Start by marking “The Twelve Apostles” as Want to Read:
The Twelve Apostles

The Twelve Apostles

Da den ene af de tolv førende advokater døde, var den ledige stol i det berømte advokatfirma Nelson & Clark den mest eftertragtede i branchen. Så frygtindgydende er dette advokatfirmas magt og indflydelse, at dets senior partnere er kendt som "De tolv apostle".

Den smukke Christina Giles brænder efter at overtage den ledige plads, og hun har alle de nødvendige
Published June 4th 1985 by Signet (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Twelve Apostles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelve Apostles

Start your review of The Twelve Apostles
Beverly Mccollum
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved this novel. An entertaining look at the intriguing world of high- powered lawyers and millionaire business executives. The hierarchy of a top New York law firm is very interesting. This legal work is populated with vivid characters adept at living in a rarefied world. Definitely recommend it.
Paul
Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it
BOTTOM-LINE:
Great business dealings, lousy everything else
PLOT OR PREMISE:
An elite law firm in NYC has 12 full partners, nicknamed the Apostles, and various members wheel and deal with big business clients as an opening comes available.
WHAT I LIKED:
The story has a very strong "Wall Street" feel to it, but the back and forth between two companies with their punches and counter-punches are fast-paced and real. Most stories in the genre have one or two "business" tricks, but this is much more
James Georger
I suppose it is a matter of taste: a) she rose and addressed the court. b) She rose on long, muscular, yet supple legs, and fixed her emerald green eyes upon the court. ( my words, my example).
I can't decide which is worshipped more in this book, physical beauty, or the rarefied atmosphere of a top law firm. It got to be a little much.
When lawyers compete to fill an "apostle" vacancy, those not chosen must leave the firm! What a stupid idea.....will there be a "next" opening? The front runners
Donna Whitley
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Page turner

I usually don't prefer long books, this book was intriguing, and characters were real. The writing in this book was superb and I am looking to read Mr. Williams next book.
Michael Adamchuk
This is about lawyers and mergers. Attorneys fighting for control of two big conglomerates. It's intertwined with the politics of law firms, personal lives of attorneys and the primary players in a las firm. Corporate versus personal ethics are also a pat of the story.
Kim Alexander
Pleasant read

Decent story with well developed characters. Not the best novel written but kept me fairly entertained. The last 50 pages were gripping, the end was a trifle disappointing, if not predictable. All in all, I enjoyed the read.
CAROL
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked reading about the hierarchy of the firm. Too bad the newer attorneys have to go to extremes to gets promotion.

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys entering this world of law and and lawyers from a safe distance
Kamlesh Gandhi
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting book. Enjoyed the flow . Author weaves so many characters into this story and they all blend very well in the narrative . The ending was little tame but nevertheless very absorbing plot
Chick Marks
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Reading a book written in 1984 in 2018 is trip in the way-back machine. A whole different perspective on stereotypes and feminism from what would be considered appropriate today.
Cathi Cantrell
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Intricate law novel with oh-so-many characters... page turner to-be-sure! Strong similarity, in my mind, of the 1980's hit TV series, L.A. Law. Cursing made me want to rate it 3-1/2 stars though.
RHONDA
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
A long read. I hurried at the end to get done. Way too technical in lawyer talk for me.
David Berkley
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Slow starting book

Plot took awhile to pan out. Didn't really get going until the last few chapters. Would read another of his books.
Leon
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read
Aravind
If Arthur Hailey had written about the world of corporate law, the result would have been like this one, more or less. It details the inner workings of a top notch corporate law firm, through a few days in the lives of its partners and associates. The story is engaging for the most part, with a few solid characters and some fast legal action.
But, there was too much legal technicalities towards the end, and some unconvincing characters, which made me enjoy it less than I would have liked.
Stanley Brown
Good read

For the better part of the story it was a great read. The ending was weak. I enjoyed it otherwise
Barbara Wilson
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great legal story

There were a lot of characters, but each one was very interesting. This book keeps you reading right up until the end.
Isabel Luna
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recuerdo que esta novela me causó una muy impresión. Hay muchos personajes pero en líneas generales todo gira en torno a Dan y Christina, dos abogados de una importante firma de Nueva York q se encuentran en pugna por un sitio entre "Los 12 Apóstoles", como son conocidos los socios de la firma donde trabajan. Ambos son brillantes profesionales y defienden sus casos con uñas y dientes porque solo uno de ellos llegará a la meta. Solo q en el camino, ambos descubren q están perdidamente enamorados ...more
Edward Weiss
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
I have come to this author late, after he had died in fact. It was a good thing I didn't come on this one when he first wrote it or before I came on to his Death Penalty, one of his Charley Sloan series, else I would have never had read anything he had written.

This one isn't to be recommended for a few reasons: (1) It's about a whole bunch or rich and powerful people and their intrigues, people and actions I care nothing about; (2) Even the non-rich and not quite powerful wooden characters are
Robert Beveridge
William J. Coughlin, The Twelve Apostles (Putnam, 1984)

It didn't take long to see that this one was going to my feeding my nearly-starved dustbunnies. The characters were completely wooden and presented in confusing fashion, too many plot threads were thrown at the reader all at once, and Coughlin gives his readers just one too many stereotypes by the time you get to the end of chapter three. With a bit more organization and some depth of character, this might have been a worthwhile book. As it
elizabeth
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book

love the thrill at the court hearings and the pressure of filing and trying to get all motions filled. For those who like the legal thrillers this is one you will want to read.
Heidi Thomas
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this good old-fashioned courtroom drama. I still like this genre although it seems like nobody is writing them anymore.
Ian
Aug 22, 2016 added it
dfsagrthdhfgsg
lenora crenshaw
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Attorney Book

Very exciting attorney novel with some difficult life and family issues of the kind that are often found in the careers of many professionals.
John P. Finerty
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Great Read.

Different than his other books,Coughlin brings together a cast of characters in a fast moving legal thriller. Exceptional read! One of his best!
Cynthia
Sep 09, 2018
doug dorn
Mar 30, 2017

• Without Precedent
  • Silent Witness (Cass Leary Legal Thriller #2)
  • A Murder Under The Bridge: A New "Broken Lawyer" Legal Thriller
  • Will of Justice: A Legal Thriller (Bill Harvey Book 1)
  • Redeeming Justice: A Legal Thriller (Bill Harvey Book 2)
  • Devil's Bargain (Cass Leary Legal Thriller #3)
  • Crucial Evidence (Cassie Hardman legal thriller Book 1)
  • The Broken Lawyer: A Legal Thriller
  • Felony Murder Rule (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #8)
  • Was It Murder?: A Prosecutor’s Dilemma
  • Stolen Justice (Cass Leary Legal Thriller #4)
  • No Time To Run (Michael Collins, #1)
  • Burden of Truth (Cass Leary Legal Thriller #1)
  • Vanished (Baudin & Dixon Trilogy #1)
  • Annie's Verdict (Michael Gresham #7; Annie the Profiler #1)
  • Force of Justice (Brad Madison Legal Thriller #1)
  • Dark Moon
  • Winter's Law (Talon Winter Legal Thrillers #1)
William Jeremiah Coughlin (1929-1992), former defense attorney and judge in Detroit for twenty years, was the author of sixteen novels. He lived in Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan with his wife, Ruth, an author and book critic.

Also wrote under the pseudonym of Sean A. Key.

News & Interviews

Well, here we all are, sheltering in place, buying canned beans, and generally trying to figure out how to stay inside and keep our minds busy....