all the Wonka books and I continued with many others as well.

So I requested without any kind of hesitation apart a Road Dahl biography for trying to understand much better who this author was in real life, The Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary by Susan Rennie and Roald Dahl published by the Oxford University
Margie aka The Bumble Girl
Happy 100th birthday, Roald Dahl!!!

And what better way to celebrate this day than with a new book!
But not just any book! A DICTIONARY with all of all the ridiculous, silly words that Dahl ever used in his books!

This book is not to be read from cover to cover since it is meant to be used as a dictionary. It not only has all of Dahl's made-up words, but many additional words that Dahl used in his writing and what he meant them to mean. Many of us forget that most words aren't meant to be taken so
Adriane Watt
Nov 20, 2016 marked it as to-read
Citation by: Adriane Watt

Type of Reference: Dictionary

Content/Scope: A dictionary targeted to 9-12 year olds or grades 3rd-7th. This book has 288 pages of fun words that not any ordinary dictionary would have. It is for students who love the Ronald Dahl books and with students in the elementary setting that is a lot of them.

Accuracy/Authority/Bias: This book is from the Oxford Dictionary setting and is set aside for students that want more creative words that not any other ordinary dictionary w
❇Critterbee
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When I first read the title, I thought that this would be a dictionary of characters and terms found in Roald Dahl's books. Those are included, in a delightful way, however this is more than merely a compendium of Roald Dahlisms: this is actually a very functional dictionary of the English language.

It is appropriate for all ages because of the Dahl characters and terms, but seems to be aimed at younger readers and writers. Encouragement for young writers is found throughout the book. This is an
Theediscerning
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Just as the masterful writer's books were very sensible and reasonable ones tinged with a strong element of craziness (and craziness of the good kind, as far as I ever read them and can remember), so this dictionary seems to be quite daffy but is probably full of a lot of serious sense. It limits itself to the words the editors think are useful and that Dahl himself used, or just plain invented, but that's enough to be going on with. Everything has a definition and an example of usage, and often ...more
Earl
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary is a wonderful companion to his books; an excellent addition to any library, in fact.

This is without question an ideal book for young readers who are reading, or have read, Dahl's books. The fun nature of the dictionary coupled with his delightful books will help to make young readers into lifelong readers and learners. Reading and learning should be fun and this definitely makes it so.

Adults will also enjoy the playfulness of this dictionary, as well as taking y
Jessi
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, nonfiction
What a perfectly wonderful tribute to a wonderful author (if not always a wonderful human being). This book combines the recognizable illustrations of Dahl's books with the wonderfully creative language of the author himself. This book not only teaches about the language that Dahl used, but how he created his words. A nice combination. I wish that there had been more live links (for instance, being able to jump to a specific letter of the dictionary or being able to jump to a section when the bo ...more
Marzie
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-net-galley
I received this book from Net Galley in exchange for a fair review.

5+ Stars!

Anyone who says that this isn't a wonderful children's dictionary is talking bugswallop! It's wondercrump! Any child who loves Dahl's books will love this dictionary. It's also an excellent classroom companion for reading/teaching Dahl's books and understanding his word development. It's wacksey, too! 288 pages, with thorough references for Dahl's created words.

Strong recommend! Truly a delight.
Ryan
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It may seem funny to review a dictionary, but when it is put out by Roald Dahl it is a must read. This is a dictionary like no other. It includes real words, Dahl special invented words, characters, you name it. It is laid out in a fun way and includes illustrations. There are actually instructions in the beginning of the book that tell you how to use a dictionary, plus “did you know” facts and “look it up” clues for various words. A very well done dictionary.
TheGoldenApple
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked it. It tells the difference between words that sound the same. I liked the illustrations too. I also liked how there are words made up by Roald Dahl and actual words. The sample sentences are taken from Roald Dahl's books. It has random facts here and there. It was fun. I think I like it more than your usual dictionary. It depends, it is not very thick. I don't think it has as many words as most dictionaries. It's probably best to have both. Thanks to Netgalley for my copy.
Julie
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Roald Dahl dictionary? This is pure genius. The dictionary, aside from having definitions (duh), include sentences with examples of the words from many of Dahl's fabulous books. Some definitions also include a "Did you know?, rhymes, synonyms and tons of other quirky information. This is truly an enjoyable dictionary that children will enjoy.
*I received an ARAC via NetGalley & Oxford University Press in exchange for an honest review.
Belinda Missen
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
A copy of this book was generously provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Well, this is most definitely not your average dictionary. Contains regular words, as well as those words we know only Roald Dahl can concoct. There are examples, illustrations by the always amazing Quentin Blake, and more content that you can poke a stick out.

This would make a great gift for any Dahl enthusiast.
Beautifulday4makeup The-book-and-Me
I received the ebook in exchange for an honest review.

This is not your typical dictionary. I like the design, with the typical style of the books of Roald Dahl. I found it also very fun that some of the well know characters of his book are included in this dictionary. I would read it as such I think if I wasn't challenged to it, because it stays a dictionary. I think it is lovely to keep next to you when you read one of his books!
Nicol Legakis
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Wordsmiths and Dahl fans young and old will find this dictionary delightful, didactic, delectable, and diverting!

Did you know that abecedarium is an old fashioned reference to the alphabet? Well, I learned that on the very first page!

I can't wait until this is released in hardcover. I will add it to to a place of honor next to my other Oxford dictionary.

**I received a free copy of this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Sue
Jun 04, 2016 added it
I say 'read' but it's a dictionary. You don't read them, as such! I have flicked through and it is a fun way to present vocab, grammar rules, synonyms etc to young readers & authors. If I was still teaching, I would definitely be recommending it to parents and children alike.
« previous 1 3 next »
1 follower
Susan Rennie is a writer, researcher and lexicographer. She was Editor of the Dictionary of the Scots Language and the Historical Thesaurus of Scots projects at the Universities of Dundee and Glasgow. She has worked on The New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary and Chambers Dictionary, and is the chief editor of the Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary. Her monograph on Jamieson's Dictionary of Scots (OUP, ...more
More about Susan Rennie